Gitrog, Chains, Notion Thief and Dakmor Salvage

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

So I happened upon a situation where I think I *could* have killed someone and just missed it, as I was noodling on it after. Opp. had notion thief on the field, I had dakmor, fetch and chains in hand, frog on field.

After the fact I realized that I am pretty sure I could have done this:

With The Gitrog Monster on field, play chains of mephistopheles, play windswept heath and crack for gitrog draw

(With draw trigger on stack)
1. Apply chains replacement effect for draw, discard Dakmor Salvage
2. Replace draw from chains with dredge instead of Notion Thief, returning Dakmor Salvage to my hand, mill 2
3. place the gitrog monster trigger on the stack for Dakmor Salvage entering graveyard
4. place the gitrog monster trigger on the stack if I hit a land --> If I do, choose to apply Notion Thief allowing player to draw
5. Replace my draw from step 3 with Chains of Mephistopheles (repeat)

Eventually shortcut to "mill 2, you draw every time I hit a land, oops, I hit Kozilek, continue"

Am I thinking of this correctly? Essentially the shortcut of chains+dakmor+draw trigger results in "I mill 2 until I get bored" which results in "I mill 2 until you draw out."

Thanks Rules guys :)

Accepted Answer

by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago
Yes, this works. Do note that Chains applies to the draws that Notion Thief would give to your opponent, but as long as they had a card in hand to begin with and they don't interfere in any way, that just means they discard before drawing each time, they will still draw out if you repeat the loop enough times.
Go to full post

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

Yes, this works. Do note that Chains applies to the draws that Notion Thief would give to your opponent, but as long as they had a card in hand to begin with and they don't interfere in any way, that just means they discard before drawing each time, they will still draw out if you repeat the loop enough times.
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”