February MCC, Round 3 - Memories of Leylines

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Culling the Weak, by Scott M. Fischer and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
February MCC, Round 3 - Memories of Leylines

Welcome to the February MCC! It's Mana Production Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a planeswalker card that can produce mana with one or more of its loyalty abilities.
Subchallenge 1: Your card has an existing planeswalker type that is used on four or fewer cards to date
Subchallenge 2: Your card has one or more mana symbols in its text that are of a color the card is not

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, March 22nd 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, March 25th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: The card must say "Add(s) {some mana}" in the effect of one or more of its loyalty abilities.

Subchallenge 2: Yes, this is intentionally the same as the prior two rounds' subchallenge.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form.

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing

Players:
@bravelion83
@netn10
@Freyleyes
@Subject16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Narset, Ojutai Heretic 2UW
Legendary Planeswalker — Narset (M)
You may cast cards exiled with Narset, Ojutai Heretic. (You still pay their costs.)
+1: Add R. This mana can't be spent to cast spells from your hand or activate abilities of permanents you control.
-1: Target player may exile a card from their hand. If they don't, they exile the top two cards of their library.
-X: Choose target creature on the battlefield with mana value X or less or up to X target creature cards in graveyards. Exile the chosen cards.
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Koth, Resistance Failed 1
Legendary Planeswalker - Koth (Mythic)
Compleated
+1: If you control less lands than each opponent, put a Sphere, Locus or an artifact land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
-2: Add W for each different Sphere, Locus and artifact land you control. You lose 2 life for each mana added this way.
-5: Destroy all Mountains.
{1}

Freyleyes
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Freyleyes » 1 year ago

Oko, the Ambitious GUU
Legendary Planeswalker - Oko {M}
Whenever one or more creatures attack Oko, create a Food token.
+1: Tap up to one target creature and put a stun counter on it for each loyalty counter on Oko.
-2: Add X mana in any combination of R, W and/or B, where X is the number of tapped creatures target opponent controls.
-4: All creatures lose all abilities and become green Elk creatures with base power and toughness 2/2.
{ 1 }

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Just a reminder for @Subject16 to please get your entry in before midnight, if possible - if you need an extension, please let me know. To everyone else, the same reminder applies for edits: Please make sure your card is in the final form you would like it to be in by midnight!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Apologies for the late submission!

Grist, Devouring Swarm 1BB
Legendary Planeswalker — Grist (M)
+1: Create a 1/1 black and green Insect creature token with Devour 1.
-2: Sacrifice a creature. If you do, add X mana in any combination of B and/or G, where X is that creature's power.
-5: Destroy target creature. Create X 1/1 black and green Insect creature tokens with Devour 1, where X is that creature's power.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Okay, round is closed! This is the versus round, and the pairings are the following. The winner of each of these pairings will go on to the finals:

bravelion83 vs. Subject16
netn10 vs. Freyleyes

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Of the three psychographics, theft effects like this one tend to appeal to Jxnny and Spike, not to Txmmy.
(2/3) Elegance - This is a pretty easy to understand card in terms of what the point of it is, but there's also a lot of fiddly exiling from different places and a REALLY wordy +1.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Mythic is definitely right for a four-ability planeswalker, but I have to question whether this feels white or like Narset. The exiling from hand is DEFINITELY a black ability. I'm reminded of Ashiok or Tibalt specifically when masquerading as Valki, God of Lies.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - stealing opponents' stuff is powerful and all, as is potentially impulse drawing and recurring your own creature cards, but the +1 on this card is quite weak and it doesn't "wash" mana, meaning you have to make sure you have means to pay for all the things you exile.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The biggest unique aspect is being able to play cards from any player, which is cool, but I find clear inspo from the aforementioned planeswalker cards.
(2/3) Flavor - Again, this doesn't really feel fully like Narset's slate of abilities - maybe if you use the -1 to exile from the top of your library or -X to exile your own creature cards from the 'yard they do. Also odd that someone who still holds on to being Jeskai can use her red mana producing ability to "betray" other red players.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Symbols in the mana cost are reversed.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 18.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - This is a really Jxnny-focused card. Utility for Spike is limited and Txmmy is wondering why you'd want to blow up lands of a color you're in.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Did you mean for this to start with 3 loyalty and go down to 1 if you use compleated? As it stands, if you cast this by paying life for the {W/P} it will die immediately upon hitting the battlefield without some kind of outside effect, which is certainly confusing. Besides that, the first two loyalty abilities are somewhat wordy.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I very much understand what the white mana is doing here in terms of flavor (servitude to Norn), but it still feels off - the only white bit is the land catch-up ability. Otherwise, it all looks good as both a "reversed" Phyrexianized Koth and as a red 'walker.
(3/3) Balance - I don't have any issues here just because of how niche this card is. The use cases are highly specific to say the least - see my earlier comment about focus on Jxnny.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - No specific new ground being broken, but wow this is a DIFFERENT kind of planeswalker.
(3/3) Flavor - The flavor is where this card really succeeds. I very much see it as a twisted Koth.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - That +1 should say "fewer lands" and the -2 should say "each different name among…"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Koth is a planeswalker type with few printings, but this card is white and has white symbols in its text, so it does not pass the other subchallenge.

Total: 18.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Primarily a Jxnny and Spike card, but Txmmy can certainly appreciate the Food and mana.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Multiple sources of potential complication here, including a variable amount of mana being added in several colors, a triggered ability that creates a Food token, and permanently overwriting creatures.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Fits the colors, fits the rarity, fits as Oko.
(2.5/3) Balance - Even with a (low-loyalty) ultimate that's basically a wrath effect, I feel like 1 starting loyalty pushes this towards underpowered or underwhelming, particularly with the double-blue requirement making it more difficult to cast.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Nothing groundbreaking on its own, but several rather unexplored ideas here.
(3/3) Flavor - Sure - I like the name paired with the mana ability, as if Oko's ambition is to master the other colors as well.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Should be good.

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny have lots of "ins" here, although maybe this isn't QUITE efficient enough for Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Abilities that stack a bunch of counters on tokens are always a bit iffy, and

Development
(3/3) Viability - Fitting with the color, rarity, and subtype.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, this looks like it's in the right place and definitely fits aristocrats-type decks.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Certainly nothing that's all that new of a concept, but tokens with devour are certainly interesting.
(3/3) Flavor - Yup, the name and abilities definitely fit Grist.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Devour should actually not be capitalized here.

Total: 22/25

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And our finalists are Freyleyes and Subject16 - round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”