[OBK] Grist, the Hunger Tide: La Peste

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

I know nothing about OBK, but I do know that I like the card Smallpox and the Golgari color combination. How do we make this work?

25 lands to make sure we consistently hit our land drops up through turn 5 (~67%), 8 ramp spells to consistently get Grist out on turn 2 (~72%), a balance of fatties, reanimation spells, and removal to see one of each by turn 5 (~82%), and some tutors to find what we need.

This deck probably sucks, but it's a decent starting point I hope.

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

A few out of the gate thoughts:

- 25 lands seems very high for a deck with this much ramp. I would definitely shave that down a smidgen.
- Removal also feels a bit heavy for a deck with 'pox in the Command Zone. I might try to drop one with Tear Asunder as the clear weakest spell among your arsenal.
- If you are full-out optimizing for speed in oathbreaker and budget is no object (or you are proxying), I think it's worth seeing if you can squeeze in Lotus Petal, Elvish Spirit Guide, and the legal moxen to just get out a little bit ahead of your opponent.
- I'm not totally convinced Grist is doing a whole lot here? The three MV is nice and all as is making a dork token as a +1, but I was wondering if you'd considered Garruk Relentless // Garruk, the Veil-Cursed or Vraska, Golgari Queen instead.

In terms of what to add, in addition to the fast mana I mentioned, I just realized that RecSur is legal in Oathbreaker, so that seems pretty spicy.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
A few out of the gate thoughts:

- 25 lands seems very high for a deck with this much ramp. I would definitely shave that down a smidgen.
- Removal also feels a bit heavy for a deck with 'pox in the Command Zone. I might try to drop one with Tear Asunder as the clear weakest spell among your arsenal.
- If you are full-out optimizing for speed in oathbreaker and budget is no object (or you are proxying), I think it's worth seeing if you can squeeze in Lotus Petal, Elvish Spirit Guide, and the legal moxen to just get out a little bit ahead of your opponent.
- I'm not totally convinced Grist is doing a whole lot here? The three MV is nice and all as is making a dork token as a +1, but I was wondering if you'd considered Garruk Relentless // Garruk, the Veil-Cursed or Vraska, Golgari Queen instead.

In terms of what to add, in addition to the fast mana I mentioned, I just realized that RecSur is legal in Oathbreaker, so that seems pretty spicy.
Pox proper runs between 26-28 lands as well as 4 Dark Rituals. They also run Wasteland, which is a pseudo-spell, but the deck is still roughly half mana. I could see going down to 24 lands, though.

I agree about the removal.

I sold my Diamond years and years ago. RIP. I put Chrome in in my archidekt draft. Petal and ESG could do some work, but I think permanent mana sources are a lot better.

As for Grist, well, she's deceptively strong. The self-mill is useful, especially with Vampiric and Seal. In a pinch she can take out opposing Oathbreakers or problematic creatures, and her ultimate, while mediocre, is still an alt-win condition. She may be less directly impactful than Garruk or Vraska, but a turn 3 Smallpox is much, much stronger than turn 4 or 5. I think Garruk kind of sucks, and Vraska is better as a grindy deck. Grist is all in on disruption and reanimating while everyone is recovering.

RecSur is gross. I will have no part in it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Variant Commander”