Looking for Articles to assist with set creation.

Iceboundjester8
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Iceboundjester8 » 1 year ago

What is the best way to go about getting sources that assist with creating story and card concepts that flow with each other to make a set feel "Full and complete". I've located nuts and bolts but i was wondering if there were any articles about the connection with story elements.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

I assume that means you've read Mark Rosewater's many articles about creating full sets, which are the best design resource out there. I myself, several years ago, wrote an article that goes into matching flavor to function specifically on legendary creatures, but I'm unaware of any articles on the specific issue you're describing.

Other posters will definitely have advice to offer, however.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 1 year ago

Iceboundjester8 wrote:
1 year ago
What is the best way to go about getting sources that assist with creating story and card concepts that flow with each other to make a set feel "Full and complete". I've located nuts and bolts but i was wondering if there were any articles about the connection with story elements.
There used to be a creative-oriented column called Savor the Flavor. Maybe digging into the archives will help, though many of them currently are 404 thanks to a recent update to their infrastructure. :/

One thing I do when making a set is create a small "Planeswalker's Guide" where I list any concepts I have come up with and make sure to put in all proper names I introduce in a flavor text or cardname (loosely categorized by "Locations", "People", "Factions") regularly go back to it when I need a hole to fill. I make certain every card has its place, and write a short description. If I notice e. g. a Location is associated with only a single card, I might come up with a top-down design that fits there or make sure to tie an existing card to it by name-dropping it in the flavor text.

The end result is that for each thing you mention on a card there is another card that gives context to it.

If I have to cut a flavor text from a card for space or a card from the set, it stays in the document, too, as long as the idea still fits your vision of the setting.

Iceboundjester8

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
I assume that means you've read Mark Rosewater's many articles about creating full sets, which are the best design resource out there. I myself, several years ago, wrote an article that goes into matching flavor to function specifically on legendary creatures, but I'm unaware of any articles on the specific issue you're describing.

Other posters will definitely have advice to offer, however.
No! Thank you, this helps very much! :grin:

Iceboundjester8

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
1 year ago
Iceboundjester8 wrote:
1 year ago
There used to be a creative-oriented column called Savor the Flavor. Maybe digging into the archives will help, though many of them currently are 404 thanks to a recent update to their infrastructure. :/

One thing I do when making a set is create a small "Planeswalker's Guide" where I list any concepts I have come up with and make sure to put in all proper names I introduce in a flavor text or cardname (loosely categorized by "Locations", "People", "Factions") regularly go back to it when I need a hole to fill. I make certain every card has its place, and write a short description. If I notice e. g. a Location is associated with only a single card, I might come up with a top-down design that fits there or make sure to tie an existing card to it by name-dropping it in the flavor text.

The end result is that for each thing you mention on a card there is another card that gives context to it.

If I have to cut a flavor text from a card for space or a card from the set, it stays in the document, too, as long as the idea still fits your vision of the setting.
I love this "Storyboard" approach! I haven't thought about noting possible connections to a card via similar descriptions of what could be in lore before. This helps tremendously! Thank you! :grin:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”