What counter type would be best to use for this concept?

Which would you recommend?

Lore Counters
67%
Create New Counter
33%
Other(Please leave comment if so)
No votes

Total votes: 3

Iceboundjester8
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Iceboundjester8 » 1 year ago

Hello! I am working on creating a block set of custom mtg sets. Within of which I will be needing a counter type to keep track of for abilities on some cards. However, I am struggling to determine what type I should use and what would be most appropriate or if I should create a new counter for this instance instead.

The concept is an ability that can put counters on a permanent, such as lore counters. Something to track value without allowing the card to gain any initial value in ability. I've thought of experience counters but that is for players only. So far I've been using lore counters but this feels wrong since wizards has made them the default for sagas. That said lore counters fits this roll best so far.

Examples of how the counter would be used,
Example 1
a. Whenever a Creature you control ETBs, put a lore counter on THIS CARD.
b. 2G,Tap: Create 0/0 token. Put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of lore counters on THIS CARD.

Example 2
a. Take control of target creature and put 3 lore counters on it. It gains, "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a lore counter. Then if there are no lore counters on this creature , return it to its owners control."

Example 3
a. Whenever a creature delt damage by THIS CARD this turn dies, put a lore counter on THIS CARD.
b. 1W,Remove X lore counters: Exile target creature with converted mana cost equal to X.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Counter type names are basically for flavor, so this depends on the flavor of these effects and the world! Can you elaborate a little more? I think the community will be able to give you better suggestions in that case.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Iceboundjester8

Well, conceptually, in the first example, the card is of creature type and its lore is of a professor who studies within beasts and creatures of the surrounding plane. The ability in this case would be transcribing the capability of skill and experience with the teacher and their subject allowing to "show the performance of the result" by creating an artifact/or "taming a beast of such" that is the power and toughness equal to the amount of experience this creatures' value in counters of the respected type.

With the second example, it takes form as a instant or sorcery, but could be placed on a permanent temporarily. With lore this would be showing taming of beasts, creating artifacts that take hold of said permanents control, or just some other fun feature that works within the same mechanical matter.

As for the third example, this is one part of a cycle that I have present in one of the sets where the cycle ability is "Whenever a creature delt damage by THIS CARD this turn dies, put a lore counter on THIS CARD." The actually unique ability for this card in the cycle is based on the "White Protection" spells that exists already in magic. Inspiration for the concept with the Counter type adaption came from mother of runes and swords/path. So it was made mechanically with no lore connection in mind. However, it would most likely be a moment of restraint or permanent encampment being flavorfully depicted.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

I think you should feel comfortable using lore counters. There's no mechanical reason they're tied only to Sagas.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Iceboundjester8

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
I think you should feel comfortable using lore counters. There's no mechanical reason they're tied only to Sagas.
I agree, hence, me using them already within this context. I mainly am looking for outside input as I don't want to make this set with lore counters in mind and have someone confuse them with sagas within my set for limited purposes.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

I generally try and keep counter names specific to the mechanic that utilizes them, even when the mechanic is spread over numerous cards. So lore counters (to me, at least) would be exclusive to sagas, level counter exclusive to permanents with [card=Lighthouse Chronologist]level up, and so on.

Magic does have a few counters that are more related to card types than mechanics: charge counters (for artifacts), and more recently, oil counters for Phyrexians. but I don't think your creatures would fall under either of those categories.

Something simple and straightforward -- Skill counters, perhaps?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”