Manabond

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Have any of you played Manabond in EDH?

It's very all-or-nothing. For those of you who played it, what kind of deck did it fit in? What were your experiences with it?

Tags:

MRHblue
Pronoun: he / him

Post by MRHblue » 4 years ago

I have seen it in Muldrotha, but unless you land it T1 with some sort of large number of lands, it seems bad.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I haven't personally played with Manabond, but I do have one deck that would probably be interested if I found myself with a copy: Tatyova, Benthic Druid. In that deck, I generally draw more lands than I can actually play, and any lands I do play will replace themselves, so discarding my nonland cards isn't a significant downside.

I've also heard of people playing it alongside Damia, Sage of Stone, who can just refill your hand after you discard it. Could also be good in Muldrotha, the Gravetide, since you can play anything you discard out of your graveyard (and if you're replaying lands from your graveyard, then they may be building up in hand).

On the other hand, it has a lot of redundancy with Azusa, Lost but Seeking, Exploration, Burgeoning, and other ways to play extra lands, all of which are a bit easier to use / lower variance than Manabond. Ghirapur Orrery does have some fun interactions though.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I played it in Gitrog and it was pretty hit or miss. Sometimes it was gross.

It's insane with Words of Wind in Damia.

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

I love it. 72 lands with manabond etc. Don't have a decklist posted, but it's Thrasios&Tymna. It has enough redundancy that it's still playable as a deck, probably, even if I've barely played it so I can't say for sure. I love dropping it early and getting like 5 lands off it. Untapping T2 with 7 lands in play and topdecking Animist's Awakening to get another 5 lans into play has to be the most explosive start I've gotten, ramp-wise, in the format. The deck isn't super great at making use of those lands, so it's still not amazing, but it's a very fun deck.

It's not that bad later either. Treasure Hunt into Manabond have gotten me 13+ lands into play.

I'd probably never run it outside lands.dec though.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

I think it's a surprisingly safe include in ramp decks. The ability is a may, so you only have to use it when you want it. Honestly one of the strongest albeit situational CMC 1 green cards and the closest thing to edh-legal fastbond.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

I ran it in my old Muldrotha, the gravetide deck. Great way to stock your yard and ramp super fast

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Currently trying to make it work in this Tatyova decklist .
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Seems a lot better with the Modern Horizon draw lands (Nurturing Peatland, Waterlogged Grove, etc) and Life from the Loam. You can just keep putting 3 lands into play and still get your draw, although because you sacrifice a land you'll only be two lands up. But that's a draw and two additional land drops for the turn.

Omnath, Locus of the Roil, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, The Gitrog Monster, seem like prime candidates.

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

You could combine it with Library of Leng. That might be too cute but it is a possibility. Goes well with Damia as mentioned.
They're both Griffith, get it?

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 4 years ago

I play it in Borborygmos Enraged along with Storm Cauldron . If Borby is on the field, you tap out and fill your hand with ammunition. If not I can put all my lands back in play while my opponents are not so fortunate. I also use it with Zuran Orb to sac all my lands for life then use Creeping Renaissance to put them all back in my hand, and then back on the field.
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

I have in my Child of Alara Lands.dec: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... -lands-dec

It's definitely not a good stuff card that you just include. You better have a good plan. The card that I used it together with the most was Ad Nauseam. But there are plenty of other times where I just had a grip full of lands.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

I'd say try it. It's a "may", and at worst, you're going to be dumping lands (and cards you want in your graveyard) from your hand once it's all lands.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Sinis

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm also considering Summer Bloom. It's probably comparable in land heavy (but not like, 60-70) land decks. Maybe I'll play both. We'll see how it all shapes out.

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

It would be awesome in a list for that commander that requires 7 lands in hand. Get your 7, flip the commander, then manabond trigger and dump them all into the field.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

Sinis

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
It would be awesome in a list for that commander that requires 7 lands in hand. Get your 7, flip the commander, then manabond trigger and dump them all into the field.
Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant is what you're thinking of.

I don't think it's worth it in Sasaya, for the one reason that simple land plays on your turn will probably always be enough. Have 5 Forests in play? You have 25 mana. Getting a bunch of lands out at end of turn isn't really going to make that better. Manabond detracts from the goal of the deck, which is to play the minimum cards necessary to have 7 lands in hand, but play the maximum number of threats in the remaining space. Manabond does neither.

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

I mean, I understand what you mean but at the same time I feel like using it to instantly get enough mana for a Helix Pinnacle win is pretty effective. I would still run it there for that purpose.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

It actually seems good with Captain Sisay because she refills your hand.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”