[RPG] Adventures in Zendikar (play-by-post)

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Flavor: 3. Sweet. Feels very ancient.
Design: 2. I'm not a huge fan of these timing restriction things, although this is not a very offensive one.
Development: 3. Seems about right, given the history of 1-mana indestructible tricks at uncommon.
Luck: 8. Wow!
Bonus: 0, I guess? I don't know if there are any traps here, so I can't tell whether this will use up your Lucky Ring. Given your critical success, I assume you just avoid the traps without having to use the ring.
Total: 16

Goreteg is used to acting quickly. He leaps forward, scraping his horns against the wall to send a spray of sparks toward the Kor, hoping to blind them so that he will be able to close to goring range before they can use their magic.

Blinding Sparks 2R
Instant (U)
Scatter Sparks deals 1 damage to each of up to two target creatures. Until end of turn, those creatures can't block and their activated abilities can't be activated.
"Don't let it out of your si- Ah! My eyes!"
-Sirtos, Akoum Trapper

Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=5):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

A new adventurer joins the party.

Seamus the Shifty WRR
Legendary Creature — Orc Noble
First Strike
1: The next 1 damage that would be dealt to Seamus this turn is dealt to target attacking or blocking creature instead.
5/1

Go to Combat WRR
Instant
Cast this spell only if no player cast a spell or activated an ability this turn.
Spells and abilities opponents control can't be cast or activated this turn.
End the phase. After this phase there is an additional combat phase.

Ive got 2 moves. Stealth attack and run away. I will absolutely push one of you down to get away from a fight. But I hit really hard. Last in, first out LOL.
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 10 times in total.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Welcome, @Pygyzy!

As you've joined partway through the adventure, some things may be a bit unclear, story-wise. The things your character would know (or could infer) are:
  • There is a conclave of Kor clerics occupying some ruins.
  • These clerics are allegedly related to the Eldrazi in some way.
  • A number of adventurers were alerted to this activity and came to investigate.
  • Some adventurers are already inside the ruins, while others have perished fighting outside.
I'll have your character start just outside / at the entrance of the ruins, which seems like the most natural spot. Will give you more detailed instructions / story and your challenge when I do the main update post tonight, but let me know if you have any questions.

Pygyzy

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Welcome, @Pygyzy!

As you've joined partway through the adventure, some things may be a bit unclear, story-wise. The things your character would know (or could infer) are:
  • There is a conclave of Kor clerics occupying some ruins.
  • These clerics are allegedly related to the Eldrazi in some way.
  • A number of adventurers were alerted to this activity and came to investigate.
  • Some adventurers are already inside the ruins, while others have perished fighting outside.
I'll have your character start just outside / at the entrance of the ruins, which seems like the most natural spot. Will give you more detailed instructions / story and your challenge when I do the main update post tonight, but let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you. I'll read thru the thread and work on my character description. This looks fun

RaikouRider
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

@slimytrout

Flavor: 2.5 - The name feels more like a spell being cast than a physical action that is creating the sparks. Minor nitpick - this is 100% in flavor. Just noticed a slight flavor dissonance is all.
Design: 3 - Perfect.
Development: 2 - Stopping activated abilities is a white effect, not a red effect. Otherwise, balanced.
Luck: 4 - {1} + {3}
Bonus: +1 - An instant counts for this!
Total: 12.5

Ivan's eyes shifted toward the mural wrapping the small room's edges as Sky continued following the scent he had picked up before. "You find something?" he softly asked his partner, who was slowly approaching an opened, wooden door. The white lion nodded and let out a low purr. While the beast probably didn't intend it, the noise was probably loud enough for whatever they were trailing to know they were being followed. When the two were next to the wooden door, Ivan called out into the room beyond, "Is anyone there? We come peacefully and mean you no harm!" His hands subtly glowed white, ready to enforce his promise with wide-reaching protective magic if the issue needed to be forced.

Just as Ivan finished his call, there was a loud boom that echoed from the entrance to the ruins. He and his feline friend were too occupied to care about it immediately, but the knight took a mental note to return to the entrance hall at his soonest convenience.

One Day of Peace 1W
Instant {C}
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
Each player draws a card.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 7
Inv: Clue (1)

Mookie

@RaikouRider
Flavor: 3 - "hey, let's sit down and talk this out for a moment"
Design: 3 - Much more flavorful than Armistice.
Development: 3 - I'm not the biggest fan of symmetric card draw effects from an EDH perspective... but it makes a lot of sense here.
Luck: 4 (1+3)
Bonus 0: Did not identify the source of the noise or the other creature.
Total: 13

Outcomes and Challenges:
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Illenen once again reads the scribbled note, but it doesn't seem to have any advice regarding which path to take. It also doesn't mention any of the rubble lying on the path, which looks to be extremely recent. Unfortunately, the note seems to do more harm than good in this situation - Illenen begins down the dark hallway while still distracted by it. In the darkness, he proceeds to bump into something, which causes another loose piece of rubble to fall on his head and deal him (1d3+2) = 5 points of damage in the process. Ouch!

With some difficulty, Illenen is eventually able to make it through the hallway and into the next room, which appears to be a small vestibule. This room appears to be the more formal entry room for the ruins - it has some ancient carvings lining the walls, although it is difficult to make out the exact meaning of the figures. Other than that, there isn't a lot of note in the room. However, there are three apertures of note: a closed wooden door to the left, a stone door straight ahead that appears to have been torn open, and an archway to the right which appears to lead to a closet. It looks like more exploration is necessary, but you also feel like you can hear some motion coming from the archway, and the sounds of fighting from through the stone door.

Challenge: Explore the ruins!
Restriction: none
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior ruin-delving experience
(note: you're inside the ruins, at location 10)
Subject16
Show
Hide
Following his meal and rest, Gumuz feels somewhat refreshed (apply the effects of the food if you haven't already done so). Somewhat rested and ready to continue, he next goes to investigate the closet. However, the rummaging doesn't appear to unveil anything useful. Some ragged cleric robes, a small tetrahedron (the most useless of all hedrons, magically speaking), and seven copper pieces. It feels a bit like the equivalent of rifling through a lost and found after someone else already claimed everything useful. That said, there also aren't any traps in the closet, so... it could have been worse?

Behind Gumuz, he can vaguely hear someone else entering the room. It isn't clear whether or not this sound is hostile or friendly, but it sounds a bit like they are wearing metal armor. There are still two other exits from the room to investigate, if you wish to wait for this person to pass by. That said, you do hear a lot of commotion (probably violence) coming from the stone door.

Challenge: Investigate the other individual OR go through the torn-open stone door OR investigate the closed wooden door.
Restriction: none if you're investigating the other individual. If you want to avoid them and investigate a door, you'll need to be sneaky.
Bonus: if interacting with the other individual, +2 if you can identify them (by name or by creature type). If interacting with a door, +1 if you can apply prior ruin-delving experience.
(note: you're still at location 10)
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Lurgyan cautiously opens the cabinet and is immediately stunned speechless - not because of some sort of electric trap, but because the cabinet is full of Treasure! He truly has no idea how someone could have left something so valuable in a dusty workshop like this one. While he isn't entirely sure why someone could have left something so valuable in here, Lurgyan also isn't one to leave such a valuable item behind.
In addition to that Treasure, Lurgyan also finds a Runic Conduit in the cabinet, which he stows in his inventory. While it can't be used as a weapon directly, it does appear that it will make it easier for him to cast protective (and offensive) spells on himself.
Runic Conduit
Show
Hide
Runic Conduit
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Spells you cast that target equipped creature cost less to cast.
Equip
There are still some things in the workshop to investigate, but the next room also beckons. However, as you contemplate your next action, a friendly voice speaks to you from through the door you came in - "Is anyone there? We come peacefully and mean you no harm!" They don't seem to be hostile.

You've encountered RaikouRider's character, Ivan! The two of you are welcome to collaborate while you're in the same room - mechanically, this will function as a +2 bonus if your actions align with one another. You can also trade items if you wish.

Challenge: continue investigating the room, or continue onwards
Bonus: +1 if you make use of the workshop.
(note: you are still at location 14)
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Goreteg rushes in and blinds half of the kor in the process - they clearly weren't expecting anyone at this time, or perhaps they had greater trust in the guards outside. Either way, the afflicted kor don't look like they'll be able to meaningfully contribute until they can readjust their eyes. However, the other kor use this time to draw their weapons and prepare to attack back with chains and bolts of shadowy energy.

Challenge: Defend yourself!
Restriction: must be a spell that can be cast during combat
Bonus: +1 if the spell can affect multiple targets
(note: you are at location 16)
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Ivan calls out through the door to whomever is inside, but there isn't an immediate response. That said, they don't immediately attack either, so it seems relatively safe to continue. He continues through the door and enters what appears to be some sort of workshop. One person is already in the room, standing near an open cabinet and a workbench on the right side of the room, while the left side has an archway which appears to lead to another room. There are several stalactites hanging from the ceiling, dripping water into the middle of the room.

You've encountered void_nothing's character, Lurgyan! The two of you are welcome to collaborate while you're in the same room - mechanically, this will function as a +2 bonus if your actions align with one another. You can also trade items if you wish.

Challenge: continue investigating the room, or continue onwards
Bonus: +1 if you make use of the workshop.
(note: you are still at location 14)
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
After having spent some time traveling to the ruins, Seamus feels ready to enter. While he isn't the first adventurer to reach them, he feels cautiously optimistic about his chances - hopefully the other adventurers have already dealt with all the traps and hostile enemies already. With a confident stride, he makes his way into the ruins.

The entryway is lined with columns and torches, but a number of the torches are missing. The walls are inscribed with ancient pictographs and designs, but they are all long faded - it isn't easy to make out what they could have been. That said, these ruins clearly have some sort of greater significance... or at least, the clerics dwelling in it probably believe so.

After making it through the entryway, the path branches. To the left is a dark hallway lined with rubble - it appears like it will be somewhat difficult to traverse safely, but it also appears to lead deeper into the ruins. To the right is what appears to be a door leading to a room. Based on the disturbance of dust on the ground, it appears that both paths have been traveled recently.

Challenge: explore the ruins!
Restriction: none, although you can try to move quickly if you want to catch up to the other adventurers.
Bonus: +1 if you can explain (and make use of) your character's prior ruin-delving experience
(note: you are currently at location 'c')
Other Stuff
Meetings, clashes, traps, and treasures. The ruins echo with the sound of activity. While the clerics claiming the ruins may have been somewhat relaxed to start with, you suspect that they will be somewhat more vigilant going forwards, lest their plans be disrupted before their completion. Not that anything sinister is going on, of course. That would be weird.

I've been mostly doing rooms one at a time, but if people feel like the exploration is advancing too slowly, let me know - for context, y'all are (collectively) about 1/3 of the way through the dungeon. I'm also curious how people feel about this style of exploration, with everyone having a more individualized challenge opposed to traveling more as a group, so let me know if you have any feedback. That said, some people have begun to group up, so we'll see how that goes...

Next update planned for 10/24

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Feedback and question again
Show
Hide
I like the pace as of now. Might even say it feels somewhat too quick for my taste, but it is personal preferance.
Individual challanges are great for me, simply speaking. But I am looking forward team-up as well!
Should the -1/-1 counter wear off now?
——

His recent absent-mindedness started to worry Illenen. But it seems that lack of thought elasticity was a payment for his mind's ease at nights.

Bruised, the knight looked at his surroundings. It seemed that he was getting closer to the main ruins, but the clues were too cryptic to be deciphered. However, where sight gives a little, a hearing can give more. Illenen heared a cacophony of combat. Searching for the source, he turned to the stone doors. An art of masonry, seemingly torn as if it was a fabric or a metal sheet. A work fitting for a stoneforger. A Kor's work.

Detailed guesses about combatants' identities would be vain, but chances were that one side were cultists. An enemy of an enemy is at least a distraction, if not a friend in need. While Illenen saw in flickering light of torch the curious wooden doors on left and suspicious shadows behind the archway, he was a knight, first and foremost. And as such, he had to press onwards to help those in danger, despite his injuries.

While not outwardly running, Illenen moves fast through corridor behind the stone doors. He allows himself to be guided by his training and his honor, always ready to join into fray of combat.

Tenacity of Valor
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
At the beginning of the declare attackers step on your turn, exile enchanted creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking. Attach Tenacity of Valor to that creature.
, Discard a card: Enchanted creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Untap it. Activate this ability only during combat.
For a knight, a call to battle means more then they pain and fatigue.

——
Character
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
  • Illenen gets +1/+1 and gains first strike until end of turn.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS:
HP: 6/13
STR: 0/6 (0+6)
INV:
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Pygyzy

Noble Seamus trots haughtily into the ruins in search of bait... friends. He's been following his targets... allies for a while, ready to help at the very last second. Or helpfully loot any bodies after the very last second.

To this day, there's not an assuredly one-sided fight he hasn't won, or a losing battle he hasn't valiantly run away from. It's this cowardice that gives him confidence as he ventures deeper into the lair.

The Kor magic emanating from deep in the depths is enticing. He wishes
to learn the secrets of the Kor within. Facing a forking path, he does what he always does. "Hellooo!! Is there anyone there??", he stupidly shouts in a dungeon. "Should I go left or right?". He waits for a response but hears only what sounds like eerie scrabbling... is that bone-crunching?

If he hadn't come from such a privileged background, being part of the Goldtooth clan does have its benefits, never having faced any consequences ever, he might feel some trepidation wandering into a dark hole. But he doesn't.

"I'm going right everybody! Here I come!" He chooses the left corridor. Truly the world's most brilliant orc assassin... erm helper.

He smiles to himself. His gold teeth glittering in the dim light as he moves carelessly through the shadows.

Barrel Through 2R
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature loses all abilities and can't gain abilities.
Enchanted creature gets +X/0, where X is equal to its power.
At the beginning of your end step, if enchanted creature didn't attack this turn, sacrifice Barrel Through.

Mookie

3 years ago
I like the pace as of now. Might even say it feels somewhat too quick for my taste, but it is personal preferance.
Individual challanges are great for me, simply speaking. But I am looking forward team-up as well!
Glad to hear the pacing is alright with you. ...I suppose I should clarify for pacing whether that is regarding the story pace (~1 room / action) vs real-time pace (1 action / ~3 days). Story pace is somewhat difficult to alter, but real-time pace can be slowed down by a notch or two if people want more time. That said, I've been in D&D campaigns where it has taken a year to finish a dungeon, which is.... a very long time, and longer than I would want to run this for. I don't expect this dungeon to take that long though.
I believe I said it would wear off after 3 rounds, so yeah, should wear off now.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Glad to hear the pacing is alright with you. ...I suppose I should clarify for pacing whether that is regarding the story pace (~1 room / action) vs real-time pace (1 action / ~3 days). Story pace is somewhat difficult to alter, but real-time pace can be slowed down by a notch or two if people want more time. That said, I've been in D&D campaigns where it has taken a year to finish a dungeon, which is.... a very long time, and longer than I would want to run this for. I don't expect this dungeon to take that long though.
I believe I said it would wear off after 3 rounds, so yeah, should wear off now.
I meant story pace, right now I got second lockdown here, so gaming pace is alright. Besides RPGs - and Magic, ofcourse - I mainly play Roguelikes such as Nethack or ADOM, so I am accustomed to bigger, more grindy dungeons. But I know that this style is not for everyone.

Mookie

apparently we're being sneaky now :P
Show
Hide
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
I meant story pace, right now I got second lockdown here, so gaming pace is alright. Besides RPGs - and Magic, ofcourse - I mainly play Roguelikes such as Nethack or ADOM, so I am accustomed to bigger, more grindy dungeons. But I know that this style is not for everyone.
Ha, noted. I'm also still in lockdown, which is partially why I started this in the first place.
I'll give some thought re: story pace. I've been considering having more open-ended challenges (ex: 'how do you bypass the door?' → more generic 'there is a door. what do you do?'), so may lean towards that. That said, if you ever want to slow down and spend a turn to analyze your surroundings, feel free. I can't guarantee that every room is going to have a ton of exciting things in it though.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Pygyzy
Flavor - 3
The loss of abilities and "must attack to keep" clause make this definitely seem like running in headlong without a plan.
Design - 2.5
Just plain clever in a lot of ways; possibly too clever for its own good. It's a complicated card for sure, and that'll come up in the next section...
Development - 2
So this is a grokkable card, but it's very wordy and does a lot of things that are more complicated than they seem in Magic's rules. There's also no rarity on here. I would assume uncommon because it's a highly complex card but just doesn't have the oomph of rare - but even then the degree of complexity is quite borderline.
Luck - 4
2+2
Bonus - 1
You seem to have handicapped your performance somewhat by making a totally impulsive character who never stops to think, particularly since this ruin is known to be fairly full of traps. But making an underpowered character because playing that type of character is amusing is a lot better than trying to make an overpowered character for the sake of it/to "win" the RPG. I would say your post reflects past delving experience, even if that experience did not result in Seamus learning anything useful.
Total: 12.5

(OOC: We can wear as much Equipment as makes contextual sense, correct? Like boots and gauntlets would be okay, but not two pairs of boots? If it's one at a time assume that I have unequipped my Lucky Ring.)

Lurgyan turns calmly to see, in shadow, a man - apparently human - and his pet lion. An odd pair to be on an adventure, maybe, but some people have different taste in familiars or mounts than others, Lurgyan supposes.

"My name is Lurgyan Nirkana. I'm a... hem... humble priest. I assume we are both after the same thing, so if you could help me finish searching this room it would be a great help to me. I just... do not like surprises. Nor do I like doubt in my mind." In the meantime Lurgyan places the Runic Conduit onto his hand and flexes his fingers, then weaves one of the enhancement spells of clerical magic he has been using up to this point, creating pockets of sheer shadow around his own feet and those of Ivan with the aim of granting them both greater capabilities of speed and stealth for when they would venture on.

Rush into Darkness 2B
Instant (U)
Until end of turn, up to two target creatures get +1/+1, gain haste, and can't be blocked except by black creatures.
"Our desires await us on the other side of midnight."
Character sheet
Show
Hide
Lurgyan, Hazard Priest 1BG
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Pay 1 life: Target attacking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
"Don't run from this land's acrimony."
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (1 available)

Items:
Clue x 2
Treasure x 3

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Checks you make involving other Clerics have a +2 bonus.
Mystery effect
Equip 2

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
Not quite lucky enough for its former owner.
(Equipped)

Runic Conduit 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Spells you cast that target equipped creature cost 2 less to cast.
Equip 2
(Equipped)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy

SPOILER
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Feedback and question again
Show
Hide
——

His recent absent-mindedness started to worry Illenen. But it seems that lack of thought elasticity was a payment for his mind's ease at nights.

Bruised, the knight looked at his surroundings. It seemed that he was getting closer to the main ruins, but the clues were too cryptic to be deciphered. However, where sight gives a little, a hearing can give more. Illenen heared a cacophony of combat. Searching for the source, he turned to the stone doors. An art of masonry, seemingly torn as if it was a fabric or a metal sheet. A work fitting for a stoneforger. A Kor's work.

Detailed guesses about combatants' identities would be vain, but chances were that one side were cultists. An enemy of an enemy is at least a distraction, if not a friend in need. While Illenen saw in flickering light of torch the curious wooden doors on left and suspicious shadows behind the archway, he was a knight, first and foremost. And as such, he had to press onwards to help those in danger, despite his injuries.

While not outwardly running, Illenen moves fast through corridor behind the stone doors. He allows himself to be guided by his training and his honor, always ready to join into fray of combat.

Tenacity of Valor
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
At the beginning of the declare attackers step on your turn, exile enchanted creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking. Attach Tenacity of Valor to that creature.
, Discard a card: Enchanted creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Untap it. Activate this ability only during combat.
For a knight, a call to battle means more then they pain and fatigue.

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS:
HP: 6/13
INV:
Oops I forgot to do this. Sorry.

Flavor - 3 Feels like a knight pressing on.
Design - 3 It conveys mechanically shrugging off damage wit a second wind. Cool card.
Development - 3 Works well with your character
Luck - 3

RaikouRider

@void_nothing
Flavor - 3: Seems spot on for what Lurgyan's trying to accomplish.
Design - 2.5: Reminds me a little bit of Mogis' Marauder, so I have to dock 0.5 for lack of originality, but this looks like a solid wall-breaker for Limited. A little unsure why this needs to be an instant other than for flavor, though.
Development: 3 - Appropriately costed. Uncommon is correct.
Luck: 5 {4} + {1}
Total: 13.5

Ivan breathed a sigh of relief, Sky relaxing for the first time they had set off from Sea Gate. It might have been unnerving to see such a powerful predator with such a docile look on his face. "Great to meet you, Lurgyan! You're the first thing I've run into today that hasn't tried to kill me on sight! My name's Ivan. Ivan Koba, Knight of the Silverpaw. This is Sky," he introduced his feline friend, gently running his hand through the white mane and getting an affectionate purr out of him. His white fur made him very easy to see in the low-light environment.

As the black magic enveloped his feet, Ivan felt a marked increase in his reaction time and his foot speed. He could probably keep up with Sky in this state, which was crazy to think about. The inside of a ruin was not the best place to test that, though - an impact with a wall would really hurt! "Glad to give you a hand! Sky's sense of smell can be really handy - if there's anything old here, he'll probably find it. You take one side and we'll take the other." As Sky started to circle around the edge, Ivan remembered the loud sound from before. "Did you hear that loud sound from near the entrance? I want to see what that is when we're done here."

Heightened Senses 1G
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has trample and must be blocked if able.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a creature, you may draw a card.
Sheet
Show
Hide
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

Mookie

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
(OOC: We can wear as much Equipment as makes contextual sense, correct? Like boots and gauntlets would be okay, but not two pairs of boots? If it's one at a time assume that I have unequipped my Lucky Ring.)
Yup, standard MTG rules apply here. The only limitation is your strength / carrying capacity (and that also applies to non-equipment items you're carrying around).

RaikouRider
Flavor: 3 - investigating the room by sniffing for treasure? Seems reasonable.
Design: 2 - slight miss for me with the Lure half. Keen Sense works though.
Development: 3 - a solid uncommon
Bonus: +2 - teeeeeamwooooork (this also applies to void_nothing)
Luck: 4 (3+1)
Total: 14

Outcomes and Challenges
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
Illenen advances through the stone doorway, ready for a fight.., and a fight he finds! Upon entering the next area, his attention is immediately captured by a minotaur with enormous stone horns fighting with several cloaked clerics. Several clerics are already knocked out and on the ground, but there are still several fighting with the minotaur, and any assistance would likely be appreciated.

You've found slimytrout's character, Goreteg! The two of you are welcome to collaborate while you're in the same room - mechanically, this will function as a +2 bonus if your actions align with one another. You can also trade items if you wish.

Challenge: win the battle!
Restriction: must be a spell that can be cast during combat
Bonus: +1 if your spell can affect multiple targets
(note: you are currently in location 16)
slimytrout
Show
Hide
@slimytrout
No update for you this week, but as an FYI, Lorn Asbord Schutta's character, Illenen has found you. The two of you are welcome to collaborate while you're in the same room - mechanically, this will function as a +2 bonus if your actions align with one another. You can also trade items if you wish.
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
@Pygyzy
(personally, I'm amused by 'the fool' characters)
Seamus recklessly rushes through the corridor. It's a bit difficult to navigate, since it seems to be partially full of rubble. As Seamus charges forwards, he hears the 'click' of multiple traps triggering behind him.... but none of them seem to activate. Perhaps they were broken when the rubble fell? Paying little thought to the serendipity, Seamus is able to make it through the corridor and into the next room without incident.

In the next room, Seamus finds himself in what appears to be a small vestibule. This room appears to be the more formal entry room for the ruins - it has some ancient carvings lining the walls, although it is difficult to make out the exact meaning of the figures. Other than that, there isn't a lot of note in the room. However, there are three apertures of note: a closed wooden door to the left, a stone door straight ahead that appears to have been torn open, and an archway to the right which appears to lead to a closet. It looks like more exploration is necessary. You can hear a lot of fighting through the stone door.

Challenge: Explore the ruins!
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior ruin-delving experience
(note: you're inside the ruins, at location 10)
void_nothing and RaikouRider
Show
Hide
@void_nothing, @RaikouRider
Working together, Lurgyan and Ivan (and Sky) scour the room from ceiling to floor. At first glance, It appeared that this room was some sort of workshop, but on further investigation, it appears to also have been functioning as a laboratory. The workbench is littered with broken hedrons, and it appears someone was taking very detailed notes in a notebook about their experimentation with those hedrons. Very, very detailed... so much so that by the end of the notebook, the text has become so small as that it is virtually illegible.

Broadly speaking, the recorded experiments seem to break own into three categories. The first experiments seem to have been focused on attempting to decipher the symbology encoded on the hedrons and their effects upon it, and analyzing whether that symbology could have any effect when applied to another item. From there, the experiments shift into a more active approach, beginning with applying those runes to living creatures using paint and eventually tattoos. At the end, the experiments finally shift into direct implantation of hedrons into objects - first inanimate materials.... then animals.... and finally, unwilling (and willing) subjects.

In another system, you probably would have had to make a SAN check. But in this system, you are instead able to identify the function of one of the hedrons lying on the table, a Hedron Prism. One of you may take the Hedron Prism, while the other player may instead take the journal to use as a Clue.
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism
Artifact (C)
, : add one mana of any color, or add
"This seems waaaay too simple."
From the next room, Lurgyan and Ivan hear a commotion and the shatter of glass, followed by a an angry screech - it seems like some of the experimental subjects has escaped from their tanks!

Challenge: a monster appears! Describe it.
Restriction: must be a creature. For the purpose of describing this creature spell, you may add to your mana pool.
Bonus: +1 point if it is a combination of creature types that don't currently exist (it doesn't have to have tentacles, but I won't say it can't have tentacles either :P)
(note: you are in location 14)
Other Stuff
Missed that update was scheduled and thought it was scheduled for tomorrow. I'm in the process of moving, so I've been a little distracted lately. That said, looks like I'm not the only person to have missed the update - anyone that happened to miss an action is welcome to continue from where they left off. If you've missed multiple actions, let me know and you can autopilot to just behind another character. I've also tried embedding mentions in this post, so we'll see if that helps remind people....

Next update tentatively scheduled for 10/29.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Whoops, just had a busy weekend and forgot to post the card that I had ready, so will do that now. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with Illenen's plans!

Goreteg used the element of surprise to blind some of the Kor, but there were too many of them for him to defeat them all before they had a chance to strike back. And, though Goreteg is confident in his ability to withstand even the most powerful of blows, one sniff of the stale cavern air tells him two things. First, that the Kor had sausage for breakfast. And second, that he was in the midst of dark magic. Goreteg still had a hairless patch on his left leg from the last time he was caught unawares by a wizard, so he reaches a hand into the stone wall, feeling the soft rock moving around his fingers. With a sudden tug, he pulls the wall down, sending boulders cascading across the floor. They form a pile in front of him, providing him with cover from the clerics' attacks and giving him a moment to plan his next move.

Boulder Wall 2G
Creature - Wall (U)
Flash
Defender
When Boulder Wall enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature and a hexproof counter on up to one target creature.
"If you don't have any cover, make some."
-Enera, stoneforger

0/4
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=5):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

(OOC: Is each of us - RR and I - making an individual escaped monster?

Also, Ivan can have the Prism given my carrying capacity.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Mookie

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
(OOC: Is each of us - RR and I - making an individual escaped monster?

Also, Ivan can have the Prism given my carrying capacity.)
Yes, you should each be making one - there are multiple escaped monsters to deal with.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Slimytrout
Flavour - 3; I was sure Goreteg would rush, but this makes sense as well.
Design - 2,5; A lot of moving parts, making this a little messy in my taste. Moreover, hard rock walls feel off in green.
Development - 1,5; Might be undercosted, since hexproof counter is more durable then auras granting hexproof and unlike instants permament. Also the flexibility of putting it on any creature is a powerful tool - worst case scenario you give both counters to boulder and it is removed before getting them, which is still not bad.
Bonus +1; gets multiple creatures
Bonus +2; I guess Illenen can work with it.
Luck - 3 (2+1)
Total: 13

——

Minotaur was capable of taking care of himself, the lying Kors were a proof of that. Still, knight knew what a magic could do to a fighter, especially with such great posture. Illenen was ready to distract cultists spellcraft, taking the brunt of attack, while the bull would deal with them. But then, suddenly, minotaur makes some gestures and ripples the wall, making a temporary cover for himself out of boulders. It seems that knight will be striking then. It can work with it. It does remind him of old times, of times of his knightly order, where they took pride in their exploits of removing vile mages and trained long hours preparing to face spellcasters in combat.

Taking advantage that Kors seem to be hellbent on - unsuccessfuly - getting through the stone wall, Illenen attacks them, firstly attacking their spellcasting implements, then cultists.

Mage Culling
Instant (R)
For each spell and ability your opponents control, counter it unless its controller pays . Whenever a spell or ability is countered this way, you may destroy target tapped creature.
"We are tasked with terrible duty: to silence those who disturb the silence of Zendikar's spirit for their petty gain. Do not hesitate to strike."
—Terion Korben, Headmaster of Order of Silentsoil

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS:
HP: 7/13
INV:

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Flavour 3 - Countermagic with a very serious punishment for the casters, nice!
Design 1.5 - Punishing tapped creatures for every spell/ability that gets countered can be very weird and confusing for some people.
Development 2 - So Whirlwind Denial is the closest thing to this. The reduced cost and double white balance out how destructive this could be in the right scenario. Overall incredibly likely for this to be a 2 for 1 on most occasions.
Bonus +1; Hits multiple targets indeed.
Luck - 6 (3+3)

Gumuz silently watched from behind the door of the closet as the other explorer, a knight of some kind, it would seem, made his way out of the room through the stone doorway. Drat. That was where he wanted to be heading. Now someone was ahead of him. He had considered offering a temporary alliance, as knights were often keen to help others, sometimes against their better judgment. Perhaps if he caught up to the knight he could still convince him to join forces. No, the opportunity had passed, and Gumuz was far too proud to grovel for aid.

Creeping out of the closet, Gumuz made his way to the closed wooden door, the one the human hadn't gone through. Laying his hands on the door, Gumuz was confused to see the door was and mostly intact, a stark contrast to the near rubble-like appearance of the sturdier stone doorway. If it wasn't locked, it would almost certainly be protective with some kind of trap. Either way, Gumuz wasn't taking any chances. Clutching his focus, he channeled a twisted spell, one he learned from the deep below. A spell used by his masters on their servants that disappointed them, unwinding the very fabric of their existence, as if they had never set foot among them. Sending the spells into the door, the tendrils wormed their way into the very fabric of the wood, erasing every speck of the wood and metal that composed it, and undoing any magical tether placed there. Though pleased with his work, Gumuz could not bring himself to smile as he stepped through where the wooden door once was. A shiver ran down the goblin's spine. He would not want to suffer the same fate.

Dark Unraveling 1BB
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target creature or planeswalker and all permanents attached to it.
Nothing remained of the acolyte. Not a footprint, not a name, not even a memory.

Sheet
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Gumuz of the Dark-Dwellers 1BR
Legendary Creature — Goblin Warlock (R)
Menace
Whenever Gumuz of the Dark-Dweller attacks, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn. At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played it, put it into your hand and you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.
Searching for power unbridled on behalf of forces unseen.
3/2
Current HP: 4/12
STRENGTH: 8 (3+5)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Subject16
Flavor - 1.5
I guess this is considering the door to be a creature... i.e. a Wall? An artifact destruction spell would be more likely in flavor imo, especially since Gumuz is in fact red, and what's more, the way you describe this seems more like an exile spell than a destruction one.
Design - 1.5
Rare "kill creature or planeswalker" with some small bonus is bog-standard these days. Vraska's Contempt was some of the most-played removal of Ixalan block, after all, overshadowed only by the fact that Ravenous Chupacabra has a creature attached to it. The extra rider here is interesting, but I suppose you meant for it to hose totem armor in a Zendikar context - it would not work that way, because the replacement effect would still happen.
Development - 2
Destroying Equipment seems like a pie bend, or even break, for black.
Luck - 4
2+2
Bonus - 1
Feels like an application of past experience.
Total: 10

"...so this must be, effectively, a filter. That's good news, I should suppose - it means there ought to be more kinds - IVAN LOOK OUT!" Lurgyan's satisfied conclusions are broken up by the approach of a tormented monster, its mystical slumber suddenly ended. The thing busts into the room like a living battering ram - a horned scorpion a couple of times the size of a man, with pillarlike legs prepared to stomp anything its drill-like stinger doesn't run through and a thick grayish hide that seems difficult to cut through with anything but the hedrons embedded in it. There is a moment of tension as the maddened creature gets ready to defend its territory to the death.

Mordahedron Impaler 2BG
Creature - Rhino Scorpion Horror (R)
Lifelink, trample
Whenever Mordahedron Impaler attacks, each player discards a card. Then you may pay 1B and/or 1G. If you paid 1B, each player loses 1 life for each creature they control. If you paid 1G, Mordahedron Impaler gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each card discarded and 1 life lost in this way.
It corrodes minds and treads on bodies.
2/2
Character sheet
Show
Hide
Lurgyan, Hazard Priest 1BG
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Pay 1 life: Target attacking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
"Don't run from this land's acrimony."
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (1 available)

Items:
Clue x 3
Treasure x 3

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Checks you make involving other Clerics have a +2 bonus.
Mystery effect
Equip 2

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
Not quite lucky enough for its former owner.
(Equipped)

Runic Conduit 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Spells you cast that target equipped creature cost 2 less to cast.
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Pygyzy

Seamus strolls confidently through the ruins and surveys the scene. Ah yes, very clearly there was a struggle. Some giant must've burst through here just recently and completely annihilated everything. This is why you always go last, he reminds himself with a casual glance.

Being a complete coward, Seamus hides in... examines the closet until he's confident nobody dangerous is around. In his experience, closets are where good things are kept.

Pause for Consideration Wr
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's combat step, that player may create a Treasure token.
Whenever a Treasure enters the battlefield during combat, end the step.
Good things come to those who do nothing.
character sheet
Show
Hide
Seamus the Shifty WRR
Legendary Creature — Orc Noble
First Strike
1: The next 1 damage that would be dealt to Seamus this turn is dealt to target attacking or blocking creature instead.
5/1

Incredium

Post by Incredium » 3 years ago

I have returned from my 1000 year slumber. Also what did I miss, if feels like a lot is going on now that would complicate jumping back in

Mookie

Incredium wrote:
3 years ago
I have returned from my 1000 year slumber. Also what did I miss, if feels like a lot is going on now that would complicate jumping back in
I think you only missed 1-2 actions. In some parallel universes, people have started teaming up and/or getting mauled to death by eldritch abominations, but I wouldn't worry about that much. In your timeline, I think you're still investigating the workshop, and can pick up from your last action.

RaikouRider

@Pygyzy

Design - 2.5: Treasure is definitely a valid distraction to battle. I like the symmetric design here, and I see how this is in color identity. Would like to see something like this to help Boros out with ramp.
Development - 1.5: As worded, this does not work like you want it to. This would need an entire Rules FAQ to warrant how prematurely ending a step affects the game state. Do spells and abilities on the stack get exiled? Does this stop combat damage from being dealt if it's activated in the Combat Damage step? Do you mean combat phase? If this just ends the combat phase, this makes more sense and is clever if you have a way to create treasure at instant speed.
Flavor - 3: Ooh, shiny!
Bonus - 1
Luck - 7: {4} + {3}
Total - 15

Just as Ivan took the small, pointy prism from Lurgyan, chaos ensued in the room. The sound of Sky roaring, then claws slashing through flesh made it impossible to hear much of anything else. A second creature tumbled alongside the white lion, Ivan drawing his sword in the event the two got uncomfortably close to him. At first it looked much like a smaller, but still vicious, feline predator. When Ivan caught a glimpse of chitin on its sides, as well as a sharp stinger on the end of its long tail, he shakily pointed his blade toward the escapee.

Sky managed to quickly throw his foe off him, but the smaller cat managed to land upright. Dust flew everywhere as the horrifying, four-legged creature started hovering, chitin wings beat rapidly enough to make a buzzing noise harsh on the ears. Ivan shuddered and Sky let out a pained cry as powerful vibration coursed through them both.

Brood of Kathril WBG
Creature - Nightmare Cat Insect {R}
1W: Brood of Kathril gains flying until end of turn.
1B: Brood of Kathril gains first strike until end of turn.
1G: Brood of Kathril gains deathtouch until end of turn.
4/4
Sheet
Show
Hide
2/2

Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC one mana of any color.
"This seems waaaay too simple."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”