The Community Deck Build Project v9.0

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

Yay Etali
I hate 4 mana to draw our first card. I would rather see night's whisper or impulsive draw. Nay bankbuster.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 8 months ago

I knew it wouldn't take too long before someone nominated Etali. I have my reservations towards a six drop without haste that needs to attack to do anything, but I suspect that's not going to matter since it's overwhelmingly going to get confirmed.

As a reminder, when you make your nomination, please weigh in on the current docket. Thanks!

Reckoner Bankbuster yay - 2 nay - 0
Etali, Primal Storm|tsr yay - 1 nay - 0

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5JGLDfA7OEy0ZaPb3Nw9QQ

For today, we'll put @Moxnix and @Dunharrow on the clock.

Dunharrow

I will nominate Fable of the Mirror-Breaker // Reflection of Kiki-Jiki
I think it does a lot for this deck. Helps us ramp a bit, helps us filter, doubling the attack trigger ain't bad and the copying ability should be great in this deck.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

Yea Fable. Could be the best red enchantment of all time. It's been great in Delina, easy yes.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

Ill go with aurelia the warleader. Much rather see a hasted card that triggers the abilities again than a random flips trigger.

Sorry always forget that part uh yay for mirror breaker nay for the 6 drop primal nay for blockbuster yay for puraphos.
Last edited by Moxnix 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Dunharrow

yay Aurelia

*Reminder to people to actually comment on all the cards up for nomination.*

3drinks

In an effort to curb low effort contributions, I'm not going to recognize nominations without confirm/denying the current docket. If you want your vote to count, it stands to reason that you need to participate in the whole game, I think!

I will yay Fable, and I'm so glad it's fallen from $30 (I just got a "damaged" copy for $13 though I wish the goblin shaman token wasn't $6-$8 :fuming: ) so thank you standard banning for that. Now we can play Kiki-Jiki as more than a five drop that relies on board presence to be good. Very seldom do I see opportunities where Fable doesn't make an iMPACT at any state in the game.

On the docket today is myself and @toctheyounger. So how about Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded?

Reckoner Bankbuster yay - 2 nay - 1
Etali, Primal Storm yay - 1 nay - 1
Fable of the Mirror Breaker yay - 3 nay - 0
Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded yay - 1 nay - 1

Last edited by 3drinks 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

toctheyounger

I think that's fair. We gotta decide at some point, no new nominations until you've weighed in is a decent idea.

So then for myself, Etali is an obligatory yea. I'm skeptical because I think the best version of this deck runs lower to the ground, but Etali is very fun.

Purph I'm a bit leery of. Sneak is fine and this is a second version of that, but I think as far as haste enablers go we want them casting for less right? Idk. I love Purph, that deck was so much fun while I had it together, but idk if this is the right place for him. I'm gonna nay, but I could be convinced.

My nomination is Deafening Silence . Almost every add thus far has been creatures. I think we can work around this really well and it'll hurt to work around for opponents. It probably means people fire off board wipes with more frequency but I think the pressure it puts on will outweigh that anyway.

Dunharrow

I really like Deafening silence here, big yay

3drinks I think you missed my nay on Reckoner Bankbuster (top of this page)

My first though for purphoros as yeay but I think Toc made some good points. Purph does two things that suit this deck but does both a bit poorly so I wonder if we actually want this to be a 5 drop.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 8 months ago

I think Etali is a trap! It's just a 6/6 for six that is heavily reliant on haste. We're never going in on it with a hope and a prayer yeah? Because it (rightly I think) never untaps otherwise. I'm also going to nay bronze-blooded because I know exactly what drinks is aiming at here and this is my gentle friendly reminder that you can't drop Pathrazer of Ulamog/It That Betrays with bronze-blood. Not that I think any eldrazi will make the cut either 👌

Fable of the Mirror Breaker looks to already be confirmed so I'll skip it. No arguments from me though 💖.

Is anyone worried about deafening silence backfiring? Maybe we're better with Thalia, Heretic Cathar or Archon of Emeria. Maybe somebody can ease my mind though.

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
8 months ago
Is anyone worried about deafening silence backfiring? Maybe we're better with Thalia, Heretic Cathar or Archon of Emeria. Maybe somebody can ease my mind though.
Not personally. Almost every pick we've made so far has been a creature. I think if we were looking to chain rocks together or storm off it'd obviously be the wrong place, but I can't see that here. We're putting pressure on the board, this puts pressure on hands too.

edit: I agree about Eldrazi, but there's plenty of great attack triggers otherwise. Winota, Joiner of Forces, Archon of Cruelty, Aurelia, the Warleader, Rionya, Fire Dancer, etc etc.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
In an effort to curb low effort contributions, I'm not going to recognize nominations without confirm/denying the current docket. If you want your vote to count, it stands to reason that you need to participate in the whole game, I think!

I will yay Fable, and I'm so glad it's fallen from $30 (I just got a "damaged" copy for $13 though I wish the goblin shaman token wasn't $6-$8 :fuming: ) so thank you standard banning for that. Now we can play Kiki-Jiki as more than a five drop that relies on board presence to be good. Very seldom do I see opportunities where Fable doesn't make an iMPACT at any state in the game.

On the docket today is myself and @toctheyounger. So how about Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded?

Reckoner Bankbuster yay - 2 nay - 1
Etali, Primal Storm yay - 1 nay - 1
Fable of the Mirror Breaker yay - 3 nay - 0
Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded yay - 1 nay - 1

Yeah sorry about that, I was ambivalent about Reckoner and I abstained :P
So, nay for Reckoner, I don't think we need to spend so much mana to draw, we can cover it through other means.
Yay on Fable, I have no experience with it but it looks good.
Enthusiastic yay for Purphoros, I kind of missed that it grants haste across the board, I like him even more than Sneak Attack tbh.
Yay for Deafening Silence.

3drinks

I'm saddened at the disapproval of Bankbuster. We already had Fable, we could have added Invoke Despair + Sheoldred and just recreated the last standard season winning deck! Right guys? Guys? Hey, where's everyone going...what are you doing with those splintered 2x4 --

Ah ha. At any rate some clean up, I think I've caught any votes that slipped through the cracks. I'm gonna be the final nail in the coffin of Etali since I hadn't voted yet and I don't think a random six drop is where we wanna be. Thought it was for sure a lock. I think I yay Aurelia, it's gonna function like a pseudo Moraug, Fury of Akoum here assuming our plan is working. Seems a much cleaner six drop than the dinosaur at least here. I also think I'll confirm deafening silence (and similarly if it comes up, I'm all about thorn of amethyst|brr).

Reckoner Bankbuster yay - 2 nay - 3
Etali, Primal Storm yay - 1 nay - 3

Fable of the Mirror Breaker yay - 4 nay - 0
Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded yay - 4 nay - 1
Deafening Silence yay - 3 nay - 0

Aurelia, the Warleader yay - 2 nay - 0

On the clock today we'll round out this cycle of picks with @gsgfdf and @aliciaofthevast.

3drinks

I do think people focused too much on the draw a card feature of bankbuster though. It's a one card engine, it replaces itself and generates +2 CA, then provides bodies + mana in such a compact package. And it can still beat for 4 if you don't need those. Idk, I think it's incredibly flexible tbh! I guess it's moot now though.

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
I think I yay Aurelia
Has it actually been nominated? I brought it up casually, but I can't see a formal nom. If so, though, I'll second that.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 8 months ago

If I say Signal Pest, is that strong enough? Battle Cry is worth watching right? If not, I'd imagine Dreadhorde Arcanist ticks some boxes.

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
8 months ago
If I say Signal Pest, is that strong enough? Battle Cry is worth watching right? If not, I'd imagine Dreadhorde Arcanist ticks some boxes.
I was gonna nom the pest for sure. I think battle cry is worth, and I think if the stars align right even exalted might be. Maybe Sublime Archangel, maaaybe.

3drinks

toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
I think I yay Aurelia
Has it actually been nominated? I brought it up casually, but I can't see a formal nom. If so, though, I'll second that.
Yes, moxnix mentioned it after going back to vote on the docket.

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
I think I yay Aurelia
Yes, moxnix mentioned it after going back to vote on the docket.
Then count me in.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

Yay on Aurelia, the Warleader.
Nay on Signal Pest, I think we can do better than that.

For my nomination I would like to suggest Laelia, the Blade Reforged. It's CA that we don't need to spend any more resources on and is powerful even without Isshin.

3drinks

Hmm, looks like Aurelia needed very little to be confirmed. I support that, negative synergy aside (you still only get one extra combat step as your guys will be tapped after the first extra step, barring Aurelia as she has vigilance). Still good, just wanted to point that out as it may have been glossed over. Getting two Copperhorn Scout triggers (Aurelia will untap the team twice when she attacks under Isshin) at declare attacks step could be relevant though, if we have any juicy tap abilities to leverage.

I like signal pest on the surface, being a one drop 0/1 with evasion so it's hard to block and not a real feel good target for point removal screams this guy is important. On it's own, Isshin swings as a 5/4 and that's a reasonable floor meaning any sword or +2 power equip turns Isshin to a three turn clock, but also signal pest is a good sword carrier itself. Shame it can't carry mask of memory though. But on the other hand, it's not overtly lethal like Fervent Charge is either. I'm open to a yay but I can certainly see counterpoints where it's a cut.

I like Laelia a lot. It ticks boxes as it's hasted, swings as a 3/3 out the gate (4/4 under Isshin), draws a card on attack rather than damage. Perpetually strong on it's own. I think this is the pick we wanted Etali to be. I gotta yay this.

Aurelia, the Warleader yay - 4 nay - 0
Signal Pest yay - 2 nay - 1
Laelia, the Blade Reforged yay - 2 nay - 0

On the clock today is @Moxnix and @Dunharrow.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5JGLDfA7OEy0ZaPb3Nw9QQ (looks like Moxfield is under high traffic so I'll add Aurelia later)
Last edited by 3drinks 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

toctheyounger

Yeah I'll yea Pest. Laelia is very strong too, easy yea.

Dunharrow

Toc confirmed them both but I would also yay pest and Laelia.

I will nominate Graveyard Trespasser // Graveyard Glutton. The Ward cost is annoying and you can exile a lot of cards with this guy.

toctheyounger

That's a decent find Dunharrow! In this deck it's basically a hatebear. I'll yea that.

3drinks

I'm not sure what to make of trespasser. It reads like a sometimes better Hive of the Eye Tyrant but telegraphed and not as nimble as Withered Wretch because of timing and it's not truly a response (same limitations as Hive but it doesn't take a land slot). On the other side, we do have a Scav Grounds and three cycling deserts already. Do we need this too?

I'd kinda want to punish in a different way, like, say, Guiltfeeder. I'm not sure this card is worth the squeeze all things considered. Exiling cards on attack is proactive but most times you want your grave hate to be reactive. If you're gonna be proactive, just kill them, and Guiltfeeder does that way better (especially with Isshin, oof)...wait, "and isn't blocked", does Isshin still double those delayed triggers? My reading suggests yes because it's still an ability triggering by something attacking but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't actually work that way. I think I'm gonna nay until I can be convinced otherwise. Good discussion to be had here I think.

On the clock today will be myself and @gsgfdf. I've danced around it enough, and as far as finishers go, my eldrazi reanimator plan probably isn't going to happen (c'mon guys, you ever t1 Exhume a Bane of Bala Ged? I wholeheartedly recommend it at least once a week, it's very healthy! What? Guys? Hey, where are you going with those pitchforks.............), I'm gonna nominate Fervent Charge.

Signal Pest yay - 3 nay - 1
Laelia, the Blade Reforged yay - 3 nay - 0

Graveyard Trespasser // Graveyard Glutton yay - 1 nay - 1
Fervent Charge yay - 0 nay - 0

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”