Eowyn's Rohirrim and Friends

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 4 months ago

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
Would it be better than Tocasia's Welcome for this build?
Or maybe Mentor of the Meek is a better option because it's a human. I just like 2 drops a lot more than 3 drops.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

NZB2323

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

NZB2323

This deck continues to impress. Latest games:

Turn 1: Weathered Wayfarer
Turn 2: Search for Ancient Tomb
Turn 3: Purphoros, God of the Forge
Turn 4: Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, 2 damage to each opponent
Turn 5: Combat Celebrant and Knight Exemplar, 2 tokens from Eowyn, 8 damage to each opponent, 12 combat damage from indestructible knights.
Turn 6: Forth Eorlingas! for 5, 2 tokens from Eowyn, 14 damage to each opponent, 33 combat damage from indestructible knights, 4 combat damage from Combat Celebrant exerted, 2 tokens from Eowyn, 4 damage to each opponent, 39 combat damage from indestructible knights.

So that's 84 damage from Purphoros and 88 combat damage(84 from indestructible creatures) by turn 6 for a grand total of 174 damage.

Another Game:

Turn 1: Mother of Runes
Turn 2: Hero of Precinct One
Turn 3: Jeweled Lotus, Éowyn, Shieldmaiden , 1 token from Hero.
Turn 4: Blade Historian, 2 tokens from Eowyn, 1 token from Hero, 24 combat damage
Turn 5: Unsettled Mariner, Shared Animosity, 2 tokens from Eowyn, 1 token from Hero, 182 combat damage

Having the knight tokens be 10/2s with double strike, trample, and haste is pretty crazy.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

samanater456

Post by samanater456 » 4 months ago

New spoilers. Thought's on Commander Mustard seems ok. We do have a few soldiers in the deck. Mana cost might be the bottleneck? I'll be testing it out for sure though.

NZB2323

samanater456 wrote:
4 months ago
New spoilers. Thought's on Commander Mustard seems ok. We do have a few soldiers in the deck. Mana cost might be the bottleneck? I'll be testing it out for sure though.
Definitely test it out, but I think that 5 mana is a lot for this deck, and it cost 5 mana to activate. Plus most of our creatures aren't soldiers. I think you'd want him in a soldier tribal deck and he could even be the commander of that deck.

Warleader's Call seems good for this deck. It's not a human and is higher on the mana curve, but I still like it. Not sure what to cut for it, but it seems worth testing.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
samanater456 wrote:
4 months ago
Definitely test it out, but I think that 5 mana is a lot for this deck, and it cost 5 mana to activate. Plus most of our creatures aren't soldiers. I think you'd want him in a soldier tribal deck and he could even be the commander of that deck.

Warleader's Call seems good for this deck. It's not a human and is higher on the mana curve, but I still like it. Not sure what to cut for it, but it seems worth testing.
I had cut Purphoros for Impact Tremors in an effort to lower my curve. This is Impact Tremors + an anthem for 1 more mana. Seems like a shoe-in there. I mean, Purphoros does more damage faster, but the anthem can make up a lot of that, and will add damage on following turns as well, even without adding more creatures to the field.

yeti1069

One problem I've noted with this deck, at least in the last game I played, is that if it comes out fast, it quickly becomes archenemy, then folds to a lot of interaction. I think I got hit with something like 4 or 5 pieces of targeted removal (Swatted 1 away), a Force of Despair killed off two creatures I played and the tokens made from Eowyn the first time, a Fog effect the turn I played Forth Eorlingas! so I also didn't even get the monarch, and 4 Wraths over the first 6 or 7 turns. Eowyn cost 9, and I was topdecking vs decks drawing multiple cards per turn. Maybe just a bad match-up all around, but...OUCH!

NZB2323

yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
samanater456 wrote:
4 months ago

I had cut Purphoros for Impact Tremors in an effort to lower my curve. This is Impact Tremors + an anthem for 1 more mana. Seems like a shoe-in there. I mean, Purphoros does more damage faster, but the anthem can make up a lot of that, and will add damage on following turns as well, even without adding more creatures to the field.
I did the opposite. I cut Impact Tremors and left Purphoros. I think Purphoros is just better. We make most of our tokens after turn 4, he deals twice the damage, indestructible, can pump creatures, and can become one. You talk about the deck folding to interaction, but it's hard to interact with Purphoros.
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
One problem I've noted with this deck, at least in the last game I played, is that if it comes out fast, it quickly becomes archenemy, then folds to a lot of interaction. I think I got hit with something like 4 or 5 pieces of targeted removal (Swatted 1 away), a Force of Despair killed off two creatures I played and the tokens made from Eowyn the first time, a Fog effect the turn I played Forth Eorlingas! so I also didn't even get the monarch, and 4 Wraths over the first 6 or 7 turns. Eowyn cost 9, and I was topdecking vs decks drawing multiple cards per turn. Maybe just a bad match-up all around, but...OUCH!
I think the deck has ways to deal with interaction. Mother of Runes, Flawless Maneuver, Fierce Guardianship , Deflecting Swat, Clever Concealment, Esper Sentinel, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Unsettled Mariner, Coppercoat Vanguard, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Mystic Remora, Rhystic Study, Smothering Tithe, Dauntless Dismantler, Knight Exemplar, Bastion Protector, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, ect.

I learned from @ISBPathfinder in a different website in a thread about Edgar Markov that the best answer to board wipes can be card draw. For Markov, it was Necropotence. For this deck, it may be Kindred Discovery. If you have Purphoros, God of the Forge and Kindred Discovery in play, it really doesn't matter if your opponents board wipe every turn. Kindred Discovery can be searched with Enlightened Tutor, and brought back with Hall of Heliod's Generosity, which can be searched with Weathered Wayfarer, who can be searched with Imperial Recruiter or Recruiter of the Guard.

Westfold Rider and Bounty Agent can also be sacrificed in response to a board wipe, and if it's Blasphemous Act, then Mother of Runes can save 1 creature.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago

I did the opposite. I cut Impact Tremors and left Purphoros. I think Purphoros is just better. We make most of our tokens after turn 4, he deals twice the damage, indestructible, can pump creatures, and can become one. You talk about the deck folding to interaction, but it's hard to interact with Purphoros.
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
I think the deck has ways to deal with interaction. Mother of Runes, Flawless Maneuver, Fierce Guardianship , Deflecting Swat, Clever Concealment, Esper Sentinel, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Unsettled Mariner, Coppercoat Vanguard, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Mystic Remora, Rhystic Study, Smothering Tithe, Dauntless Dismantler, Knight Exemplar, Bastion Protector, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, ect.

I learned from @ISBPathfinder in a different website in a thread about Edgar Markov that the best answer to board wipes can be card draw. For Markov, it was Necropotence. For this deck, it may be Kindred Discovery. If you have Purphoros, God of the Forge and Kindred Discovery in play, it really doesn't matter if your opponents board wipe every turn. Kindred Discovery can be searched with Enlightened Tutor, and brought back with Hall of Heliod's Generosity, which can be searched with Weathered Wayfarer, who can be searched with Imperial Recruiter or Recruiter of the Guard.

Westfold Rider and Bounty Agent can also be sacrificed in response to a board wipe, and if it's Blasphemous Act, then Mother of Runes can save 1 creature.
I'll just note that ISBP had been playing mostly 3-player games, if I recall correctly, and didn't run into that many wipes regularly. I'd built an Edgar deck modeled somewhat after his, and I won 0% of my games vs 3 opponents (with probably over 20 games with the deck), whereas I won around 75% of my games vs 2 opponents. Context matters a lot.

Still, I agree that card draw can often trump removal, and I have some of those pieces in for draw. I could use some more tutors to find the pieces more consistently. In this case, there wasn't any way I was going to outdraw my opponents (looking back at the game). The mono-white wipes deck, yeah, I could get ahead of on CA, but the Orzhov and transformer decks were drawing plenty of cards.

I agree that Purphoros is better, though I think I'm aiming at a lower power level than you are, for the time being at least. For instance, I'm not running stax pieces for the most part. The Mariner is a card I haven't thought about in a while, but I think would be a great fit here.

NZB2323

yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago

I'll just note that ISBP had been playing mostly 3-player games, if I recall correctly, and didn't run into that many wipes regularly. I'd built an Edgar deck modeled somewhat after his, and I won 0% of my games vs 3 opponents (with probably over 20 games with the deck), whereas I won around 75% of my games vs 2 opponents. Context matters a lot.

Still, I agree that card draw can often trump removal, and I have some of those pieces in for draw. I could use some more tutors to find the pieces more consistently. In this case, there wasn't any way I was going to outdraw my opponents (looking back at the game). The mono-white wipes deck, yeah, I could get ahead of on CA, but the Orzhov and transformer decks were drawing plenty of cards.

I agree that Purphoros is better, though I think I'm aiming at a lower power level than you are, for the time being at least. For instance, I'm not running stax pieces for the most part. The Mariner is a card I haven't thought about in a while, but I think would be a great fit here.
I've won a 5 person game before with Edgar Markov. It really doesn't matter how many opponents you have when you have Impact Tremors, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Sanctum Seeker, Malakir Bloodwitch, Cruel Celebrant, Vicious Conquistador, and Blood Seeker.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago

I've won a 5 person game before with Edgar Markov. It really doesn't matter how many opponents you have when you have Impact Tremors, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Sanctum Seeker, Malakir Bloodwitch, Cruel Celebrant, Vicious Conquistador, and Blood Seeker.
I had all of those in the deck, and it certainly mattered. Every piece of removal was pointed my way every game unless someone played something terrifying, and after 4 board wipes, even with plenty of card draw I'd either be out of gas, or near death due to all the black life for draw effects. Basically every game ended with me killing 2 opponents, but being in the single digits and dying to the last player.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”