Zedruu the Greatest of All Time

riceisgood
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by riceisgood » 1 year ago

ihatemaryfisher wrote:
1 year ago

Chance for Glory says to "take an extra turn after this one. When the spell resolves, it's controller takes an extra turn after the current turn (which could be anyone's).

Chance for Glory is also an instant, so you can cast it to take an extra turn at any point in the rotation.
I see. I would assume it's dangerous to play that with Sudden Substitution in case someone counters it.

Tags:

jjjrrrgggnnn

Post by jjjrrrgggnnn » 1 year ago

There's the beauty, first you cast Chance for Glory, hold priority, then cast Sudden Substitution, as sudden substitution has split second, your opponents can't counter it. They do have one turn to charge you down with indestructible creatures however.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

riceisgood wrote:
1 year ago
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Imagine you have Azor's Gateway and Unbender Tine and 20 life. You activate the Gateway for a mana, exile the 5th card, flip it, gain 5 life, and untap it. Tap for 25, untap with Tine, tap for 25 more. 49 net mana, neat! But instead, try this: activate the Gateway for 1 mana, untap with Tine in response, activate a second time for a mana. The second activation resolves for a loot, 5 life, a transform, and an untap. Tap for 25 mana. Then the first one resolves, but the rules say it can't transform again, so you end up with a loot, 5 life, and untap Sanctum of the Sun, which can tap for 30 mana now, a net of 53 instead.
I also had a question about this combo. How can you untap Sanctum of the Sun a second time? Technically, it already transformed and what's sitting on the stack is "untap Azor's Gateway." Sanctum of the Sun is not Azor's Gateway.
Sanctum of the Sun is actually Azor's Gateway. This is an easy one to not get right because so few of the double-faced cards transform on command in place. Werewolves flip based on turn cycles that have nothing on the stack when they happen, and flip-walkers have to leave the battlefield to re-enter with counters on them or they'd die with no loyalty.

But yeah, a card transforming does not inherently make it leave the battlefield, not does it become a different object. If you target a werewolf with Murder, and its controller casts Moonmist in response, it doesn't counter Murder. A creature that transforms in place retains anything attached to it, all counters on it, and even the damage marked on it for the turn. All because it's the same object as before it transformed.

For the record, there is a specific rule that creates the behavior by which multiple activations of Azor's Gateway consecutively fails to flip the card:
701.28f If an activated or triggered ability of a permanent that isn't a delayed triggered ability of that permanent tries to transform it, the permanent does so only if it hasn't transformed or converted since the ability was put onto the stack. If a delayed triggered ability of a permanent tries to transform that permanent, the permanent does so only if it hasn't transformed or converted since that delayed triggered ability was created. In both cases, if the permanent has already transformed or converted, an instruction to do either is ignored.
It looks like other people covered the Chance for Glory/Sudden Substitution interaction pretty thoroughly. It's very close to "kill one player in particular", which is not what we want to do.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

riceisgood

Post by riceisgood » 1 year ago

That makes sense thank you! To clarify, after the stack resolves, then Azor's Gateway doesn't exist anymore right?

Hypothetically speaking, on a future turn, if a card said, "Name a card… destroy all permanents with that name", and that player said "Azor's Gateway," well now it's Sanctum of the Sun. Therefore, it wouldn't be destroyed.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

riceisgood wrote:
1 year ago
That makes sense thank you! To clarify, after the stack resolves, then Azor's Gateway doesn't exist anymore right?

Hypothetically speaking, on a future turn, if a card said, "Name a card… destroy all permanents with that name", and that player said "Azor's Gateway," well now it's Sanctum of the Sun. Therefore, it wouldn't be destroyed.
Yes. The object is the same, but the name is different. If some Pithing Needles Azor's Gateway, but we turned it into Golden Guardian, it's no longer effected. If we then fight and return the card flipped, it is similarly now named Sanctum of the Sun and is unaffected, though it only has a mana ability so that doesn't matter much.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 1 year ago

Wormfang Manta continues to be the clunkiest thing I have ever played, but there is such a rewarding feeling when it goes off....
Last night I was able to put it on the field, had an Exalted Flamer of Tzeentch in play, casted a Sakashima the Impostor copying anything BUT the fish (I think it was a mana dork that I copied - it doesnt matter.), payed the UUCC of Sakashima to bring him back eot and casted a Mirrorweave targeting the Manta. Eot, the Mantashima came back to my hand, giving me an extra turn. At the beggining of my next turn, Exalted Flamer brought Mirrorweave back to hand to complete the loop. Thus the Manta+Flamer+Sakashima+Mirroweave combo is born! :grin:
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Dakkon Blackblade Miracles Control
Teneb, the Harvester Pestilence
Soul of Windgrace Loam Balance
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain

BananiPoodle

Post by BananiPoodle » 11 months ago

Since you are mentioning 5 card combos in the primer, I'd like to share that I won my last game with Bonus Round+Venter, Shaper Savant+Displacer Kitten+Turnabout. Really enjoying this new iteration of the deck by the way!!
Cheers!

Pianoman7117

Post by Pianoman7117 » 11 months ago

Hey guys! Built your old Zedruu list about 2 years ago as my first constructed deck ever (Was probably a terrible idea in hindsight but also I've learned so much about the game because of you) I currently have 4 decks and Zedruu is the one I just keep going back to and I can't thank you enough for this primer tstorm, it's been vital to my love of mtg. My favorite thing is finding the dumbest obscure cards and thinking "Hmm I bet this is a combo in zedruu.." My most recent one that I'm considering putting in is Pyxis of Pandemonium. I know you're currently brainstorming the newest iteration, but on your old list, I don't know if this would be more fun to sac and just flip a bunch of cards and say "ooops I win :) " or to just exile every deck with this combined with march of the machines, jeskai ascendancy, banishing knack, and pentad prism. Hope your new iteration has been going well and just wanted to let you know the spirit of your older version lives on <3

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 11 months ago

Pianoman7117 wrote:
11 months ago
Hope your new iteration has been going well and just wanted to let you know the spirit of your older version lives on <3
I will note that of the big list of changes on the front post, like half of them are old favorites returning from years past. For example, Vedalken Orrery, Chrome Mox, Vanish into Memory, Mind Over Matter, Dictate of Kruphix, and Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper are all cards that were previously in this deck all together in 2015. I've been trying to make Venser, Shaper Savant feel as good as it does now for almost that long. We were talking about Savor the Moment, and while it didn't make the cut, I played with it for a bunch of games recently for maybe the first time in a decade, cause that was in the deck in like 2012. Every major change here, I'm always looking back at what I used to do to maybe bring forward.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

There's enough interesting stuff coming out of Middle Earth to do a quick review of things that caught my eye.

Cards I might take for a swing if I was playing a lot of Magic:

Gandalf the White: Another in the line of things that give flash to things, with an extra upside that can trigger off of a bunch of things that are either in here, or have been. Most notable synergies with Sakashima the Impostor and Venser, Shaper Savant, I think.
Borne Upon a Wind: And another another in the line of things that give flash to things, but is also just a cantrip. Having a cantrip can be nice in here, especially in Eye of the Storm. It's about the same mana efficiency as Electrodominance for giving one of anything flash, but this notably gives everything flash for the rest of the turn, so I wouldn't blame anyone for trying this out.
Goldberry, River-Daughter: This card is built to combo with Magosi, the Waterveil . All you need is a way to proliferate, first thing to come to mind that wouldn't break the 4-card rule is Inexorable Tide, and then you just need to ensure you can cast a spell every turn with the 4th piece. Also, this has card draw strapped to it, so if you want to play a version with more counters floating around, you could do worse.
Storm of Saruman: It copies anything, so I have to mention it. But also, it costs 6, and requires some pretty precise planning to maximize.
Display of Power: We like to copy spells, this copies spells. Also, nobody will believe you, but this actually works with Eye of the Storm. It only says the spell cannot be copied, but Eye of the Storm does not copy spells, it copies cards, and then casts the copies, so you can cast the copies just fine,
Fall of Cair Andros: This is a card that could play in the Brash Taunter/Arcbond strategy family. If an opponent has an indestructible creature, and you can repeatedly damage it, you can amass repeatedly too. The most appealing part of this is that we already make our creatures indestructible for a few combos, and getting that into an opponent's control is a task for Zedruu. Also, amass tokens are 0/0, so it makes Mirrorweave a board wipe if you want.

Card I'm probably gonna give a real test here:

Mines of Moria: It's an often untapped color producing land, so the deck-building cost is minimal, it can bank mana in the sorts of games where you sit behind a Leyline of Anticipation holding bombs in hand for the right time, and it can do the loop with Mirror of Fate.

Card that I could strongly consider but technically goes too infinite.

Ioreth of the Healing House: she's a mana dork for Jeskai Ascendancy, and brings into play some interesting combos with Sakashima the Impostor. If you make a legendary clone of Ioreth, you can have them untap each other while also untapping another legendary creature. That could be infinite mana with any legend and Relic of Legends, or infinite mana with a legendary land and Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper. She hits most of the synergy list for Unbender Tine, and also let's Minamo, School at Water's Edge effectively untap anything. But there's probably multiple too efficient infinites I haven't found and one that I have: Ioreth of the Healing House + Cadric, Soul Kindler plus Venser, Shaper Savant lets you make a hasty Ioreth for 9 mana and have Ioreth and Venser back in hand. Do that twice, then 4 mana for a third Ioreth, and they can loop untapping each other and lands for infinite mana, which boomerangs infinite times, and makes infinite hasty attackers. And while 22 startup mana may seem like a lot, if 3 are from a Gilded Lotus, it's actually more like 16. So those 3 creatures don't get to play together, but I could see myself revisiting this in the future if I take either of the other two out.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 11 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
11 months ago
Goldberry, River-Daughter: This card is built to combo with Magosi, the Waterveil . All you need is a way to proliferate, first thing to come to mind that wouldn't break the 4-card rule is Inexorable Tide, and then you just need to ensure you can cast a spell every turn with the 4th piece.
So, Venser, Shaper Savant.
tstorm823 wrote:
11 months ago

Ioreth of the Healing House....
Ioreth is a nice call. I do not run Cadric, thank God she is human otherwise she would have gone infinite with Lore Drakkis as well (especially considering I have a Splinter Twin in my list).
Funny enough, I do not run enough impactful legendary creatures to have an infinite with her. However. There is a way to make non-legendary creatures legendary. The opposite of Lore Drakkis. Mutate creatures with Vadrok, Apex of Thunder. With that addition even a Prodigal Sorcerer can be deadly. I always wanted to add Vadrok to the mix and now Ioreth gives me an opportunity to do so and tinker more. Nothing concrete thus far, but the research for the best/most fun/not turbocomboing with MOM, non-legendary creatures for that interaction is now on.

Another card that will probably go to a lot of Zedruu decks is Hithlain Rope. Seems a nice self-gifting card that ramps/draws a card. I think I will try this as well.
Sliver Queen Enchantress

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
11 months ago
Another card that will probably go to a lot of Zedruu decks is Hithlain Rope. Seems a nice self-gifting card that ramps/draws a card. I think I will try this as well.
I had made mental note of this, but obviously my mental note wasn't sticky enough. That is certainly also a Zedruu card, decent rate ramp outside of green and then passive card draw with Zedruu.

Burningnomad

Post by Burningnomad » 11 months ago

I just need to say I've been following this thread for years now and you're the reason zedruu is my favorite as I've learned the more unique side to her compared to what edhrec and stuff shows but I just have a question or two on timings of playing cards. Do you wait to cast eye of the Storm, knowledge pool, and possibility storm until you think you can win off them that turn or the turn after or do you just throw them onto the battlefield when you have the chance and hope for the best? Also would you consider those cards feel bad cards for your opponents or do people not usually seem to annoyed with them? I'm asking as I have only played with one group but am thinking of going to play at a lgs for the first time soon.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Burningnomad wrote:
11 months ago
I just need to say I've been following this thread for years now and you're the reason zedruu is my favorite as I've learned the more unique side to her compared to what edhrec and stuff shows but I just have a question or two on timings of playing cards. Do you wait to cast eye of the Storm, knowledge pool, and possibility storm until you think you can win off them that turn or the turn after or do you just throw them onto the battlefield when you have the chance and hope for the best? Also would you consider those cards feel bad cards for your opponents or do people not usually seem to annoyed with them? I'm asking as I have only played with one group but am thinking of going to play at a lgs for the first time soon.
As similar as the cards are mechanically, they are quite different strategically.

Possibility Storm is largely disruption, and can be slammed almost whenever you want. It rarely backfires, and generally hurts most decks.

Eye of the Storm is the opposite, it's largely an enabler, so you want to flash it in or wait til you can abuse or protect it right away. Tapping out for Eye and letting people do their worst can be funny if you're really goofing around, but if someone wins off of it in a more serious game, it's the sort of thing that makes people feel like the game was invalidated.

Knowledge Pool is somewhere in-between. I recommend having a spell to cast after, to either take the best thing or pull out the removal, but it's unlikely playing it loses you the game before your next turn.

An exception would be if someone is close to winning, and they need to be board wiped. Knowledge Pool becomes a great play as a pseudo draw 12 with 4 players to maybe hit an answer, and possibilty storm counters everyone else's answers, making it a terrible time to cast that.

Burningnomad

Post by Burningnomad » 11 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
11 months ago
Burningnomad wrote:
11 months ago
As similar as the cards are mechanically, they are quite different strategically.

Possibility Storm is largely disruption, and can be slammed almost whenever you want. It rarely backfires, and generally hurts most decks.

Eye of the Storm is the opposite, it's largely an enabler, so you want to flash it in or wait til you can abuse or protect it right away. Tapping out for Eye and letting people do their worst can be funny if you're really goofing around, but if someone wins off of it in a more serious game, it's the sort of thing that makes people feel like the game was invalidated.

Knowledge Pool is somewhere in-between. I recommend having a spell to cast after, to either take the best thing or pull out the removal, but it's unlikely playing it loses you the game before your next turn.

An exception would be if someone is close to winning, and they need to be board wiped. Knowledge Pool becomes a great play as a pseudo draw 12 with 4 players to maybe hit an answer, and possibilty storm counters everyone else's answers, making it a terrible time to cast that.
Thank you for the advise I ask partly because my friends can sometimes groan at these cards (especially knowledge pool) and wanted to figure out the more efficient or correct time/place to use them. So thank you! Also thank you for still keeping up with this after so long you're to blame doe the fact my friends have heard me talk about this one card for so long.

Flem1000

Post by Flem1000 » 10 months ago

I was just looking through the new front and read a combo I'm not quite sure if I understand correctly. It's listed under 4-card combos in the Displacer Kitten section.
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Knowledge Pool with Gilded Lotus on the side can trigger Displacer Kitten twice per cast from hand, once from hand and the second coming out of the pool, using one to flicker the Lotus and the other to bounce the second spell to hand; that way, any two noncreatures with combined mana cost 5 or less makes infinite mana, which can be immediately spent bouncing and replaying Knowledge Pool to mill out the table. And with almost as many cheap noncreature spells as lands, that's not a hard requirement to meet.
As far as I understand, we have two Displacer Kittens, Venser Shaper Savant, Knowledge Pool and Gilded Lotus on the battlefield. When we cast, say, a 2-mana noncreature spell, both the Kittens will trigger, flickering the Lotus so it can be tapped for mana again, and one other thing. Now the spell gets put in the Pool, and our new spell triggers the Kittens again. One of the kittens can flicker Knowledge Pool I guess while the other flickers Venser, bouncing our spell to hand, so we can cast it again. Rise and repeat, exiling all the players libraries while generating infinite mana?

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 10 months ago

Flem1000 wrote:
10 months ago
As far as I understand, we have two Displacer Kittens, Venser Shaper Savant, Knowledge Pool and Gilded Lotus on the battlefield. When we cast, say, a 2-mana noncreature spell, both the Kittens will trigger, flickering the Lotus so it can be tapped for mana again, and one other thing. Now the spell gets put in the Pool, and our new spell triggers the Kittens again. One of the kittens can flicker Knowledge Pool I guess while the other flickers Venser, bouncing our spell to hand, so we can cast it again. Rise and repeat, exiling all the players libraries while generating infinite mana?
No. There is only one Kitten. When you cast a spell, it will a) Trigger Kitten (flicker Lotus) and b) Trigger Knowledge Pool (the spell will be put in the Knowledge Pool and you will cast another spell that was exiled with the Pool). When "b" happens, the new spell that you play will trigger Kitten again (flicker Venser, Venser bounces the spell back to hand). Now you can do this again, by using the mana from the, now untapped Lotus. The 2 condition with this going infinite is, of course both spells should be noncreature and none of them cost more than 3 mana (so that they can be played with the Lotus mana). If at least one of them costs less mana, then you net 1 mana each time, leading to infinite mana. With infinite mana, you can start flickering the Knowledge Pool itself.
Sliver Queen Enchantress

Flem1000

Post by Flem1000 » 10 months ago

Sefir wrote:
10 months ago
No. There is only one Kitten. When you cast a spell, it will a) Trigger Kitten (flicker Lotus) and b) Trigger Knowledge Pool (the spell will be put in the Knowledge Pool and you will cast another spell that was exiled with the Pool). When "b" happens, the new spell that you play will trigger Kitten again (flicker Venser, Venser bounces the spell back to hand). Now you can do this again, by using the mana from the, now untapped Lotus. The 2 condition with this going infinite is, of course both spells should be noncreature and none of them cost more than 3 mana (so that they can be played with the Lotus mana). If at least one of them costs less mana, then you net 1 mana each time, leading to infinite mana. With infinite mana, you can start flickering the Knowledge Pool itself.
Ah I see! Didn't catch that only one Kitten was required. That makes sense, thanks a lot for the explanation!

IceJack66

Post by IceJack66 » 10 months ago

Hi, i'm a new commander player and i've been charmed by your deck idea. I wast looking just for something like this.
I'm trying to make a budget version of the deck, and i need to replace 30 cards, which are listed subsequentely. As i'm not an expert of the game, i was wondering if you or someone with more knowledge than me could give some tips on what to replace them for.

The cards i can't afford are:

cascade buffs
mystic gate
rugged praerie
deserted beach
stormcarved coast
raugrin triome
forbidden orchard
forsaken city
minamo, school at water's edge
nykthos, shrine to nyx
reliquary tower
the mycosynth gardens

venser, the soujurner

crystalline crawler
displacer kitten
cavalier of dawn

chrome mox
cursed mirror
font of mythos
vedalken orrery

opalescence
mind over matter

firestorm
stifle
electrodominance
narset's reversal

shatterskull smashing
bonus round
echo of eons
sea gate restoration

Thanks for the guide and for any help!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 10 months ago

IceJack66 wrote:
10 months ago
Hi, i'm a new commander player and i've been charmed by your deck idea. I wast looking just for something like this.
I'm trying to make a budget version of the deck, and i need to replace 30 cards, which are listed subsequentely. As i'm not an expert of the game, i was wondering if you or someone with more knowledge than me could give some tips on what to replace them for.

The cards i can't afford are:

cascade buffs
mystic gate
rugged praerie
deserted beach
stormcarved coast
raugrin triome
forbidden orchard
forsaken city
minamo, school at water's edge
nykthos, shrine to nyx
reliquary tower
the mycosynth gardens

venser, the soujurner

crystalline crawler
displacer kitten
cavalier of dawn

chrome mox
cursed mirror
font of mythos
vedalken orrery

opalescence
mind over matter

firestorm
stifle
electrodominance
narset's reversal

shatterskull smashing
bonus round
echo of eons
sea gate restoration

Thanks for the guide and for any help!
That is a big list, but I think we can tackle it.

First, half that pile is lands. Just play other lands, no need to overthink it. I certainly play the lands that I do for reasons, but at the end of the day, they're just lands. 99% of what they do is make mana. The majority of the lands you're missing are just color fixing lands, if you have to play more basics and be less consistent or play some cheap tapped lands and be slower, it's not the worst tragedy. And none of the utility lands are things the deck otherwise depends on

The next thing to tackle is Mind Over Matter. No other card is Mind Over Matter. If you want the ability to dump your hand quickly, Dream Halls or Omniscience can do it, but they don't do the tap/untap dance that Mind Over Matter does, so I think it's best not to try to replace it, and just embrace a different direction. Without it, you can play cards that tap to draw like Kwain, Itinerant Meddler or Temple Bell (or anything that taps to draw a card really) without accidental infinite combos. Those are easy opportunities to replace some of the draw options that you're missing. Additionally, without Displacer Kitten, you could grab a Coveted Jewel. It's a card we know is great that I only avoid to not make other things too oppressive, but you're missing those other things, so it should be a safe inclusion for you and a reasonable replacement of something like Echo of Eons.

You're missing two of the three flash enablers. If you've got Sphinx of the Second Sun, I would recommend at least a second. The Lord of the Rings set just released Borne Upon a Wind, which is very Electrodominance adjacent. There are others as well, Wizards has been all about flash enablers for a few years.

If I couldn't play Bonus Round, I probably wouldn't play Narset's Reversal, so that's kind of a two-for. I would probably go for Thousand-Year Storm as the replacement, but there are also things like Swarm Intelligence if you want more budget than than. A card that doubles all the spells is just good to have, it opens up lines of play that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Electrodominance, Firestorm, and Shatterskull Smashing are all direct damage spells. You'll either need to replace them with some direct damage, or reconsider playing Swans of Bryn Argoll if the only method to draw from it is Golden Guardian. You may want to consider the classic Seismic Assault interaction. I've played plenty of that card in Zedruu, and it can definitely put in work, while also giving a little of Firestorm's ability to clear lands from your hand if you want to Barren Glory. I never really found a clean way to make Seismic Swans a perfect 4-card combo, but if nothing else, it's also fun with Leave // Chance. If you happen to have a Land Tax laying around, Seismic Land Tax is a brutal setup, but that's not exactly a budget friendly alternative. Also, Lightning Bolt is always a fine card.

The last one-to-one substitution I see would be if you want a mana dork in place of Crystalline Crawler, you could play Vizier of Tumbling Sands.

After all that, it's important to consider what interactions are broken without the cards you're missing, and honestly it isn't that much. Obviously all the Displacer Kitten and Narset's Reversal combos are gone, but for most of the potential win conditions, you've got them preserved at least a little even without all this. There's a question that if you don't have Opalescence, is it worth bothering with Detention Sphere? I don't know the answer to that, it's still a very good Zedruu card. There's a question here of whether you have enough to make Mirror of Fate work, since you're down a way to copy it, a way to recur it to hand, and a way to shuffle it back in. If you want to play Mirror of Fate, definitely consider cards that either recur artifacts from grave or exile cards from graveyard (as a replacement effect or at instant speed). The whole deck is a big puzzle, and almost anytime I replace 1 card, I end up replacing a bunch that don't feel right without the first one. That's just the way it goes.

And if you want some more specific suggestions of card alternations, I have a section for that at the bottom of the front post. Just make sure you manage your mana source count, your card draw, and your interaction, and you should function well enough to get to do some goofy things.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 10 months ago

IceJack66 wrote:
10 months ago
Of course nothing stops you from doing some research and find some interactions on your own that none of us use. I get it that you are new to the format and this version of Zedruu is not easy to play in general, but one of the best things about it is that it can be VERY personalized, built with the cards/interactions you love the most. For example, you might like some interaction involving Words of War and Swans of Bryn Argoll. Or perhaps you find some whacky interaction with Savor the Moment that none of us did. Or even go the life route, with possible interactions between cards like Treasonous Ogre, Enduring Angel // Angelic Enforcer, Children of Korlis, etc. The most intricate combos and interactions are based in specific rulings that makes you think like a lawyer, but this is far from the grand majority of them. Use your imagination and be wild! :)
tstorm823 wrote:
10 months ago
You may want to consider the classic Seismic Assault interaction. I've played plenty of that card in Zedruu, and it can definitely put in work, while also giving a little of Firestorm's ability to clear lands from your hand if you want to Barren Glory. I never really found a clean way to make Seismic Swans a perfect 4-card combo, but if nothing else, it's also fun with Leave // Chance.
I love Seismic Assault..... In my old Jund Loam deck, (basically a deck that was based around playing Life from the Loam many times each turn), I had some Seismic Assault combos, like f.e. Seismic Assault+Life from the Loam+ Surly Badgersaur+Tectonic Reformation and any 3 lands in hand or gy.
Sliver Queen Enchantress

IceJack66

Thanks for all the help guys, I do really appreciate it, and it has been of greate use.
This is the list I came up with. I'm sure it could be improved, and tomorrow i'll playtest it with some friends.
Anyway, what do you think about it? Is there some more trickery i could insert in place of some monsters?
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/xZJDfm3hukmDoD3CJZKSQQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 10 months ago

IceJack66 wrote:
10 months ago
Thanks for all the help guys, I do really appreciate it, and it has been of greate use.
This is the list I came up with. I'm sure it could be improved, and tomorrow i'll playtest it with some friends.
Anyway, what do you think about it? Is there some more trickery i could insert in place of some monsters?
Looking at your list, I was about to say Strionic Resonator would add some good trickiness, but then I saw it's already there, Looks like you brought back in Resonator combos, Chaos Warp's got the combo, and Nin, the Pain Artist is a good call for Swans.

On the things I haven't played before, I'm sure Hullbreaker Horror is bomb-tastic, but I did find myself spot-checking for accidental infinites (it looks safe). I'd love if you could play this a bunch of times and let me know how Heliod, the Radiant Dawn // Heliod, the Warped Eclipse feels. Testing Tidal Barracuda is still on my to-do list years later, I don't know that I'll ever get to Heliod myself, and with these sorts of cards I can't goldfish test them, I need real opponents, so it takes a lot longer to get a feel for them.

The only problematic decision is Razortide Bridge and Rustvale Bridge in a deck with March of the Machines, that might cause you problems.

Quick comment on a couple things I have played: Psychosis Crawler and Aminatou's Augury are both cards I've played plenty of, and don't now mostly cause they feel like easy-mode. Not even cause they're stronger than other cards (though Augury almost certainly is), but because they reduce a lot of the thinking this deck demands. Psychosis Crawler is sometimes "oh, I drew crawler, I guess I win now", and Aminatou's Augury is sometimes "oh, I drew Augury, just casting that is almost certainly the best thing I can be doing right now". And just as a matter of personal preference, I don't want those moments. That being said, I made those decisions after playing this deck like a thousand times, you don't need to make things harder on yourself right away.

ihatemaryfisher
Pronoun: they / them

Post by ihatemaryfisher » 10 months ago

IceJack66 wrote:
10 months ago
I'm a little concerned about your mana distribution. Many of your substitutions have been with high-cost cards, e.g., Thousand-Year Storm, Hullbreaker Horror, etc. I couldn't run these for fear of putting a target on myself, but maybe your meta can support a higher mana playstyle.

Pandemonium is severely limited without Opalescence. I don't run it anyway, so I don't know all of the other combos, but it's worth mentioning.

2x Arcbond combos have lost Bonus Round and Narset's Reversal. I'd consider adding Reverberate or Reiterate or Increasing Vengeance as another combo piece that can also (1) copy an opponent's ramp spell, (2) copy a bomb like Aminatou's Augury, or (3) copy an opponent's counterspell when you're combo-ing off.

You have a high number of lower-cost creatures and expensive non-creature spells. Sorcerer Class could be an excellent fit. Also, I've been wanting to try Scheming Fence as a low-cost mirror of fate combo piece/interaction. Maybe this is a good place to try it out.

IceJack66

I have read your last tips and have removed the two bridges for some generic taplands. Also, as I already own that card and could change it anytime, i have tried to remove the hullbreaker horror in favor of a reverberate to lower (just a little bit) the mana curve and to focus my game plan more on sorceries and instants (also, i agree with the fact that a 7 mana monster is quite heavy).
I'll tell you as soon as possible how i'll find the deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”