Fall set Name revealed at SDCC

Istarkano
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

Maro said on his blog that the face planeswalker for Eldraine is a planeswalker with a card that is from Eldraine. Here is a list of the living walkers without a known/named home plane:

Aminatou
Angrath
Ashiok
Davriel Cane
Estrid
Garruk
Kasmina
Kaya
Ob Nixilis
Rowan and Will Kenrith
The Wanderer
Wrenn and Six

In addition, he is saying that he will also talk about "changes" during the panel... Can it be 7:31 pm PST tomorrow already?!?
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I anticipate either Kasmina or Estrid then. I do wish it had been a Faerie Planeswalker tho.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago
Maro said on his blog that the face planeswalker for Eldraine is a planeswalker with a card that is from Eldraine. Here is a list of the living walkers without a known/named home plane:

Aminatou
Angrath
Ashiok
Davriel Cane
Estrid
Garruk
Kasmina
Kaya
Ob Nixilis
Rowan and Will Kenrith
The Wanderer
Wrenn and Six

In addition, he is saying that he will also talk about "changes" during the panel... Can it be 7:31 pm PST tomorrow already?!?
Aminatou is from a plane based on West Africa, so that seems highly unlikely. And Ob Nixilis's home plane is, well, dead, it got annihilated as he sparked, so that seems unlikely as well.

Of those ones, I think Kasmina or Davriel Cane are the two most likely candidates.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Kasmina was already mentioned as someone they have plans with, while the way they talk about Davriel has given me the impression that they look forward to "eventually" using him, but not actually soon.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

Hopefully Aminatou is pre-Mending because her powers are absolutely absurd and shortsighted with no thought towards how they'd fit in an ongoing narrative. Her plane also is very, very different from what we've seen of Eldraine.

Angrath REALLY does not fit the vibe of Eldraine. This definitely doesn't seem like the place to put Ashiok, either.

Dav should be saved for a return to Innistrad. That's where his life (and Miss Highwater!) is, he doesn't seem in a hurry to change that.

Estrid isn't a bad choice, but her masks don't seem to fit the vibe, either.

They've been really pushing that they have plans for Kasmina. If this is the Arthurian / fairy tale world, she's the perfect fit. If it ends up being the pre-revolutionary France world, probably not. If it's that world, Kaya would be a good fit and it could go along with the War of the Spark: Forsaken novel.

Ob Nixilis is out because he killed his entire plane.

Rowan and Will are practically guaranteed if it's the Arthurian world, as they're out there 'spreading knightly virtues'.

The Wanderer seems like an odd choice.

Wrenn and Six never seem like they could be the face of a set.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Watchwolf

Post by Watchwolf » 4 years ago

Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago

Aminatou
Angrath
Ashiok
Davriel Cane
Estrid
Garruk
Kasmina
Kaya
Ob Nixilis
Rowan and Will Kenrith
The Wanderer
Wrenn and Six

My bets are Garruk (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Garruk_Wildspeaker) or Kaya (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Kaya).

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

I'm eager to see Garruk again. He makes such a good 'villain'.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
Hopefully Aminatou is pre-Mending because her powers are absolutely absurd and shortsighted with no thought towards how they'd fit in an ongoing narrative. Her plane also is very, very different from what we've seen of Eldraine.

Angrath REALLY does not fit the vibe of Eldraine. This definitely doesn't seem like the place to put Ashiok, either.

Dav should be saved for a return to Innistrad. That's where his life (and Miss Highwater!) is, he doesn't seem in a hurry to change that.

Estrid isn't a bad choice, but her masks don't seem to fit the vibe, either.

They've been really pushing that they have plans for Kasmina. If this is the Arthurian / fairy tale world, she's the perfect fit. If it ends up being the pre-revolutionary France world, probably not. If it's that world, Kaya would be a good fit and it could go along with the War of the Spark: Forsaken novel.

Ob Nixilis is out because he killed his entire plane.

Rowan and Will are practically guaranteed if it's the Arthurian world, as they're out there 'spreading knightly virtues'.

The Wanderer seems like an odd choice.

Wrenn and Six never seem like they could be the face of a set.
Aminatou is not pre-mending from what we know.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CubJay
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
Aminatou is not pre-mending from what we know.
In fact she can't be pre-mending because she is explicitly a child, and the mending was 60 years ago (unless her card is depicting her a lomg time ago, which admittedly has precedent)

Jace

I wish Aminatou had intriguing limitations to her power. For example, it's an ability that fades with age as she matures. And her quest may eventually become reversing the loss of her touch on the magic. That as long as she's a child with youthful, negligible desires, her power over fate is vast, but I. Time, and with greater insight into it, the ability dissipates.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

nice to know there would be more faeries. Maybe this set would make faerie tribal stronger in modern.

Curious if Kasmina would be from this set.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

Does it seem a bit more of a Magic style direct rehash of fairytales than a Magic plane in fairy tale style?
Those arts are so specific that the"inspired by" doesnt come across as much as "this is the gingerbread man/house, sleeping beauty, etc etc, rapunzel..you know exact reference instead of inspired by.

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
nice to know there would be more faeries. Maybe this set would make faerie tribal stronger in modern.
Faerie community is hoping on actually becoming a real tribal deck.
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
There will be 3 Planeswalkers. 2 Known, 1 Unknown.[src]
And we already know one of the twins is in there.
Second known will very likely be Kasmina or second twin. Or they throw a curveball and take out Garruk :P
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Max Rebo wrote:
4 years ago
Does it seem a bit more of a Magic style direct rehash of fairytales than a Magic plane in fairy tale style?
Those arts are so specific that the"inspired by" doesnt come across as much as "this is the gingerbread man/house, sleeping beauty, etc etc, rapunzel..you know exact reference instead of inspired by.
We literally just have the art without any context to show how the tropes are implemented. We already saw with Goldilocks that here she is a hunter who willing breaks into her preys house. The "evil queen" from snow white has some emrakul body horror going on ect.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Jace

The art is exactly what I want it to be. I wanted them to be resonant and I'm thrilled it's transparent. Some of us actually want 1:1 correlation with the trope and the cards. Being "creative" for the sake of it is so overrated. I want to see the artistic interpretations of these tropes, how the effects correlate with and depict the stories in card mechanics, and the idea of a MTG world containing all these elements in it. That's where the creativity is. Just changing crap around to muddle the source material and it's influence for the sake of looking like hipsters does not make a quality set. Instead it sacrifices resonance for negligible bragging rights that doesn't do anyone any good. Now stop it.

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

If I wanted to see a (dark, twisted, funny, flip/flopped, pun style) card of existing fairy tales, I would look at something like Garbage Pail Kids or something.
It just seems weird to me that they are taking the EXACT stories and putting a spin on it, instead of coming up with their own. I dont want them to be 'hipster' in any way, just not lazy.
This is still all speculation until we see the actual set but the art so far aren't making me believe they've come up with their own.
The "Flaxen Intruder" name and picture seem exactly what would be on a silly Un-set or Garbage pail kid card.
Just IMO

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

They have always had both direct references in individual cards and their own twists as well. Innistrad e. g. has featured both the Blob and the Fly and the Invisible Man and Jekyll/Hyde as well as expanding Frankenstein's Monster to a whole species of Zombies called skaab and recognized returning tropes of multiple sources with individual cards e. g. creepy dolls, cellar doors, spiders etc.

Fairy tales just have far more iconic ideas that point to a specific single story. Surviving the night and armies of Zombies don't point to a single story anymore, but royal amphibians are more unique. I bet we'll get more "lost in the woods" and "generic huntsman/woodcutter" stuff that multiple fairy tales have in common, but the most remembered fairy tales invented that one thing that's really memorable and not featuring also leads to complaints (RE: "No Hercules?").

So I expect both an Equipment named Glass Slipper as well as generic "talking animal A" as good options.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Necrofish wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Second known will very likely be Kasmina or second twin. Or they throw a curveball and take out Garruk :P
Let's see if it gives us Modern playable faeries then. They did give is faerie seer and reprinted faerie miscreant in recent sets, so they seem to be setting up things. :)

I'm really excited for this. It feels like another fairy tale inspired block like Lorwyn-Shadowmoor.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Necrofish wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Let's see if it gives us Modern playable faeries then. They did give is faerie seer and reprinted faerie miscreant in recent sets, so they seem to be setting up things. :)

I'm really excited for this. It feels like another fairy tale inspired block like Lorwyn-Shadowmoor.
It's based specifically on Brother's Grimm, H.C. Andersen, and Arthurian Myth. The art that has been revealed so far are references to all three, I would not be surprised to see a few references to A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest either.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks, I guess they would import a mix of some stories into mtg to make something fresh.

although the preview art I saw, the girl wearing green clothes and there's a bit of blood. I thought at first she was a kithkin? Then after seen the blood, it reminded me of the horror movie with the killer doll Chucky. :omg:

CubJay

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
thanks, I guess they would import a mix of some stories into mtg to make something fresh.

although the preview art I saw, the girl wearing green clothes and there's a bit of blood. I thought at first she was a kithkin? Then after seen the blood, it reminded me of the horror movie with the killer doll Chucky. :omg:
In Eldraine we get to see the bears' perspective. We warn our cubs to lock up the house and not talk to strangers or else they'll be murderered by Goldilocks: the Flaxen Intruder.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

poor bears. That's one brutal goldilocks. :omg:

Highholder

Post by Highholder » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Things I expect/want/hope for:

1. More Sagas
2. Playable, powerful, and good Unicorns with a Unicorn lord.
3. Devotion returns? There's simply way too many interesting mana symbols in standard to not do it.
4. Fairy, Knight, and Wizard tribal themes
5. Monarch in Standard?
6. Witches, curses, and a way to make such a strategy viable in Commander
Absolutely no to monarch in standard. The only thing that balances it is facing multiple opponents. Otherwise it's usually a free phyrexian arena with no life loss.
The fact that monarch is legal in 1vs1 commander is also beyond dumb.

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

I would love to See white knights with heroic is a mechanic
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I hope there would be a puss in boots reference, then they print another good cat creature at 2 or 3 cmc. Hoping for more support on cat tribal. ^___^

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”