[RPG] Adventures in Zendikar (play-by-post)

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Goreteg pulls one of the torches off the wall and peers down the two passages. He takes a sniff, but all he can smell is dampness and decay. He runs one hand along the wall, but hewn stone is harder for him to speak with, as if the privilege of being carved by chisel and hands makes it more aloof. With a deep sigh, and with his lips curling back in disgust, Goreteg reaches into his pack for his last resort: reading.

Minotaurs are not big on formal education, so while Goreteg knows various minotaur dialects from his time traversing Ondu, he is not a fast reader. Fortunately, this Scrawled Journal was written by a minotaur, so it is in large script and heavy on phonetical spellings, and Goreteg is able to make his way through it slowly. There is nothing about which direction he should go, but one line stands out: Keep to the light. Very well. Goreteg holds the torch before him and sets off down the left passage.

Halo of Torchlight 1R
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has first strike and gets +2/+0 for each Aura and Equipment attached to it.
When venturing into darkness, it is wise to bring plenty of light.
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=5): Food, Treasure, Extravagant Horns (equipped), Scrawled Journal.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Yet further questions
Show
Hide
Do I apply -1/-1 counter on my p/t, or my HP/STR? And does the counter stack with damage (therefore giving me 9 HP in total), or does it just reduce the HP maximum (leaving me at 10 HP)? And how those the tapping of artifact works, actually?
——

Flavour — 2,5; It is workable, just bland. After all Goreteg's previous stunts it feels too mundane for him.
Design — 2; First strike works as an increased field of vision, the Auras and Equipment feel somewhat sewn forcibly. It plays into red's Dominariasubtheme of Equipment and Auras, which while not that new, is not something done on set basis.
Development - 2; Somewhat pushed, compared to other options avaible in red, even recent one like Aspect of Manticore or Dragon Grip. If it did only count auras, then it would be more amendable, but then it would not be a red card to be honest. And counting only equipment would make this underpowered, so it is in strange position. Making it gruul or with CMC 3 seems as the most obvious fix.
Bonus +2 for the Scrawled Journal.
Luck — 4 (3+1)
Total: 12,5

——

The situation was dire, no doubt. While Illenen suspected the coming need to defend himself, he did not expected a spellcaster. A sudden barrage of hexes and acidic blasts give him a pause and if he wished to survive, he needed to press back. A painful - but thankfully not debilitating - burnings on his shield-arm were the proof for that.

But the knight still had something to say in this fight. During the old days of his knightly order, he was renowned among his peers for his astounding spatial awarness and impressive maneuverability, both on foot and on mount. Fighting in the ruins, changing the direction of charge and using cover to get safely at sword's lenght toward mages and archers came to Illenen as naturally as breathing. Coupled with an extensive training on preserving energy in combat situations, this ability allowed the knight to turnabout many skirmishes during the simpler, ruin-delving days.

He dashed toward the nearby broken pillar, still keeping his shield raised. The aggressor still tried to hit him with a bolt of energy, but the cover of ancient stone did not allow any harm to be done. Illenen kept running between the stony remnants of old glory, getting closer to the source of danger. While instinctively maneuvering between the debris, he thought about the attacker. Based on the spells applied it was possibly a Warlock of sorts, maybe a Shaman. But if anything, the corroding strike was pointing towards someone tied to the bogs of Zendikar.
Vampires.

Illenen could not be sure about this and he understood that such guessingwork might be very misleading, but he had to work on those assumptions at the moment. The knight, feeling it is the right time to strike, tries to flank - hopefully - not thinking fast enough mage. Based on what he will percieve, he will either go with momentum against another target, or he will try to dissapear among the debris, avoiding further unprepared encounters.

Disorienting Maneuver
Sorcery (U)
This spell has flash as long as you control an attacking or blocking creature.
Tap target creature. It loses all abilities until end of turn. Scry 1.
Mage tried to get hold on both his spell and enemy's position. He succeded only at getting knocked out.

——

So, since we are already branching the stroy, if Illenen does not die horribly from another botched tactis, could he, instead of getting right into main ruins, try to stalk out other figures similiar to attacker and - depending on their numbers and position - attempt a guerilla on them? There is definitly something off about them. The ruins are possibly dangerous, while those are dangerous without doubt and the conscience of knight demands him to stand up to the threat.
Character
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
  • Illenen gets +1/+1 and gains first strike until end of turn.
0/2
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: -1/-1 counter
HP: 9/12
STR: 0/5 (0+5)
INV: Treasure (0)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

3 years ago
Do I apply -1/-1 counter on my p/t, or my HP/STR? And does the counter stack with damage (therefore giving me 9 HP in total), or does it just reduce the HP maximum (leaving me at 10 HP)? And how those the tapping of artifact works, actually?
Applying to p/t vs HP/STR should be equivalent (since HP/STR is based off of a constant plus your p/t). -1/-1 counters are intended to roughly correspond to negative levels in D&D, which do affect both max and current hit points - you'll have 9 HP total (or equivalently, you're a creature with 12 toughness and 3 damage marked on you).
The artifact needing to tap just means you can only use it once per turn / action. (obligatory 'assuming you don't have a way to untap it' disclaimer) May also be relevant if there are ever things which allow you to tap other items as a cost (ex: casting a spell with convoke / improvise).
....I think I forgot to add that clause to Treasure and Clue tokens, so retroactively adding that. Wasn't super relevant because they already needed to sacrifice to activate, but might as well patch it now.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor - 3
Definitely feels like a plausible first move if you're going for some sort of surprise attack.
Design - 3
Could fit into either hybrid color, and although this is a series of "small" effects it can be very useful in combat.
Development - 2.5
Might be trying to do too much? Still, it's uncommon, and certainly not at rare levels of complexity.
Luck - 6
4 + 2
Bonus - 1
I would say this is use of past experience.
Total: 15.5

Lurgyan, satisfied to again pick something nice up off someone dead - someone who he didn't even have to go through the trouble of killing! - takes stock of the area. He seems to have a fairly simple choice between exactly two paths. It feels arbitrary - or at least almost so... Lurgyan's always been a bit of a completionist and hates to leave a stone unturned. And the gods underground are always willing to encourage a treasure hunt. Lurgyan listens to his instincts and the divine voices beneath his feet and goes for the right-hand path. Taking a torch from the wall just in case, he reasons he can turn back and go further into the ruins on the left once he's done in this right-side room... rooms like this have a tantalizing tendency to be treasuries, and Lurgyan just knows that no matter what he finds here, whether it be something to fill his pockets with or something whose blood he can spill, he'll be satisfied.

Lust for Riches XB
Sorcery (R)
Target player mills X cards. Create a Treasure token for each artifact and land card milled in this way. Each opponent loses 1 life for each creature and planeswalker card milled in this way. You gain 1 life for each enchantment, instant, and sorcery card milled in this way.
"That's the beauty of scouring these ruins - the harder you look, the more there will be to find."

N.B. You can assume Lurgyan cast this with X=2.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
Lurgyan, Hazard Priest 1BG
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Pay 1 life: Target attacking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
"Don't run from this land's acrimony."
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (3 available)

Items:
Clue x 2
Treasure x 1

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Checks you make involving other Clerics have a +2 bonus.
Mystery effect
Equip 2

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
Not quite lucky enough for its former owner.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Applying to p/t vs HP/STR should be equivalent (since HP/STR is based off of a constant plus your p/t). -1/-1 counters are intended to roughly correspond to negative levels in D&D, which do affect both max and current hit points - you'll have 9 HP total (or equivalently, you're a creature with 12 toughness and 3 damage marked on you).
The question whether -1/-1 counter goes directly to p/t is due to the fact, that during card creation we are assumed to have our creature card with us and we can make effects caring about theirs p/t, like fight for instance. Also I wonder if we can control a character with, for instance, 2 toughness and two -1/-1 counters put on them.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

void_nothing
Flavor - 3 Definitely shows Lurgyan's greed. Milling is a nice touch to show that you're going underground.
Design - 3 Definitely the kind of card you'd see in black, getting rewards for milling opponents is usually creature tokens, but treasure and life loss/gain fits fine.
Development - 2 I think this is trying to encompass too many types? I think this could lose working on artifacts. And considering Deathrite Shaman this should probably have its creature and instant effects swapped.
Luck - 3 (1+2)
Bonus - 1 Definitely feels like Lurgyan is a serial spelunker.
Total: 12

A searing pain hit Gumuz, as if his back had been turned to stone and then ripped out of him. Falling to his knees, he gritted his teeth. Another shade? No that's impossible. Gumuz's sight may be poor, but he knew fully well it was still daylight. He turned to face his attacker, and found a tall humanoid staring him down. Definitely not a shade, then. The cold on his back was fading far too slowly for Gumuz's liking, and he could feel his strength had been sapped somewhat. Leeching magic like that was hard to come by, unless you were a very specific type of creature. Gumuz couldn't be entirely certain, but he was sure he had come face to face with a vampire.

"What do you want?" Gumuz barked at the bloodsucker, "If you wanted to kill me, you could have."

"There are more pressing things than ending your miserable life, Goblin." the cloaked being hissed, "Consider it a warning, to you and to your masters. What lies inside those ruins is claimed by another."

Interesting. So the ruins did hold an object of power. "You know of my masters?"

"A cohort of fools, hiding in the depths playing god. Trying to put a yoke on Zendikar itself, as if this world that shook off Eldrazi would obey like a stray mutt. They will use you up and still they will be no closer to their goal."

How dare leech belittle Gumuz's overlords. He had been among them, witnessed their true power first hand. They were smarter, stronger, more ruthless than anyone he had ever known, including Eldrazi. He couldn't help but chuckle, however. He knew what their plan was, at least enough of it to know it was working. But Gumuz too needed to keep up appearances, play the fool, defend his masters' reputations. He wasn't strong enough for a full on fight against a vampire, not yet anyway.

"You use big words," Gumuz muttered, channeling mana through him. The heat of the earth flowed into his body, dispelling the cold from his back. It felt wonderful, "but you insulting my masters doesn't make me want to leave. In fact, it makes me want to do THIS!" Slamming his fists onto the ground, Gumuz poured his mana into the earth, calling it forth. The stone between the vampire and him split wide open, the rift expanding as sprays of magma gushed out towards his enemy, who seemed to begin weaving a spell of his own in response. Not that that mattered. It wasn't an attack, but a distraction. Dashing through the lava, Gumuz beelined towards the ruin's entrance, making sure to get inside before his adversary.

Drown in Magma 1R
Instant (C)
Drown in Magma deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. A creature dealt damage this way can't block this turn.
Life-threatening scenarios make for perfect distractions.

Sheet
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Gumuz of the Dark-Dwellers 1BR
Legendary Creature — Goblin Warlock (R)
Menace
Whenever Gumuz of the Dark-Dweller attacks, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn. At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played it, put it into your hand and you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.
Searching for power unbridled on behalf of forces unseen.
3/2
Current HP: 9/12
STRENGTH: 8 (3+5)
Inventory: Food

Mookie

SPOILER
Show
Hide
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
The question whether -1/-1 counter goes directly to p/t is due to the fact, that during card creation we are assumed to have our creature card with us and we can make effects caring about theirs p/t, like fight for instance. Also I wonder if we can control a character with, for instance, 2 toughness and two -1/-1 counters put on them.
Ah, good catch. Yeah, as a counter it should be applied to P/T, so it would also reduce the stats of your creature card. Going off D&D logic, if you have a number of negative levels equal to your character level, your character will die even if they somehow have hit points remaining, so.... yeah. Will strongly recommend avoiding having your toughness reduced to zero.
...that also means that this effect ended up being a bit nastier than initially intended, so let's say that this instance is a temporary drain and not a permanent one - it will go away after three turns / actions. I'll keep the severity of this affliction in mind for future instances.

Incredium

Post by Incredium » 3 years ago

Flavor: 2.5 points - Didn't really take him for a user of elemental magic but hey, it's definitely not unheard of for goblins to use fire magic. Plus flavorfully it makes sense for a warlock to throw fire and lava so yeah, it works.
Design 2 points - The name is kind of misleading, as from your writing it's not really "drowning him in lava" and more "throwing molten pocket sand while I run away." I don't feel like it's very accurate to that in that regard, would have liked it if it did less damage and had maybe some bigger side effect.
Development 3 points - other things aside, a solid common, I could see this printed.
Luck - 5 (1+4)
Bonus: 1
Total: 13.5

///

(NOTE: I've elected to call the little constructs Gamwatt keeps hedromites, just cause calling them constructs over and over got tiring.)

Gamwatt glanced at the two choices he was presented with. This wasn't his first bout ruin delving, so he was familiar with some of the patterns in the construction of these kinds of structures. There were several options for the room on the right. If the structure was religious in nature or functioned as a tomb of some sort it could possibly be a small shrine room or memorial. In that case, it could hold vital information on the nature of what he was dealing with. On the other hand, if this place contained something of value to be contained, it wasn't uncommon for architects to create a kind of "bait room" with seemingly easy loot rigged with simple traps near the entrance. This was intended to cull would be delvers early on with easy to maintain traps and place less stress on the more complex ones that laid further inside. Alternatively, an empty room would often be left near the entrance purely for encouraging airflow, or as a remnant of where workers had stayed while they had been building the structure. If it was a workers quarters, the fact that it hadn't been sealed up meant that this place was probably constructed hastily for some reason, with attention to aesthetics being overlooked in favor or speed before the place was originally sealed. With all this considered, he decided that the allure of possible information was too much to pass up. Plus, as a general rule, the guy who chooses to run headfirst down the dark corridor usually doesn't live that long, and he didn't feel like being that guy today.

The chamber was dark, as the torches inside had long been burnt out. Gamwatt reaches inside his cloak as a hedromite deposited a torch in his hand. Upon lighting it, the first thing that he payed attention to was the mural on the far wall. its contents were somewhat faded with time. Getting any closer to look meant possibly triggering a trap.With the wide open layout of most of the room, the most probable trap here was a rigged pressure plate or possible tripwire. He didn't see any warding runes he recognized, though with how old this place was that didn't quite mean much. He didn't recognize any of the writing here. The engravings on the wall reminded him of Kor but were so grammatically different as to be untranslatable.

He supposed it was time to check for traps, and the reason he was paid well was that he was known for being thorough. Gamwatt pulled back one side of his cloak as five hedromites scurried out and into the ground toward the room. Eerie clicking noises could be heard as they began quickly sensing around the room through vibrations for any possible traps or abnormalities in the room, their lightweight bodies making them ideal for interacting without triggering pressure plates.

Hedromite Trapfinding uu
Enchantment - Rare

Whenever an opponent casts a spell on your turn, create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token, then counter that spell if it is a trap spell or if it's converted mana cost is less than the number of construct tokens you control.

Many eyes make for quick searching.
Character Sheet - Gamwatt
Show
Hide
Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary 1ub
Legendary Artifact Creature - Rogue (R)
Flash
Whenever Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary deals combat damage to a player, that player mills that many cards. For each creature or artifact card milled this way, create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token.
"You guys really should have reconsidered giving an experimental hedron based construct sentience. Honestly, anything weird I do from here on out is pretty much your fault."
2/4

HP: 14/14
Strength: 7
Inventory: Treasure (1)
Restorative Amulet
Show
Hide
Protective Amulet ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Equipped creature heals 1 additional point of health each round.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

@Incredium

Flavor: 3 - On point! Though interacting with spells cast on your turn is typically a green or white ability, this is in pie for blue as is.
Design: 2 - A bit narrow, but good at what it does.
Development: 2 - Explicitly using "less than" instead of "less than or equal to" makes it a bit too weak compared to an effect such as Eyes of the Wisent.
Luck: 6 - {4} + {2}
Bonus: +1 - Fulfilled.
Total: 14

Not only did Ivan raise his guard, his right hand above his sheathed sword, Sky did, as well. The lightly-armored prowler stepped between the cloaked figure and growled loudly, revealing powerful jaws and sharp teeth that could tear apart an unarmored human easily. He first wondered why Sky was this much on edge, then recalled the ruins of a camp he had passed earlier. Zendikar was a place where it was impossible to be too careful.

"Sky and I have my own journey," Ivan raised his voice toward the cloaked figure; his voice was firm but otherwise calm. "Leave us be, and we shall act in kind." He stepped to one side and rest his hand in Sky's saddle, ready to fling himself aboard if the situation escalated. While Ivan did not want to cause any unnecessary bloodshed, Sky had a swift paw or two ready to maul down the unwelcome figure if they tried to strike first...and the Silverpaw Lions were known for outrunning even the fastest horses.

Glorious Pounce 1GW
Instant {U}
Prevent all damage that would be dealt this turn to target creature you control. Then it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
The gleam of a lion's mane in the sun can make a Silverpaw knight feel invincible.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 10/12
STR: 7
Inv: Clue (1)
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Incredium

@RaikouRider there was a +1 bonus point oppurtunity on the challenge on the condition that I used previous delving knowledge Gamwatt had in my submission. Don't want to be a stickler but the scores seem pretty close together this round ;)

Also appreciate the feedback!

Mookie

@RaikouRider:
Flavor: 3 - it's not a sneak attack, it's winning initiative!
Design: 2 - an interesting mix of abilities. The interaction between the two makes me wish the two were separated slightly (via fuse / entwine / kicker), since it's a bit overcomplicated compared to just doing a one-sided fight spell. The damage prevention is certainly relevant, but it reminds me of a hypothetical 'deathtouch + fight' spell that is usually held as an example of something green doesn't have access to.
Development: 3 - this looks strong but fair.
Luck: 6 (2+4)
Bonus: 0
Total: 14

Outcomes and challenges:
Awkwardly, looks like I messed up in my attack descriptions - the intent was for the attackers to be a bunch of clerics (specifically, kor) wielding death magic... but energy drain usually points to vampires, which people picked up on instead. Yaaaay plot holes. Anyway, I'll be using whatever bonus points were awarded by the graders.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Goreteg makes his way down the hallway, but nothing of note occurs here. Torches lining the walls flicker softly, but this entryway looks to be rather nondescript otherwise. In some ruins, there are elaborate entrances covered in mosaics or ancient runes, but this hallway looks to be purely functional. After traveling down the hallway a bit, Goreteg makes a right turn and continues advancing, eventually reaching what appears to be a small vestibule. This room appears to be the actual entrance area for the ruins - it has some ancient carvings decorating the walls, although it is difficult to make out the exact meaning of the figures. The room itself is otherwise empty.

Looking around the room, there are three apertures of note: a wooden door to the left, a stone door straight ahead, and an archway to the right which appears to lead to a closet. It looks like more exploration is necessary.

Challenge: Explore the ruins!
Restriction: none!
Bonus: +1 point if you can appropriately make use of prior ruin-delving experience.
(note: you are currently inside the ruins, at location '10')
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Illenen's flanking tactics are successful, and he is able to strike down the cloaked figure successfully (your choice on whether they are dead or merely unconscious). Pulling back the figure's hood, it appears that the attacker was, in fact, a Kor. Looking over them further, it appears that their skin has been covered in black grease evoking the image of hedrons. The designs appear to be too intricate for the Kor to have applied to themselves - they must have had assistance in applying it, suggesting they are part of an order of Clerics.

Searching the body for anything of use, Illenen finds a Scribbled Note that appears to be addressed to the Kor, containing instructions and a schedule for him to keep watch. You suspect you can make use of this to help avoid or ambush his associates. Add Scribbled Note to your inventory.
Scribbled Note
Show
Hide
Scribbled Note ()
Artifact
, , put a page counter on Scribbled Note: add +1 to a check involving another member of this cleric's order. If three or more page counters are on Scribbled Note, sacrifice it.
You believe you can vaguely hear some commotion nearby, perhaps between another adventurer and another cleric. You decide to spend some time dealing with any other patrolling clerics before heading into the ruins.

Challenge: Deal with the other clerics
Restriction: None
Bonus: If you can find another adventurer (player) to team up with outside, both of you will get +2 on your checks this round.
(note: you are currently outside the ruins)
void_nothing
Show
Hide
As Lurgyan makes his way down the hallway, he notices a few oddly-colored tiles on the floor and nimbly steps over them - it's not clear whether or not they were a trap, but better safe than sorry.

Entering the room, it appears to be a modestly-sized vestibule. The walls are covered in what appears to have once been an elaborate mural, but it has faded with time. The room is otherwise disappointingly empty.... except for one significant feature: a massive and sturdy-looking wooden door. Lurgyan attempts to open it, but it appears to be tightly locked. That's usually a good sign - if it's worth locking, then there must be something worth protecting on the other side.

Challenge: bypass the door!
Restriction: no 'destroy' effects - you don't want to accidentally damage whatever is on the other side.
Bonus: +1 if you describe your methodology to not be affected by any traps (not that this door is trapped, of course. that would be silly)
(note: you are currently inside the ruins, at location 22)
Subject16
Show
Hide
Gumuz dashes away successfully, leaving his attacker behind - a stray bolt of dark magic misses by a wide margin, and as he looks over his shoulder he can see the vampire frantically trying to take off its cloak, which appears to have caught on fire a bit.

Dashing into the ruins, Gumuz is immediately struck by a choice as the hallway branches to the left and right. The hallway is lit by bright torches, and it appears that the right path leads to a room of some sort, while the left path turns a corner and then goes deeper inside.

Challenge: explore the ruins!
Restriction: must be something that can be done at instant speed, since you don't want the vampire to catch up to you
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior dungeon delving experience
(note: you are currently at location 'c')
Incredium
Show
Hide
Making his way down the hallway, several hedromites are able to identify a trap embedded in the floor, which Gamwatt avoids without too much concern, advancing into the room. Checking over the room, Gamwatt is able to identify that there are no traps... or at least no additional ones that the hedromites are able to detect. The elaborate mural appears to be purely decorative - no runes or gemstones are present in the art, leaving only a faded and rather difficult to parse image.

After checking out the mural, the next feature of the room that becomes apparent is a large and sturdy-looking wooden door on the opposite side of the room. A few hedromites investigate it, but it appears to be tightly locked. Perhaps treasure is on the other side?
Challenge: bypass the door!
Restriction: no 'destroy' effects - you don't want to accidentally damage whatever is on the other side.
Bonus: +1 if you describe your methodology to not be affected by any traps (not that this door is trapped, of course. that would be silly)
(note: you are currently inside the ruins, at location 22)
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Ivan's intimidation is successful - it appears that while the cloaked figure may have been more aggressive if Ivan were alone, they do not seem as confident fighting both Ivan and Sky at the same time.
"Fine then. Travel on your own pilgrimage. But I suspect our paths will intertwine yet again...."
With that, they leave, leaving the knight and his companion alone at the entrance to the ruins. Sharing a glance with one another, the pair advance into the ruins. After a short entryway lined with torches, the path branches to the left and right. It appears that a few of the torches are missing, but the entrance is still rather bright. It appears that the right path leads to a room of some sort, while the left path turns a corner and then goes deeper inside. It does appear that the left path is a bit brighter - perhaps the torches down that path were rekindled more recently.

Restriction: none
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior dungeon delving experience
Other stuff:
In the interest of giving people a bit of determinism re: loot, you may also submit a Common and Uncommon piece of loot, which I'll be using to construct a Loot Table. I won't set exact criteria for what those mean, but the rarer an item is, the harder it will be to acquire. You won't necessarily be guaranteed to get the item you submit, but there may be opportunities to trade loot with other players at some point in time. Obligatory 'please nothing broken' clause.

Otherwise, next update planned for 10/19.

RaikouRider

I'm not in a place to write a post right now but I want to get some ideas for items out for you. I think I worded this correctly? Feel free to change some numbers for balancing purposes.
Chalice of Plenty
Show
Hide
Chalice of Plenty 1
Artifact {C}
Sacrifice Chalice of Plenty: This turn, you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color.
Silverpaw Signet
Show
Hide
Silverpaw Signet 2
Artifact {U}
At the beginning of each of your turns, add one mana of any color in your character's color identity. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell.

slimytrout

Goreteg looks through the journal again to see if it has any guidance, but finds only one item of any use: Stick to what you know. Goreteg considers this for a moment, and then walks over to the stone door. He is about to push it open, when suddenly he remembers that time in Agadeem when he opened the door and found himself paralyzed for the better part of a day. Better to think of a more unorthodox approach. He pushes his hands into the center of the door, and pulls it apart as if it were made of hanging vines. He opens a space wide enough to fit through, and climbs in, his stone horns leading the way.

Stoneshape RG
Sorcery (C)
You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield. Creatures with power less than the number of lands you control can't block this turn.
The general thought that setting up camp between two cliff walls was the perfect protection from ambush. She couldn't have been more wrong.

(Since we're crossing the streams anyway... ;) )

Item suggestions:
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism1
Artifact (C)
2, T: Add one mana of any color.
Summoner's Staff
Show
Hide
Summoner's Staff2
Artifact (U)
Creature spells cast 1 less to cast.
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=5): Food, Treasure, Extravagant Horns (equipped), Scrawled Journal.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout
Flavour - 3; A good one, no doubt.
Design - 3; Both clean and fresh, with combining two effects from colors in elegant manner. I also like how it plays with Goreteg himself.
Development - 2,5; Might be staple in many RGx midrange decks, either as an early ramp or middle-game mass evasion. That said, as Wild Nacatl shows that commons have rights to be strong on occasion. The only concern is whether it should contain "enters tapped" clause.
Bonus +1; That touch about previous encounter with traps was a nice detail.
Bonus +2; Scrawled Journal
Luck: 3 (1+2)
Total: 14,5
——

Kor cleric? Could it mean that the wounded Kor was a lure? The hedron skin-paintings were baffling as well. The hedrons were used to combat eldrazi during the war. Why a member of an order that sought to protect the alleged monstrosity in the ruins would cover themselves in such repulsive for their master pattern? Or maybe they were not an Eldrazi worshippers, but aspiring binders?

Thankfully, the Kor was alone, which allowed a moment to plan future moves. Illenen took a small note from laying body and checked the pulse. Gone. There where a sounds of a stir nearby, where the entrance to inner ruins was placed. Possibly another cultists. If the knight was going to defeat them, he will need a good plan, not blind rushing into action.

Hiding both himself and the dead body behind the ruins, Illenen started to read the Scribbled Note. He did not end the lecture yet, but from the few lines he get a better understanding of both numbers and patrol routes among those clerics. Those were not optimistic, especially the numbers among their ranks. It was not impossible for him to succed alone in the task of taking the order down, but it was close to definition of "impossible". A help would be appreciated.

Illenen reminded himself of the commotion he had heard before. While the stir died a while ago, it could indicate a presence of other adventurers. Knight had no way of communicating with them, however. Or did he...?

Among the trinkets he carried from the last venture was a true Treasure, ornamental war horn, made from baloth horn. Many knight orders used such instruments to communicate at long distances, even with other orders. This horn had an unpleasant crack that could lead to shattering in case of usage, but in this dire situation it was worth the try. While the bellow will be heard across the ruins, if the instrument was crafted properly, it might be hard for an untrained ear to distinguish it from the natural phenomenons. After checking the notes for cultists' expected places and confirming that no foe is near, Illenen starts to blow the horn.

Distress Call
Instant (U)
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof until end of turn. Untap all other creatures you control that share a type with it.
A horn blows, a duty and honour beckons.

Not willing to waste any second, Illenen return to analyzing the notes. He has to make a plan, whether someone will come to aid or not...
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
0/2
HP: 10/12
STR: 1/5 (0+5)
INV:
Scribbled Note
Show
Hide
Scribbled Note ()
Artifact
, , put a page counter on Scribbled Note: add +1 to a check involving another member of this cleric's order. If three or more page counters are on Scribbled Note, sacrifice it.
{1/3}
——
Loot (C)
Show
Hide
Tower Shield
Artifact — Equipment (C)
Whenever equipped player is dealt damage, prevent 1 of that damage.
Equip
Loot (U)
Show
Hide
Lucky Hedron Chunk
Artifact (U)
, , sacrifice Lucky Hedron Chunk: Roll this turn 2d6 instead of 2d4 (You score critical success after rolling 12.)
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

slimytrout

@Lorn Asbord Schutta Sorry, I forgot to bold the Scrawled Journal, but I did mean to use it and it does give me +2 to any check involving exploring the ruins (see below).
Scrawled Journal
Show
Hide
Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

RaikouRider

@Lorn Asbord Schutta

Flavor (3) - Definitely a call for the help of one's kin.
Design (3) - Mixes these abilities in a way that's never been done on a card before. I like the detail that it doesn't untap the targeted creature itself.
Development (3) - I tried hard to find a nitpick with this because I don't like giving perfect scores. I just couldn't find one. All of its component cards suggest uncommon is the correct rarity.
Bonus (+2) - Definitely could recruit other players to the character's aid.
Bonus (+1) - Scribbled Note
Luck (4) - {1} + {3}
Total: 16

The Silverpaw Knights' duties almost exclusively were wilderness-related, to take advantage of their companions' size and speed. It would be a lie to say Ivan was in his comfort zone going inside the ruins. Sky's fur at least made him easy to see in low-light conditions, but the whites of Ivan's outfit made him much less visible. While the grand hall was tall enough to let him travel aboard the feline, the rest of the ruins certainly would not be, and would leave him a bit more vulnerable than he was used to.

The two stayed close, Ivan looking left and right to see if he could make out any objects in either of the rooms. Sky started sniffing, eventually picking up and following a scent toward the right side. Ivan peered into the near-darkness, only able to see there was a room of some kind there. Slowly unsheathing his sword just in case a nasty was waiting around the corner, he let his companion enter the room fitst, then stood back at the majestic creature's side as soon as space allowed.

Quarry Trailing 1G
Sorcery {C}
Kicker 4 (You may pay an additional 4 as you cast this spell.)
Reveal the top five cards of your library. You may put a creature card from among them into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. If this spell was kicked, you may instead put any number of creature cards revealed this way into your hand.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 11/12
STR: 7
Inv: Clue (1)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

RaikouRider
Flavor - 3
This is clearly a "see if there's a living thing around" effect.
Design - 3
Just a really neat use of kicker!
Development - 2.5
Being able to potentially draw five cards off this means I feel like it should be uncommon instead of common.
Luck - 3
2 + 1
Bonus - 1
Works for me.
Total: 12.5

Lurgyan leans further on supernatural help after considering that just using the kind of spell that would simply destroy the door - and since it's only wood, that wouldn't be all that difficult - would both risk a possible piece of loot and attract... potentially unwanted attention. He calls upon the subterranean gods and uses their divine magic to first dispel any arcane traps into magic of primeval wisdom, and then carefully transmute the door itself into a pile of fertile humus.

Leave for the Loam BG
Instant (U)
Choose one or both -
• Exile target artifact. Its controller draws a card.
• Exile target enchantment. Its controller draws a card.
The yielding soil remembers every work of artifice and magecraft that it turned to nothingness by the weight of time.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (3 available)

Items:
Clue x 2
Treasure x 1

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Mystery effect
Equip 2

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Loot:
Common
Show
Hide
Juju Hourglass 1
Artifact - Equipment (C)
Equipped creature may get -1 to a check at any time. When they do, they get +1 to their next check.
Equip 1
Uncommon
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales 3
Artifact (U)
1, T: You gain 1 life.
2: Target spell or permanent gains lifelink until end of turn.
3, T: Sacrifice Sanguine Scales: It deals 3 damage to any target.

Subject16

void_nothing
Flavor 3 - It's a nice way to convey the unraveling of traps and the door with each more. Shame this doesn't do anything with the Trap subtype though.
Design 3 - Like Hull Breach but with card draw.
Development 2 - I know it's a part of the restriction, but golgari doesn't really exile anything except from graveyards, this feels more Selesnya to me. I think this would have been more fitting as a sacrifice effect?
Luck - 5 (4+1)
Bonus - +1
Total: 15

As Gumuz made his way into the ruins, he immediately came across a dank hallway splitting off in two directions. A cool breeze brushed against his skin from the left side, signalling that was the path that led deeped into the ruins. He could feel someone else down the corridor on the right. Another explorer, no doubt, too busy lusting after riches to see the true goal ahead. Fools. Those people might be satisfied with trinkets and baubles to sate them, but Gumuz knew something far more powerful than simple talismans lay below, something he would claim for himself. He would run ahead and feast on the true treasure of these ruins whilst everyone else competes over scraps. And if his pursuer finds himself bumping into someone else, then that's a win-win for Gumuz all the same.

For a moment, he pondered on whether to trick the vampire into going right somehow. Leave tracks, or a faint trace of magic? No, better to simply outrun it and delve deep into the ruins. Time, and speed, was of the essence. Channeling mana into his conduit, he wove a spell of his goblin kin, a spell of the Lavastep tribe, used to outrun the eruptions and lava flows of nearby Valakut. Infusing his body with the same explosive potential as a bursting volcano, Gumuz dashed down the left corridor, each step pushing off the stone floor with tremendous force. With this, he'll have a hefty lead over anyone else that seeks the treasure his masters desire.

Volcanic Charge 1R
Instant (C)
Target creature gets +3/+0 and gains trample and haste until end of turn.
"If you wanna outrun a volcano, be the volcano."
—Roga, Lavastep Guide

Sheet
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Menace
Whenever Gumuz of the Dark-Dweller attacks, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn. At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played it, put it into your hand and you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.
3/2
Current HP: 9/12
Inventory: Food

Loot time!
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman 1
Artifact (C)
If you would gain life, you gain that much life plus one instead.
Sacrifice Emeria Talisman: Until end of turn, you may spend mana of any type as though it were white mana.

Ideally this would be a cycle of talismans, with an uncommon one for mana of any color.
Runic Conduit
Show
Hide
Runic Conduit 2
Artifact — Equipment (U)
Spells you cast that target equipped creature cost 2 less to cast.
Equip 2

Incredium

Flavor: 3 He's doing the Charizard side special move. Noice
Design: 2.5 makes sense as him dashing ahead, but would have liked to see some evasion in there somewhere.
Development: 3 I do like me some solid commons.
Luck: 3
(1-2) well rip
Total: 11.5

Approaching the door, Gamwatt put ran his hands over it's frame. There was a strange metal lock with several small buttons kn it, probably for some kind of combination code. It was no doubt trapped. No self respecting dungeon maker put locks on doors without trapping them. That was also exactly why he was paid so much. Locks meant next to nothing to him. See, this lock, like many other things, was a bit like him. People always made their little magic contraptions and metal traps with little regard for what they were: a brain without the ability to know itself. It was hard to explain really, but as he felt across the door, the it was like he could feel the inner mechanisms breathing. The difference between Gamwatt and others was that he knew how to make its breath become real.

Gamwatt placed his hand over the lock and began concentrating. It was a gift of his that allowed him to create the hedromites that had become his staple tool; the ability to make a machine come alive. They weren't the only things that he could do this to. Perhaps not permanently, perhaps not for very long at all, but with enough concentration and enough patience, the secrets of a contraptions inner soul would come to him. A light blue glow emanated from his palm as he worked his fingers over the lock. His mind poured into the shaped metal, and just for moment, he felt a flicker of life flutter inside the small contraption. His consciousness nudged the small light within into each facet of the doors inner working, which he could now feel we're layered with springs and tunes to ignite some form of trap. With an unsettling creak the door undulated and bucked with life. Springs and runic triggers recoiled like spasming muscle, and with a click, the lock fell to the floor and the door flipped open as the light of life quickly faded to inanimacy once again. It didn't matter what kind of runes or traps this place could lay out for him. There was no contingency plan for a lock choosing to open itself.

Biometal Bypass 1u
Sorcery (u)

Choose one:
  • Gain control of target wall.
  • Target creature is unblockable until end of turn.
"Did you try asking him nicely if he'll let us through? You'll be surprised how far manners will get you in life."
"Sir, that is a door."

///

As the guy with the artifact dude I feel obligated to contribute to the loot train. I kinda went nuts on this one just a heads up.
Manableed Ring
Show
Hide
Manableed Ring2
Artifact - Equipment (R)

Equipped creature gets +1/+0

Whenever equipped creature scores 15 or higher on a check, put a bleed counter on manableed ring.

Remove a bleed counter from manableed ring: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. You lose 1 life.
Equip 1
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield2
Artifact - Equipment (u)

Equipped creature gets +0/+1

Sacrifice Radiant Shield: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature this turn. You get +1 on your next check. Activate this ability after your score for the round has been given, but before the results have been announced.
Mysterious Idols
Show
Hide
Idol of Purity
Show
Hide
Idol of Purity2w
Artifact (u)

Idol of Purity enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.

Whenever you score 11.5 or less on a check, untap Idol of Purity.

t: For the next 2 rounds, you get +3 on all checks to interact socially with another creature or to resist a magical effect.
Idol of Curiosity
Show
Hide
Idol of Curiousity2u
Artifact (u)

Idol of Curiosity enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.

Whenever you score 11.5 or less on a check, untap Idol of Curiousity.

t: For the next 2 rounds, you get +3 on all checks to .
investigate an object, use an item or navigate an area.
Idol of Cruelty
Show
Hide
Idol of Cruelty2b
Artifact (u)

Idol of Cruelty enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.

Whenever you score 11.5 or less on a check, untap Idol of Cruelty.

t: For the next 2 rounds, you get +3 on all checks to act stealthily or to intimidate another creature.
Idol of Ferocity
Show
Hide
Idol of Ferocity2r
Artifact (u)

Idol of Ferocity enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.

Whenever you score 11.5 or less on a check, untap Idol of Ferocity.

t: For the next 2 rounds, you get +3 on all checks involving combat with another creature.
Idol of Vitality
Show
Hide
Idol of Vitality2g
Artifact (u)

Idol of Vitality enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.

Whenever you score 11.5 or less on a check, untap Idol of Vitality.

t: For the next 2 rounds, you get +3 on all checks to navigate a natural area, interact with wildlife or to perform a physical feat.
///
Character Sheet - Gamwatt
Show
Hide
Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary 1ub
Legendary Artifact Creature - Rogue (R)
Flash
Whenever Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary deals combat damage to a player, that player mills that many cards. For each creature or artifact card milled this way, create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token.
"You guys really should have reconsidered giving an experimental hedron based construct sentience. Honestly, anything weird I do from here on out is pretty much your fault."
2/4

HP: 14/14
Strength: 7
Inventory: Treasure (1), Restorative Amulet
Restorative Amulet
Show
Hide
Protective Amulet ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Equipped creature heals 1 additional point of health each round.

Mookie

@Incredium
Flavor: 3 - The flavor text made me laugh.
Design: 1.5 - I love 'gain control of target wall', but the evasion granting feels disconnected.
Development: 2 - it makes more sense from a design perspective to make the effect less niche, but the power level still feels pretty low. I'd sort of favor 'gain control of target creature with defender // target creature can only be blocked by creatures with defender this turn'. I'll also note that 'unblockable' was un-keyworded, so it should be 'can't be blocked'.
Luck: 6 (4+2)
Bonus: +1 - no traps here!
Total: 13.5

Also: only one common and one uncommon loot item, please. I can accept the five Idols as a cycle though if that's the one you want to submit.

Outcomes and Challenges
slimytrout
Show
Hide
With a firm hand, Goreteg pulls the door open - literally. A good choice too - on the opposite side of the door, he sees a glowing crystal attached to the metal handle of the door, which seems to be giving off sparks. Being paralyzed in a dungeon was a novel experience the first time, but not one Goreteg was eager to repeat.

On the opposite side of the door, Goreteg finds the first signs of life in the ruins. He enters a large room littered with tables and boxes, which appear to have been brought in recently. The decorations are rather sparse, but this seems to be some sort of dining area, based on the ancient symbology of... a group of hooded kor sitting around a table eating a meal. They all seem rather distracted at the moment, but Goreteg suspects they will notice him soon, and the won't be happy with his intrusion. He pockets a piece of Food on a table close to the door before advancing.

Challenge: Interact with the kor!
Restriction: Must be a spell capable of affecting multiple creatures.
Bonus: +1 if the spell can be cast during upkeep, before the kor can act.
(note: you are currently in the ruins, at location 16)
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
BWOOOOOOON - the sound of the horn echoes far and wide for many moments until, with a loud crack, the horn breaks - it doesn't appear to be usable again. However, Illenen feels optimistic that another adventure will heed the call. Whether that adventurer is still outside the ruins or if they will meet inside remains to be seen. However, based on how many clerics there are, it seems inevitable that others have already noticed the situation and are nearby. That said, based on how many disabled patrols Illenen has noticed while investigating outside, it seems like several adventurers have already made their way inside, so he decides to advance in hope of meeting up with them.

Soon after entering, Illenen finds a sure sign that others have come this way already - the entryway was initially lined with torches to illuminate the darkness, but multiple torches have been removed. Not enough to plunge to hall into total darkness, but enough to make one tread a bit more carefully. A few more steps in, and the hallway branches to the left and right. It appears that the right path quickly turns back to the left and leads to a room, while the left path turns right and leads deeper inside. However, the left path also appears to be partially blocked by rubble, making it more difficult to traverse.

Restriction: none... but you'll have -2 to your check if you try to attempt to traverse the left path without a good plan.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior ruin-delving experience
Special: if you wind up at the same location as another adventurer, you may be able to team up for a bonus!
(and obviously, as the person that blew the horn, you can't qualify for the bonus below)
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Advancing down the hallway to the right, Ivan enters the room and take a look around. The room itself is somewhat plain - the walls are decorated with an elaborate mural, but it also appears to be extremely faded with age. Other than that, the most notable feature in the room is a massive wooden door, which appears to have been opened recently - Ivan suspects that the scent Sky was following came from whatever creature opened the door. However, it doesn't smell like anything alive - either a mechanical creature or one of the undead. Either way, it's hard to know whether or not it would be friendly.

Fortunately, it doesn't appear that the door is trapped - whatever opened the door made sure of that. With catlike tread, Ivan and Sky peer in the door - it's difficult to make out exactly what is inside, but it appears that the door-opener is still present, and currently investigating the next room. Friend, or foe? It's hard to tell.

Challenge: Interact with the other creature!
Restriction: None.
Bonus: +2 if you know the other creature's name.
(note: you are currently at location 22)
void_nothing
Show
Hide
With a quiet whisper, Lurgyan reminds the door of the crushing passage of time. Left alone, perhaps the door would have been a worthy barrier for a decade... but after a thousand years, pretty much everything turns to dust. Everything, that is, except a small gemstone that peeks out of the remains of the barrier - it appears that this Treasure was powering the defense mechanisms attached to the door. Either way, Lurgyan pockets it and continues to the next room.

In that room, Lurgyan finds what appears to be some sort of workshop. A simple cabinet and a workbench lie on the right side of the room, while the left side has an archway which appears to lead to another room. There are several stalactites hanging from the ceiling, dripping water into the middle of the room.

Challenge: investigate the room, or advance onwards
Restriction: none, although you may wish to be stealthy
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of the workshop
(note: you are currently at location 14)
Subject16
Show
Hide
Gumuz begins to rush down the hallway. After a few steps, he slows down to make a turn when he hears an ominous 'click', followed by several enormous stone blocks falling down from above. WHUMMMMP! The goblin attempts to leap to safety, but still gets grazed by the trap, taking 7 points of damage (1d4+4). On the plus side, with the way behind mostly blocked, the vampire is unlikely to follow. Nursing his wounds, Gumuz continues onwards deeper into the ruins.

Further down the corridor, Gumuz finds himself in what appears to be a small vestibule. This room appears to be the more formal entry room for the ruins - it has some ancient carvings lining the walls, although it is difficult to make out the exact meaning of the figures. Other than that, there isn't a lot of note in the room. However, there are three apertures of note: a closed wooden door to the left, a stone door straight ahead that appears to have been torn open, and an archway to the right which appears to lead to a closet. It looks like more exploration is necessary.

Challenge: Explore the ruins!
Restriction: none
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior ruin-delving experience
(note: you're inside the ruins, at location 10)
(also, as the person that activated the trap, you can't qualify for the bonus below)
Incredium
Show
Hide
With what is a rather energetic burst of activity for a usually inanimate object, the door swings open, allowing Gamwatt to see into the next room. The lock attacked to the door skitters for a few moments before falling silent once again. With that dealt with, Gamwatt advances into the next room.

In that room, Gamwatt finds what appears to be some sort of workshop. A simple cabinet and a workbench lie on the right side of the room, while the left side has an archway which appears to lead to another room. There are several stalactites hanging from the ceiling, dripping water into the middle of the room.

Challenge: investigate the room, or advance onwards
Restriction: none, although you may wish to be stealthy
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of the workshop
(note: you are currently at location 14)
Additionally, everyone is able to hear a very loud noise that they believe came from the entrance of the ruins. To an untrained ear, it is difficult to determine the exact cause or meaning of the noise - it could be the blow of a warhorn, the roar of an enormous and angry baloth... or the rumble of the entrance collapsing. Anyone that is able to correctly identify the cause of this noise and either make use of this knowledge (or incorporate it into their plans) may add a +2 bonus to their check this round.
don't look until you've guessed
Show
Hide
There are actually two correct answers! You can only make use of one of these bits of knowledge though.
One sound is the horn of an adventurer, calling for help / attempting to rally forces to fight against the clerics.
The other sound is that of a trap caving in one of the entry paths to the ruins.
Other Stuff
Thanks to everyone that submitted loot! I'm going to be putting it in a table to pull from starting next round. May have to slightly tweak a few items, but otherwise stuff looks sweet. Because it seems on-theme, the rarity of the loot that will be awarded will be proportional to a draft pack - 10/15 chances for a common, 3/15 for an uncommon, 1/15 for a rare (with a 1/4 chance of upgrading to mythic), and 1/15 chance for a token (because awarding a basic land doesn't make sense).

I've also noticed scores slowly creeping up a little over time, possibly due to people acquiring more gear, and possibly just due to people getting better at designing cards. From a design perspective, this is why people have a strength score / maximum carrying capacity.... but if you feel like an additional challenge, you may take a -4 penalty for a second loot roll (assuming you still score high enough). Note that you won't actually get two items - you'll just be given two options, and you can choose one to keep. I don't actually expect people to actually take this option that often (-4 is a pretty big penalty) but I'm always a fan of player-chosen difficulty / high-risk, high-reward mechanics.

Next update planned for 10/22.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There were other adventurers, no doubt. While bodies of cultists could be explained by wild life attack, those killings coupled with the lack of torches in the entryway pointed strongly to another ruins-delvers already infiltrating the complex.

Illenen was no stranger to exploring the ruins and he knew that there would be hazards ahead, intentional or not. Sadly, he was not versed in the art of trap-finding, not to mention lack of trap-disarming skills. He could only hope that clerics had already dealt with whatever was bent on keeping them out of this place.

In fact, there was a possibility to figure out whether those hopes were futile or not. Coming closer to one of the torches, knight started to read the Scribbled Note taken from Kor's body once again. He was looking for any hints about the existance of traps or other possible pitfalls.

The note was not an easy kind lecture, written to someone who knew already few crucial details. For every solid fact presented in it, there was two open-ended statements. Illenen felt, as if he was accomplishing nothing. Still weakned by hexes of cultist and becoming more and more irritated, he closed his eyes and breathed heavily. Containing anger and frustration, he calms his mind and gathers focus, starting to read again, this time trying to solve this jigsaw puzzle of words.

Comprehensive Analysis
Sorcery (R)
Untap target artifact you control. Until end of turn, the next time you activate its ability, if it isn't a mana ability, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
There is a hidden potential in every tool, that only waits to be spotted.

Knight read the Scribbled Note once again, this time connecting clues between the lines in the most probable way he could imagine. There was nothing more he could gain from this note. He could be wrong, ofcourse, but he had hardly other possibilities then to trust, except running away. Acknowledging that his greater survival chances against superior numbers are in corridors, not halls, he unsheathes sword, turning his steps toward left path.
——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
0/2
HP: 11/12
STR: 1/5 (0+5)
INV:
Scribbled Note
Show
Hide
Scribbled Note ()
Artifact
{3/3}

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

(OOC: Don't have a design yet but I'll bump the thread so it doesn't fall off the first page.)

Subject16

Lorn Absord Schutta
Flavor 3 - Double checking any clue you could find. Fits nicely.
Design 3 - Very cute card, it tingles my johnny senses. Definitely needs support but not unbalanced or overpowered.
Development 2 - The name is a little generic for such an interesting effect, but it's definitely the right mana cost and rarity.
Luck - 3 (2+1)
Bonus - Sadly none
Total: 11

Gumuz painfully limped into the antichamber, cursing himself with the pain that came with each new step. Of course there would be traps. No matter now, what's done is done, and with the collapsing of the tunnel there was no doubt in Gumuz's mind that it would be a long while before he found any company. He needed to rest.

Setting himself down on the stone floor, Gumuz pondered over his next move. Rummaging through his pack, he fished out a wrapped parcel of food he had kept from the Happy Hedron, enchanted so as to not spoil. The room seemed to lead its way into three passages. To his right, a small-ish archway leading towards a supply closet of sorts. Supplies would be of great use to Gumuz right now. On the left, a wooden door that seems like it may be locked, possibly trapped. Ahead of him a stone door ripped apart. That last one worried him. Whatever lurked down here that could break that door apart was not something Gumuz cared to meet. Not in his current state. He felt exhaustion take him over as he finished his food. Time to heal would be useful.

Awaking to a slight tremor from behind him, Gumuz wasn't sure how long he had slept for, but he knew he needed to move. He stopped and chuckled for a second. Recklessness had just cost him dearly, and he can't serve his masters dead. Making his way towards the closet, he decided to scrounge for whatever supplies he could find.

Tomb Rummage B
Sorcery (C)
Exile target player's graveyard, then choose one —
• If a creature card was exiled this way, you gain 3 life.
• If a noncreature card was exiled this way, draw a card.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Menace
3/2
Current HP: 4/12 (Food Consumed)
Inventory: /

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Subject16
Flavor - 2.5
Yeah, this does seem like rummaging in a tomb - but the text isn't that long, and could have used flavor text.
Design - 3
Interesting version of an effect that wouldn't typically be modal. That formatting is new too.
Development - 2
This is clearly too complex for common imo.
Luck - 3
1+2 - Narrowly avoided more serious badness.
Bonus - 1
This seems like the move of an experienced adventurer.
Total: 11.5

The dark priest feels he might have just managed to avoid a trap from those floor tiles earlier, and he suspects more further on. He slips on that poor unfortunate's Lucky Ring and, steeling himself, goes to check the cabinet for any useful materials - his ultimate goal is to try to make an improvised weapon for future use, as he is carrying items for defense and miscellaneous utilities but isn't as heavily armed as he might like. In service of that he calls upon more of his magic of divine wisdom, trying to channel ancient secrets of weaponsmithing.

Craftlore G
Instant (U)
Target creature gains indestructible and trample until end of turn. If you cast this spell before combat, whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player this turn, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
Materials and technologies change, but the principles of smithing are always the same: Build strength through making and wielding.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
• Hexproof
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (3 available)

Items:
Clue x 2
Treasure x 2

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Mystery effect
Equip 2

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”