Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

My card for reference
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Enigmatic Mirage 1UU
Creature — Illusion (U)
Whenever Enigmatic Mirage becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, sacrifice Enigmatic Mirage, then draw a card.
1UU: Choose one —
• Enigmatic Mirage gains hexproof until end of turn.
• Change a target of target spell or ability an opponent controls to Enigmatic Mirage.
You won't know whether it's real or not until you try to touch it.
3/3
Note on flavor text
Show
Hide
Yes, it's an intended reference to Schrödinger's cat.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
... Otherwise, the creature would already have been sacrificed by the time the spell would resolve, so the spell would be fizzled anyway. Is there something I'm missing?
No, there is something that I have missed there, and a rather big thing. I still can't believe that I've missed it! You are absolutely right and my card actually doesn't work in the way I wanted it to. My idea was having a variant of the usual illusion ability that was something good and bad for you at the same time, so that sometimes you wanted that ability to resolve (to draw a card) and sometimes you didn't (to keep the creature). By the way, that's what gave me the idea to have the flavor text be a reference to the concept of Schrödinger's cat, which obviously, being a chemistry teacher myself, I know quite well.

The modal activated ability was meant as the means for you to control that: the first mode (gaining hexproof) was to let you not resolve the first ability to keep the creature, while the second (taking an opponent's spell and force it to target the Illusion itself) was to let you willingly trigger the first ability if you wanted to draw the card but at the cost of sacrificing the Illusion. I wanted the first ability of the Illusion to fizzle with the first mode of the activated ability, not your opponent's spell. I think there must be a way to make the card that I had in mind, but yes, this was clearly not it. I'll think about it. If I find a wording that does what I want the card to actually do, I might post the revised version of it in the DCC one of these days. I guess we'll see.

Oh, well, I've willingly tried to play outside the box this month because it's something I need to learn to do, both in Magic card design and in real life. I used this month's CCL as a self-testing ground essentially, and it turns out that yes, I still have to work on that side of me. I would be very surprised to get into the top 8 this month, but hey, at least I've learned something out of it!
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

From the October week 1 thread:
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
spacemonaut: Is there a special reason Malam uses +counters rather than simply getting +X/+X for creature cards in your graveyard? It's pretty cool, I just find that detail a little baffling. (I know there's a case for it due to reanimation, but I'm just not sure how strong that case is.)
Malam's text
Show
Hide
Malam, the Gravelord 3BB
Legendary Creature — Skeleton Giant (M)
Menace
Malam, the Gravelord enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Malam.
When Malam dies, create a number of 1/1 black Skeleton creature tokens equal to its power. Then exile Malam from your graveyard.
0/0

(original post here)
I was flip-flopping between that and its current function. There was three factors: reanimation, being able to grow Malam's skelly mass with proliferate, and I didn't like graveyard hate making Malam fall apart without giving you any skeletons out of it. (But then again, that's not altogether a flavor fail.) I decided to just go with the thing I thought would be a little more fun, I don't know which one would be the right call for a finished product.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The October Top 8 round is now up!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

It's a bit last minute to ask this I know, but is it alright for the card to reference additional creature types, particularly those besides the ones on either of our cards?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sure, that's fine as long as you also get in one from a previous card.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Seeking an organizer for the November CCL.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

I have a question - spacemonaut's entry (while awesome) is a creature card when the contest specifies noncreature, and they've already recieved several high marks and T3 placements in people's judgement. How will the fact that the entry is technically not eligible under contest rules be viewed as a part of determining who gets to move on?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The CCL does not disqualify entries. However, contestants should know that they should not give a top 3 spot to a card that fails to meet the challenge. If spacemonaut's entry does still place in the top 4 scores for whatever reason he will move on.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
A lot of shades will only take 2-3 mana to do this given the doubler, and I can do it on the defence, so this is probably a "win on turn 7" card.
A Turn 7 win with this is approaching magical christmas land. You need to curve out with shades on turn 2 (there's only 3 with CMC 2, and one of them is Mire Shade) and 3, then play Rise of Shadows, then you spend almost all your mana each turn pumping each shade and not have your opponents kill the shades, or the enchantment itself, or you after you've lost 6 life to your own enchantment. Not saying it's impossible -- it's definitely doable if you're goldfishing -- but if your opponent has any interaction whatsoever (kill spell, counterspell for the shades or the enchantment, enchantment hate, burn to your face, even a large/deathtouching creature) then it becomes far more difficult.
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
This being a turn 1 play is pretty crippling though: my opponent taking their first turn after me doesn't get to play their first turn creature.
This is about netn10's card, not mine, but I think you might have misread it - it isn't an Eldrazi creature itself, so without busted acceleration you can't shut them out of a 1-drop. With the right start you could stop people after you from curving out, but it would definitely wouldn't be easy.
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

[mention]slimytrout[/mention] Thanks — I'm going to take another look at my reviews today and revise at least those two.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

[mention]barbecube[/mention] You should add your round 1 and round 2 cards to your post. : )

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Will do, thanks for the reminder.
formerly willows

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The October final round is now up and the November first round is soon to come!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Question for Nov round 1: Does the instant/sorcery have to be the source of the damage, or can it cause other things to deal damage (e.g. Rabid Bite )?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Question for Nov round 1: Does the instant/sorcery have to be the source of the damage, or can it cause other things to deal damage (e.g. Rabid Bite )?
Causing another source to deal damage is also fine.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Bump. Would everyone prefer I pin final rounds?
I wouldn't prefer that.

IMO — when you start a round that has a list of contestants, the contestant names should be in mention tags, so that each one knows ASAP and directly that a new round is starting and we're in it.

[mention]Raptorchan[/mention] are you aware you're in the finals? I imagine you'd be aware but you haven't made a submission yet and I'd rather be safe than sorry in pinging you.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That's doable. I think most people would be okay with that but if anyone objects please say so and I'll be sure to not tag you.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

October's final poll is now up.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations [mention]Raptorchan[/mention] for winning October's CCL!

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
bravelion83 (Living Munition): [looks at Boros symbol in avatar] [looks at cost] hmmmm...
Strange coincidence, isn't it? :) But no, don't worry, I'm neither the goblin in question nor the one who actioned the catapult. In my own garrison we don't do these things... But I can't speak for the rest of the Legion, though.

Seriously, yes, as I read the challenge I immediately wanted to make a Boros creature, both in the sense of the color pair and in the sense of the guild. While thinking about this, suddenly what's probably my favorite card from ELD (for the sheer amount of damage that I've done with it so far) came to my mind: Brimstone Trebuchet. And I thought: wait a minute. What if that sort of fiery cannon ball was actually something, or better, someone else? Goblins love high-adrenaline experiences! At that point, it all connected and this card was born.
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
I'm also considering that it's possible that this goblin was literally kicked into the enemy.
The intended flavor is that the goblin falls onto the enemy (that's certainly not expecting it) from the sky at high speed, sending them both violentely to the ground and/or to the nearest wall, potentially and hopefully killing the enemy with the force of the impact. As for the goblin's fate...
Ryder wrote:
4 years ago
The only weird thing is that the goblin survives being flung...
Who says they always survive? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

If they chump block another attacker they probably won't anyway.

And trust me, a lot of living munitions don't make it back to their home garrisons...

—Soldier Leo, garrison 29, Ninth District
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

If you participated in November's Round 1 or 2 please get your critiques in or finish them up! If that's not possible, please at least post a top 3 ASAP.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Sorry I missed the deadline. Best of luck to the top 8!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Top 8 round for November is now up.

In addition, if anyone is interested in hosting December, please give that some thought now.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Thanks for using the @mentions this time around. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”