Wow @MTGSally really did go off a cliff since our move here.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 4 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 months ago
I still go on Sally for the rumor mill and story discussion...
The rumor mill used to be great, we used to get hyper over-analysis of pretty much every interesting new card, usually in a dedicated thread. So far as I can tell, that just doesn't exist anywhere like it used to (other than reddit, where the over-analysis is less card mechanics and more conspiracies and meta-jokes), but that may just be a symptom of the modern pace of releases. A rumor mill as thorough as we once were would average like 3 new threads per day, which is too much for people to keep pace with.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 months ago
I still go on Sally for the rumor mill and story discussion but man I really got burned out over all the bigotry that still jumped out .

On that note, I'm basically the one running the lore section on sally. I tried to do that here but people weren't really talking about the story itself but seems like there is a bit more interested now a days so might be fun to bring some of that back here.
I would love to have discussion about the Lore, but I've lost all faith and interest after the Phyrexia debacle. I don't even know what's happening in the new Ixalan anymore and I find I can't bring myself to care. That being said, I'd love to keep tabs on it just for curiosity. You never know; they might decide to resurrect Nicol Bolas or have a hidden nest of Phyrexians hiding somewhere that somehow escaped the stupid obliteration of one of MtG's most iconic villains.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 months ago

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
I'd put @Feyd_Ruin's dev skills against anyone for a clean, hella cool website with a legit, welcoming community. People are going to get tired of trying to find useful comments on Discord, Moxfield, and other forums and there will probably be a cycling back to forums like this one.
You find useful comments on Moxfield and not useless %$#% and whining about card x?
benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
The only thing this site really needs to take off is a decent marketing campaign. Some simple, cheap opt-in ads on Facebook and some organic videos on TikTok and I'd bet the site would take off.
I was gonna say something about bottom feeding marketers selling user data for ad revenue, but as I don't use the platforms listed, I'd guess I'd never see it so it really doesn't matter to me.
Treamayne wrote:
4 months ago
benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
. . . and I'd bet the site would take off
If by "take-off" you mean like the RC Discord population explosion; no thanks. Fun to toxic in 2.3 seconds. . .
@3drinks Occasionally I've found a useful comment on Moxfield Primers here and there. But it's a rarity, and nothing like the substantive and thoughtful posts here on MTGNexus. I've noticed an uptick of people asking more strategy-based questions for Moxfield Primers and not getting responses, so I think there's a growing need for the general populace.

I'd love to see Feyd get some nice ad revenue potential for the site to justify his hard work, even though that's 100% not what he's going for. And more discussion is always better than less. Besides, I feel like my modding is pretty manageable atm so I could take on a bit more for the Commander forums.

@Treamayne Nah, I'm thinking more like get the intelligent, thoughtful people to come to MTGNexus and enjoy the awesomeness that's been built here. I'll be ready and waiting to ban-hammer the trolls, bigots, and other internet flamers. Who knows, I might even get to relish the opportunity to Big Brother all the fools who try violating Community guidelines :rofl:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
Big brother is always watching
Ben isn't Big Brother, he's more like Starfleet command.
benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
[...]I'll be ready and waiting to ban-hammer the trolls, bigots, and other internet flamers. Who knows, I might even get to relish the opportunity to Big Brother all the fools who try violating Community guidelines :rofl:
You really know how to make a guy eat his words, Ben. 🤣 It's fine though, it's hard to complain about a tight ship.

It'd be nice to see an increase in traffic, but I do worry the familiarity we've all built here might be diluted if we suddenly grew. It's been nice getting to know everyone here without the constant noise of Sally, Reddit, etc.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 4 months ago

I will say I do miss their deckbuilder. I don't miss that we couldn't ever DELETE a old, outdated deck tho. Then having to prod the mods to update with the new stuff. Which ill be fair in the last two years would be hell to keep that database.

Kelzam
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kelzam » 4 months ago

Sally has certainly been on a crazy ride. Can't believe it's been almost two decades since it went up/News went down. God I'm getting old. I don't often speak of the founding of Sally with it being long irrelevant, but from one creator to others, I'm thankful for Feyd and everyone who carried the torch of iterating and improving on what came before to make something better.

Now, if I could just find the energy to be active again instead of always lurking, heh. :skull:
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

I honestly wish Nexus were more active, specifically more engaged discussions and more frequent posts. I feel like all my decks are pretty stagnant due to lack of useful criticism. Not sure how much traffic really my Primer gets, I don't keep track of the views, hopefully some people find use of it due to google searches. But we have EDHrec now, so I'm sure a lot of people use that as their main resource these days.

I do remember getting more useful discussions back on salvation, and there more people interested in specific commanders or archetypes to actually talk about more nuanced card choices and strategies.

I wonder if what I'm percieving is just a sense of apathy from the community due to how Mtg is currently going.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
4 months ago
I honestly wish Nexus were more active, specifically more engaged discussions and more frequent posts. I feel like all my decks are pretty stagnant due to lack of useful criticism. Not sure how much traffic really my Primer gets, I don't keep track of the views, hopefully some people find use of it due to google searches. But we have EDHrec now, so I'm sure a lot of people use that as their main resource these days.

I do remember getting more useful discussions back on salvation, and there more people interested in specific commanders or archetypes to actually talk about more nuanced card choices and strategies.

I wonder if what I'm percieving is just a sense of apathy from the community due to how Mtg is currently going.
Yeah, I would also like to see more engagement on my primers. People do post on it occasionally, but not that often.

One possible reason for the lack of activity is the sheer number of new commanders coming out. Most people are drawn to threads for commanders they play or are interested in building... so when there are more commanders but the same number of players, the number of people playing (and thus talking about) any given commander will go down. I unfortunately would not expect much discussion unless I were playing a particularly popular commander.

One potential way to get more activity is to broaden the appeal to a larger macro-archetype. For example, combining discussion for Gonti, Erebos, and Sheoldred into 'mono-black' or whatever. That can be tricky for particularly commander-dependent decks though.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Primer owners do a lot of great work for the community on this site. I think I speak for all of the staff when I say I hope we can find ways for that work to be more rewarding.
Mookie wrote:
4 months ago
One possible reason for the lack of activity is the sheer number of new commanders coming out. Most people are drawn to threads for commanders they play or are interested in building... so when there are more commanders but the same number of players, the number of people playing (and thus talking about) any given commander will go down. I unfortunately would not expect much discussion unless I were playing a particularly popular commander.
+1
Mookie wrote:
4 months ago
One potential way to get more activity is to broaden the appeal to a larger macro-archetype. For example, combining discussion for Gonti, Erebos, and Sheoldred into 'mono-black' or whatever. That can be tricky for particularly commander-dependent decks though.
Maybe narrower archetypes than that - we all know that RW has a million options for Auras/Equipment and WB has just as many for aristocrats - but it's a thought.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 months ago

For archetypes, we could have a semi-primer that goes over the archetype, marquee cards, commanders, etc, then link to all appropriate primers? Could even be an article series if someone feels like writing?
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”