What are your favourite mono-white and mono-blue generals?

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

@Mimicvat to add to ISB's comments, the deck can play out a little differently from time to time early game. You do have the option of pieces like Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Magus of the Moat and Serra Ascendant to tide you over early game. Obviously you can either slow folks down to a pace you can match or exceed, or hit early and make your life total a little more insurmountable with Ascendant and such. Resplendent Angel has been a nice early add for board presence for me too, and so long as you have literally anything on board to attach Sword of the Animist or Dowsing Dagger to, you're golden for ramp.
Mimicvat wrote:
4 years ago
I'm quite interested in the value 'packages' you can build for white. They don't even need to be that good, I just like setting this type of stuff up.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Tags:

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

I love mono-coloured decks! Sure they have some limitations but I find they allow you to make a very focused deck since the options are a little more limited.

I have a mono-blue Kefnet the Mindful voltron deck which is really fun.

My two favorite mono-white decks are

Oketra the True also voltron and then God-Eternal Oketra which is bounce/tokens. I find that GE Oketra makes up for white's lack of card draw by letting you re-use the bounce creatures over and over. If left unchecked I find that deck can get very out of hand and actually kill via combat fairly easily.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
4 years ago
For blue I'm mostly looking at blue Braids or Sai at the moment. Braids really, really needs ways to get around being last to play the effect - I remember facing against it often and killing her just before her turn, otherwise she'd drop out an Eldrazi.
FYI my go to for this was phasing. Vanishing and Vodalian Illusionist are neat tricks to not only keep her safe until you can use her abilities but also keep the abilities all to yourself :)
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

Yeah I found a Vodalian Illusionist in my card pile and figured that could work!

Plus phasing people's stuff at key points is exactly the type of blue control I like (rather than counter/bounce everything forever). I don't have access to my main cards until post lockdown so unsure if I have enough big dumb cards to make her playable.

Otherwise I have a couple of the flash enablers lying about that I could use to at least get the ability before other players.

Makes me sad she doesn't do enchantments. The biggest things I can think of are stuff like Mind's Dilation. Would love to just dump in big enchantments and creatures
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

I signed up just to become part of the magic community more.

Honestly, I have to give a big shout out to my first mono colored deck, and one of my favorite decks for EDH to date. That would have to be Thassa, Deep Dwelling. She's a ton of fun and a huge value engine that can be a beefy blocker when needed. Seriously, if you like ETB effects I recommend giving her a try!

reltastic
Selesnya's Voice

Post by reltastic » 4 years ago

A few W commanders I like the idea of, though I've never built any of them:

Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - she's a decent mono white combo commander. Mill someone out with Anafenza, Altar of Dementia and Lesser Masticore? Get infinite mana with Phyrexian Altar or Ashnod's Altar. Infinite life with either and a Soul Sister. Then just do what mono W does and hit someone hard with equipment or tax them to the ground.

Darien, King of Kjeldor - He's an oldie, but he's pretty good. Again, pairs well with the Soul Sisters. Coat of Arms or Door of Destinies never worked better. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Karma make this guy just take off.

Eight-and-a-Half-Tails - used to be the best voltron commander. Still pretty decent.

Jazal Goldmane - is, for me, the best token commander. Doesn't create tokens on their own, but his ability to run someone over quickly is pretty impressive.

Odric, Master Tactician - old Captain No Blocks. Nothing real interesting, but it's strong when he's working.

Oyobi, Who Split the Heavens - Hear me out. He's expensive, but there are a ton of relevant mono W spirits in Commander. Paired with Cathars' Crusade, Anointed Procession, and maybe Divine Visitation I think he could be a lot of fun. That's very different than good, of course...

The U commander I think seems fun is Keiga, the Tide Star. Just fill it with all the clone effects you can, and steal everything on the board. It's convoluted, but it's fun! Rite of Replication and Blade of Selves will really do some good work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”