The Community Deck Build Project v9.0

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

There's a non-zero amount of haste we can back into our lands to help. Hanweir Battlements and Hall of the Bandit Lord are two reasonable options, fpr what that's worth. I think being on a land makes them incredibly easy to add, and they're both well within budget. Slayers' Stronghold too.

As far as cheap creatures go Bloodlust Inciter and Torch Courier are as low to the ground as it gets, I'm not wasting a nomination on them though.

I'm gonna go with Myrel, Shield of Argive. Her attack trigger is strong even outisde of a soldier build, but what appeals to me more is the static Grand Abolisher effect. Attack triggers are super easy to disrupt; wait till guy goes to combat, bounce his stuff. Can't do that with Myrel in play. As much as this is a midrange value engine, it's insurance too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 8 months ago

I don't think we can leverage mass hysteria, this is the card you play on your combo turn yeah? Haste is a really, really strong ability and giving it to the whole table is very not great.

I think Myrel has to make it in this deck! Has to has to has to, I think this is non negotiable so yayyyy.

I do think multiple of these haste outlets is important and I never saw that future sight card before, so that's why I'll make my pick Emblem of the Warmind!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 8 months ago

I'll be the second yay on Rising of the Day, I guess it really is best in class. Strictly better than Fervor at least. The double pips in Hammer of Purphoros in this 3c non-g deck is relevant so this really is the pick I suppose.

It's also been long enough that I will make an executive decision to confirm Sword of the Animist and Lightning Greaves to clear up the list somewhat.

Don't think Myrel needs any elaboration tbh, that's pretty important. I thought Emblem of the War Mind was a bit memey (I don't speak meme though), seems more in line with a token strat? What do you put it on that makes sense? Uril, the Miststalker would seem the right choice but that's not this deck. This might be a hard haste enable to leverage so I think this is a nay from me. Sorry Lish.

Sword of the Animist yay - 2 nay - 0
Lightning Greaves yay - 2 nay - 0

Rising of the Day yay - 2 nay - 0
Myrel, Shield of Argive yay - 2 nay - 0
Emblem of the War Mind yay - 0 nay - 1

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5JGLDfA7OEy0ZaPb3Nw9QQ

For today we'll put @gsgfdf and myself on the clock to round out this cycle. I'm trying to resist a saucy finisher submission, so I'll come back to this later this afternoon.
toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
There's a non-zero amount of haste we can back into our lands to help. Hanweir Battlements and Hall of the Bandit Lord are two reasonable options, for what that's worth. I think being on a land makes them incredibly easy to add, and they're both well within budget. Slayers' Stronghold too.
I like bloodlust inciter in theory but this is kinda just worse (easier to interact with) swiftfoot boots yeah? A lot of interaction points from something that dies to a fart in the wind.

If not melding Hanweir Battlements, isn't Flamekin Village better? Especially in a 3c deck where colourless slots are at a premium. But, as is these lands, slayers' stronghold, they're just adding costs to the creature. Hanweir says "this creature costs cr more, and gains haste" effectively. Bandit Lord at least doesn't raise the cost, though yeah you can't just use it willy nilly. I think Hall is the only pick here, realistically.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

Yay Myriel
Nay Emblem

I am in favour of some haste lands but we are 3 colors. They have to be good.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
If not melding Hanweir Battlements, isn't Flamekin Village better? Especially in a 3c deck where colourless slots are at a premium. But, as is these lands, slayers' stronghold, they're just adding costs to the creature. Hanweir says "this creature costs more, and gains haste" effectively. Bandit Lord at least doesn't raise the cost, though yeah you can't just use it willy nilly. I think Hall is the only pick here, realistically.
I think it's another 'could go either way' tbh. It doesn't enter tapped whereas Flamekin mostly will. Honestly, they're options, I don't necessarily know that they're great ones, but are they better than medium mana fixers? In most cases, on par I think. The detriment for including some of them is pretty minimal. There's also the option of Winding Canyons and Emergence Zone. I like the former more by a long shot, and last I checked it meets our budget cap. I think it's worth discussing how to weaponise our lands a bit more anyway. Flash is a weird thing that not every deck can play well, but it's an option I guess.

3drinks

Oh. That's what it is. Crashing Drawbridge. I really sat here racking my brain to only remember this thing as the other haste enabler.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

Yay on Myriel and Rising
Nay on Emblem, our opponents have every incentive to kill Isshin, no reason to give them a 2 for 1.

For my nomination I would like to propose Sneak Attack. We are in black and we can reuse our creatures with some GY tricks down the line.

3drinks

Rising of the Day yay - 3 nay - 0
Myrel, Shield of Argive yay - 4 nay - 0

Emblem of the War Mind yay - 0 nay - 3
Crashing Drawbridge yay - 0 nay - 0
Sneak Attack yay - 1 nay - 0

I'll yay Sneak Attack. Can't believe it's sub $6. Never thought I'd see the day. AND it's got the original iconic art! On top of these confirms, I also replaced Path of Ancestry with Hall of the Bandit Lord. I think we'll have just enough haste outlets, assuming drawbridge makes the cut.

Let's put @Dunharrow and @Moxnix on the clock for today.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

How does the budget work I kind of want to play ragavan but not if I'm trying to make the deck list cheap its not worth the price point but it does seem very good since it cost 1 and on theme.

3drinks

Moxnix wrote:
8 months ago
How does the budget work I kind of want to play ragavan but not if I'm trying to make the deck list cheap its not worth the price point but it does seem very good since it cost 1 and on theme.
We keep single cards below the $35 mark/single card so that it's at least tenable if someone liked the final product enough without giving up a vital organ. And traditionally, I've watched cards get shot down as they draw close to that cap (diabolic intent has been a hotly contested card, at least before it's most recent reprint).

Monkey doesn't inherently synergize beyond being a good card I'd argue. It's on damage, not on attack. I'm not sure I'd give it a yay vote on that, even if it was on budget.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I would yay crashing drawbridge and sneak attack both, I think! I think the bridge is sneaky good especially and people haven't quite woke up to it yet 🙃

toctheyounger

I'll yea Sneak and Bridge. Both pretty decent picks here, and sneak means cheating our curve just a scooch too. You know, we got a second version available in @3drinks' favorite mardu cleric too. Nudge nudge nudge.

Monke doesn't make the cut for budget, but it probably would just for value if it weren't the price it is. Card is very good. I can look the other way if everyone else can.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

Thats right its on damage. Lets do Adeline then Shes insane I've killed whole tables with nothing but that and rick before.

Dunharrow

Yay for drawbridge and sneak attack

I will nominate Inferno Titan. I love the ability to snipe blockers and allow our attackers to get through. With haste it also delivers at least 12 damage.

Adeline, Resplendent Cathar is good. Solid choice. Yay.

The other haste enabler that could be interesting is that 1mv aura (enchant land) with cycling.

3drinks

Crashing Drawbridge yay - 3 nay - 0
Sneak Attack yay - 4 nay - 0

Adeline, Resplendent Cathar yay - 2 nay - 0
Inferno Titan yay - 1 nay - 0

I'd yay Inferno Tits and Adeline. Adeline is like a cheaper Bladehold, and double dipping on fire tits is scary indeed.

On the clock today will be @toctheyounger and @aliciaofthevast.
Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
The other haste enabler that could be interesting is that 1mv aura (enchant land) with cycling.
Yeah, Footfall Crater. I'm a fan of Mark of Fury too but footfall is better I'd imagine.
toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
Both pretty decent picks here, and sneak means cheating our curve just a scooch too. You know, we got a second version available in @3drinks' favorite mardu cleric too. Nudge nudge nudge.
Haaaa. But Kaalia type-limits us, and I don't think we need to deal with leaving titans, praetors and eldrazi at home just to use a couple of dragons. (I just wanna double proc a Bane of Bala Ged honestly, this isn't unreasonable :please: )

toctheyounger

Yea for Inferno, and ill confirm Adeline too. Card is a house.

My nomination is Delina, Wild Mage. It looks a bit iffy, I know, but her ability can get pretty out of hand. Doubling it already is pretty great, and if you're lucky it can just win you the game out of nowhere. I've been running a Delina deck for a while that's an absolute blast to play.

I don't think her copies will time well enough to get full advantage of Isshin, but I think the value is good enough regardless.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Ohhh, I meant to get in here yesterday! I wanted to steal a pick from 3drinks and nominate Hellrider! It won't quite work with Delina (which I'll happily yayyy!!) but it's a clock that is respectable. Now it's a double clock with Isshin.

Of course I support Inferno Titan!

3drinks

A little bit of cleanup on this slow dreary saturday. I'll yay the two bombtastic finishers there too.

Adeline, Resplendent Cathar yay - 3 nay - 0
Inferno Titan yay - 3 nay - 0

Delina, Wild Mage yay - 2 nay - 0
Hellrider yay - 1 nay - 0

toctheyounger

Yea Hellrider seems great here.

Dunharrow

yay delina and hellrider
there was a Khans card that would double up on hellrider right?

3drinks

Delina, Wild Mage yay - 3 nay - 0
Hellrider yay - 2 nay - 0

Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
yay delina and hellrider
there was a Khans card that would double up on hellrider right?
Brutal Hordechief is what you're thinking of. Though at five and no haste you're really paying a premium for that activated ability. I'm not sure I'd include that as well, though maybe. I'd guess it would depend on how wide we're going (contrast this versus Fervent Charge, for example).

3drinks

Oh, I didn't vote on Hellrider when I updated the tallies yesterday morning. I'll yay that for the confirm. For today, we'll finish out the cycle of picks with myself and @gsgfdf. And I'll take a page from yesterday's RCotD, and submit Reckoner Bankbuster to the deck. We're always going to be in the red zone and this does that while providing us tools to dig since we want to play our hand so much.

Hellrider yay - 3 nay - 0
Reckoner Bankbuster yay - 0 nay - 0

toctheyounger

Bankbuster seems reasonable as an early game draw engine. I'm not sure it's much more useful than that, but that's fine by me. Let's say yea and see how it goes.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

....3drinks workshopped it in on me t1 and now he's obsessed 🙄😐

But I will still yay it 😁

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

I would like to nominate Etali, Primal Storm as a simple but powerful addition to our deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”