Eowyn's Rohirrim and Friends

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 9 months ago

the SpellseekerEphemerate package is potentially very strong. two turns of guaranteed eowyn triggers and two great spells.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 8 months ago

pokken wrote:
9 months ago

I think it would be very good. The deck basically stops at 5 mana or so and isn't really that mana hungry. I don't think it really needs mana rocks except Sol Ring. Play humans that make mana, and some goodstuff maybe (Smothering Tithe is reasonable for sure).

Every time you draw a frigging talisman instead of a 2 drop to trigger Eowyn or whatever is *thumbsdown*. I went through this with my Varina deck as well. I want *zombies* not mana rocks. Especially not ones that make you take a turn off of making humans.

Oh, that reminds me...Springleaf Drum is going to be a house in this deck, and Honor-Worn Shaku would be likely great as well (in the OP!), if you feel you need to ramp.

Shaku is bananas. Legendary count is like half the deck :P
Varina plays a bit differently--it has a lower curve, wants to necessarily be dropping more than 1 zombie a turn, when it can, and has plenty of value in the 1-, 2-, and 3- drop slots, while also curving into a 4-mana commander. It also sees WAY more cards, which means once Varina is out, you probably don't need rocks (although I find that I will play them if I draw them sometimes, to setup the next turn). She also cycles away useless cards well, so playing rocks isn't terrible.

Here, dropping one creature each turn after Eowyn shows up is usually all that's needed, and if more can come out, then great. I also feel like this curve is a bit higher than Varina over all with more valuable 3-, 4-, and 5- drops, so having the ramp is valuable.

Springleaf is a card I've been considering here, and it may have gotten in on the last pass...will have to check. Shaku is another I was looking at after Relic of Legends. I've reduced my legend count a bit, and the deck feels very pip-heavy, so the colorless mana isn't always going to be relevant. Still, it's probably worth looking at.
NZB2323 wrote:
9 months ago

Yeah, I've been looking at other humans to add. I don't know how much people want to make this a tutor, extra turns, cyclonic rift deck but there are some powerful humans that can make it that way. Timestream Navigator can give you extra turns and be searchable with Imperial Recruiter and Recruiter of the Guard, either for the first time or after she goes under your library. Imperial Recruiter's best target is probably Blade Historian, but it can also grab Professional Face-Breaker, and I believe Adeline, Resplendent Cathar? Recruiter of the Guard's best target is probably Lossarnach Captain, and both recruiters can grab Loran of the Third Path.

Sakashima of a Thousand Faces also seems very good to have 2 of Éowyn, Shieldmaiden. And then Spellseeker can search for Cyclonic Rift, Winds of Abandon, Forth Eorlingas!, or even Enlightened Tutor to grab Urza's Incubator, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Shared Animosity, or Kindred Discovery.

The issue I'm having is with adding all these humans I'd probably want to cut Riders of Rohan, but I really don't want to cut that card from a Riders of Rohan deck.
Adeline's power-setting is in all zones, so she'd only be tutorable off Recruiter if you have 2 or fewer creatures in play.

I think I'm leaving this as a solid lower-mid power deck, and not going all-in on tutors/combos/CycRift. I also am largely leaning towards combat-viable humans, rather than utility humans, but it could go that way easily. Sakashima would be a fantastic add if I had one (and I'm not spending the money on it for this deck). I just cut Riders of Rohan for Outlaws' Merriment after a couple games where I had it in hand, but didn't want to spend my turn on another 5 drop.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 8 months ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

MankeyFTW

Post by MankeyFTW » 8 months ago

As a Bonus for some spicy techs that fill multiple roles in the deck I added Grand Arbiter Augustin IV [/card] who functions as both ramp and stax, allowing you to pop Eowyn out for 3. Descendants' Fury [/card] as a pseudo Draw/Free spell card when you attack with a basic token. Scheming Fence [/card] as temporary ramp/removal. Playing Scheming Fence on someone's Commander, Thran Dynamo, or Sol Ring always makes for a fun interaction at the table.

NZB2323

MankeyFTW wrote:
8 months ago
As a Bonus for some spicy techs that fill multiple roles in the deck I added Grand Arbiter Augustin IV [/card] who functions as both ramp and stax, allowing you to pop Eowyn out for 3. Descen, dants' Fury [/card] as a pseudo Draw/Free spell card when you attack with a basic token. Scheming Fence [/card] as temporary ramp/removal. Playing Scheming Fence on someone's Commander, Thran Dynamo, or Sol Ring always makes for a fun interaction at the table.
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV seems really good, and it can be searched with Imperial Recruiter. Theoretically, the deck can go turn 3 Imperial Recruiter, turn 4 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, turn 5 Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and Boromir, Gondor's Hope.

The deck can have a nice stax package with Esper Sentinel, Mother of Runes, Drannith Magistrate, Coppercoat Vanguard, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Rhystic Study, and Smothering Tithe.

Hopefully, the price of Rhystic Study comes down with enchanted tales. The sad thing is I started playing during Prophecy and used to have a bunch of Rhystic Studies. I even remember running them in some casual multiplayer games, but now I don't have any.

EDIT: I just realized that with Loran of the Third Path you can use the draw ability on an opponent who is tapped out to create a treasure token off of Smothering Tithe.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
8 months ago
MankeyFTW wrote:
8 months ago
As a Bonus for some spicy techs that fill multiple roles in the deck I added Grand Arbiter Augustin IV [/card] who functions as both ramp and stax, allowing you to pop Eowyn out for 3. Descen, dants' Fury [/card] as a pseudo Draw/Free spell card when you attack with a basic token. Scheming Fence [/card] as temporary ramp/removal. Playing Scheming Fence on someone's Commander, Thran Dynamo, or Sol Ring always makes for a fun interaction at the table.
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV seems really good, and it can be searched with Imperial Recruiter. Theoretically, the deck can go turn 3 Imperial Recruiter, turn 4 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, turn 5 Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and Boromir, Gondor's Hope.

The deck can have a nice stax package with Esper Sentinel, Mother of Runes, Drannith Magistrate, Coppercoat Vanguard, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Rhystic Study, and Smothering Tithe.

Hopefully, the price of Rhystic Study comes down with enchanted tales. The sad thing is I started playing during Prophecy and used to have a bunch of Rhystic Studies. I even remember running them in some casual multiplayer games, but now I don't have any.

EDIT: I just realized that with Loran of the Third Path you can use the draw ability on an opponent who is tapped out to create a treasure token off of Smothering Tithe.
There are quite a number of human stax/hatebear pieces that the deck could be running. I feel like it could fairly easily be reconfigured into a sort of control shell with the commander providing both card advantage and a wincon over time (that also breaks parity on a lot of stax pieces). Arcane Laboratory effects would work well, since you only need to cast 1 human each turn (and not even that if you have token generation or a way to flicker before combat).

NZB2323

yeti1069 wrote:
8 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
8 months ago
MankeyFTW wrote:
8 months ago

There are quite a number of human stax/hatebear pieces that the deck could be running. I feel like it could fairly easily be reconfigured into a sort of control shell with the commander providing both card advantage and a wincon over time (that also breaks parity on a lot of stax pieces). Arcane Laboratory effects would work well, since you only need to cast 1 human each turn (and not even that if you have token generation or a way to flicker before combat).
I don't think it wants to go too hardcore into control. Arcane Laboratory prevents us from playing Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and a human in the same turn, and with Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Shared Animosity, ect. We want to playing lots of humans each turn. I feel like the 7 stax pieces above are plenty, and the only counterspell I run is Fierce Guardianship. The deck still primary wants to be an aggro deck and overrun people with Eowyn.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069

NZB2323 wrote:
8 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
8 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
8 months ago

I don't think it wants to go too hardcore into control. Arcane Laboratory prevents us from playing Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and a human in the same turn, and with Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Shared Animosity, ect. We want to playing lots of humans each turn. I feel like the 7 stax pieces above are plenty, and the only counterspell I run is Fierce Guardianship. The deck still primary wants to be an aggro deck and overrun people with Eowyn.
I'm not going that route either, but it's a strong option, I think. If you go dense on the ability to make a token the turn Eowyn comes out, or otherwise cheat in a creature, it doesn't matter if you can't cast another creature that turn. After that, you can commit 1-3 mana each turn to playing a single human, then draw a card and make two attackers each turn while holding up mana for interaction, and preventing other decks from developing at the same speed yours is (you're adding 3+ creatures to the board each turn). If you keep the curve of humans low, Aether Vial becomes an option, too.

Outside of control I had also been considering Cryptic Gateway as a way to leverage all the bodies the deck generates into adding more humans to the field. Some are valuable to bring out at instant speed, too.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

I updated my decklist:
Decklist

Commander 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Out: The Talismans didn't do enough, and with Jeweled Lotus, Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort, Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, Knight of the White Orchid, Charming Scoundrel, Urza's Incubator, Captain Lannery Storm, Professional Face-Breaker, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, and Smothering Tithe the deck has enough ramp.

Generous Gift cost too much for removal, the deck has enough removal with Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Westfold Rider, Loran of the Third Path, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, and Cyclonic Rift. And really, this deck doesn't want to be playing answers. This deck wants to be playing humans and overrunning opponents.

Mass Appeal and Visions of Glory required me to have a bunch of humans on the battlefield. Both are bad in the opening hand or after a boardwipe.

Visions of Glory, Vanquisher's Banner, Riders of Rohan, and Cathars' Crusade all cost 5 mana, and the deck had too many 5 drops, especially with the commander costing 5 mana. I just feel like Kindred Discovery and Increasing Devotion are more powerful than those cards.

In:
Spellseeker can be used to grab Ephemerate, Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Cyclonic Rift, Enlightened Tutor, or Forth Eorlingas!. Ephemerate can be cast on Spellseeker, Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, Loran of the Third Path, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, Knight of the White Orchid, or Thalia's Lieutenant, and their ETB triggers are good for Impact Tremors, Purphoros, God of the Forge, and Kindred Discovery.

Recruiter of the Guard can be used to get Lossarnach Captain or Sakashima of a Thousand Faces. and Imperial Recruiter could grab Blade Historian or Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. Either of them could grab Timestream Navigator.

Timestream Navigator is only 2 mana, can give you and extra turn, and then theoretically could give you another 1 or 2 extra turns after being searched for with either recruiter. Charming Scoundrel also only costs 2 mana and allows us to ramp with treasure.

I believe that Urza's Incubator is the best card in this deck, so it only seems right to add Grand Arbiter Augustin IV.

Greymond, Avacyn's stallwart is great for a human deck and fits the theme way better than Rick, Steadfast Leader.

Sakashima of a Thousand Faces can be used to create another Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, so we're making 4 tokens each turn and drawing 2 cards.

In the future I may cut Arcane Signet for Riders of the Mark and Door of Destinies for Rhystic Study. Or maybe I should cut some 3 drops since I have 21 of them. However, Flawless Maneuver, Fierce Guardianship, and Deflecting Swat can be played for free, Call the Coppercoats would rarely be played for 3 mana, and with Urza's Incubator, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, or Herald's Horn a lot of those 3 drops cost less.

What do you guys think?
Current Decks

Retired Decks

samanater456

Post by samanater456 » 7 months ago

Shame this thread hasn't had any traffic in recent weeks. This precon continues to impress me with how quickly you can blow people out of the water. Normally with precons I can identify easy quick upgrades to improve the deck but this precon has been slapping up mid power tables. Having blue to counter peoples %$#% is fantastic when playing a tribal deck.

NZB2323

samanater456 wrote:
7 months ago
Shame this thread hasn't had any traffic in recent weeks. This precon continues to impress me with how quickly you can blow people out of the water. Normally with precons I can identify easy quick upgrades to improve the deck but this precon has been slapping up mid power tables. Having blue to counter peoples %$#% is fantastic when playing a tribal deck.
Yeah, I like how it's powerful, but not too powerful and popular like Edgar Markov. The deck requires some setup to be successful, not just Eminence. On the other hand, I'm surprised that she's 326 on EDHREC while Edgar is 8th.

I would think that a LOTR human commander that gives you card advantage and human tokens in Jeskai colors would be more popular, but I'm also okay with it because I try and run decks that aren't too popular.

At the same time though, the only counterspell I run is Fierce Guardianship. I think this deck wants to be an aggro deck first and foremost.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

samanater456

Post by samanater456 » 7 months ago

Are you finding the current removal suite you have is sufficient enough? I play against players that can't stray away from blue and pack 3 wipes and 10 single target removals each 💀

NZB2323

samanater456 wrote:
7 months ago
Are you finding the current removal suite you have is sufficient enough? I play against players that can't stray away from blue and pack 3 wipes and 10 single target removals each 💀
Yes, especially since I can search for removal with Spellseeker or Mystical Tutor. But the deck is an aggro deck. You don't need removal if you kill your opponents with combat damage. When I played Edgar Markov, I ran almost no removal because I wanted to kill my opponents, not interact with them. I think Goblin Bombardment and Captivating Vampire were the only pieces of interaction I ran.

But aside from the 6 pieces of removal I have, Mother of Runes, Drannith Magistrate, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Esper Sentinel, Smothering Tithe, Fierce Guardianship, Deflecting Swat, Flawless Maneuver, and Clever Concealment can mess with the opponent's game plans.

If you cut humans for more removal, then you'll have a harder time getting to 6 humans with 1 entering the battlefield with Eowyn, so you'll have a harder time getting her triggers, and you'll have less humans for Kindred Discovery, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Shared Animosity, Thalia's Lieutenant, ect.

Each deck I build the main goal is to succeed in what it wants to do, not just play interaction. The exception is decks like Captain Sisay, Sarulf, Realm Eater, Nymris, Oona's Trickster, and Ghen, Arcanum Weaver where being a control deck and interacting with the opponents with answers was the main goal of the deck.

Or my Neheb, the Worthy deck has a central discard/control theme. Legolas, Counter of Kills has a lot of kill spells to pump up Legolas and a lot of counterspells to protect him. My cleric tribal deck has more interaction but is more midrange. Kaalia of the Vast I ran a lot of board wipes and tried to get Avacyn, Angel of Hope into play, but that was the goal of the deck. I also stopped playing most of those decks because people don't like to play against control. My cleric tribal deck or Legolas voltron aren't as hardcore control, and my Neheb discard/Minotaur tribal deck isn't super strong.

TLDR: if you want to play more interaction, I think you should play a different deck. This deck is first and foremost an aggro deck, and if you cut creatures for interaction the deck will be worse at the main thing it's trying to do.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 6 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
8 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
8 months ago
MankeyFTW wrote:
8 months ago

After thinking about it some more, I think hatebears may be the way to go with this decklist. There are a lot of choices for hatebears
And then for additional stax pieces the deck has:
The tough part is deciding which cards to cut...

Maybe

+ - Charming Scoundrel only produces 1 treasure token, and the others don't trigger Eowyn the turn she comes into play, are mana intensive, and need something else on the battlefield to really be good, like Purphoros, God of the Forge or Kindred Discovery.

EDIT: I think the deck wants to go even more heavy into hatebears. Playing a hatebear on turn 2 and then 2 hatebears on turn 4 really puts pressure on our opponents and allows us to be aggressive after playing Eowyn turn 5. I played a game recently where in my opening hand I didn't have any humans that cost 1 or 2. I had already mulliganed but maybe I should have again. I played Spellseeker and was really underwhelmed with it. I'm thinking of cutting Spellseeker, Mystical Tutor, and Cyclonic Rift, which felt pretty bad when I had two opponents with a Dockside Extortionist in play. Instead of Arcane Signet I'd like to play a hatebear on turn 2. I'll still like to keep Enlightened Tutor since Urza's Incubator is the best card in the deck and Purphoros, God of the Forge and Kindred Discovery are quite strong. Maybe

- + Academy Ruins just makes sense with Urza's Incubator being the best card in the deck, I want to add hatebears, and wandering throne and Riders of the Mark have great synergy.

Updated Decklist

Decklist

Commander 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Now the deck has a great hatebears/stax suite:
I've always found Sanctifier en-Vec to be annoying to play against while playing Ravos, Soultender, Neheb, the Worthy, Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, Edgar Markov, and Ghen, Arcanum Weaver, and I was surprised looking at EDHREC's most popular commanders at how many commanders she hates on:
And I feel like Containment Priest is as relevant as ever with Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge, The Ur-Dragon, Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow, Kaalia of the Vast, Kenrith, the Returned King, Gishath, Sun's Avatar, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, Atla Palani, Nest Tender, Satoru Umezawa, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain, Captain N'ghathrod, Magda, Brazen Outlaw, Winota, Joiner of Forces, Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy, Brago, King Eternal, Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern, Sidar Jabari of Zhalfir, and Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant running around.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 6 months ago

I think you could go considerably deeper on hatebears, and I think Eowyn makes a decent shell for that. I've just zero interest in that deck.

samanater456

Post by samanater456 » 6 months ago

I've tinkered around with both the hatebear and aggro go wide styles and I think the target that hatebears put on you without maximising the damage output just makes for an awkward board state so your having to 1v3 while slowly building up a decent creature base. In my experience the explosive nature of the token go wide just has the tendency to blow people out of the water. Sure someone can boardwipe but I haven't had trouble rebuilding within 2 turns. Thats not to say stax/hatebear isn't viable…. because it is, just found the token go wide often leads to not having to 1v3. knight exemplar mvp by the way. Great card

NZB2323

samanater456 wrote:
6 months ago
I've tinkered around with both the hatebear and aggro go wide styles and I think the target that hatebears put on you without maximising the damage output just makes for an awkward board state so your having to 1v3 while slowly building up a decent creature base. In my experience the explosive nature of the token go wide just has the tendency to blow people out of the water. Sure someone can boardwipe but I haven't had trouble rebuilding within 2 turns. Thats not to say stax/hatebear isn't viable…. because it is, just found the token go wide often leads to not having to 1v3. knight exemplar mvp by the way. Great card
This must be a meta thing. My LGS has infinite combos, Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern, extra turns, ect.

I don't think playing hatebears will make me the archenemy.

And I'd argue that the MVP of the deck is Urza's Incubator, which is why I added Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, and I already had Esper Sentinel, Mother of Runes, Coppercoat Vanguard, Westfold Rider, Loran of the Third Path, Drannith Magistrate, Smothering Tithe, and Éowyn, Fearless Knight, so I figured I should go deeper into stax/hatebears.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

I was wondering why you took Cathar Commando out. The flash part is a bit opposite to what Éowyn, Fearless Knight wants, but its such a great overall card

NZB2323

duducrash wrote:
6 months ago
I was wondering why you took Cathar Commando out. The flash part is a bit opposite to what Éowyn, Fearless Knight wants, but its such a great overall card
I just like Westfold Rider, Dauntless Dismantler, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, and Loran of the Third Path better as artifact/enchantment hate.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 months ago

Professional Face-Breaker is amazing with Blade Historian or Timestream Navigator, and all those cards can be searched with Imperial Recruiter. This deck can really roll, and I never expected it to be this powerful.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

NZB2323

Professional Face-Breaker is amazing with Blade Historian or Timestream Navigator, and all those cards can be searched with Imperial Recruiter. This deck can really roll, and I never expected it to be this powerful.

I'm surprised this deck isn't more popular. #271 on EDHREC, but it's a LOTR precon, Jeskai is a popular color combo, and human tribal is popular. The Commander creates tokens and draw, and is a beatstick with first strike.

The deck really has everything you'd want in a deck. Ramp in Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort, knight of the white orchid, professional face-breaker, Urza's Incubator, grand arbiter Augustin IV, hatebears in dauntless dismantler, sanctifier en-vec, containment priest, and Drannith Magistrate, finishers in Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Riders of the Mark, Forth Eorlingas!, buffs in coppercoat vanguard, Shared Animosity, Blade Historian, and Greymond, Avacyn's Stalwart, protection in mother of runes, flawless maneuver, deflecting swat, and Fierce Guardianship, draw in esper sentinel, rhystic study, Boromir, Gondor's Hope, and Kindred Discovery, tutors in recruiter of the guard and imperial recruiter, removal in swords to plowshares, path to exile, westfold rider, Bounty Agent, Loran of the Third Path, and Eowyn, fearless knight, token generators that enable Eowyn in worthy knight, Hero of Precinct One, and Lossanarch Captain, plus the best white weenie in EDH in Serra Ascendant.

I think this is my best deck. It's been beating my infinite combo Kavu deck in games of 1 vs. 1, which isn't the best infinite combo deck, but still.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

NZB2323

What do you guys think of Idol of Oblivion in this deck just for the card draw?
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
I wouldn't include it without a lot more token support. As a card looking to "combo" with Eowyn, I don't want my draw being predicated on resolving my 5 mana commander who ALSO has requirements to enable tokens/draw.

NZB2323

yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
I wouldn't include it without a lot more token support. As a card looking to "combo" with Eowyn, I don't want my draw being predicated on resolving my 5 mana commander who ALSO has requirements to enable tokens/draw.
Yeah, but the deck should be running token support to trigger Eowyn in Hero of Precinct One, Worthy Knight, Thraben Doomsayer, Lossarnach Captain, and Outlaws' Merriment. Plus there are other token generators in Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Riders of the Mark, and Forth Eorlingas!.

However, I'm not sure what to cut for it, Eowyn already provides card advantage, and it doesn't help either of Eowyn's triggers.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

Would it be better than Tocasia's Welcome for this build?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”