The Community Deck Build Project v5.0b

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

I agree with everything Dunharrow said :)
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

1 Blooming Marsh
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Haunted Mire
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant
1 Lair of the Hydra
1 Necroblossom Snarl
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Treetop Village
1 Urza's Saga? What's our saga package look like anyway?
1 Woodland Chasm

By my count these are cuttable. But what do you replace them with? I don't imagine we're playing 20+ basics in a 2c deck, that's kinda lame tbh 😕.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
that's kinda lame tbh
Nothing wrong with a simple and reliable landbase :)
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Definitely very against cutting Golgari Rot Farm. It's literally card advantage. It also lets you reuse Bojuka Bog. That's more than adequate, I think.

Likewise for Hive of the Eye Tyrant, I think it would also be a mistake to cut. Graveyard hate is required. The opportunity cost is extremely low, and this isn't a deck that wants Scavenger Grounds to be its low-opportunity-cost graveyard hate instead. No, it's not particularly strong graveyard hate, but it's still very worth playing. Sometimes you're going to need to get rid of something particularly annoying, and Hive will be a way to do that. You can also make deals to not get Hive killed in combat to remove a mutual problem from someone else's yard. Answers on lands are a very good thing. Repeatable answers on lands, even more so.

I would prefer Deathcap Glade over Blooming Marsh. Fast lands are just not worth the space in commander, IMHO. Not anymore. The slow lands will enter untapped almost all the time. It should be extremely rare that you need to play one on turn 1-2 while also wanting the mana that turn, given that this is singleton. If you have enough lands to keep the hand at all, you should be able to sequence them so that the slow land enters untapped. Fast lands, meanwhile, will enter tapped for the vast majority of the game. If you don't have the fast land in your top ten cards (opening seven plus three draw steps), it's coming in tapped, period. And that's assuming no turn 2 ramp.

Blighted Woodland is very good. Enters untapped and makes mana in the short term, but as soon as you have spare mana, it ramps and fixes you. I run it in every green deck I have. Well worth it.

I would recommend more basics. Somewhere between 12 and 20, depending on how greedy we want to be in terms of utility lands, is my recommendation. I basically never go below 10 basics, though. Even in 5c, I usually run 2 of each. But then, I'm addicted to Thawing Glaciers, which we're not running (and will not be running, I suspect), so....
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Did we not put Buried Alive in?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I was low on sleep yesterday so I didn't get to this (but I had a very successful date and we both liked the other's company so yay...I know, a walking veritable Magic Encyclopedia on a date, what is this sorcery right?) so I took the time to re-evaluate the mana including westvale abbey which at least doesn't seem as awful given Ishkanah largely pays for it. Saga also only has three targets (bauble, ring, clamp) so I think that is a cut but maybe this is wrong. I'm gonna post the list in the link below because moxfield formatting isn't very compatible with the forum deck builder as a straight copy/paste job.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/BL1i1fGKzEmeiArZL_HVUQ

See, I can try to adapt to what people are saying.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Did we not put Buried Alive in?
No one did. What lines would we pursue with this $6 uncommon though?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I was low on sleep yesterday so I didn't get to this (but I had a very successful date and we both liked the other's company so yay...I know, a walking veritable Magic Encyclopedia on a date, what is this sorcery right?) so I took the time to re-evaluate the mana including westvale abbey which at least doesn't seem as awful given Ishkanah largely pays for it. Saga also only has three targets (bauble, ring, clamp) so I think that is a cut but maybe this is wrong. I'm gonna post the list in the link below because moxfield formatting isn't very compatible with the forum deck builder as a straight copy/paste job.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/BL1i1fGKzEmeiArZL_HVUQ

See, I can try to adapt to what people are saying.
Lands look a lot better to me now!

When is date #2?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Haha, she's a guidance counselor at a middle school so I'm trying to get our schedules to sync up. I haven't mentioned it yet, but I'd like to take her to this go-kart and mini golf place over spring break.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'm proud of this and how we came together to put this into it's own little world 🙃

And congrats 3drinks, I'm sooooooo happy for you!! 😍

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Haha, she's a guidance counselor at a middle school so I'm trying to get our schedules to sync up. I haven't mentioned it yet, but I'd like to take her to this go-kart and mini golf place over spring break.
very classic date location :)

Also, I don't see much change in the last base? Yeah the Westvale Abbey is there, but still others like Necroblossom Snarl and Hive of the Eye Tyrant... I am not sure what the points to keep them were, if there were any? Those are the last ones where I am really like eehhh :rofl: but I think it's just nit-picking at this point. Few lands won't make or break the deck.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
very classic date location :)

Also, I don't see much change in the last base? Yeah the Westvale Abbey is there, but still others like Necroblossom Snarl and Hive of the Eye Tyrant... I am not sure what the points to keep them were, if there were any? Those are the last ones where I am really like eehhh :rofl: but I think it's just nit-picking at this point. Few lands won't make or break the deck.
I think he removed the type duals and the fast land and added a couple basics. It's a small change!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”