The Community Deck Build Project v5.0b

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

What is our mana curve like? I know it matters less in EDH, but I am just wondering if we have enough cheaper CMC spells to cast.

Pattern of Rebirth, I like the idea and it seems cheap (money wise), but outside of Spiders do we have enough creates that share a type for this to be reliable? Or are we looking for a combo piece with it?

I agree with the sentiment that Craterhoof Behemoth is boring. I'd rather just play Triumph of the Hordes, but neither would be best option. The idea was to use graveyard and Delirium to win through loops, not mass attacking,

Junji, the Midnight Sky, I like this guy, yay from me. Reminds me I should have a look at the Neon Dynasty Legends more, I am so behind on new cards :rofl: it could pair nicely with Pattern to get Kokusho, the Evening Star that is already in deck.

Definitely no from me on Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, such a disgusting card. If you can't win on the turn you play it, it just turns the whole game sour. This isn't an cEDH, or at least high power, deck that I'd expect to see cards like this.

Living Death seems cool with this deck. It always makes games more interesting.

Nay from me on Eternal Witness. It is a classic but we already have Timeless Witness. Looking at the numbers the deck has 20 creatures and 20 spells (instant and sorceries), but maybe we could use bit more artifacts and enchantments? Just thinking how reliably we can turn on Delirum. If it is recursion we are looking for I'd be considering Dryad's Revival, Splendid Reclamation and Wildest Dreams before original Witness.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I'll run the list through moxfield to get a mv scale after we have a confirmed 100, @Avacyn Believer.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I can't see a single reason to not play Eternal Witness I think! What, are we only gonna want to redraw one card? I have serious doubts to that. So yay E-Wit, there's a reason it's like the most played card in the colors!

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
there's a reason it's like the most played card in the colors
I'd wager it's the most played simply because it's the original creature like that in green (I think). I wouldn't expect that many green decks to change quickly, if ever, when alternatives come out :)

3drinks

Junji, the Midnight Sky has been confirmed. (93 cards)

Eternal Witness|5dn yay - 1 nay - 1

For today let's put @TheAmericanSpirit and @Avacyn Believer on the clock.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

I'll nominate Vessel of Nascency, since Tapping wasn't liked but I think self-mill can still help us.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
I can't see a single reason to not play Eternal Witness I think! What, are we only gonna want to redraw one card? I have serious doubts to that. So yay E-Wit, there's a reason it's like the most played card in the colors!
Agreed. I'm yea for Witness too. Timeless is fine, but the original is better, to me.
Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 year ago
I think self-mill can still help us.
Whispers Doom Whisperer

Seriously though, if no one else picks it, that's my next nomination.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Whispers Doom Whisperer

I am just conscious of the mana curve, yeah it is a great card but its 5 CMC to cast, not something you can rely on to help your deck actually work imo, while 2 CMC spells will easily give you the boost to make turns smooth.

toctheyounger

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Whispers Doom Whisperer

I am just conscious of the mana curve, yeah it is a great card but its 5 CMC to cast, not something you can rely on to help your deck actually work imo, while 2 CMC spells will easily give you the boost to make turns smooth.
Totally get it. I would never be planning to cast it, personally. Same goes for any of the fatties. If you've got reanimation, use it.

Vessel is actually pretty good though, I'll yea that.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Never thought I'd ever see the day e-wit would have a nay vote. Regrowth is good at 1G, a 2/1 is worth G easy. You learn something new everyday.

Yay Vessel, that card plays perfectly into what we do.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Yay Eternal Witness and Vessel of Nascency. I think these are both amazing options for this deck.

I don't care for Hoof, but I want to be clear why I brought it up because people brought up other finishers that don't line up with my reasoning. Toc had brought up a while ago Natural Order, but ended up suggesting Pattern of Rebirth. I actually thought Natural Order was in the deck as I misremembered the conversation, but it is not. So, Hoof is really not necessary in my opinion.
But with Pattern of Rebirth and the various reanimation spells we have, I wonder if we should consider some bigger creatures. Maybe an artifact creature? Noxious Gearhulk or an enchantment creature like Nyxbloom Ancient. Right now we have three 6 mana creatures at the top of our curve and I wonder if that's a missed opportunity.
Looking more closely...
Kokusho is a finisher under the right circumstances.
Demon of Dark Schemes can sweep the board and start reanimating things
Lord of the Forsaken can work as a sac outlet and turn on delirium. (I would argue this is better than doom whisperer in our deck)
We also have skyfisher murder that can be tutored to kill anything.

So maybe we want a creature that can draw us some cards?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Regal Force still does a lot of work for me in one of my decks. Or even Soul of the Harvest.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Totally get it. I would never be planning to cast it, personally. Same goes for any of the fatties. If you've got reanimation, use it.
Fair, I suppose this is where my lack of experience with reanimation comes in. I wouldn't know what ratio of cheap reanimation and fatties to look for. Do we class this deck as reanimation, or Delirium with reanimation elements?
aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Never thought I'd ever see the day e-wit would have a nay vote. Regrowth is good at , a 2/1 is worth easy. You learn something new everyday.
E-wit is objectively good, but is it the best option for this deck? It is a low CMC body that can bring back any card to hand... but why double up on something we already have? There will be times you wish you had one more or to use, so why not go for something cheaper to cast? Even Noxius Revival would be my pick over e-wit at this point. Or, Wildest Dreams... for the same casting cost as e-wit you will still get one card back, but it has potential to go much higher than that if in later game you can produce a lot of mana (which this deck definitely has potential to do). In this deck it wouldn't help with Delirium but not every card has to if we were actually considering the Dreams or the Revival.

That is how I look at e-wit. I don't look at it as a no-consideration must-have staple. Especially not when we already have a card that does the exact same thing, when additional question of 'how many of these effects will be too many' will present itself, to me at least anyway.
Yes, definitely more card draw.

Dunharrow

In a deck with 3 altars and a Grave Pact EWit has to be better than the non-creature regrowths.
Shigeki, Jukai Visionary and Nostalgic Dreams seem to me the only options that could be better than Ewit and that's just because they enable delirium.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Shigeki, Jukai Visionary and Nostalgic Dreams seem to me the only options that could be better than Ewit and that's just because they enable delirium.
Always good to learn of new useful cards, I'd definitely take them over e-wit :)

3drinks

I think Vessel of Nascency and Eternal Witness|5dn have been confirmed by my count? (95 cards)

For today, let's put @toctheyounger and myself on the clock. And since I've mentioned it a few times already, I'm just gonna make it an official nomination; Ransack the Lab.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

@3drinks I am confused, didn't you just nominate EWit?

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
@3drinks I am confused, didn't you just nominate EWit?
Previous cycle. I've been alternating putting myself at the end and then at the start of a cycle, according to my participant list. Really, I try to plan myself around the weekend when people aren't on as much.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

Yeah my aforementioned nomination stands.

Doom Whisperer

Fixes our draws if nothing else, good body for a good cost. Fixes our yard too. I can personally attest to this being quality reanimation fodder.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'll yay Doom Whisperer! It's limited only by our own life in it's effectiveness and that is powerful selection.

I'm okay with ransack the lab. I'm not wowed by it but it is good at it's job and we want to do it's job. I feel comfortable giving this a yay too.

Dunharrow

Yay Ransack

Doom Whisperer is a good body, but I haven't played with it enough. I always felt like it looked better than it was. Like, I would activate it, see a card I liked, bin the other card. then it would die. Interested in seeing how other people feel about it.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Sorry, was off not paying attention again. One of the downsides of this format is that I have to check in pretty much every day, and I can be expected to forget from time to time. Anyway, definitely yea to E-Wit, in case there's any doubt about it having enough votes. It was going to be my next nomination if 3drinks didn't get to it first. The rationale is that it's a creature that brings back arbitrary cards, where a lot of our recursion just gets creatures. If we can fit in one more, or if my nomination is still live (I won't be upset if it isn't), Shigeki would also be excellent. Shigeki would enable ridiculous grindy recursion loops, which I think would be awesome, but even just a second regrowth on a body is worth a lot here I think. It's not getting into "too many copies" territory for a delirium deck until you're nominating Praetor's Counsel, IMHO.

Yea to Doom Whisperer as well. Graveyard filling, topdeck manipulation, and a big body for a relatively low cost is great. Especially because surveilling costs no mana.

Ransack the Lab is solid card selection. I'd honestly like a bit more outright card advantage, but this probably makes the cut.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

3drinks

Ransack the Lab has it's three votes. Doom Whisperer is 2-0 in favour. That brings us to 96 cards. Sure, I'll allow the late Shigeki pick, especially since we're at first and goal.

We're at the final buzzer, so the potential last two to be placed on the clock will be...@Dunharrow and @aliciaofthevast.

Doom Whisperer yay - 2 nay - 0
Shigeki, Jukai Visionary yay - 0 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Yay Doom Whisperer and Shegeki. and Ransack.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

I'll yea Shigeki. I've never used it before but I've heard good things so let's give it a spin.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”