The Community Deck Build Project v8.0

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 9 months ago

okay, I'm sold

Yay Bloodchief Ascension and Yay Ewit

3 drops do sound important. So does raw card draw.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 9 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
9 months ago
I think we need a) more creatures and b) more three drops. We have a plethora of dorks to hit three mana on turn 2, so if we decide it's not advantageous to run Virtus out we have a back up plan. Thus, my nomination is Eternal Witness. Yeah it ain't coming out on turn 2 but it's a generally solid card. I'll have more interesting suggestions later maybe.
Following the same logic my nomination is Liliana's Specter. It's a three drop and it works with our plan.

Yay on Witness.
I won't vote on Ascension, I am not sure about that. Soft nay perhaps?

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 9 months ago

Ascension has been confirmed, as has E-Wit with my confirming vote.

I have my reservations to lili's spec. Is each opponent discards worth the irrelevant body? It's not random nor targeted so doesn't this really read as "each opponent pitches their reanimate target"? I think this is a valid concern. Contrast to Cunning Lethemancer that procs and re-procs the discard. Fell Specter is a one time but then punishes the other ancillary discard we do run. Needle Specter re-procs the discard and is walking manslaughter with any kind of power boost.

To me, Liliana's Specter is a measured, careful step back from all of these. And I believe it's a bit too careful, in order to make the list. And that's why I nay the card.

For today (or tomorrow, pending low activity Sundays) let's put @toctheyounger and @cheonice on the clock.

Bloodchief Ascension yay - 3 nay - 2
Eternal Witness yay - 3 nay - 0

Liliana's Specter yay - 0 nay - 1

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 9 months ago

Ok, three-drops. We have some very potent options here: Black Market Connections does nearly everything any deck could ever want: Card draw, acceleration, creatures. Ohran Viper would be another near unblockable saboteur. Nighthawk Scavenger would be a stupidly efficient beatdown creature. Tome of Legends is a lot slower, but should draw us a bunch of cards nontheless.

Another thing I want to talk about is Reanimation. While we aren't a reanimator deck, we do discard a lot of stuff as do our opponents. Maybe we can utilise all the graveyards. Reanimate can access everybodies grave and is really cost efficient. Even if we just grab a etb removal creature or some carddraw it's probably good enough. Therefore, Reanimate is my nomination for today.

I'm with 3drinks on Lili's Specter. It does not feel right here. Nay.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 9 months ago

I'd yay reanimate. And nay that specter. I don't imagine any time I'm happy paying three for that.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 9 months ago

I'm not hugely sold on Reanimate. Good card in general, but outside of Gary what are we getting with it? I know it gets opponents' stuff but that isn't reliable.

My nomination is Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar. Honestly I won't be crushed if it doesn't make the cut, but if we're wanting to connect, we could do worse. The particular keywords it grants aren't anything to scoff at for us.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Worth noting, I think Fathis doesn't actually change the equation with Gorm as it already has menace. And Virtus already has deathtouch. I need context here, @toctheyounger, on why we should play this over, say, Anara, Wolvid Familiar.

I'll yay Reanimate, which is as commonplace as night's whisper|5dn in my decks.

I think we need more discussion before putting the next players on the clock.

Liliana's Specter yay - 0 nay - 3
Reanimate yay - 2 nay - 0
Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar yay - 0 nay - 0

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
9 months ago
Worth noting, I think Fathis doesn't actually change the equation with Gorm as it already has menace. And Virtus already has deathtouch. I need context here, @toctheyounger, on why we should play this over, say, Anara, Wolvid Familiar.

I'll yay Reanimate, which is as commonplace as night's whisper|5dn in my decks.

I think we need more discussion before putting the next players on the clock.

Liliana's Specter yay - 0 nay - 3
Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar yay - 0 nay - 0
Honestly, I didn't have a pick off the top of my head and was looking for a way to maximize our swings. Card is ok, but I thought about it overnight and even something like Garruk's Uprising, or even Rancor is way better. Trample and deathtouch are really good together. We can just nay the cat if you like, I had a long ass weekend and didn't have a great pick to bring up.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Rancor would make a lot of sense and it turns anything we have into a clock! Maybe edit that in so I can yay it 🙃

3drinks

Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar yay - 0 nay - 1
toctheyounger wrote:
9 months ago
Honestly, I didn't have a pick off the top of my head and was looking for a way to maximize our swings. Card is ok, but I thought about it overnight and even something like Garruk's Uprising, or even Rancor is way better. Trample and deathtouch are really good together. We can just nay the cat if you like, I had a long ass weekend and didn't have a great pick to bring up.
I think we would need a reverse uprising, like something that draws on power three or less. Rancor would be a cool clock, as Lish agreed with. It's your pick though.

Let's put @aliciaofthevast and @Henlock on the clock today.

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
9 months ago
Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar yay - 0 nay - 1
toctheyounger wrote:
9 months ago
I think we would need a reverse uprising, like something that draws on power three or less. Rancor would be a cool clock, as Lish agreed with. It's your pick though.

Let's put @aliciaofthevast and @Henlock on the clock today.
Yeah I think I was just reaching for 3 drops as Goose mentioned. I can't see anything else stellar that fits, off the top of my head at least. Let's switch to Rancor. We've got lots of deathtouchers and saboteur triggers, deathtouch and trample is a potent mix, why not?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 9 months ago

Rancor Yay
And I'll confirm Reanimate. I don't know if it is optimal, but I love stealing opponents' toys.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 9 months ago

I nominate Spawnwrithe as a backup fast drop. An early spawnwrithe can mean.serious bussiness.

Yay to rancor

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 9 months ago

Yay to both Rancor and Spawnwrithe.

3drinks

Reanimate is confirmed. Rancor will be confirmed. I'll even yay Spawnwrithe, man that's a blast from the past. I hope Lish remembers she has a pick on the table cause we're close to completion, I know she hasn't been too active with this heat advisory we're in.

We're at 96 cards, potentially 97 with 'writhe, 98 if Lish makes her pick, and 99 with my pick. With the next player on the clock, which we'll put @TheGildedGoose as we start a new cycle, that could top us off. We're very close.

I'll nominate Scourge of the Skyclaves. I reckon it's fairly easy to leverage a Death's Shadow that is Scale Up'd for commander.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5OTQKDJqlk2QqS3zRJp9eA

Spawnwrithe yay - 2 nay - 0
Scourge of the Skyclaves yay - 0 nay - 0

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Hmmm. I'm so sorry guys! How about Bloodthirsty Blade?! Goading the most threatening blocker ensures someone needs three other bodies to stop the Virtus trigger. I think that's gonna be my pick 🙃

I'll yay Spawhwrithe too, and I think the demon is gonna be pretty okay.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 9 months ago

Unexpected double today. Yay.

Well, we're coming to the end of the deck, and it's easier to see the holes. Why not Necropotence?

3drinks

Spawnwrithe got confirmed in. I'm not going to put anyone on the clock until these are confirmed/denied as we're potentially at one hundred exactly. So let's get some conversation going.

I see where we're going with the blade, although it doesn't help us swing on turn, only subsequent turns. It's probably still good enough, but the timing is a bit sus. I think I can cautiously yay but if it doesn't make it then I won't be surprised.

I am always hot and cold on Necro, usually related to it's intense pip rate or my inability to loot through it. And since we're playing enough symmetrical discard, that last line of text is not insignificant. I think I am too hesitant to yay it here for that, and would rather a Skeletal Scrying in it's stead.

Spawnwrithe yay - 3 nay - 0
Scourge of the Skyclaves yay - 1 nay - 0
Bloodthirsty Blade yay - 1 nay - 0
Necropotence (I am surprised it fell back below $20usd) yay - 0 nay - 1

toctheyounger

I'll yea Necro. Good card is good, no reason for it not to be here. We don't really care about our yard so it's almost entirely upside.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Anyone ever had their Necro Pithing Needle'd? Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome but I can't run it after that, so thanks 3drinks for that 🙄😐.

I bet Greed would do us the same role without having rather nasty side effects if we're being honest.

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
9 months ago
Anyone ever had their Necro Pithing Needle'd? Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome but I can't run it after that, so thanks 3drinks for that 🙄😐.

I bet Greed would do us the same role without having rather nasty side effects if we're being honest.
FWIW Greed gets got by Pithing Needle too.

I'm still in on Necro. It's so, so much better than Greed. Like not even close. And we're not really interested in our yard anyway, so the downside might as well be flavour text in most scenarios.

3drinks

aliciaofthevast wrote:
9 months ago

Happy to help! Hey, at least I didn't weld an early Possessed Portal onto the board... ;)

3drinks

With no discussion am I to assume these last three slots are good to complete the deck?

3drinks

So that's a hundred cards. Updated to cheapest suggests the retail price is $338usd. Is this the final iteration?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5OTQKDJqlk2QqS3zRJp9eA

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 9 months ago

I think it looks fine, to be honest. I was under the impression we had few creatures, but seeing the list 28 seems like a fine number.
One thing we're missing is graveyard hate, given that we'll be feeding them it might bite us back. Probably a couple of deserts and Scavenger Grounds and Bojuka Bog?
I think we're also a good fit for Agadeem's Awakening // Agadeem, the Undercrypt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”