The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I was hoping someone would nominate savage beating so it wouldn't table back to me. Yay.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I gotta yay savage beating. It's so....savage!

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week! rimshot.gif

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Yay to beating!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Hehehe...beating.

Yay.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Henlock

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Hehehe...beating.

Yay.

😅😅😅

3drinks

Mind Stone|brc and Savage Beating have been confirmed. For this Sunday we'll put @Henlock and @aliciaofthevast on the clock.

Wooooowwwww I can't believe savage beating is $20. -_-

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Henlock

I am going to nominate Two-Handed Axe // Sweeping Cleave. Velo can cast the adventure for double strike if it comes up and the power doubling is very nice.

I"ve been looking the new.releases and Uncivil Unrest looks like something we could use. It with an extra combat, power doubling or double strike gives us a kill, as we would always choose the counter. What do you think?

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Oh I'm up? Okayokayokay I kinda wanted to go with Invoke Justice but I actually think we'll leverage Young Pyromancer more? I guess it is so much lower impact than mentor but screw it, young pyro, final answer, let's gooooo!!

I'll yay two-handed axe!!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Yea for Axe and Young Peezy, both easy ins.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Henlock

Yay to pyromancer

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
You should look at Aggravated Assault these days, it's even worse.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay axe and pyromancer
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

3drinks

Two-Handed Axe and Young Pyromancer have both been confirmed.

And rounding out the cycle of nominees is @toctheyounger, and then kicking off the next cycle let's put...@RxPhantom on the clock.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
You should look at Aggravated Assault these days, it's even worse.
Oh, that one I know. It's why I picked up a Spanish copy and haven't looked back. But at least I get AggAss, it's fairly generically useful. Savage Beating is much worse in most situations and by worse I mean not as generically applicable. Both could stand for the current reprint standards where they get four iterations with different art and border treatment and plummet into the toilet though.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Ok ok ok...I'm kinda drawing a blank. I kinda wanna say Lightning Greaves but that's a boring staple. I kinda wanna say Lorehold Command because I think it'll be cool and fun. I kinda wanna say Twinferno because it's cool, flexible and cheap....

Twinferno final answer.

toctheyounger

I can get behind Twinferno, yea from me.

I'm not sure this one fits well but hear me out. Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty. Early game it helps us get our dragon online, free value from flips, and if we need good flips from our dragon we have option of casting the backside to clear topdeck chaff. I'm kind of on the 'I don't have any further ideas currently for topdeck flips so let's suggest support tech'. Sure there's Urabrask and Storm-Kiln Artist, but I feel like those are more dedicated to spellslinger decks where Birgi is super versatile and flexible. She's been amazing whenever I've played her myself.
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Oh, that one I know. It's why I picked up a Spanish copy and haven't looked back. But at least I get AggAss, it's fairly generically useful. Savage Beating is much worse in most situations and by worse I mean not as generically applicable. Both could stand for the current reprint standards where they get four iterations with different art and border treatment and plummet into the toilet though.
Oh totally. They're both one reprint away from being sub $10.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'm so glad you didn't say the command cause it was talked about earlier and dismissed as not being enough!

Twinferno, hmm, idk! You have to cast it blind to live the dream, or you freecast it because you have something else in hand. It feels like there's another way to do this I think? I'm not sold, so maybe you can sell me on it Rx?!

3drinks

I'm gonna need you to sell me on why Birgi is more than a r Trained Armodon. How many spells are we expecting to cast like this when is it, say, more of a rebate than cloud key|brc?

I'm gonna nay that until further discussion.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I'm gonna need you to sell me on why Birgi is more than a Trained Armodon. How many spells are we expecting to cast like this when is it, say, more of a rebate than cloud key?
Well, the additional mana stacks where Cloud Key doesn't. I can see turns where we sequence rocks into Big Score type spells into more. Sure, we're not storming off, but let's be honest, our commander is 7 to cast. Anything we can to do get him in early helps.

Aside from that our curve is...fine, at best. We can work around it, but stacking up red mana is nothing to scoff at and I can't guarantee it's going to help, but like, there's a pretty good chance it does.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
I'm so glad you didn't say the command cause it was talked about earlier and dismissed as not being enough!

Twinferno, hmm, idk! You have to cast it blind to live the dream, or you freecast it because you have something else in hand. It feels like there's another way to do this I think? I'm not sold, so maybe you can sell me on it Rx?!
I have to say that I'm not even sold on Twinferno. I just couldn't think of anything, though now I wish I'd picked Dual Casting.

3drinks

Looks like there's some conversation still so no confirms to announce. But we'll add @Dunharrow and @Henlock to the clock and see what brews.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I'm gonna need you to sell me on why Birgi is more than a Trained Armodon. How many spells are we expecting to cast like this when is it, say, more of a rebate than cloud key?
Well, the additional mana stacks where Cloud Key doesn't. I can see turns where we sequence rocks into Big Score type spells into more. Sure, we're not storming off, but let's be honest, our commander is 7 to cast. Anything we can to do get him in early helps.

Aside from that our curve is...fine, at best. We can work around it, but stacking up red mana is nothing to scoff at and I can't guarantee it's going to help, but like, there's a pretty good chance it does.
I view this thing as a lightning rod, not unlike Goblin Electromancer in storm. Anyone with half a brain will not let this table because of the potential Scale Up it represents despite that we're not leveraging it super hard. You'd need to cast two instants/sorceries to get (a backloaded) rr back for the turn where cloud key (yeah, it needs to be set to a card type, sure) nets 1 but it's front loaded. Birgi is acting more like a rebate than a discount and as such, Birgi isn't helping us ramp per say as much as it's helping us double spell. While cloud key is helping us ramp, even if we just name creature to cast our dragon for six instead of seven.

That's why I don't think Birgi is the right tool for the job in this deck.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I have to say that I'm not even sold on Twinferno. I just couldn't think of anything, though now I wish I'd picked Dual Casting.
I could get behind this, tbh. It's a bit fragile, but it'll do the thing for sure.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I wanted to nominate Sword of Feast and Famine, but it is out of the price range. I like that it allows us to play our expensive spells pre-combat (or mid-combat) and then hold up interaction.
But... 42$. Not sure if it is as easy to justify as Yawgmoth in our previous builds. Maybe we can discuss that and come back to it. If it is too expensive, there are other swords that work well with our general.

So for now, I will nominate Ken, Burning Brawler. there is a universes within (Aisha of Sparks and Smoke) coming.
I think Ken works well with what our deck is already trying to do.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I view this thing as a lightning rod, not unlike Goblin Electromancer in storm. Anyone with half a brain will not let this table because of the potential Scale Up it represents despite that we're not leveraging it super hard. You'd need to cast two instants/sorceries to get (a backloaded) back for the turn where cloud key (yeah, it needs to be set to a card type, sure) nets but it's front loaded. Birgi is acting more like a rebate than a discount and as such, Birgi isn't helping us ramp per say as much as it's helping us double spell. While cloud key is helping us ramp, even if we just name creature to cast our dragon for six instead of seven.
I respect the nay, but I do think your reasoning is a little close to dying to Doom Blade. Sure, card is strong, but that's more of a reason to run it than not. You've gotta take the chance that people have bad threat assessment, because frankly quite often they do. I could've suggested Squire because it's the opposite of a lightning rod, but that's because it's, well...a mud rod, I guess. Card is mud.

It's also worth noting that Birgi triggers from any spell, not just instants and sorceries. On cast, too, not resolution and that mana lasts all turn. It essentially makes our commander cost 6, our Sol Ring nothing, our cantrips one less, and gives us the opportunity to play multiple spells in a turn. To me, the value of our build is that we can do that with one being free per Velo swing. That swing alone isn't enough to get us there, it's going to be quite often we're going to want to follow up with further action. Playing multiple spells in a turn, even in a non-storm, non-infinite way, is how games are won. Like imagine casting an extra combat spell from Velo and having that free spell give you enough mana to follow up with an Assault Strobe or Temur Battle Rage from the hand. It just gives us options, and the very real opportunity to shave whole turns off of casting our big boi.

I respect the no for sure, you do you, I just wanted to fully elucidate my reasoning. Apologies for being argumentative.
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
So for now, I will nominate Ken, Burning Brawler.
I'd rather a Street Fighter card than a poor replica created purely to sate the masses, but otherwise I'm in. Yea from me. Mini Velo is nice, prowess is nice. I like that it gives us options other than manipulating our top deck too.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Ohmygosh, I loved the street fighter cards so yay, yay, all the yay for Ken, Burning Brawler!

I think that toc is right, and 3drinks isn't used to double spelling with all his fancy null rods and stax pieces. And that maybe this dragon is a tougher nut to crack than any of us had considered. I've never used Birgi before to know, so what's the plan? How many spells do we need to cast/turn to make it worth? Do we need to be on Past in Flames/Underworld Breach? I guess, what's the average mana we expect to generate off Birgi each turn, and how consistently does it produce near that amount? With our present list, not Christmasland. Admittedly I'm amused by the prospect of a thrill of possibility < seize the spoils < big score line and would want to know how we can make that line happen as frequent as we can.

Okay I'm gonna stop now cause I just got like thirty cards I wanna pitch 🙃👀

Henlock

Alright

I"ll yay Birgi, I do agree we need help to be able to double spell. I would actually prefer Storm-Kiln Artist in that role, since we can save the treasure for further turns, but Birgi"s other side can be specially important in helping us digging for what we need when we"re close to winning position.

I"ll also yay Twinferno. Most copy effects don"t work with Velo. I am ok with playong it like @aliciaofthevast has pointed. Double strike stapled to other effects can be very good, too. Ken and extra combats make it better, too

I am also yaying Ken. He looks like a great buddy to Velo, who will provide him a prowess trigger to have us better cast stuff that got stranded in our hands.

After so much yaying, I am nominating Uncivil Unrest. It + extra combat= kill. It+double strike=kill. It + power-doubling= kill. Also the haste can ne very good for our.other guys.
Last edited by Henlock 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Do we need to be on Past in Flames/Underworld Breach?
I don't think so. I have this card in two decks that both wanna move quickly-ish (Dihada, Binder of Wills and Eruth, Tormented Prophet. They do both run Breach, but I've never had Birgi and Breach out simultaneously. Honestly, Birgi can go crazy things, and just on its own it's still pretty wild. Here, I think it'll be the difference between 'Mind Stone, pass" and "Mind Stone, Thrill of Possibility, Gift of Estates pass" which still isn't nothing. If the minimum it does is move our clock up to casting Velo a turn or so, which I think it will, to me it's worth a punt.

Henlock got in before this post with a nomination, I am all for Uncivil Unrest. Yea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”