[ELD] New Planeswalker OKO

Simto
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

I'm hype if he's Sultai, but also cool if he's Temur. Two of my favourite colour combos, so I'm happy either way. Hope the card itself is strong.

In terms of his looks, it's apparently ok if it's a dude to ogle but oh boy if it's the other way around! lol. Also, it's just a drawing lol, so relax.

RainyDay
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

If he was sultai, he'd hit all the classic faeries colors. While it's true red is usually the trickster color, lorwynn/shadowmoor faeries played the trickster while staying UB

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

He's the kind of trickster that uses his tricks to inflict harm/cause distress (based on the article) which a more black bent to trickster than red, which would be more for the amusement and hell of it. I made this comment on MTG Sal, but his back story is similar to Vraska's, both were tortured which caused their spark to ignite and both want to get back at the one who did the torturing. Vraska got her revenge by killing Isperia, while Oko is more into sowing distress with his schemes and pranks in an attempt to destabilize a supposedly peaceful plane (I'm sure there is more to the story regarding the plane than we've been given). Oko could feasibly be a view into what Vraska could have become if the events on Ixalan did not happen

Looking at the colors from a balance point of view, Temur is incredibly unlikely given the presence of a mono-red walker in Rowan and an at least partial (likely pure) blue walker in Will (this would depend on the role he plays in the story, as if he is playing a more courtly, princely role they could ad white in). Oko being Temur would mean both of those get doubled at the expense of black and white getting nothing. Sultai is most likely if he is three color, though Oko could be Simic or Golgari if relegated to two colors.

Colors, as I see them:
Rowan -
Will - or
Oko - BGU, GU, or BG
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Isn't Garruk in the set also? Also, since Will and Rowan are looking for their father who is a king they might both have white. Color combinations could be:

Rowan: RW
Will: UW
Garruk: BG

That means that for both color balance and story wise, Oko could be any color combination that doesn't include white.

I mean, someone who is conceited, mysterious, clever, and vain could be Grixis, Temur, or Sultai. Who knows? Maybe they'll make him 4 colored with every color except for white.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Isn't Garruk in the set also? Also, since Will and Rowan are looking for their father who is a king they might both have white. Color combinations could be:

That means that for both color balance and story wise, Oko could be any color combination that doesn't include white.

I mean, someone who is conceited, mysterious, clever, and vain could be Grixis, Temur, or Sultai. Who knows? Maybe they'll make him 4 colored with every color except for white.
Oko is the third walker in the set, Garruk, while in the story, does not have a card in the set. That said, he can still be one of the Brawl deck commanders, but that would not be taken into account for color balance within the 250+

Watchwolf
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Watchwolf » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago

Oko is the third walker in the set, Garruk, while in the story, does not have a card in the set. That said, he can still be one of the Brawl deck commanders, but that would not be taken into account for color balance within the 250+
Woah, when was any of this confirmed???

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Watchwolf wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago

Woah, when was any of this confirmed???
On Maro's blog there are these two responses: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/search/oko
Up until this point, the walkers on the planeswalker decks have appeared in the set their walker deck deck was a part of, save for one (Vraska's in Rivals of Ixalan). We already know both Will and Rowan are in the set, giving us two out of our three planeswalkers, and with Maro's comment on his blog about Oko having a card, along with him confirming that there will be only three walkers with one of them being new in the set (http://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/3- ... s-Revealed), means that Garruk will not be in the actual set, but again as a possible Brawl deck card.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

I'm disappointed nobody has made a Jojo reference yet, what with Oko having Hermit Purple (and Blue, and Green) in his art.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
YawgmothPrime wrote:
4 years ago
First, he's hot, like hotter than Yawgmoth hot. I would never cheat on Yawgmoth, but...
Obviously the most important question: Would you still date Yawgmoth after he became a nonphysical god of black mana?
I mean, who wouldn't?
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Up until this point, the walkers on the planeswalker decks have appeared in the set their walker deck deck was a part of, save for one (Vraska's in Rivals of Ixalan).
There's also Nissa in Hour of Devastation, and Chandra in Dominaria.

The more important point, though, is that it's only ever happened to established 'walkers. Any time a planeswalker makes their debut, they either get a card in the set proper, or in both the set proper and a planeswalker deck.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Up until this point, the walkers on the planeswalker decks have appeared in the set their walker deck deck was a part of, save for one (Vraska's in Rivals of Ixalan).
There's also Nissa in Hour of Devastation, and Chandra in Dominaria.

The more important point, though, is that it's only ever happened to established 'walkers. Any time a planeswalker makes their debut, they either get a card in the set proper, or in both the set proper and a planeswalker deck.
Thank you for catching my mistake. You do raise good point as well

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

Post by Lucifer, Sapere Aude » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
On another note...
...Women in magic showing some skin is a big no-no, but men can almost show their pubic hair no-problem...
Riiiiight...
Oh my god not this crap again. On sally this started a 5 page thread of nonsense about sexism and homosexuality and homophobia. And based on what? Only because a fictional fantasy character is shirtless, and we are even talking about a prankster fae, which in the lore are typically totally naked (so one could even argue that WotC was pudic and conservative with him). Please, give me a %$#% break, christ. If you want the heterosexual fanservice, play Force of Will, because I don't know you, but I don't play Magic for how much a piece of a children game cardboard can sexually arouse me.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

To be fair, it's 13+. Not a kids game. They play it pretty safe but haven't been shy about having sexy male and female characters equally. There's nothing wrong with sexy characters and there's nothing wrong with modest characters. Both have a place in the game and in life. They also pretty plainly mention sex in the lore, so a shirtless guy and Liliana showing cleavage isn't exactly scandalous.

I very strongly believe Oko will be Sultai. He is vain and doesn't care about other people's emotions (black), a mischievous trickster (blue), and feels strongly about his true nature (green).
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Odin_

Post by Odin_ » 4 years ago

I'm not sure if I could call him a trickster because from first two chapters of Bewildered Quest we can see that he is not doing it for fun. He can be R (although this will be very surprising for Fey) because of vengeance, could be B because of used methods. Definitely he is not from any plane we know. We'll see how good antagonist he could be.

Whiffypenguin

Post by Whiffypenguin » 4 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Whiffypenguin wrote:
4 years ago
I was a little shocked at the response he got from twitter. It was very sexual. Maybe i'm wrong, but isn't this like the exact same thing as sexulaized women? What makes distilling this interesting character down to how many abs he has ok?
What's wrong with people being attracted to art? I think him being good looking is part of his character. Ted Bundy used his good looks to seduce women and trap them. Liliana used her looks to manipulate Jace. The Rakdos cult definitely has a S&M thing going on, and that's part of their appeal, and part of the reason why the Azorius hate them so much. You can't tell a red character to dress conservatively or a black character to not use their looks to get what they want. Green characters may be naked just because of nature. If Wotc made a card with a member of the Azorius half-naked I'd complain, but otherwise it's just part of the story.

EDIT: I think sexualizing women is wrong if all female characters were just sex objects for the purpose of the story, but if we have three dimension characters who sometimes use their sexiness to their advantage I don't don't think that's a bad thing.
i think its hypocritic to scandalize people for objectifying female characters like liliana who show skin, and then go super over the top objectifying a male character. there is a disconnect in the community

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Odin_ wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not sure if I could call him a trickster because from first two chapters of Bewildered Quest we can see that he is not doing it for fun. He can be R (although this will be very surprising for Fey) because of vengeance, could be B because of used methods. Definitely he is not from any plane we know. We'll see how good antagonist he could be.
In the Forbes article he is described as being prankster with a bent towards crueler pranks

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

Whiffypenguin wrote:
4 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Whiffypenguin wrote:
4 years ago
I was a little shocked at the response he got from twitter. It was very sexual. Maybe i'm wrong, but isn't this like the exact same thing as sexulaized women? What makes distilling this interesting character down to how many abs he has ok?
What's wrong with people being attracted to art? I think him being good looking is part of his character. Ted Bundy used his good looks to seduce women and trap them. Liliana used her looks to manipulate Jace. The Rakdos cult definitely has a S&M thing going on, and that's part of their appeal, and part of the reason why the Azorius hate them so much. You can't tell a red character to dress conservatively or a black character to not use their looks to get what they want. Green characters may be naked just because of nature. If Wotc made a card with a member of the Azorius half-naked I'd complain, but otherwise it's just part of the story.

EDIT: I think sexualizing women is wrong if all female characters were just sex objects for the purpose of the story, but if we have three dimension characters who sometimes use their sexiness to their advantage I don't don't think that's a bad thing.
i think its hypocritic to scandalize people for objectifying female characters like liliana who show skin, and then go super over the top objectifying a male character. there is a disconnect in the community
In fact I believe that those who are scandalized for nudism and sensuality in fictional art are just plain bigots that have a problem with sexuality and need to search the excuse of objectification to justify their sexophobia. A nude and sensual Puck archetype character would be 100% pertinent with the lore is inspired from, and not only the fact that he may arouse sexually some people is a completely subjective thing, but even so, it's irrelevant because I can't literally see nothing wrong with it, while on the other hand I see a problem with the bigotry of some people with their will of censoring sensuality in art in the name of "objectification", which for me is a harmless non-issue, since we have nudism and sex showed in art since the ancient greek culture, and everybody live happily with it before the advent of the sexophobic christian moral, which made the cultural paradigm in western world until today.

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

Also, I 100% believe Oko is Temur. Not only because I instinctively perceived as red the pinkinsh vine on the art, but, reading the interview, only a red-based character would say that "don't care of consequences" of his actions, which is a totally red thing, even black is cautious and methodical when it comes at sacrifices.
Looking at the colors from a balance point of view, Temur is incredibly unlikely given the presence of a mono-red walker in Rowan and an at least partial (likely pure) blue walker in Will
They don't have to fit all the color balance PW characters in one set, the black and white ones can perfectly come the set after.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Lucifer, Sapere Aude wrote:
4 years ago
Looking at the colors from a balance point of view, Temur is incredibly unlikely given the presence of a mono-red walker in Rowan and an at least partial (likely pure) blue walker in Will
They don't have to fit all the color balance PW characters in one set, the black and white ones can perfectly come the set after.
Looking back, they have tried to make sure Planeswalkers within a set have little cross-over of color. This is likely the reason Angrath's first card was moved into Rivals instead of being in Ixalan, since Huatali was RW and Vraska was GB. There will obviously be exceptions, but I believe they are few.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I guess the unwritten rule of having a spark is that you're at least a 7.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Daretti proves you wrong my friend. :laugh:
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Or Aminatou :omg:
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Or Aminatou :omg:
She's way to young to tell, maybe in ten to fifteen years. :laugh:

But then there is Ravi...A really old crone, if she is even alive by now.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Am I to believe you're an expert on goblin beauty standards? :laugh:
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Tezzeret isn't exactly a handsome guy either for my standards.....

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Lucifer, Sapere Aude wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago

Tezzeret isn't exactly a handsome guy either for my standards.....
I think he's got a mechanized silver fox kind of thing going.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”