How many cards would you delete/nerf?

How many cards in all of magic's history would you prefer didn't exist (in their current form)?

zero
25%
1-20
17%
21-50
25%
51-100
4%
101-200
4%
201-500
8%
501-1000
4%
1001-2000
No votes
2001-5000
4%
5001-10000
4%
Let's do Thanos but with magic cards
4%

Total votes: 24

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
If we're changing anything, we're gonna go full Thanos and start a new game from the ground up.

I've played this game for over two decades now, and while egregious fast mana, cheap universal tutours, and Golos are obvious classic mistakes that everything is strictly better without, the fact is this game has been what I've known for so long that anything else just wouldn't be the same. Except Golos, because screw that piece of crap easy mode do all the things in all the colours hack ass bullcrap.
Fair, but Infinity Gauntlet wasn't a reboot. Now if you said Hal Jordan...

And yeah, enough Golos! One mercy of COVID is I haven't played Commander for two years and thus largely avoided that little thing I'm not going to say because of the language filter.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

I'd delete Sensei's Divining Top . I hate how often it goes long.

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

201-500.

Like others, I would do a general balancing with my time machine powers. I also don't really care about EDH, I'm just in it for theoretically giving cards a good cost-ability ratio. I'd nerf everything that is obviously undercosted to the proper cost. This includes things like Sensei's Divining Top (3 mana card) as well as overpushed mythic creatures like Doom Whisperer and Baneslayer Angel (both 7 mana cards).

I'd seek not to remove cards entirely: Black Lotus is still an amazing card at 2 mana, and Sol Ring that costs 2 and enters tapped is still a great card. Brainstorm that only draws 2 cards and puts one back is still an excellent card. Ancestral Recall becomes Concentrate and Time Walk becomes Time Warp. Demonic Tutor becomes Diabolic Tutor . Moxes cost 1 mana each and ETB tapped (still insane cards). Sword of X and Y costs an additional 1 to equip. Necropotence costs 2 life to activate. Ragavan either costs 2 mana, or drops a lot of abilities. Urza's Saga's tutor ability now costs 1 to use. Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Wrenn and Six, Teferi, Time Raveler, and Oko, Thief of Crowns would all cost one more mana. And generally speaking, creature creep would be restrained for the most pushed cards.

Lightning Bolt is an interesting question. I think it's just a touch too efficient, but it's tough to change anything without throwing it totally out of whack. The best balance would be to have it deal you 1 damage, but I think I would leave it alone to keep the text box simple. Like Force of Will, it's a card that serves to keep other cards in check.

Almost every mythic creature with pushed stats would also eat a nerf. Carnage Tyrant ? Yeah right. 8 mana or drop the hexproof. Grave Titan ? That's not how you balance 6 mana. Emrakul, the Aeons Torn ? Not acceptable at any mana cost. It CAN be countered, and annihilates for 2 instead of 6. Still ridiculous. Blightsteel Colossus ? Not acceptable at any mana cost. Make it an 8/8.

Hullbreacher abilities are a special case, and I suppose I'd generally limit it to only shutting off the first extra draw they would take.

I wouldn't really make any buffs. Nerfing cards gives room for a lot of almost-good cards to shine already. And old cards like Squire were doing their best.

With my hypothetical balances, there would still be plenty of broken interactions all over the place. But there would not be cards intentionally printed to be more powerful than the mana they cost. 5 mana is 5 mana whether it be for a common or a mythic.

At this, the banlist on formats would need to be much smaller, but there would still be problem interactions that would need removed.

However I should say that these overpowered cards have always been a feature to driving hype and chatter around the game. If they game were more correctly balanced, it's possible it would never have gotten so popular.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”