Kozilek 1.0 - How to Lose Friends and Annihilate People

Rasputin101
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
I'm building my first commander deck which happens to be Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and was curious if there has been any recent additions to the deck list. Have people been running the new Labyrinth of Skophos? I have mostly everything on the list besides a Lion's Eye Diamond and Mishra's Workshop. I have also made a list of some cards below and was curious if someone could explain why they don't run them, they all seem to work well in this deck but I haven't seen a lot of competitive deck lists with them. Also if there are any other great cards that I didn't list below please let me know.

Creatures:
Stonecoil Serpent
Walking Ballista
Junk Diver
Wurmcoil Engine

Planeswalkers:
Karn, the Great Creator
Karn, Scion of Urza

Artifacts:
Urza's Incubator
Quicksilver Amulet
Vedalken Orrery - given most decks run unwinding clock this seems like an auto include?
Sword of Feast and Famine
Mirrorworks
Hey, welcome to the forum!

First EDH deck and your going colourless. Awesome!

I don't love Labyrinth of Skophos.
To me it's no different to mystifying maze and inn most instances slightly worse as it's good to reset a creature.
I'd rather chump block on a manland than have for hold 4 and a land open in case of an attack.
Just smash that player back with Kozilek and it's less of a bother.

A lot of the cards you listed I don't run for pretty much one reason.
This deck doesn't play very many creatures.
Quicksilver Amulet won't do very much at all other than sneak in a creature during an end phase.
Both Karen's are difficult to argue a place for as their value is only any good if they stay on the field.
Given that we want to turn all our creatures sideways leaves them wide open to a counter attack and I found them not worth the mana for a single activation.
The two walkers I do run are ones that are played and activated for removal. If they hang around for a full rotation that's great but I tend not to bank on it.
I used to run the deck with Karn, the great creator and mycosynth lattice but the combo never held because the blockers weren't here to keep Karn alive

Urza's incubator does a good job at cheapening Kozilek, any ulamog you may be running but there's not enough value there.
It's kind of like the reverse of mishra's workshop. Great land but doesn't count toward Kozilek.
You can't really pay 3 and chain the incubator into anything else other than Kozilek which makes it less versatile

There's a definite argument for Walking ballista being nice and large if you pay into it with the added removal for key creatures but... I got nothing. I'll test him out! Good idea.
Edit- just remembered ballista's xx casting cost. For some reason had in my head it was x. It's a lot of mana to remove a few smaller creatures.
Yes when you're infinite mana it wins the game but there's already so many things in the deck that win the game while doing other things.

Stonecoil serpent i would say is a different story.
If you're going to play him, let's be honest, you'll play him big.
I'd rather run a blightsteel colossus for the mana you'd probably pay but I just don't have room for another massive creature because you sacrifice speed if you get an unfortunate draw.

Junk Diver seems great for recursion but I'm not sure if I would want it in my hand over any other card in the 99. Because of the rate you turn cards over by repeatedly casting Kozilek you find the redundancy in the cards.
If you've lost an untapped you'll likely draw into one quite quickly.
If you've lost a sac outlet there's usually another one at hand.
This deck is looking to go infinite as quickly as possible to close the game out and once you've hit it you can cycle your library into your graveyard and shuffle it all back in to redraw what you lost anyway.
Myr welder is one I've been meaning to test that is both better and worse than junk diver depending on the situation. Need to get round to that!
If your going to run the bird, consider myr retriever as well as or instead of.

Wurmcoil engine was in a very early iteration of the deck but got cut for something that could synergise a bit better and keep the speed up.
There's definitely argument to running more creatures and if you think that will work for you then big in. My meta is very combo heavy so to win I need to be faster. Gaining 6 life in an attack phase became less and less useful as time went on and it got cut.

Mirrorworks was in another that was in the deck for a long time. I used to print an infinite number of hasty blightsteels as a wincon but the 5 mana casting cost was another one that would slow down the game plan

Sword of feast and famine is great in most decks because they hinge on the land untapping for use in the second main. This deck generates about 70% of its fuel from the rocks rather than the lands.
The protection's great but the major upside of this card isn't as impressive as it would be in a deck designed to use mostly land as a resource.

Vedalken orrery is a very good card. Even more so in this deck due the the almost complete lack of instants. I don't run it because it never lasted a rotation and it was always 4 mana wasted. The card sticks out like a sore thumb to opponents in a deck that can be looking at tapping for 10-15 mana by turn four or five. It is always the number one card to remove and I cut it for that reason. (There's your argument for junk diver right there)

A lot of cards got axed if they were something that hung around in my hand, always being put back for soemething I drew that was better at that moment. That doesn't make them bad cards, it just got more noticeable that they were dead draws and got cut.

The list is up to date albeit untouched for quite a while.
Since kaladesh there's been very little released that impressed me enough to take a permanent spot

Tags:

East Side
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by East Side » 4 years ago

Thanks for all the Insight, I'm leaning towards a more creature based deck currently, not going Eldrazi Tribal though. I will put together a list together and maybe y'all can pick it apart and let me know what I need. Have you looked into any of the new cards from Ikoria/Commander 2020. Is there anything worthy of including in this build?

Rasputin101

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks for all the Insight, I'm leaning towards a more creature based deck currently, not going Eldrazi Tribal though. I will put together a list together and maybe y'all can pick it apart and let me know what I need. Have you looked into any of the new cards from Ikoria/Commander 2020. Is there anything worthy of including in this build?
Absolutely. Knock up a list and post it, I'd be happy to look it over.
Are you gonna run less combo in it?
Good call not going eldrazi tribal. Its a good way to get hated off the table. Maybe even out the room.

Currently the only thing in C20 that I might test is binding ornament. Its a pretty poor rock but being able to grab an extra card for 4 could be useful in a pinch to either grab an extra card or to get the top card out of the way for mystic forge.

Cryptic trilobite would have been so so good if the mana it generated could be used toward casting spells. I freaked out when I first saw it because I miss read it.

However excited I am for Ikoria for other decks, so far nothing printed as of right now is gonna go in the deck. I imagine there'll be a land or something that might slide in for testing but nothing so far.

East Side

A few more cards I conjured up, if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion? Since I am going more creatures based I've included some more possibilities. I'm also going to try and run the Karn/Mycosynth combo since I'll have quite a few more blockers. My group allows sideboards so i'll just run the mycosynth lattice in there. Would it be a bad idea to not run any wastes to include more utility? Also if I were to cut certain ramp cards, which ones would you recommend?

Artifacts:
Akroma's Memorial - If trying to lower the cmc cost, Haunted Cloak looks okay as another haste enabler
Ward of Bones - If including more Stax this seems nice
Staff of Nin
Oblivion Stone, Perilous Vault, & Lux Cannon
Tormod's Crypt
Chaos Wand
Myr Turbine

Lands:
Wasteland - would this be a better option over ghost quarter?
Arcane Lighthouse
Rishadan Port
Deserted Temple
Scorched Ruins, Lotus Vale, City of Traitors
Winding Canyons
Scavenger Grounds
Arch of Orazca, Geier Reach Sanitarium, (Mikokoro, Center of the Sea), Sea Gate Wreckage
Dark Depths
Karn's Bastion - there seem to be enough cards in this deck with counters that this seems like a nice addition
Mage-Ring Network

Creatures:
Hangarback Walker
Scrap Trawler
Steel Hellkite

Thopter Assembly - blockers/sac creatures
Myr Battlesphere - blockers/sac creatures

Platinum Angel- More stax possibly?
Platinum Emperion - seems nice to protect you from ancient tomb, mana crypt, and mana vault or if you were to include Hall of the Bandit Lord

Artisan of Kozilek
Void Winnower
It that Betrays
Emrakul, the Promised End

Runnin

Post by Runnin » 4 years ago

East Side wrote:
4 years ago

Platinum Emperion - seems nice to protect you from ancient tomb, mana crypt, and mana vault or if you were to include Hall of the Bandit Lord
From the rules: 2018-12-07 You can't pay a cost that includes the payment of any amount of life other than 0 life. However, you can choose to be dealt damage, even though that damage won't result in your life total changing.

So thats sadly a no ho when it comes to Platinum Emperion. I'm really glad you're building a colourless deck! My own is definetly my favourite deck! :D Here's my list if you want to take a look (I play the Great Distortion tho).

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek ... cepresser/

About your cards I can give you my take on them:

Akroma's Memorial - Its nice and all, I've played it before but I don't anymore because it was too clunky, I didn't get that much and its almost like I'm passing my turn after I've played this. Its fun to animate it with Karn, Silver Golem (and now the newer Karn, the Great Creator) tho so you have your own Akroma =).

Staff of Nin - I don't have it anymore, maybe I should, it can be quite good and was one of the ways I could win with infinite damage. Its still pretty good!
Oblivion Stone, Perilous Vault, & Lux Cannon - I don't run them because the deck is so permanent based, even if a extra boardwipe would be nice. This is mostly because I don't want to set myself back too much. Tho we do have the luxury of getting to draw cards with our commander. I also run more annihilating eldrazis than Rasputin101, my manacurve is a bit higher than theirs. I rely more on Ugin and All is Dust as a oneside boardwipe.

Tormod's Crypt - A card I also used to run, had this + Relic of Progenitus as mainboard graveyard hate. Now days I still have relic because it can replace itself and Scavenger Grounds, because it doesn't "take up a space" in the main like Crypt would've.

Chaos Wand - Still testing this and I'm really thinking about replacing it, but I'm not sure with what. Thats one of the things with EDH, that you often do not draw many of the cards you want to test out ^^' . I was thinking Sword of Feast and Famine since I got one laying around. That I can equip it to some of my manlands and smaller creatures for value.

Myr Turbine - A card I used to love to play, but in the end I felt it didn't pull its weight, but it certainly can! Plus its pretty nice when you have a Myr Battlesphere to get. I don't run Battlesphere anymore because of my inclusion of Torpor orb, but its definetly a good card =) Great when you've pumped out tokens with Myr Turbine.

EDIT: Oups, forgot the other ones.

Lands:
Wasteland -Run both :D

Arcane Lighthouse - I don't use it atm because I don't think I have one... so I haven't really tried it out. I can see it having its uses tho.

Rishadan Port- Felt it was unnecessary to invest into, but I can definetly see it being handy. Tapping down their one white source so they can't wipe our board with Austere Command. If you have it, use it. Can also tap down cards like Cabal Coffers, Gaea's Cradle Maze of Ith etc.

Deserted Temple - Its nice to use with Workshop for that one extra mana, untapping Eye of Ugin, Maze etc. Def a good land =)

Scorched Ruins, Lotus Vale, City of Traitors - I have Scorched Ruins and City of Traitors in my collection, but I don't use them atm. People in my meta loves to hate on my lands if possible, so me getting 1 for 2-3'd kinda sucks haha. But yeah, its otherwise pretty damn good with Deserted Temple! I think Lotus Field would be a better one if you want to play something like Lotus Vale. Kinda sucks it doesn't enter untapped tho, thats a thing I try to keep having, lands coming in untapped.

Winding Canyons - Used to run it, I don't anymore. I'm thinking of adding Emergence Zone to the deck tho! Since it isn't limited to only creatures.

Scavenger Grounds - Run it! Its great =)

Arch of Orazca, Geier Reach Sanitarium, (Mikokoro, Center of the Sea), Sea Gate Wreckage - I do play Arch of Orazca. Mostly because I don't want to give my opponents more answers, thats why I don't have Geier Reach Sanitarium (our meta has a lot of reanimation as well). Same with Mikokoro.

Dark Depths - I feel like its kinda bad since it takes up a slot in a deck that already often plays some lands that does not tap for mana so we can play kozilek. I'd rather copy my opponents if able, with cards like Thespian's Stage and Mirage Mirror =)

Karn's Bastion- I guess it could work, if you have like Infect as a small backup through Inkmoth Nexus for that inevitable slow death. Also if you decide to run Lux Cannon.

Mage-Ring Network- I removed it, but I managed to get it to work a few times! Its quite nice when you can untap it or copy the storage effect.

Creatures:
Hangarback Walker - I feel like it does too little, but then again, I can see it being nice with Ashnod's Altar and Krark-Clan Ironworks.

Scrap Trawler- I want to squeeze it in since its nice after a boardwipe or when you got your stuff setup for a big turn! Tell me otherwise how it is if you're gonna run it =)

Steel Hellkite - I've removed it before because it was kinda too slow. But I probably should get it in somehow again.

Thopter Assembly - I'm not sure... it was pretty big "back in the days". But I've never seen it since, except to combo it with Timesieve in Esperdecks.

Myr Battlesphere - see myr turbine

Platinum Angel & Platinum Emperion - These can definetly be great in a pinch! I've been thinking of adding one of them, or both to a sideboard whenever I get a hold on the newest Karn that lets you tutor. Otherwise Karn is just nice to get back exiled cards.

Artisan of Kozilek - Feels great if you have more creatures! =) And if you decide to have like Geier Reach Sanitarium.

Void Winnower - Its been pretty much a big miss for me when I've resolved it, except for once when it really shutdown a bunch of decks.

It that Betrays - Its sweet for sure, I haven't included it yet but I really want to. Do tell me how it plays out for you if you do!

Emrakul, the Promised End - I love this Emrakul, especially in EDH where you can either wreck or help a opponent/ally. Great for politics and just to wreck or help someone. Has really won me a bunch of games.

East Side

Im still confused as to why Platinum Emperion doesn't work with Mana Vault/Crypt & Ancient Tomb. You aren't paying life, it is dealing damage to you. According to the updated rules this seems to work. The only cards that require you to pay life in this deck are Mystic Forge/Hall of the Bandit Lord.

Runnin

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
Im still confused as to why Platinum Emperion doesn't work with Mana Vault/Crypt & Ancient Tomb. You aren't paying life, it is dealing damage to you. According to the updated rules this seems to work. The only cards that require you to pay life in this deck are Mystic Forge/Hall of the Bandit Lord.
Ogeeze, I'm sorry! Ancient Tomb and Mana Vault/Crypt does work with Emperion. I was referring to Hall of the Banditlord, since thats a cost you have to pay that you can't pay with Emperion out. Sorry, I worded that poorly.

Rasputin101

Wow. Ok. Let's do this....

Akroma's Memorial is a great card and if you're running more creature heavy it's definitely worth testing. I ran it for a few weeks but it ended up a dead drop with so few creatures in the deck.
Ward of Bones is good but if you're running more creatures then you're only going to slow enchantments and lands coming in. Worth it for the lands I guess
Staff of Nin It's ok but I prefer The Immortal Sun even though in nonbos with our walkers.
Oblivion Stone, Perilous Vault, & Lux Cannon: Perilous vault is the only one here I rate. the other two don't work so will with 98 of out 100 cards being permenants we get hurt the most, and Lux Cannon if too slow for me.
Tormod's Crypt was good as a 0 drop when Paradox Engine (rest in peace) was a thing. Good sideboard card if you care to run one.
Chaos Wand works great against end step tutors. Someone fires off a vampiric tutor to draw in their turn, you hit them with the wand and it's a dead tutor to them. bonus if they searched for an instant or sorcery. Ran it to test but was a bit too circumstancial for me and wiffed a lot.
Myr Turbine is a bit too slow for me. good with kuldotha forgemaster and myr battlesphere if you're running them but too slow for my build

Wasteland is both better and worse than ghost quarter. If an opponent plays an Armageddon effect you can hit your own land with the quarter for a basic. I don't run wasteland simply because I don't own one!
Arcane Lighthouse I ran for a while but often went unused.
Rishadan Port is great but I don't own one. I mean... It's great!
Deserted Temple is only good for giving an opponent some extra mana and I'd much rather have something more productive at our end.
Scorched Ruins and Lotus Vale were always too risky. you sac the lands, then the ruins or vale get destroyed. too many eggs in one basket. Same reason I don't run Semblance Anvil
City of Traitors is pretty good when it's the last land you play before there's none left in your hand. I've always been on the fence. Awesome with crucible of worlds
Winding Canyons is better if you have more creatures but If I'm at 13 mana Kozilek is either on the field already or he's costing 12 for the next cast. If you pass the turn with 13 mana set aside you've pretty much telegraphed what you're doing anyway and if he's getting removed your opponents will see it coming a mile off.
Scavenger Grounds is good, I just don't run it for other more useful stuff.
Arch of Orazca works well but again, better things are out there
Geier Reach Sanitarium and Mikokoro, Center of the Sea are bad in my meta. Giving my opponents the extra card can give them the game.
Sea Gate Wreckage is a bit too circumstantial to be included over other things.
Dark Depths is only any good with thespian's stage and is a dead card in a deck that runs less lands than normal. I've already got too many lands that don't tap for mana.
Karn's Bastion... not enough counters here to make it worth while.
Mage-Ring Network I ran for a long time but removed it for a better land.

Hangarback Walker is great in a creature heavy build. More bodies and more cost spells are good for the range of mana you can produce.
Scrap Trawler if played right can almost bypass a field wipe if you stack your triggers. Very good.... not sure why I don't run it. Might be worth a test.
Steel Hellkite is sooooo good at taking out the token player. Definitely include in your creaturey build
Thopter Assembly and Myr Battlesphere are good as sac fodder indeed. they actually slowed me down but I'm more combo centric and these guys would be great in creature heavier builds

Platinum Angel just delays the inevitable and not for very long. Artifact Creatures are the single easiest card type to remove in the game. good
Platinum Emperion is a good way to avoid a lot of damage from our double edged cards. Just be aware you can still die to commander damage because the damage isn't prevented. I ran the emperion way way back when the deck was more creature heavy and it worked well that I didn't need to block anymore but it god cut when creatures became less relevent.

Artisan of Kozilek yes
Void Winnower yes yes
It that Betrays oh yes
Emrakul, the Promised End is a no for me. I know @Runnin gets a lot of kicks out of this dude but I don't rate it all that much in my build

How far are you off a list?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I just want to throw in my 2 cents that, if you're playing remotely with folks via webcam these days, that It That Betrays is a realy PITA logistically and worth having a swap card for that situation. Online via MTGO/Cockatrice/whatever shouldn't be an issue, though.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

East Side

I'm going to finalize it tomorrow. I got some new cards coming in the mail.

Rasputin101

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I just want to throw in my 2 cents that, if you're playing remotely with folks via webcam these days, that It That Betrays is a realy PITA logistically and worth having a swap card for that situation. Online via MTGO/Cockatrice/whatever shouldn't be an issue, though.
Lol, everyone is setting their theft decks aside for remote play.
Amazing. Hadn't even thought if that!

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Not entirely set aside, but certain cards can cause way more overhead than others if the commander/deck isn't based around theft. I still play Chainer, but its theft is very selective (and some decks don't have anything worth stealing). It That Betrays just steals everything, even fetchlands. Wipes/removal/stax causes it to get out of hand pretty quick. There are commanders like Gonti that are somewhere between. And I know of a fellow who has a Bolas deck that's all about stealing everything -- so he hardly ever plays it now.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Runnin

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Not entirely set aside, but certain cards can cause way more overhead than others if the commander/deck isn't based around theft. I still play Chainer, but its theft is very selective (and some decks don't have anything worth stealing). It That Betrays just steals everything, even fetchlands. Wipes/removal/stax causes it to get out of hand pretty quick. There are commanders like Gonti that are somewhere between. And I know of a fellow who has a Bolas deck that's all about stealing everything -- so he hardly ever plays it now.
And here comes COVID19 and steals the Bolas players ability to play their deck, the irony haha. But yeah, some cards do have to take a backseat. With Gonti, you would always PM what the cards are. But thats also quite the chore.

@Rasputin101 Yeah, the possibilities! Plus I think we were quite unanimous otherwise about most choices that we commented on.

East Side

Commander:
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Eldrazi Creatures:
Conduit of Ruin
Oblivion Sower
Void Winnower
Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
It That Betrays
Emrakul, the Promised End

Artifact Creatures:
Metalworker
Palladium Myr
Geode Golem
Kuldotha Forgemaster
Duplicant
Steel Hellkite
Blightsteel Colossus

Planeswalkers:
Karn, the Great Creator
Ugin, the Ineffable
Karn Liberated
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Maybeboard:
Walking Ballista
Myr Welder
Scrap Trawler
Wurmcoil Engine
Platinum Angel
Platinum Emperion
Artisan of Kozilek

Karn Scion of Urza

This is the current list of creatures and planeswalkers I'm considering. Do y'all have any suggestions on things I should cut or add based on my maybeboard. I'm having a hard time pairing down my number of artifacts and lands to get to 100 cards.

Rasputin101

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
Maybeboard:
Walking Ballista
Myr Welder
Scrap Trawler
Wurmcoil Engine
Platinum Angel
Platinum Emperion
Artisan of Kozilek
Karn Scion of Urza

This is the current list of creatures and planeswalkers I'm considering. Do y'all have any suggestions on things I should cut or add based on my maybeboard. I'm having a hard time pairing down my number of artifacts and lands to get to 100 cards.

So from the cards you've already got in the deck you've got seven that aren't on my list, with an additional eight on the maybeboard.
What are you looking to cut in order to get them in?
Are you looking to run less rocks? Or maybe cut back on a few of the stax artifacts?
Or are you dropping the combo element?

I would recommend keeping the rocks more or less to the ones I run, just because they're pretty much gonna keep the deck afloat and keep up the pace (without the LED as you mentioned you didn't have one.

East Side

I definitely want to keep most of the rocks, however I'm contemplating cutting Prismatic Lens, Kyren-Toy, Ur-Golem's Eye and Sisay's ring. I don't own a Lion's Eye diamond or a Mishra's Workshop. I would like to squeeze Walking Ballista, Wurmcoil Engine, & Platinum Emperion into this deck. Potentially cut Conduit of Ruin and Oblivion Sower, not sure if this would hurt the deck. I want to keep the combo element, I'm going to run all the combos you have listed and Karn/Mycosynth. I also want to keep the stax in this build.

Rasputin101

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
I definitely want to keep most of the rocks, however I'm contemplating cutting Prismatic Lens, Kyren-Toy, Ur-Golem's Eye and Sisay's ring. I don't own a Lion's Eye diamond or a Mishra's Workshop. I would like to squeeze Walking Ballista, Wurmcoil Engine, & Platinum Emperion into this deck. Potentially cut Conduit of Ruin and Oblivion Sower, not sure if this would hurt the deck. I want to keep the combo element, I'm going to run all the combos you have listed and Karn/Mycosynth. I also want to keep the stax in this build.
I hope your LGS lets you play with 110 cards then hahaha.

I would give oblivion sower and conduit of ruin a miss. Unless your Exiling a lot of your opponents lands Oblivion Sower isn't worth the mana cost. Conduit of ruin never hit the spot for me because it can only search up a large creature which might not necessarily be what you need. The creature cost redulction in nice the more creatures you run because there's a higher chance you'll benefit from it but all it ever did was harm my draws due to the search going to the top of the deck rather than into hand.

So we need to look into what you can cut to fit all this in.
If you're running less rocks then you need to be running a minimum of 35 lands
I'm thinking you can probably run less of the utility side of things like crucible of worlds, mirage mirror and not notice too much. You could possible cut warping wail as you'll have blockers creatures to deal with the creatures but you'll miss out on that sorcery counter.
Maybe don't run Manifold Key... I survived for ages without it.

This is hard! I see every card in the deck through rose tinted glasses!

Runnin

Yeah, I can't really go back to having many creatures in the deck haha. And I even run less manarocks than Rasputin.

East Side

Here is the current deck I'm thinking of running. I'm going to take the risk and run Vedalken Orrery & Semblance Anvil. I might drop these if my opponents keep removing them. I'll post of a list of the rest of the cards I'm considering later on. Let me know what y'all think of this deck. Rasputin if there is anything from your list that you believe I should include let me know and what I should remove.
Cards Excluded From Rasputin's Deck:
Lion's Eye Diamond - I want to include this soon
Welding Jar
Prismatic Lens
Kyren Toy
Transmogrifying Wand
Memory Jar
Ring of Three Wishes
Emergence Zone
Ghost Quarter
Mishra's Factory
Mishra's Workshop - I want to include this once I get my hands on one
Mutavault
Urborg, Tomb of Yawmoth
Wastes
Wastes
Zhalfirin Void

Rasputin101

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
Here is the current deck I'm thinking of running. I'm going to take the risk and run Vedalken Orrery & Semblance Anvil. I might drop these if my opponents keep removing them. I'll post of a list of the rest of the cards I'm considering later on. Let me know what y'all think of this deck. Rasputin if there is anything from your list that you believe I should include let me know and what I should remove.

DECK LISTED BELOW IN DECK FORM

Cards Excluded From Rasputin's Deck:
Lion's Eye Diamond - I want to include this soon
Welding Jar
Prismatic Lens
Kyren Toy
Transmogrifying Wand
Memory Jar
Ring of Three Wishes
Emergence Zone
Ghost Quarter
Mishra's Factory
Mishra's Workshop - I want to include this once I get my hands on one
Mutavault
Urborg, Tomb of Yawmoth
Wastes
Wastes
Zhalfirin Void
Awesome
East Side's Kozilek

Instants:

Sorceries:

Approximate Total Cost:

Looks good (thanks for listing what you cut, makes it much easier to see differences)

I think you may be a bit low to the ground on the lands. If you see the top right button has 'draw seven' you can see what your opening hands might be. The lack of lands and the amount of high cost cards leave you with a lot of opening hands that you would have to mulligan off. Check it out, see what you think.
And I'm not sure quicksilver amulet is a great fit considering all of your Eldrazi bar one have cast triggers. I think you'll quite quickly see it as a dead card.
I would cut that and add urborg, tomb of yawgmoth back into the list to make up for the fact that maze of ith, temple of the false god and eye of ugin Can slow you down horribly in the early stages. Also means you can tap ancient tomb without hurting yourself.
You may wish to run a wastes as well. You will definitely get hit with a path to exile and that land helps.
Plus if someone uses a ghost quarter on one of your value lands you can again get some upside from it.

Have you tested the list out yet?
Last edited by Rasputin101 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Runnin

27 lands is pretty damn low and you got quite expensive cards manawise, I myself run 37 lands atm because I have a few lesser mana rocks (no mana crypt) than Rasputin.

East Side

I made a few adjustments to the deck to increase the land count. I'm now currently at 29. Honestly I might make a few more cuts, once I realize that less creatures is better. I have not been able to test the deck yet. Do y'all have any recommendations on what the weakest cards in this deck are now? Also I saw you recently included Scrap Trawler, I will most likely do the same. Do you think it would be beneficial to include a Myr Retriever now that you are using the Trawler? Have you put anymore thought into Myr Welder?

Conduit of Ruin → Wastes
Quicksilver Amulet → Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Swiftfoot Boots → Welding Jar

Rasputin101

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
I made a few adjustments to the deck to increase the land count. I'm now currently at 29. Honestly I might make a few more cuts, once I realize that less creatures is better. I have not been able to test the deck yet. Do y'all have any recommendations on what the weakest cards in this deck are now? Also I saw you recently included Scrap Trawler, I will most likely do the same. Do you think it would be beneficial to include a Myr Retriever now that you are using the Trawler? Have you put anymore thought into Myr Welder?

Conduit of Ruin → Wastes
Quicksilver Amulet → Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Swiftfoot Boots → Welding Jar
Sorry for the late reply. For some reason my email has started filtering out the notifications of when there's a post.
I've adjusted the deck list above in case you wanted to test out the 'draw 7' feature.
Its now getting harder to spot to weaker cards now which is a good thing.
I still think you're a bit light on lands and heavy in high cmc creatures but that's something playtesting the deck is gonna help you to find the sweet spot.

I'd forgotten I'd added scrapyard recombiner to the deck. I'd rarely actually drawn it in game for some reason but when I did it just didn't do anything quick enough. That had to go and the board wipe protection that Scrap Trawler offers is pretty good. I'll see how he fares.
Myr Retriever is a good little dude but I don't think it has a bit enough effect to run for me.
Myr Welder is one I need to test out because there's a combo with staff of domination.
Tap to imprint the staff, pay Myr welder's new 1 ability from the staff, untap it, tap to imprint a rock that taps for 2 mana, then untap him again. Infinite mana (which I'm sure you were already aware of). I've not gotten to testing it yet because there's only one way to get the right artifacts in the yard and that's through Krark-Clan Ironworks or by an opponent destroying the right things. Without the right things in the bin hes less good.

East Side

I've made a few more adjustments to increase the land count. I'm also curious about Mutavault and Mishra's Factory, which one do you think is better. I'm including one of them, I'm just not sure which one. I'm also going to test Sword of Feast and Famine and see how it does, Runnin do you have any opinion on this?

Recent Cuts:
Vesuva → Wastes
Void Winnower → Mutavault/Mishra's Factory
Karn, the Great Creator → Sword of Feast and Famine
It That Betrays → Scrap Trawler
Blightsteel Colossus → Ghost Quarter
Semblance Anvil → Memory Jar

Mind's Eye - Why do you not include this card?
Haven of The Spirit Dragon - have you tested this land before? It seems better than Zhalfirin Void?

Rasputin101

East Side wrote:
4 years ago
I've made a few more adjustments to increase the land count. I'm also curious about Mutavault and Mishra's Factory, which one do you think is better. I'm including one of them, I'm just not sure which one. I'm also going to test Sword of Feast and Famine and see how it does, Runnin do you have any opinion on this?

Recent Cuts:
Vesuva → Wastes
Void Winnower → Mutavault/Mishra's Factory
Karn, the Great Creator → Sword of Feast and Famine
It That Betrays → Scrap Trawler
Blightsteel Colossus → Ghost Quarter
Semblance Anvil → Memory Jar

Mind's Eye - Why do you not include this card?
Haven of The Spirit Dragon - have you tested this land before? It seems better than Zhalfirin Void?
Mind's eye doesn't do it for me. I know it's an EDH staple but I've never really liked it all that much.
If I've been able to cast it, then be able to pay for it usually I've just drawn 4 off Kozilek and I'm Most likely going to shunt it back until I have nothing else to play. Seems like it's always a dead card to me but I know others run it.

Your cuts look great, pretty sure you're in the right place with lands and rocks now so it'll be a much more consistent a smooth ride for you.

I personally don't love Sword of Feast and Famine simply because I want my opponents to destroy kozilek. That way I don't have to use any resources getting him back to the CZ for another cast and draw 4. If I give him protection from black my it limits what can then hit him. Sounds weird I know.
@Runnin might have a different take on it though.

Yeah, I ran Haven of the Spirit Dragon for years but cut it because all it did was give me back Ugin and I needed something that was more versatile so I cut it.

I'd say Mishra's Factory and mutavault Are pretty much on par with each other in terms of which is best.
Mutavault gets the 'all creature types' clause which can be handy if your playing against slivers or any other viable tribe.
Mishra's factory can block as a 3/3 and can catch an opponent out who doesn't think through how the card works.
It's your call which makes the most sense to you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”