Shrine decks: can't live with 'em, can't stab their owners.

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
What say you, Nexus? Have you played against a shrine deck yet? Have you built one? Am I dickhead? Am I dickhead for other reasons and you want to get it off your chest? Let's hear it.
I built one. I used to play Shrines in Standard back in the day, so I've had a soft spot for them forever. It's Sisay, with Jegantha as the companion. I don't run MLD or any oppressive combo pieces, just shrines and ways to get them back when they die. Honestly, I'd rather that Sanctum of All were the commander, so that I could just go all in on my silly durdling plan, but so it goes. I've played it once, and my opponent recurred Austere Command every turn. So, I lost that game. I don't know if that means that the deck isn't powerful, but it's certainly not the strongest thing that I could be doing with the Captain.

As for whether or not you're a dickhead? You attacked and moved the game along. SOMEONE has to win the game.

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
What say you, Nexus? Have you played against a shrine deck yet? Have you built one? Am I dickhead? Am I dickhead for other reasons and you want to get it off your chest? Let's hear it.
I played one yesterday for the first time under Sisay, Weatherlight Captain. It was, by the brewer's admission, not optimised, but nonetheless did very well. Gouged most of the table for 2/3rds of their life totals really quickly before I Cyclonic Rift overloaded to slow him down.

He didn't win - once we saw him for the threat he was he got targeted down by....mostly me, no regrets. I ended up Peer into the Abyssing him with Primal Amulet // Primal Wellspring and Twinning Staff in play to copy it twice. He ended up drawing 70 odd cards and losing 45 life, which dropped him to 6, low enough for the other surviving player to bleed him out with Blood Artist. I ended up winning, which was nice, but would've been just as satisfied if I hadn't so long as the shrines died in a fire.

To his credit he wasn't salty at all. He was more like 'I have virtually my entire deck in my hand and still lost....huh. I will remember this day.' But yeah, the whole architecture of the deck was pretty gross, I wouldn't choose to play it again, and if I did I'd totally go in for the kill as soon as I realised it was a shrine deck.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I played one yesterday for the first time under Sisay, Weatherlight Captain. It was, by the brewer's admission, not optimised, but nonetheless did very well. Gouged most of the table for 2/3rds of their life totals really quickly before I Cyclonic Rift overloaded to slow him down.

He didn't win - once we saw him for the threat he was he got targeted down by....mostly me, no regrets. I ended up Peer into the Abyssing him with Primal Amulet // Primal Wellspring and Twinning Staff in play to copy it twice. He ended up drawing 70 odd cards and losing 45 life, which dropped him to 6, low enough for the other surviving player to bleed him out with Blood Artist. I ended up winning, which was nice, but would've been just as satisfied if I hadn't so long as the shrines died in a fire.

To his credit he wasn't salty at all. He was more like 'I have virtually my entire deck in my hand and still lost....huh. I will remember this day.' But yeah, the whole architecture of the deck was pretty gross, I wouldn't choose to play it again, and if I did I'd totally go in for the kill as soon as I realised it was a shrine deck.
Well, you definitely get some style points for taking it out the way you did. If he did that well with an unoptimized list, I'd hate to see what the upgraded version would do. It seem like such a pain to play against, and I'll probably still maintain my policy of hating out shrine decks.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

Well, you definitely get some style points for taking it out the way you did. If he did that well with an unoptimized list, I'd hate to see what the upgraded version would do. It seem like such a pain to play against, and I'll probably still maintain my policy of hating out shrine decks.
Its a stupidly risky card, but I can't help but love it. It's just suicidally brilliant. One day it will backfire, but it is not this day.

Honestly I think it's a sound policy. Based on the commanders these decks use I'd hate them out anyway. Golos, Tireless Pilgrim is gross and so is Sisay, Weatherlight Captain.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”