FTV: Fetchlands (plus Chandra spellbook)

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

To be fair, a lot of the people needing fetches can't use proxies. I know some people use them in casual EDH games, but I've never actually met anyone who was okay with it in real life.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

idSurge
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

There are fetchland's available, just go buy em?
UR Control UR

if4ko
Pronoun: he / him

Post by if4ko » 4 years ago

WOTC: We recognize the need to reprint the enemy fetchlands in a way that's affordable to consumers.

Also WOTC: Here's Fetchlands: Mythic Edition, complete with the limited print run. And if you miss out, don't worry. Just drop $200 on all our Secret Lairs and you'll get a random one! It could be a Tarn for your Modern deck, it could be a Misty for your EDH deck, or it could be a Marsh Flats.

I can at least understand why they aren't in Zendikar Rising. Nobody needs fuel to get out a Turn 4 Titan or do some Breach shenanigans. Sure, they're probably going to be in Commander Legends, but I'd be very surprised if it was at a Modern Horizons/Mystery Booster price point. You know a product fell short of meeting the goal when the guy you hired to do your announcement said it fell short.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

this makes me feel that they care a lot about the secondary market.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
this makes me feel that they care a lot about the secondary market.
In a way they do. They can't officially of course, but they are also well aware that if they completely ignore it and reprint cards to much, they make a lot of their paying customers angry. So they do a compromise. Release a set of alternate art fetches like this, and then reprint them later in a booster product. However, since they think they are to powerful for standard (together with duals, they tend to be), they are also going to reprint fetches in a nonstandard legal product later. Thus having minimal impact on the secondary market.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, I know they would have to deal with gambling laws and stuff like that. And I agree they cannot reprint cards into the dirt. The guy who bought a playset of tarns from me in 2017 is safe, because of cautious wotc reprint policy.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
There are fetchland's available, just go buy em?
Aaaaaaaand you're the problem. I, for one, want formats like Modern to be accessible to more people and don't think something like lands should be prohibitively expensive.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

idSurge

You dont need fetches. You dont.

You want them, well they are available (other than Misty's on some sites, which is problematic) so there you go.

Should they be reprinted? Absolutely. I bought all of mine on reprints. Khans, and Masters set.

They are available however, and they are not 'required' to play the format.
UR Control UR

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
You dont need fetches. You dont.
%$#%$#%. You only make a joke of yourself with this level of fanboysm

idSurge

lol look up my post history and tell me I'm a wizards fanboy.

Play Burn, Play Tron. Play ETron. Play Prowess. Play Titan.
UR Control UR

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Problem is, fetches help out just about everywhere. Back in the day, I played mono-green stompy in Modern, and then AER came around and suddenly people were running ten fetches in a mono-green deck to support Narnam Renegade. I've seen max fetches advocated in mono-colour EDH decks for the sheer purpose of upping the effectiveness of stuff like Sensei's Divining Top. They help out a durdle turtle of mine with Top, Crucible of Worlds, and double up as brick protection when Bolas Rock comes around. In my lone tricolour deck, they help provide lovely colour fixing. Sure, you don't need them. But they sure as hell help a lot, across formats, in a ridiculous number of places.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

idSurge

Absolutely. The recent 'balance' injected into eternal formats in the way of UG cards has driven Misty Rainforest to near $100 last I looked.

Its absolutely unreal that Wizards has not printed them into a Standard set to bring down the costs.
UR Control UR

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

tarn.jpg
misty.jpg
checked at SCG ---- tarns are 69.99 nm, and 59.85 played. Misty are 69.99 nm, so I would assume the played versions are 59.85 as well. From how much I sold tarns in 2017, could say the price is stable, that's actually the price I sold them two years ago. Misty Rainforest made a large increase though, I remember they were only 45-50 near mint in 2017. I have to thank these fetches, the cash I got for selling my two misty got me a camera that I still use today, so thanks wotc. Got them while they were 10 dollars in zendikar standard.
Last edited by The Fluff 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Tarns hit a hundred before Pioneer got announced. Anything but stable.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

idSurge

Very few Tarn's on a few of the sites I check, looks like people are worried by this insignificant 'reprint' and picking them up.
UR Control UR

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

hmm, that's possible. But I also feel it's a method employed by most online stores, displaying only a few available for sale even if they have plenty of stock... so if the price suddenly jumps, only a few can be bought by hoarders.. after the few on display are sold out... they can then display the rest of their cards at the higher price after some days.

idSurge

Perhaps, but Card Kingdom had sold out at $99 the other day, back up with 6 at $69 today. Seems weird.
UR Control UR

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
To be fair, a lot of the people needing fetches can't use proxies. I know some people use them in casual EDH games, but I've never actually met anyone who was okay with it in real life.
Why wouldn't you be okay with someone using proxies? If there's no money and prizes involved proxies should be allowed. People at my store use proxies all the time.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

as long as there isn't any money or prize on the line. My playgroup is fine with proxies. We do it all the time, to test if a card is worth buying or not. Saves cash.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet

My group just doesn't do it. It feels like it defeats the entire purpose of it being a collectible/trading card game. There would be no point to pimping out a deck if it was full of printouts. I don't care what other groups do, but I wouldn't play against someone using proxies.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 years ago

I haven't been to my LGS playgroup for a few months due to work and, um... other world events. But proxies were never an issue. And for some expensive cards, like the original dual lands, people would use proxies even if they had the originals. The view of them is that the game is meant to be fun for everyone and more about skill than who has the fat wallets to pay for the hundred dollar cards or has played for 25 years.

Part of this is also probably due to the fact that the most popular event is the Modern Monday tournament, which allows fifteen "playtest" cards. So there is no stigma to proxies in the LGS.

Also allowing proxies doesn't stop people from pimping out there decks. There is one guy who plays modern who has a completely foil Mono-G Tron deck with Kaladesh Invention Wurmcoil Engines.

NZB2323

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
My group just doesn't do it. It feels like it defeats the entire purpose of it being a collectible/trading card game. There would be no point to pimping out a deck if it was full of printouts. I don't care what other groups do, but I wouldn't play against someone using proxies.
The point of the game is to play and have fun, especially in a casual, social format like Commander. People who don't have as much money should be able to play as well, just like how you don't need to spend a lot of money to play chess, bridge, or connect 4, you shouldn't need to spend a lot of money to play Magic.

Now I've spent a lot of money on cards, but I also have proxies in a lot of my decks. Would you rather that in between games I take my expensive cards out of one deck to put them in another while you sit there and wait for me, or use my proxies in my other decks? I guess I'd have to use my $30 pauper Edric deck in order to play against you. It's pretty elitist to not allow proxies in a game with no money and no prizes when the name of the game is Magic the Gathering.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet

Like I said, I don't know a single person in real life (from stores or my social circle) who is okay with proxies. My playgroup takes pride in our decks and half of the fun comes from that. It just... defeats the purpose of it being a collectible/trading card game, like what's the point in buying any card if proxies are going to be allowed?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

not sure if you're replying to me... but the point of proxying in our group is to test the card. Not because we won't ever buy it. For example, I put a proxy dream trawler in my list, shuffle it, play some test games. If the proxy performed well, then I will buy it at scg. If the card did not perform well, then I will not buy it. It's a waste to buy something, then later find out after it arrived that it's not the right fit for my deck. Btw, none of the cards in the decks that I use in fnm are proxied.

NZB2323

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
Like I said, I don't know a single person in real life (from stores or my social circle) who is okay with proxies. My playgroup takes pride in our decks and half of the fun comes from that. It just... defeats the purpose of it being a collectible/trading card game, like what's the point in buying any card if proxies are going to be allowed?
The point of buying tournament legal cards is to use them at tournaments.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”