The Community Deck Build Project v9.0

Moxnix
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Moxnix » 9 months ago

Thier are so many cards that say whenever X attacks trigger ability so lots of ways you could go. Dropping aurelia, The war leader for a hasted 2 extra combat steps seems pretty good. So im with Dunharrow. Commissar Severina raine doesn't seem so scary but drop aurliea and have that ability trigger 6 times and it looks a bit different. Tokens could be good shared animosity would trigger more than once tons of token gens generate on the swing ability particularly red and white cards. Curves into and out of Lucille nice but I just love walking dead. Dreadhorde arcanist is really good if we play enough spells. Cards with myraid like battle angels of tyr would trigger twice. Captain Lannery would make double tresure tokens sadly ragavan is on damage trigger . Conspiracy Theorist could be really good if we do want to reanimate stuff and hes a 2 drop. BAttle cry and her of bladehold seem good too. To me its looking like it could legit play aggro pretty well. witch kinf og angmar goldspan Karazikar, the eye tyrant Bruse Tarl Myrel like there are so many of these good cards So maybe aggro type of deck haste stuff a little faithless looting renimate stuff and just smash.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 9 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
9 months ago
I think haste enablers, extra combat steps, and big attack triggers is how I would go, but I think this is a timmy way of building it.
Probably a low cmc swarm with Hellrider effects would be better?

Like if I made this I would put Drakuseth, Maw of Flames and ignore good removal spells.
I do like me some Drakuseth...Goldspan Dragon is similarly going to be really strong here. I'd imagine Fervent Charge to be a similarly strong finish too.

At the low end, we even have things such as Spiteful Returned, Vicious Conquistador/Pulse Tracker. Hmm, is there enough vampires to go in on these triggers? Probably not.

Hero of Bladehold is like a twenty point swing, so that sounds like a strong finisher to me.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 9 months ago

To be fair this one does kinda build itself a little. Adeline and Myrel seem sweet, I love Drakuseth, ooh and Delina. Delina is SWEET. I say if we're going in on this let's just turn the dial up to 11 and run with it 😁
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 9 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
9 months ago
To be fair this one does kinda build itself a little. Adeline and Myrel seem sweet, I love Drakuseth, ooh and Delina. Delina is SWEET. I say if we're going in on this let's just turn the dial up to 11 and run with it 😁
Delina, Wild Mage
Adeline, Resplendent Cathar
Myrel, Shield of Argive

I hate that Delina puts herself in the red zone, but man that is pretty saucy. If she were like, say, Gut, True Soul Zealot though...

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 9 months ago

3drinks wrote:
9 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
9 months ago
Delina, Wild Mage
Adeline, Resplendent Cathar
Myrel, Shield of Argive

I hate that Delina puts herself in the red zone, but man that is pretty saucy. If she were like, say, Gut, True Soul Zealot though...
That is better wording. But being able to copy anything, legendary or not, is bonkers.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

I think it is easy for this type of deck to get too high CMC. Etali, Titans, Drakuseth, etc. I think the power of the deck will be to flood the board early, drop the commander and smack face.
So 6 and 7 drops are not great and should be limited.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 8 months ago

I'd agree with that. Even the dreaded four drop glut will slow this down considerably. We should only need one titan and the reanimation suite to protect it, can't imagine sitting on grave and blight titan dead while trying to protect a sun titan. Especially when a Hero of Bladehold/Fervent Charge is a far stronger clock (Rabblemaster is similar too).

I think there's a case to look at the early exhume < eldrazi strategy with the right balance. Backbreaking on t1, but in conjunction with Isshin they effectively have a 'drazi titan level annihilator.

Well, let's start off with @Dunharrow and @aliciaofthevast for this project.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5JGLDfA7OEy0ZaPb3Nw9QQ

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 8 months ago

First pick?! Hmm. We want to do stuff on attacks so we can do it twice. We like mana because it lets us do things so I think our first hit of the series...is Captain Lannery Storm!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

I can get behind Lannery, seems like a reasonable hit. Yea from me.

3drinks

I'd also yay Lannery. It's not the bomb, but it doesn't need to be, it's a three drop that pushes the game plan forward. I'll yay that into the deck. Don't see any reasonable arguments against it.

For today, let's put myself and @toctheyounger on the clock.

As much as I want to push forward my ideal finisher, there's other cogs to get down first. And similar to Lannery, I nominate Goldspan Dragon to the deck.

toctheyounger

Goldspan is a great trigger to double. Easy yea.

I wanna get into the splashy stuff, but I guess you gotta eat your veges before you get dessert. Let's go with Sword of the Animist.

Dunharrow

Yay Sword of the Animist, Goldspan and Captain Lannery.

I was at a sales meeting, but if not too late I would nominate Lightning Greaves

3drinks

I like lightning greaves, that seems important to this deck.

I question sword of the animist if only because I believe Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus to be better? It'll start ramping for 1 less and doesn't rely on having a body lying around. I think that's a interesting conversation that could be had here between the two. Maybe it's even correct to play both.

Lightning Greaves yay - 1 nay - 0
Goldspan Dragon yay - 2 nay - 0
Sword of the Animist yay - 1 nay - 0

Up today will see @Moxnix and @gsgfdf on the clock.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

Lets do hero of bladehold that has to make the cut.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

If my pirate is good, then I think I have to yay the dragon right? Not that I wouldn't anyway. I think the lightning Nikes™ are good too, haste is very important and and our thing is going to get hit.

Do we have enough basics for either of those swords, (I think we have six and that's plenty), but is SoHaH better? Why/why not. We probably can't play all three.

I think hero of bladehold is an easy agree, though I thought we were doing the finishers later?

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
I question sword of the animist if only because I believe Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus to be better? It'll start ramping for less and doesn't rely on having a body lying around. I think that's a interesting conversation that could be had here between the two. Maybe it's even correct to play both.
Well, thinking on it, they both trigger the same turn theoretically, if not Sword a turn earlier. Sure, Bitterthorn doesn't need to equip, but it comes down the turn after the original and can't attack that turn where the sword drops a turn earlier, and if you need to, gets it's first trigger the turn Bitterthorn enters. I think the original is superior for this reason, but I guess I can see the merit either way.
aliciaofthevast wrote:
8 months ago
Do we have enough basics for either of those swords, (I think we have six and that's plenty), but is SoHaH better? Why/why not. We probably can't play all three.
The Sword is better than the Sword of here. Isshin doesn't double the combat damage trigger, so either of the former will perform a lot better than the latter. Not that I think the card is bad at all, it slaps in my Bruna deck. I just like it less here. Presumably we could bake in some blink to make the second part of the trigger put in work too, but I don't know that it'll fit that well.

edit: Yea for Bladehold. Good card is good. I don't even necessarily see this as a finisher, it's more of a midrange pressure engine. And there's at least 2 more we can throw in too.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

I would like to nominate Sun Titan|DDl. I love this card and it will do work in the mid/late game.

Yay on Goldspan Dragon and Sword of the Animist. I haven't used Lightning Greaves in a while so I will abstain from this.

3drinks

Goldspan has been confirmed. Looks like lightning greaves is on 2, and I can be the confirming vote on bladehold. It's a freakin' twenty point swing when stacked appropriately. I like my finishers at four mv tbh.

Sword of the Animist yay - 2 nay - 0
lightning greaves|psal yay - 2 nay - 0
Sun Titan yay - 0 nay - 0

Let's put @Moxnix and @Dunharrow on the clock for today.
toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
I question sword of the animist if only because I believe Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus to be better? It'll start ramping for less and doesn't rely on having a body lying around. I think that's a interesting conversation that could be had here between the two. Maybe it's even correct to play both.
Well, thinking on it, they both trigger the same turn theoretically, if not Sword a turn earlier. Sure, Bitterthorn doesn't need to equip, but it comes down the turn after the original and can't attack that turn where the sword drops a turn earlier, and if you need to, gets it's first trigger the turn Bitterthorn enters. I think the original is superior for this reason, but I guess I can see the merit either way.
The only way this is true is if we have a one drop (or Crookshank Kobolds, sure) on the board first. Otherwise you spend t2 playing sword, you could equip on 3 (I think we wanna play Isshin here no?) but to what...? Are we locking ourselves in to mull to Esper Sentinel, Thraben Inspector or Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer every game? I think these are roughly equal in that we're probably gonna get the first trigger on 4 either way, but Bitterthorn doesn't require us to have another body to get said trigger, though worse later because 3 to equip is harsh for this effect.
gsgfdf wrote:
8 months ago
I would like to nominate Sun Titan|DDl. I love this card and it will do work in the mid/late game.
Let's do some due diligence here and compare/contrast with Bishop of Rebirth before we confirm/deny anything. Is Sun Titties good in this era as a six drop without haste? Bishop only gets creatures but comes down a turn earlier to attack a turn sooner. How many non-creatures are we flagging as essential to bring back that makes the six drop superior to the vampire? Are we banking really hard on Raid Bombardment sticking to clock people, or can we get away with focusing on creatures, since that's largely what our commander cares about?

Dunharrow

Okay so Sun Titan is like 30x better than Bishop of Rebirth. It attacks better, has an ETB, can snag lands and other permanents.
That being said, I think there are better curve toppers for this deck. Etali, Inferno Titan, Scourge of the Throne and Aurelia can be gamewinning with haste. Sun Titan snagging a couple 3 drops is rarely gamewinning.
We are also not playing any sun titan combos in this type of deck, right?

Dunharrow

My nomination is Rising of the Day

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
The only way this is true is if we have a one drop (or Crookshank Kobolds, sure) on the board first. Otherwise you spend t2 playing sword, you could equip on 3 (I think we wanna play Isshin here no?) but to what...? Are we locking ourselves in to mull to Esper Sentinel, Thraben Inspector or Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer every game? I think these are roughly equal in that we're probably gonna get the first trigger on 4 either way, but Bitterthorn doesn't require us to have another body to get said trigger, though worse later because to equip is harsh for this effect.
Yeah, I don't think there's a right or wrong either way. I think one or the other could be here, don't know that we need both. Honestly, flip a coin. That said, I do think Signal Pest is good here and fully intend to rec it later.
Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
Okay so Sun Titan is like 30x better than Bishop of Rebirth. It attacks better, has an ETB, can snag lands and other permanents.
That being said, I think there are better curve toppers for this deck. Etali, Inferno Titan, Scourge of the Throne and Aurelia can be gamewinning with haste. Sun Titan snagging a couple 3 drops is rarely gamewinning.
Agree, I don't think we need Sun Titan. Nay for me. Can't see us using the graveyard all that often, outside of fetches this isn't getting us there. It isn't worth the slot, and doubling the trigger isn't worth it. If we're adding a Titan my vote is for Inferno Titan.

Yea for Rising of the Day. Haste is nice.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Isn't Spiteful Banditry better for haste? I don't imagine we care about a half anthem yeah?

Oh wait nevermind I thought that did something else. Probably should have used that preview button before I replied 😳🤡

3drinks

I came in here wondering if Rising of the Day was really the best outlet. It largely was, though Emblem of the Warmind comes close as it shaves a mana off in exchange for being an aura. I'm still inclined to think Rising is better (Hammer of Purphoros is at least a side grade that has late game options). Well, I'd be remiss if I didn't ask if anger|jud isn't better. I just don't like these three mv haste enchantments. I'll relent if anyone feels I'm being too harsh, I think this is worth discussion though. Is this effect better/worse than the Lightning Greaves that's en route to being confirmed?

I'm definitely with toc that I question the validity of sun titties in this era of commander, especially when we could benefit so much more from a Delina, Wild Mage or even Fireflux Squad or anything with myriad, far sooner than a six drop. If I'm reading this right, dunharrow is also a nay, which would confirm titan out.

Looks like sword of the animist trends towards a confirm, and if it's truly a toss up between it and bitterthorn, I guess I'd lean animist since it's ⅓ the price.

Sword of the Animist yay - 2 nay - 0
Lightning Greaves yay - 2 nay - 0
Sun Titan yay - 0 nay - 3

For today we'll put @aliciaofthevast and @toctheyounger on the clock.

Dunharrow

I think we need several haste enablers. Some will be creatures, some equipment, some enchantment and some lands. Maybe even a planeswalker.
Attack triggers are fun but without haste everyone has a chance to deal with them.

Rising of the day is easier to splash than Hammer.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

I tend to like the 1cc mass haste enablers the most even if they give opponents the haste too so I would play something like mass hysteria before any of those unless we want to entomb anger since that is also one mana. That being said I kind of agree that when I tend to run haste and need it I run more than 1 effect so it actually has some consistency . I think I'm ok with something like rising of day entomb anger mass hysteria lighting greaves as the haste package so I guess I ship it i just think of it as the last one not the first. Also once Im paying 3 the red praetor is not far off but you cant run so many 5 drops so I Dunno propyl more of a I'm normally using pod in these decks thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”