The Shattered Realm: Mechanical

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

I think leaning into the five main civilizations each having a named mechanic - even a deciduous one like prowess - makes our job easier. (Worth noting also: Climbing is a thing spiders are known for.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

If we're going with glorify being some sort of initiation ritual, that feels fairly red, so maybe that's the central color, which sets us up for something like:

Fliers
TBD
TBD
Glorify go-big
Climb up
Exalted - Dauthi
Prowess - Viashino
Climb down - Elves/spiders
Glorify go-wide - Soltari
Resonate - Thalakos

How does that feel? None of the existing combinations really go into hard aggro or hard control, so maybe the BR combo would just be classic aggro and the UB would be classic control, which would give us something like:

Fast: BR, WB, UR
Medium: BG, RG, WU, RW
Slow: UG, GW, UB

New: UG, GW
Riffing: BG, RG, RW, WB
Classic: UR, RB, UB, WU

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yup, I like that! "Regular aggro" and "regular control" archetypes I think tend to be more satisfying (maybe even more powerful) if they have some kind of angle to them, like one specific synergy, on top of the generic, classic playstyle. BR lends itself to a more suicidal/glass cannon "no blockers left behind" aggro playstyle, and UB has cool removal tools that can feel oppressive in a fun way and the possibility of either "feel smart" (Havengul Lich) or "feel like you made a deal with the devil" (Grimgrin, Corpse-Born) creatures on the top.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Awesome! That gives us:

Fliers
removal control
"reckless" aggro
Glorify go-big
Climb up
Exalted - Dauthi
Prowess - Viashino
Resonate - Thalakos

Obviously these are by no means locked in (still pending the buy-in of @Venedrex at the very least), but they feel like a good jumping-off point to me, and we can always revisit them if we run into issues later on.

I don't want to get out over my skis, but maybe it's time to just start churning out some cards? We still haven't settled on exactly what climb does, but we have the general idea (scrying and slowing the game down on the way up, milling and ramping on the way down) and it might be easier to just iterate our way to the right answer.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Awesome! That gives us:

Fliers
removal control
"reckless" aggro
Glorify go-big
Climb up
Exalted - Dauthi
Prowess - Viashino
Resonate - Thalakos

Obviously these are by no means locked in (still pending the buy-in of @Venedrex at the very least), but they feel like a good jumping-off point to me, and we can always revisit them if we run into issues later on.

I don't want to get out over my skis, but maybe it's time to just start churning out some cards? We still haven't settled on exactly what climb does, but we have the general idea (scrying and slowing the game down on the way up, milling and ramping on the way down) and it might be easier to just iterate our way to the right answer.
Yeah, I'm down to start making some cards :)
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sure, let's have at it. I've been sitting on this one for a while:

Weaving Without End 6GG
Instant (R)
Weaving Without End deals 8 damage to each creature with flying. Create eight 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach. Mill eight cards, then return up to two permanent cards with total mana value 8 or less from your graveyard to your hand.
Eight times eight - Elvish expression meaning "an uncountable quantity"

Venedrex

OK, let me see if I can steal from KTK/Every set with mana creature with set synergy.

*Name WIP*

Underspire Shaman
Creature — Elf Shaman
: Add .
Resonate: Add . Activate only if you control a enchantment with the same mana value as Underspire Shaman.
1/1

slimytrout

I'm going to get started on a file of "favors" (name pending). Since they're important for multiple mechanics at once, it seems worth having a draft early on.
Favors
Show
Hide
Favor of Ferocity 1
Enchantment - Aura Favor (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0.
Favorite 0

Favor of Durability 1
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +0/+1.
Favorite 0

Favor of Warding 1
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has ward 3
Favorite 0

Favor of Exaltation 1
Enchant creature
Exalted
Favorite 0

Favor of Speed 1R
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has haste.
Favorite R

Favor of Agility 1W
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1. As long as its your turn, enchanted creature has first strike.
Favorite W

Favor of Bulk 1G
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has trample.
Favorite G

Favor of Wings 1U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1. As long as its your turn, enchanted creature has flying.
Favorite U

Favor of Venom 1B
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has deathtouch.
Favorite B

Favor of Curiosity 2U
Enchantment - Aura Favor (U)
Enchant creature
When Favor of Curiosity enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card.
Favorite U

Favor of Fury 2R
Enchant creature
When Favor of Fury enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, it deals 1 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
Favorite R

Favor of Vengeance 2B
Enchant creature
When Favor of Vengeance enters the battlefield, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Favorite B

Favor of Swarming 2G
Enchant creature
When Favor of Swarming enters the battlefield, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach.
When enchanted creature dies, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach.
Favorite G

Favor of Loyalty 2W
Enchant creature
When Favor of Loyalty enters the battlefield, target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Whenever enchanted creature blocks, target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Favorite W

Winds' Favor 1WU
Enchantment - Aura Favor (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
Creatures you control with flying get +1/+1.
Favorite {w/u}{w/u}

Isolation's Favor 1UB
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2. As long as you control no other creatures, enchanted creature can't be blocked.
Favorite {u/b}{u/b}

Blood's Favor 1BR
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2
If a player would gain life, that player loses that much life instead.
Favorite {b/r}{b/r}

Nature's Favor 1RG
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature becomes the target of a spell, it deals damage equal to its power to target opponent.
Favorite {r/g}{r/g}

Summit's Favor 1GW
Enchant creature
At the beginning of your end step, climb up.
Favorite {g/w}{g/w}

Favor of Invincibility 5
Enchantment - Aura Favor (M)
Enchant creature
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.
Favorite 3
Currently at the same rarity distribution/number as lesson in STX -- not sure what we're aiming for here but seems like a good start.
Last edited by slimytrout 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Venedrex

slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
I'm going to get started on a file of "favors" (name pending). Since they're important for multiple mechanics at once, it seems worth having a draft early on.
Favors
Show
Hide
Favor of Ferocity 1
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0.
Favorite 0

Favor of Durability 1
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +0/+1.
Favorite 0

Favor of Warding 1
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has ward 3
Favorite 0

Favor of Exaltation 1
Enchant creature
Exalted
Favorite 0

Favor of Speed 1R
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has haste.
Favorite R

Favor of Agility 1W
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1. As long as its your turn, enchanted creature has first strike.
Favorite W

Favor of Bulk 1G
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has trample.
Favorite G

Favor of Wings 1U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1. As long as its your turn, enchanted creature has flying.
Favorite U

Favor of Venom 1B
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has deathtouch.
Favorite B
Awesome! Yeah, I really like the play pattern of playing a creature, and using glorify for whatever situation you are in. If you have a cheap creature with glorify, you basically can make it into numerous different creatures depending on the mana you have and what you need for the situation. So you could make a 2/2 creature into a 4/4 with trample and haste, or a creature with "Whenever this deals combat damage to a player, draw a card." I think players will really love that flexibility like you stated earlier in the thread.

Also, I think it is cool that players can be a little daring and put some favors in their sideboard and try to splash a color for them, but if they don't end up drawing the 1-3 lands for the splash, you don't have to worry about them being a dead draw, i.e a favor in a deck or whatever.

slimytrout

Just a couple fun alt-win legendaries for the climbing decks (might be changed/deleted depending on which direction climbing goes, but they just occurred to me):

*something*, the Underdweller 1BG
Legendary Creature - Elf Druid (R)
Menace, deathtouch
Whenever *something* deals combat damage to a player, climb down.
If you would draw a card while your library has no cards in it, you win the game instead.
2/2

*whatever*, the Apogee 2GW
Legendary Creature - Angel (R)
Flying, lifelink
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control for the first time each turn, climb up. Then, if you have at least 20 more life more than your starting life total, you win the game.
3/3

Leaving the names blank because (as far as I can tell) we haven't yet decided if we're going with any sort of naming theme (maybe a discussion for the creative thread) or just generic high fantasy.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That is a cool mirrored pair! See the other thread for my first ideas for naming conventions.

Venedrex

Link to a Maro article on a basic set skeleton: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/makin ... 2021-03-22

These are super rough first ideas so, don't judge them too harshly they will most likely change or be removed.

Destabilize
Instant — (C)
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Scry 1.
The Thalakos have studied the intricate nature of the rifts and have learned how to maintain or collapse them at will.

Code of Hierarchy
Enchantment — (U)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay . If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Respect builds loyalty. Loyalty builds honor. Honor builds valor. Valor builds empires --Ancient Dauthi inscription.

slimytrout

Yeah the set skeleton is super useful, I was using it on my solo 4X-inspired set (currently on hiatus). Another thing that I wanted to start is taking a stab at some signpost uncommons -- just as these are good anchors for a draft, I've also found them to be helpful in defining what the different archetypes are trying to do from a design standpoint.

Suntouched Skyship 1WU
Artifact - Vehicle (U)
Flying
Whenever Suntouched Skyship enters the battlefield or attacks, target creature you control gains flying until end of turn.
Crew 1 (Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 1 or more: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
3/3

Call of the Edge 3UB
Enchantment (U)
Flash
When Call of the Edge enters the battlefield, destroy target creature you don't control.
Whenever a creature you don't control dies, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card. This ability triggers only once each turn.
The sirens' song is nothing compared to the whispers of the Warp.

Cavern Kobold BR
Creature - Kobold (U)
Menace
Whenever Cavern Kobold attacks, you may sacrifice another permanent. If you do, Cavern Kobold deals 3 damage to each opponent and gets +3/+0 until end of turn.
"Kobolds might not be strong or smart, but there are a lot of them, and they're hungry."
-Kaxvinka Copperscale

0/1

Stonewoods Shaman 1RG
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
When Stonewoods Shaman enters the battlefield, glorify the creature you control with the greatest power. (Glorify reminder text.)
Sacrifice Stonewoods Shaman: Target creature gains trample and hexproof until end of turn.
3/3

High Meadows Hermit 2GW
Creature - Soltari Druid (U)
When High Meadows Hermit enters the battlefield, climb up. (Move your altitude marker one level higher.)
At the beginning of your end step, if you're in the heights, create a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying.
"The higher you are, the more beauty you can behold."
3/3

Servant of the Suprema 1WB
Creature - Dauthi Advisor (U)
Exalted
Whenever another creature you control attacks alone, it gains indestructible until end of turn.
"Just as our world has its rightful order, so too must society have structure if it is to endure."
2/3

Hook and Ladder 2UR
Instant (U)
Create a 2/2 red Viashino creature token with prowess, then glorify it. (glorify reminder text)
To climb the Ladder is to risk death with every swing of a pick.

Underforest Recluse BG
Creature - Spider (U)
Reach, deathtouch
When Underforest Recluse dies, climb down. (Move your altitude marker one level lower.)
BG, Exile Underforest Recluse from your graveyard: Create a tapped 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach. Activate only if you're in the depths.
1/2

Soltari Sergeant 2RW
Creature - Soltari Soldier (U)
When Soltari Sergeant enters the battlefield, glorify it. (glorify reminder text
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create X 2/1 red and white Soltari creature tokens with haste, where X is the number of enchanted creatures you control. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.
3/4

Secrets of the Warp 1GU
Enchantment (U)
Nonenchantment creatures you control have "Resonate - At the beginning of your end step, if you control an enchantment with the same mana value as this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature."
Remove two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Draw a card.
Last edited by slimytrout 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The obvious other step is to make low-rarity cards serving two archetypes at once.

Pegasus Patrician 1W
Creature - Dauthi Noble (C)
Exalted
3W: Pegasus Patrician gets +2/+2 and gains flying until end of turn. Activate only once per turn.
"Because I have such a choice mount, I bedeck my steed as finely as I do myself."
1/1

Rogue Grenadier R
Creature - Viashino Rogue (U)
Prowess
Rogue Grenadier can't block.
When Rogue Grenadier dies, sacrifice a land and Rogue Grenadier deals damage equal to its toughness to each player.
"Don't touch that weapon!" hissed Shlakiv, not indicating he was any more qualified to handle it.
2/1

Venedrex

Uncover the Den
Sorcery — (U)
Create three 0/1 red Kobold creature tokens.

Reflective Barrier
Creature — Wall (U)
, : Scry 1.
0/4

(For and , I figure both want something to stall.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

UW is definitely interested in gumming things up on the ground as well. That scry ability is pretty expensive though, especially when compared to Sigiled Starfish (which was admittedly a draft all-star).

Elvish Traveler 2G
Creature - Elf Scout (C)
When Elvish Traveler enters the battlefield, climb up or down.
3/2

Acolyte of the Depths 1B
Creature - Dauthi Cleric (C)
Exalted
When Acolyte of the Depths enters the battlefield, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
0/1

How do folks feel about there being some sirens in the shattered realm? Previously they've always been associated with oceans, but I like the idea of them luring people off of edges and we are going to have a lot of blue flying slots to fill. I ask because I wanted to suggest:

Mistral Singer 2U
Creature - Siren (C)
Flying
Prowess
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
How do folks feel about there being some sirens in the shattered realm? Previously they've always been associated with oceans, but I like the idea of them luring people off of edges and we are going to have a lot of blue flying slots to fill.
Sure, I like them creatively here!

slimytrout

Clutches of Darkness 1B
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets -2/-2.
When enchanted creature dies, climb down. (Move your altitude marker one level lower.)

Greedy Kobold R
Creature - Kobold (C)
When Greedy Kobold enters the battlefield, glorify it.
0/1

And just a few fun exalted ideas I had:

Dittetta, Grand Suprema 2WB
Legendary Creature - Dauthi Noble (M)
Vigilance
Exalted
Whenever an exalted ability you control triggers, each defending player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
T, Pay 5 life: Destroy target creature. Activate only as a sorcery and only if Dittetta attacked alone this turn.
4/4

Blessing of the Suprema W
Instant (U)
Until end of turn, target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice. If that creature is attacking alone, it gets +1/+1 for each permanent you control with exalted.
Last edited by slimytrout 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Venedrex

Skylane Siren
Creature — Siren (U)
Flying
Resonate — When Skylane Siren enters the battlefield, if you control an enchantment with the same mana value as Skylane Siren, gain control of target creature an opponent controls for as long as you control Skylane Siren.
3/3

slimytrout

Bridge of Webs 1G
Enchantment (U)
When Bridge of Webs enters the battlefield, climb up or down.
1, Sacrifice Bridge of Webs: Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

Equalize 1UU
Instant (C)
Counter target spell. Return its controller to the center.

Aineerie Wingscout 2W
Creature - Human Scout (C)
Flying
When Aineerie Wingscout enters the battlefield, glorify it. (glorify reminder text.)
1/2

Venedrex

Underforest Prowler
Creature — Cat (U)
When Stonewood Prowler enters the battlefield, glorify it.
It stalks the groves for prey that has fallen from the world above.
2/2

Stonewood Ancient
Creature — Treefolk (C)
Trample
When Stonewood Ancient enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life.
He remembers a time when the trees still grew and blossomed.
6/6

Benevolent Guide
Creature — Faerie Scout (C)
Flying
, , Tap an untapped creature you control: climb up.
2/1

Daring Skysailer
Creature — Viashino Pirate (C)
As long as Daring Skysailer is enchanted, it has prowess.
2/2

Monument of Ambition
Artifact (R)
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control dies, you lose 1 life and draw a card.

Monument of Conviction
Artifact (R)
When Monument of Conviction enters the battlefield, glorify for each creature you control.
Creatures you control get +1/+1

Shared Fervor
Enchantment — Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2+2 and has menace.
When Shared Fervor enters the battlefield, glorify.

Atmospheric Flux
Enchantment — (R)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose one:
. Creatures you control with flying get +1/+0 until end of turn.
. Creatures your opponents control without flying get -1/-0 until end of turn.
When Atmospheric Flux enters the battlefield, glorify.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

slimytrout

Ascending Chains 2W
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
When Ascending Chains enters the battlefield, climb up.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.

Twilight Trapper 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Exalted
W, T: Tap target creature.
1/1

Gloryweave G
Instant (C)
Target creature you control gains hexproof and indestructible until end of turn. Glorify it. (Glorify reminder text.)

Warpseer Wizard 3U
Creature - Thalakos Wizard (U)
Resonate - When Warpseer Wizard enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand. If you control an enchantment with the same mana value as Warpseer Wizard, instead put that creature on top of its owner's library.
2/2

OR

Warpseer Wizard 3U
Creature - Thalakos Wizard (R)
Resonate - When Warpseer Wizard enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand. As long as you control an enchantment with the same mana value as Warpseer Wizard, that creature's owner can't cast spells with the same name as that creature.
3/3

Venedrex

Stalking Pathways
Enchantment — (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, climb up or down.
As long as your height is 2 or lower, creatures you control get +1+0 and have menace.
As long as your height is 4 or higher, creatures you control get +0/+2 and have reach.
From above, they watch the skies. From below, they slay those who trespass.

Engraved Handholds
Artifact (U)
: Add one mana of any color.
, : Climb up or down.

Dutiful Surveyor
Thalakos Scout (C)
Whenever you climb for the first time each turn, scry 1.
, : Mill a card.
1/3

slimytrout

Aerial Exploits U
Instant (C)
Target creature you control gains flying until end of turn. Glorify it.

Venedrex

Soar Through the Clouds
Sorcery — (U)
Draw two cards.
Climb up or down, then if your height is 4 or higher, scry 1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”