The Community Deck Build Project v8.0

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 9 months ago

Idk, maybe Windgrace's Judgment is okay. It does hit the best thing each opponent has. I am unsure if I want that, or just some way to draw cards instead, a la Skeletal Scrying or something. I guess I'll yay it, but if it doesn't make it I won't be surprised.

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 9 months ago

Nice and easy, Rankle and his Prankles. It does seem at first blush a bit too universal, but he has haste, he's well costed, and his triggers are pretty flexible. I've found him really useful before.

For reference Rankle, Master of Pranks
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 9 months ago

Sublime Epiphany is really great and has won me one game or another in Ephara.
I'll yea Windgrace's Judgment. I like the solve-more-than-one-problem mentality. Being an instant helps a lot, too.

Nontheless, my nomination is the already discussed Rankle, Master of Pranks. Great card, supports our themes, rankleprankleschmankle.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 9 months ago

Cheonice, rankle has already been submitted. Please select again.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Well... it was late. Then let's go with Hypnotic Specter.

3drinks

I'm gonna make the executive action that cuts Waste Not, now that it's been live a couple days and I believe the arguments against it to be superior to those for it. I'm also going to yay Rankle, and based on the conversations before, nay Hippie.

We'll put @aliciaofthevast and @Henlock on the clock.

Waste Not yay - 2 nay - 2
Windgrace's Judgment yay - 2 nay - 1
Rankle, Master of Pranks yay - 2 nay - 0
Hypnotic Specter|leb yay - 0 nay - 1

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

It's soooooooo not gonna make it, buutttt I'm gonna yay Hippie anyway cause a girl's gotta try! And I'm gonna yay Rankle too.

For today I think I wanna be the bad girl that people change tables to get away from, and let's nominate Mindslicer. :skull:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 9 months ago

Nay Windgrace's Judgment. If interaction spells are the vegetables of your deck, you might as well keep it lean. The cheesy goodness of removing more than you absolutely need to is tempting, but you'll feel better if you stick to the lean stuff. If you're using spot removal it should be dirt cheap. Holding up five mana for instant speed interaction in this deck doesn't seem like a winning proposition.

Yea Rankle, Master of Pranks.

Yea Mindslicer. I'm not sure it's what we want in the end but I do love the card from my old Chainer, Dementia Master deck.

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 9 months ago

Alright, lot to vote.

Yay Hippie. It's cheap, evasive and annoying. It's also a bit of a rattlesnake and might elicit some suboptimal responses from our opponents. People hate discarding at random. Plus, he's cool.

Yay Mindslicer, this effect on a body is something we want.

Yay Rankle, it does everything we like.

I'll be putting Words of Waste in discussion. With all the card draw effects we have, including Frostfang and Toski, this can machinegun our opponents hands away. It can keep hands feeble.once we're a bit in control. It also has a very niche plus of saving us from decking should that come up.

3drinks

I was watching the modern pro tour top eight this morning so I didn't update. Luckily it's Sunday which is slow and we still got some conversation to be had here.

toctheyounger

I'll go yea on Mindslicer. Card is rough. But wholly fair here, we have no real way to abuse it.

Nay Hypnotic Specter. It's one of the first cards I truly coveted from the game, and will always have a place in my heart, but it's time in the sun is over.

I think Words of Waste could put in work. Shredding all opponents' hands is nice, and all going well we can trigger it easy enough. I do wonder if it'll end up win more in terms of not being useful when were're off our plan, but we'll see.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 9 months ago

I will yay Words of Waste
I am concerned about Mindslicer. We don't have sac outlets (other than Rankle which Yay by the way). I don't like how dependant we are on opponents to trigger mindslicer and that they can use it to their advantage and our disadvantage (like killing it in our draw step). Will not vote on Mindslicer until I hear from others in case I missed something.

Hypnotic Specter is okay in this type of deck. I would not fault anyone for playing him. I think he is too slow for our gameplan of being fast out of the gate and hitting for 20 and knocking down handsizes to stay ahead. In that respect targeted discard may be better (Thoughtseize for example).
But if the game drags on at all I would rather bash with Hippie than get diminishing returns on our general. He holds equipment well too.
I will vote Yay but note that if better saboteurs get nominated I could see cutting him later on.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Lot to do here, including a couple executive actions from me to clear up some stalemates. late stage edit: dunharrow with the clutch clinch vote to lock it in.

I do think Words of Waste has some legs. Similar to Sadistic Hypnotist but I am unsure we have the disposable bodies to feed it and it's sorcery locked.

And, rounding out the end of the pick cycle is me, and I believe this is the moment I suggest Geth's Grimoire. I think we have enough to make it a powerhouse considering how easy it is to make it do more than a 4mv brick. And starting off the next cycle, it's a Monday so let's get @Dunharrow on the clock.

re: sac outlets - I don't think it's unreasonable to remix the land base to include high market at the very least. PhyTow is also within the single card budget. Historically, this game has always seen people eschew sac outlet nominations in favour of {bomb #68} and I think that's a mistake.

Rankle, Master of Pranks yay - 5 nay - 0
Mindslicer yay - 3 nay - 0
Hypnotic Specter|leb yay - 3 nay - 2

Windgrace's Judgment yay - 2 nay - 2
Words of Waste yay - 2 nay - 0
Geth's Grimoire yay - 0 nay - 0

Dunharrow

Nay on Grimoire. If we can't support Waste Not I don't see Grimoire being better. It's also a card that wants wheels more than single instances of discard. I am definitely open to reviewing Grimoire and Waste not at the end of this.

Bottomless Pit is my nomination.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

I'm not sure Words of Waste does enough for us. It eats resources like nothing and comes down pretty late. Bottomless Pit (which I'll yay) does a similar thing without constant mana investment. Nay to Words of Waste.

We could go for some one-time discard spells. Thoughtseize has allready been mentioned. Hymn to Tourach could shred the control players hand.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 9 months ago

Nay Words of Waste. It did some work in Erebos, God of the Dead for me but without the ability to draw cards on demand I don't think it will be particularly useful. Similarly, nay Geth's Grimoire. We're not going to run enough discard effects to make it worth running.

Yea Bottomless Pit for sure. It's a house, and even though it prevents us from setting up with Heroic Intervention effects it prevents our opponents from mounting a sustainable defense if they're behind.

I could go for Thoughtseize but not Hymn. Hymn is good in 1v1 because it can hit lands and take opponents completely out of the game. In multiplayer the likelihood of that is much lower. Seize gets us the most relevant card from the most relevant player, and the extra black mana pip isn't worth it in my opinion.

3drinks

Rather than Hymn, I'd like Tourach, Dread Cantor honestly. I don't think thoughtseize is ever good enough outside 1v1. Even a Mindstab Thrull|fem (another saboteur if ever there was one) would be preferable.
Last edited by 3drinks 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I wonder how long before someone nominates Tinybones, Trinket Thief 🙃

I'll yay bottomless pit. I also don't think the grimoire is the pick when Anvil of Bogardan is still outstanding. That'd do more for us I think.

toctheyounger

Yea Bottomless Pit. Great card, just what we want.

Nay to Geth's Grimoire. If we were in an 8-rack style hand shredder build, sure. Here, our discard strategy is already a secondary line to follow, adding in another layer of synergy is just asking for it to rot in our hands and add nothing to our primary lines of play.

3drinks

I'm gonna read the writing on the wall and call it for these two, the arguments against them speak louder than the use case they present. Similarly, I'll offer the last confirmation to Bottomless Pit.

Let's put @toctheyounger and @cheonice on the clock.

Words of Waste yay - 2 nay - 2
Geth's Grimoire yay - 0 nay - 2

Bottomless Pit yay - 2 nay - 0
aliciaofthevast wrote:
9 months ago
I wonder how long before someone nominates Tinybones, Trinket Thief 🙃

I'll yay bottomless pit. I also don't think the grimoire is the pick when Anvil of Bogardan is still outstanding. That'd do more for us I think.

Let's just add the whole ass Bad to the Bones™ secret lair tbh. Never has one set contained everything we need. And the art is killer.

toctheyounger

(fwiw I think Tinybones is in the same boat as Grimoire, it's a tertiary strategy that adds nothing to our primary strategy)

Let's go for Necrogen Mists.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I support necrogen mists!
toctheyounger wrote:
9 months ago
(fwiw I think Tinybones is in the same boat as Grimoire, it's a tertiary strategy that adds nothing to our primary strategy)

Let's go for Necrogen Mists.
I'm torn realistically between the skeleton or a guul draz specter that gets big when it's job is done. But tinybones drawing a ceiling of 3 extra in a turn cycle is a pretty great feeling. 🙃

Dunharrow

yay necrogen mists
I say we wait until the end of the build to see how many discard effects we have and see if we include Tinybones or Waste Not or Grimoire. But not all 3.

3drinks

Looks like Necrogen Mists has been confirmed, and in that vein, let's bring over Bottomless Pit which is hanging on 2 but surely is an inevitable confirm it was already in, I must have been looking at a previous post. The cards are similar enough if one is great then so is the other.

Let's put @Henlock and @TheGildedGoose on the clock.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”