The Community Deck Build Project v8.0

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

Yea Saryth. I had toyed with nominating it myself but havent't played with it before. Seems like a great fit here.

I'm with alicia on the sword. The payoff is very good, but I don't see yet what we're doing with all that extra mana. There's not even much interaction to hold up over the turn cycle. Nay from me, I'd honestly rather see Sword of the Animist, at least we don't need to connect with it.

I'm gonna say nay to Thrun too. It's the Saryth we have at home.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 10 months ago

Yay Saryth
Nay demon
I want to wait on Thrun. If we get some good equipment in the deck it could work.

I know this deck wants swords but I think we are picking the wrong ones. Nay FaF.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 10 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
10 months ago
I know this deck wants swords but I think we are picking the wrong ones. Nay FaF.
Maybe. But then let's talk about it. Which Sword would serve our cause best?

Sword of Body and Mind --> probably the worst
Sword of Feast and Famine --> atm discussed
Sword of Fire and Ice --> some potential?
Sword of Forge and Frontier --> some potential?
Sword of Hearth and Home --> Sword of the Animist is probably better
Sword of Light and Shadow --> some potential? Prot against two removal colours, okayish abilities
Sword of Once and Future --> some potential?
Sword of Sinew and Steel --> some potential?
Sword of Truth and Justice --> not on theme
Sword of War and Peace --> allready voted out

Dunharrow

@cheonice

Fire and Ice is best, but probably not getting in because of budget limit
Forge and Frontier is good - CA is good for this deck
I think Once and Future could be great since we will have a lot of low cmc spells in this deck.

Those are the ones I think would be best. Sinew and Steel and Light and Shadow are fine but I would rather have ones that always generate CA vs ones that are very situational.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

Forge and Frontier is the best in my opinion, followed by Fire and Ice. While we don't particularly need the ramp portion of FaF, it does pair nicely with the other ability. I think it's the second best sword overall, actually. Fire and Ice is also solid, as burning dorks to remove future blockers from other opponents.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 10 months ago

I don't think Forge and Frontier is good at all, tbh. I think it's just the shiny new toy everyone wants. But I am surprised SoOaF is a $4 mythic...............

And I hate the I can no longer use SoFaF to talk Feast and Famine because stupid Forge and Frontier has the same initials :fuming:

I'm gonna confirm the demon as a nay, as well as nay the one true SoFaF. I don't think the swords are it here, we're talking 5 to play and pick up. We have Mask, Lens, Jitte, if we want another equip, I have to imagine it's Shadowspear.

Finishing the cycle is me, and starting the next round we'll put @TheGildedGoose so we can hear this theorem.

Saryth, the Viper's Fang yay - 4 nay - 0
Thrun, the Last Troll yay - 2 nay - 3
Archfiend of Despair yay - 0 nay - 3

Sword of Feast and Famine yay - 0 nay - 2
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 10 months ago

My nomination for this round is Torment of Hailfire

I am not sure about Sword of Feast and Famine. We don't have instant speed sinks to take the most advantage of it, but this kind of effect is nothing to ecoff at. We should probably wait on the swords.

I was thinking that if Virtus the Veiled gets dealt with quickly our strategy takes a huge hit. It might be useful to run a light recursion package, What do you think?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

The deck is low to the ground and aggressive, which can put us at odds with the table. Our opponents will be gunning for us pretty quickly, even with proper politicking, and 2-3v1 ain't great odds. While we're currently running a meager interaction suite of removal, I don't think it's going to be enough to disrupt our opponents both from progressing their game plan while protecting our own. How do we fix this problem?

My nomination for today is Oppression.

It's not going to make us any friends, but we're not here to make friends. We're here to assassinate. Running the enemies out of options to respond with while we have a dominant board state is a pretty good place to be. The best way to achieve this is by running cards that make all of our opponents discard cards en masse in some form. There are several other options I could've gone with, but Oppression is the best here because it specifically hoses control decks. They're the most threatening deck at the table for us (excluding Consultation Oracle decks, of course) so naturally they're the ones we need to target to shore up our weaknesses.

Obviously it and the best discard spells of its ilk will affect us as well, and there are a number of ways to mitigate this. Besides the board based card draw we're already running the best of these are ways to recur cards from our graveyard on permanents, either through an ETB or activated ability. Offsetting the card disadvantage without relying on our hand is a great way to break parity.

I don't want to dictate the direction of the deck, but this strategy will require a commitment to a package of 5-7 discard permanents and 6-9 recursion permanents. In other words, if it's something we want to do, it will require more than my nominations to make it work. I would prefer people to abstain from voting before we all get the opportunity to discuss this first.

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 10 months ago

I don't know if this onewill end up being the one, but I do agree thatw what this deck is needing is some kind of subtheme.

I am already in for recursion. Even Raise Dead effects will seem good here.

This is an important choice. I am not sure it will be the most efficient way of building this but it is surely an interesting approach and something I have never done. I will back Oppression

Torment of Hailfire looks even deadlier if hands are.empty.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 10 months ago

Hmhmhm, this could work. I was not sure, how we could fill the rest of the deck. The swords weren't received well, either. Discard control sound like a reasonable option. We allready run a decent amount of mana elves. Add in some more saboteurs and recoursion effects and this could be great ... for us!
Torment of Hailfire plays into this as well.

I'll back the discard plan, too.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 10 months ago

Soooooo, does this mean I can submit Specter's Shroud and hypnotic specter|4ed? Because I'm in!

toctheyounger

I'm in for mass discard. I think it fits well with the plan we have in place, and it'll favor us nicely. It's also not something we generally need a ton of mana to get going, most of these effects are set and forget and low to the ground. Sure, it might make for some miserable games here and there but I think the outcome here is we either do our thing and the games end early or we get smacked down early and the pod carries on. Discard in that respect is fine. I like things like Necrogen Mists and Mindslicer here to diversify our options. Larceny could be good too, but it isn't cheap to cast. It does allow us to be more targeted in whom we strip answers from though, and it means we can open up political angles to knock other players out of the game, so it's not terrible either.

I'll also agree, Rankle master of Prankle is the ideal discard creature here. Card is massively underrated.

Oh and yea Torment of Hailfire. It can get costly but I don't think it'll need to to seal the deal for us.

3drinks

Hmm, Oppression huh. I guess that means I want my nomination to be Waste Not then.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

I will yay Waste Not, Oppression and Torment. I like that we found a subtheme that isn't recursion since we seem to do that a lot.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 10 months ago

Yay Waste Not and Oppression. I like this subtheme as well.
Yay for Torment too.

3drinks

Finally, it's Silent Specter's time to ride one more time. I'd have never thought about discard in a multiplayer deck. I hope someone picks this guy here. Guul Draz Specter too. Hell, the whole Tiny Bones secret lair, tbh............

Sword of Feast and Famine yay - 0 nay - 2
Torment of Hailfire yay - 4 nay - 0
Oppression yay - 6 nay - 0

Waste Not yay - 2 nay - 0

Let's put @Dunharrow and @gsgfdf on the clock.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Nay to the sword to put the nail in it.

Nay Waste Not. While we're using discard spells, we're not a "discard deck" and I see us drawing this card when we have no discard options and it's more or less completely dead.

Dunharrow

Goose is right but Waste Not is so much fun I will not change my vote. Waste Not likes wheels especially (and Dark Deal is not worth playing I think).

My nomination is Liliana of the Veil. I like edicts for our deck, and I like her making everyone discard.

toctheyounger

Nay to Waste not. It's too far down the discard/wheel rabbit hole. It's gonna be dead weight, almost certainly.

I'm into Liliana of the Veil, if there's a deck that wants it it's one like this.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 10 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
aliciaofthevast wrote:
10 months ago
Soooooo, does this mean I can submit Specter's Shroud and hypnotic specter|4ed? Because I'm in!
I'm more inclined to have Cunning Lethemancer and Rankle, Master of Pranks in first.
Aw. And here I was ready to turn one our dark ritual into hippie like it's 1996 😔

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunharrow wrote:
10 months ago
Goose is right but Waste Not is so much fun I will not change my vote. Waste Not likes wheels especially (and Dark Deal is not worth playing I think).
Valid.
My nomination is Liliana of the Veil. I like edicts for our deck, and I like her making everyone discard.
Yea for sure. This card did well for me in Erebos and will do well here.
aliciaofthevast wrote:
10 months ago
Aw. And here I was ready to turn one our dark ritual into hippie like it's 1996 😔
Don't get me wrong, being in 1996 instead of this foul year of our Lord 2023 would be great, but unfortunately one of my favorite cards is in terms of optimization virtually unplayable now. I would love to play my German FBB copy, but alas.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 10 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
10 months ago
Yay to Liliana of the Veil. I never thought I would play this in EDH but if ever there was a deck that fit.

My nomination is Windgrace's Judgment. I can't come up with something interesting so I will suggest some solid removal for my turn.

Dunharrow

I love the design of windgrace's judgment, but was always concerned with the MV. The EV is strong, like Casualties of War, but if you need to kill something in a pinch it takes up your whole turn.

I feel like this could be the right deck for it though. Essentially, we are coming hot out the gate, applying pressure, and then keeping up interaction to finish people off. I will hold off my vote until I hear more thoughts on it.

3drinks

I'll yay Liliana to confirm, wow at a $12 price. I remember when she was so hot she was $78+. Idk, maybe it is good enough, but I'm going to nay windgrace judgment like I'd nay casualties at war. Gone are the days where we are spending 5 or 6 just to deal with problem cards, the format is much faster than that and there's only so many expensive cards like these you can have in a deck. Can't really spend 5-6 and pick off a few cards, if we're investing this much in an answer, it had better be a Cy Rift or Farewell level. At this spot we'd be better with a Maelstrom Pulse or Abrupt Decay, not spending a turn removing something. Maybe windgrace judgment is different cause it's an instant, idk, I'm not super excited to spend five to hit something and then hit a couple cards out of opportunity cost rather than that I am actually needing to hit. Casualties at War though, this card is straight up lmaowtfbinderrotjank. No one is playing Sublime Epiphany, right? Same thing.

Let's put @cheonice and @toctheyounger on the clock.

Sword of Feast and Famine yay - 0 nay - 3
Liliana of the Veil yay - 3 nay - 0
Waste Not yay - 2 nay - 2
Windgrace's Judgment yay - 0 nay - 1

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”