The Community Deck Build Project v8.0

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 11 months ago

Jitte is $11. Wow I remember the days this was $35 or $50 if you wanted the GP promo dang 😳 you love to see it. Of course I'll back it.

Having been on the receiving end of that stupid pact weapon 🙄 it is very good I know! Oh, when that comes in that gives me a phenomenal idea for my next card!!

gsgfdf
Pronoun: he / him

Post by gsgfdf » 11 months ago

Yay to Pact Weapon. Add me to the group that has not seen this card before. It looks great though.
Yay to Jitte.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 11 months ago

Think it's safe to say Umezawa's Jitte and Pact Weapon have been confirmed.

Let's put @Dunharrow on the clock today and, since she clearly has a pick in mind, @aliciaofthevast.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 11 months ago

Let's go with Swords to Plowshares on this one.

Is this deck bordering on goodstuffy?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

@Dunharrow I think you got the wrong card.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Post by aliciaofthevast » 11 months ago

Ohhhh, I'm up early this cycle! Well you know how we like Pact Weapon? What if we put it on something hard to remove?

I nominate Thrun, the Last Troll for today's pick!

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 10 months ago

....So I'm going to rule that Swords to Plowshares|brc is a confirmed cut in this bg deck.....but please feel free to take another swing.

I am all about Thrun here, and would even postulate that we can play Troll Ascetic|mrd too.

It's the weekend and historically that always goes slow so we'll stay where we're at for now.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Alright, it's back to the work week, let's get some conversation going again. I for one happily support Thrun because it's quick to come down, hard to deal with, and is really good at punching lower life total people in the face.

Let's add @toctheyounger and @gsgfdf to the clock.

Thrun, the Last Troll yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

I'm not so sure about Thrun. It's a fine Magic card, but I feel like we could have a little more oomph from our four drops. At the end of the day, Thrun is but a mere beater, no matter how difficult it is to interact with, and that's not where I like being. I want my beaters to have more value, especially if they're in the middle of the pack in terms of cost. Unfortunately, it gets a nay from me.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 10 months ago

Lol I thought Gorm was WG.

OOps

Gonna blame my kids for that one.

Let's go with Infernal Grasp
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

Yea Grasp.

Now that it's within reach of our budget let's try Archfiend of Despair. Even if the reflection trigger never gets off the ground the lifegain static is nice too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Post by aliciaofthevast » 10 months ago

Infernal grasp is probably the best universal creature removal. Two life is such a paltry cost and the mana is clean. Yay.

Is archfiend of despair good if we're playing it fair as an eight drop? Or is it entomb bait?

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
10 months ago
Is archfiend of despair good if we're playing it fair as an eight drop? Or is it entomb bait?
I'd prefer not to be hardcasting it personally, but idk. Being honest I'm kind of at a loss for good picks atm, this deck is not something I've built before. Belbe was close but specific enough to be quite different.

toctheyounger

I'm into that, I can follow someone else's lead, I just don't know what subthemes fit well alongside this strategy.

3drinks

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
I'm into that, I can follow someone else's lead, I just don't know what subthemes fit well alongside this strategy.
Admittedly yeah, I've been making picks with the assumption that we want to halve life totals, then play efficient midrange threats to clock people.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
10 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Admittedly yeah, I've been making picks with the assumption that we want to halve life totals, then play efficient midrange threats to clock people.
Yeah I'm kinda just out of my element a little. I've done tempo combat damage decks but not for a while.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
3drinks wrote:
10 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Yeah I'm kinda just out of my element a little. I've done tempo combat damage decks but not for a while.
Well, my next pick is going to be somewhat contentious and will define a lot of the rest of the deck, I think. It'll need a lot of justification, but I think I have some solid arguments. I wait with bated breath.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 10 months ago

Nay on Thrun. I find the troll a really underwhelming threat, especially at that mana cost.

I would like to nominate Primal Order. I haven't tried this card before but I think it's on theme as a midrange threat pressuring life totals.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 10 months ago

gsgfdf wrote:
10 months ago
I would like to nominate Primal Order. I haven't tried this card before but I think it's on theme as a midrange threat pressuring life totals.
I think Primal Order is allready in the deck list.

Yay to Grasp.
Yay to Thrun. His best days are behind him, but he's still a strong card. Let's give him a shot.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 10 months ago

cheonice wrote:
10 months ago
gsgfdf wrote:
10 months ago
I think Primal Order is allready in the deck list.

Yay to Grasp.
Yay to Thrun. His best days are behind him, but he's still a strong card. Let's give him a shot.
I am really bad at this :P In my defense I first saw that in a random article in EDHrec, not in the previous posts.

For my actual nomination I would like to propose Saryth, the Viper's Fang. She can act as a pseudo mother of runes and help Gorm on offense.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Yea Grasp. It's premium removal.

Yea Saryth. What a great card for this deck. Every ability it has is relevant to our deck, it has a solid body, and at a great mana value. Slam dunk inclusion.

3drinks

I'll offer the confirming yay on Grasp and a second yay on Saryth. I only used it in Kraj, but it's probably good here. Makes me want to shoe-horn a Rot Farm in first though. I'm going to nay archfiend, with maybe a reminder that not every pick has to be a bomb. You can always just pick sensible removal and grease cards to keep the engine humming, this is a perfectly reasonable course of action.

Let's put @Henlock and @cheonice on the clock.

Thrun, the Last Troll yay - 1 nay - 2
Infernal Grasp yay - 3 nay - 0
Archfiend of Despair yay - 0 nay - 1
Saryth, the Viper's Fang yay - 2 nay -0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 10 months ago

We have so many saboteur creatures, let's give a sword a shot!
My nomination is Sword of Feast and Famine!

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Post by aliciaofthevast » 10 months ago

Doesn't sword of feast and famine have the same problem as nature's will earlier? What are we doing with that extra mana?

I'm very interested to see what goose cooks up!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”