Random Card of the Day: Caparocti Sunborn

RabidVacin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RabidVacin » 4 years ago

11/25/19 Disruptive Student

That card is bad and you should feel bad for playing it.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

that Teferi, troublemaker

as a common this seems super powerful. that being said I haven't seen it in a pauper deck. is there one?

also if there was a time I was away from the game that im a little bummed about, its the Urza sets

RabidVacin

11/26/19 Gonti, Lord of Luxury

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

RabidVacin wrote:
4 years ago
11/26/19 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
Gonti is pretty exciting for cost. Deathtouch is nothing to sneeze at, and 'drawing' a nonland from your opponent can be clutch, especially if they're playing combo or control.

He probably sucks hard in the aggro matchups, since he's not big enough to dodge efficient removal (like Bolt), nor low enough to the ground in terms of mana cost to be a quick blocker.

RabidVacin

11/27/19 Platinum Angel

All that you need to know about this card can be found in the story behind the standoff in Honolulu:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

RabidVacin

11/29/19 Nameless Race

Sinis

RabidVacin wrote:
4 years ago
11/29/19 Nameless Race
This card is awful, and pretty hard to game without something like Painter's Servant. It's worth noting though, it doesn't have a creature type when it got oracle'd.

RabidVacin

12/02/19 Borderland Minotaur

The N82O Molecule

I like a good vanilla

but I see a minotaur as a thematical hill giant

the art helps me get that extra +1/+0 cause that's a really large forearm and that impaled human looks pretty dead, well on the way to the river Styx lol

some words of advice when you come across a minotaur, just run away. there is no way two bull hoofs are going to catch you. now if a minotaur maximized his four limbs, look out. a four limbs minotaur is counter intuitive however, at least for the minotaur. a minotaur who fought so hard to walk like a man wouldn't degrade himself so easily I figure. this knowledge, of course, comes from doing a lot of mazes so its true.

RabidVacin

One of my casual decks is called Giants and Bears. It has every version of Hill Giant and Grizzly Bears and 4 Muraganda Petroglyphs.

12/03/19 Marsh Viper

The N82O Molecule

muraganda petroglyphs, this card taps into a cool vein. and ill be honest ive always wanted a deck that (seems to) runs a similar path to yours. please tell me your win con is akroma's memorial haha

on marsh viper
as someone who touts to be from "new phyrexia" (mirrodin was home before I got compleated) im a huge fan of poison counters, and this card is like, one of the original titans. poison would be nothing without this card. also this grants two poison counters and that's beautiful. I like it!

RabidVacin

12/04/19 Quag Vampires

The N82O Molecule

I guess muraganda petroglyphs and akroma's memorial don't work together do they

quag vampires
I think this is a very well designed card, simple, the multikicker is cool yet not overpowered for common, and that swampwalk. landwalk is super dirty and I support it!

to complain, the art doesn't match the card. . .just sayin lol

RabidVacin

12/05/19 Tectonic Rift

RabidVacin

12/06/19 Heat Stroke

The N82O Molecule

heat stroke
Im just going to say it. this card is hot.

good ol Maraxus

Sinis

RabidVacin wrote:
4 years ago
12/06/19 Heat Stroke
Tremendously exciting with something like Frontline Medic or Palace Guard. Otherwise, not my favourite.

RabidVacin

12/09/19 Forget

The N82O Molecule

forget

I suppose someone will have to tell me the story on this card. it seems like a great filter card. would this be used if it were in modern?

I think this card should rightfully be names hmmm, now what was it. apparently there is no forgot.

the art is definitely major, and his middle finger has me buggin. haha

RabidVacin

12/10/19 Thrun, the Last Troll

Sinis

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
forget

I suppose someone will have to tell me the story on this card. it seems like a great filter card. would this be used if it were in modern?
I doubt it. For this exact effect, Ideas Unbound has the same cost, the benefit is more front-loaded, and the drawback is optional if you dump your hand. I think if someone just wanted card filtering, they'd probably play Cathartic Reunion.

The only reason this would see play is if someone wanted to game Notion Thief where they target another player with Forget, force them to discard, and steal the draw for themselves, but then there are probably cards that stand better on their own than Forget (Wistful Thinking?).
RabidVacin wrote:
4 years ago
12/10/19 Thrun, the Last Troll
He's seems pretty great. I have a copy somewhere, and should probably jam him in my commander decks.

The N82O Molecule

[mention]Sinis[/mention] you are wise. I guess the math really doesn't make any sense. it puts you -1 on card advantage yes? (if you target yourself)(fuels graveyard strategies if you target your opp) im not for it anymore, and a :( rare to open (except original print)

thrun, the last troll, youll have to look back into his past to see his present troll ascetic
I could be wrong (lol) but this card may be one of the firsts to grab green color pie with the cant be countered and hexproof.
I cant really recall the meta of the day but I think there might have been a control shell at the time that needed a hoser.
with the redux of regeneration the troll clan has seemingly walked away from the ability that defined it. bummer

Sinis

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
@Sinis you are wise. I guess the math really doesn't make any sense. it puts you -1 on card advantage yes? (if you target yourself)(fuels graveyard strategies if you target your opp) im not for it anymore, and a rare to open (except original print)
I should have said 'the only reason why it would see play in Modern' if it were legal.

In terms of targeting yourself, Legacy also has better cards that do (or used to) see play, like Careful Study and Hapless Researcher in reanimator. The card disadvantage isn't such a big deal if you're going to make some sick play that wins you the game, or is a feature you're looking for (like in reanimator).

For casual tables, I'd expect it to be a madness enabler, but, then you'd probably be better off with Faithless Looting, or cheaper effects. Though, it's also a cheap draw for something like Thought Reflection or Alhammaret's Archive, and cheap blue discard if you wanted to try and power out The Magic Mirror, but don't want to get into red because of mana commitments/land base/budget concerns.

I could also see it in EDH, since there are not many effects you can target your opponent with in terms of draw/discard effects (and you can only play one of each), and you're gaming something like Notion Thief*. Off the top of my head, Wistful Thinking, Compulsive Research, Careful Consideration, Cephalid Coliseum, and Forget. Collective Defiance could be a bear this way, and is multifunctional. I'm sure there are some looters that target as well.

*It wouldn't be to only game Notion Thief in EDH; you could punish players by using something like The Haunt of Hightower, Vulturous Zombie or Megrim (draw discard, ha!), or block the draws and force discard with something like Narset, Parter of Veils or Spirit of the Labyrinth.

I guess, bottom line, it's a card that has some potential, but unless you want it for many different uses (graveyard loading, playing with forced draw, madness), there are probably more efficient cards. I think you'd most often see those many uses in EDH, where the hit in efficiency is also less relevant, and there might be restrictions on the cards you can play because of colour identity.

RabidVacin

I could see it in Homelands block constructed :P

Sinis

RabidVacin wrote:
4 years ago
I could see it in Homelands block constructed :P
Possibly! There are no draw spells, but it could help you dig for the few good cards around, which might be worth it even at a disadvantage. In Homelands constructed (Homelands does not have a block any longer, it was formerly in Ice Age block), there are so few cards and many are without answers (like Eron the Relentless can only be beaten by repeatedly running the player out of regenerate mana, or a handful of cards that put -1/-1 counters on creatures, like Torture or Serrated Arrows).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”