@mtgnexus Community Deck Project v10.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

...I knew I should've gone with Matter Reshaper.

3drinks

Okay, so let's talk about that rocks package, since that is far more efficient than nominating rocks individually. What's the count, which rocks, where do we draw that line.

Let's put @Dragonlover and @MrBloo on the clock.

Shimmer Myr yay - 4 nay - 0
Clock of Omens yay - 3 nay - 0

Reality Smasher yay - 1 nay - 1
Winter Orb yay - 0 nay - 0

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/K7V2la-2pkOuDI-9o2NolA
Last edited by 3drinks 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

3drinks

Oh shoot winter orb was the actual pick, lem'me edit that in.

MrBloo

Post by MrBloo » 6 months ago

I'll nay smasher for the same reasons previously mentioned.

My nomination is gonna feel lazy but Skittering Cicada is yet another card we can take advantage of.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 6 months ago

My initial inclination is, "is skittering cicada too much of this effect?" But then it's superior to shimmer myr in every way, right? So I think this is a yay, but we should also ask the question if it replaces shimmer myr or if we want three of this effect?

I like Reality Smasher but I don't know what it's actually doing in this deck? Think that makes it a nay.

I think it's really hard to vote on winter orb when that's playgroup specific. How do we handle this situation in the context of group build?

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 6 months ago

Yay on Skittering Cicada although I do think it should replace the myr.
Nay on Reality Smasher, I can't see how it helps us that much.
Nay on Winter Orb, even if we disregard the social aspect of the format I don't understand how we break the symmetry on this one.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

Yea Cicada, yea Orb. Clock of Omens will turn it off for us if needed. Yes it does have some notoriety, but I think these days there's enough rocks about for it to just let us halt momentum rather than lock the board. We don't wanna do that, it's a dick move.

Nay Smasher.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 6 months ago

Drop me, my interest has disappeared completely, this is the first time I've been on the site in like a week.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks

Hmm. I think I would yay Winter Orb, but full disclosure I am a filthy stax player. Has to be the 5ED print though with the polar bear on the art. I think everyone overlooked yesterday's comments about the autofill rocks slots, how many and which ones. We should have that conversation.

For today let's put @toctheyounger and @Moxnix on the clock.

Skittering Cicada yay - 3 nay - 0
Reality Smasher yay - 1 nay - 5
Winter Orb|5ed yay - 2 nay - 1

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

Hard to say I kind of like the idea of some of the easier to play possible one sided stax stuff like orb and say God-Pharaoh's Statue but with our budget and the price of some of the rocks were going to be missing some of the slots that make those do a lot of work. For instance you wouldn't think grim monolith is great for winter orb but it curves you out into those fat rocks that make it good and we don't even get mana crypt. The budget really hurts colorless I think lots of decent staples I would run are no longer cheap like memory jar. Ill yay it but im not sure how good it is here I feel like in the modern times everyone's playing rocks and dorks. Ill nominate sculpting steel since we dont know what we want to do on rocks. I'm ok with tossing in some mindstone thought vessel etc at 2 since our curve is currently slow but i think which big boy rocks we pick maybe we still pick.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

I'm not sure about Sculpting Steel, I'm gonna think on it and come back to it. It might be a good add.

My nomination is Hangarback Walker. It'll be gross with Deathmantle, Ozolith and possibly even Clock. It also just does what our commander wants to do with counters. There's no immediate combos that'll end the game right away, but it should be good value most of the time we hit it.

Feels like we need more sac and recursion here tbh. KCI, Arcbound, Retriever and such would probably go a long way to layering our lines and making the deck consistently able to do things.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I always love me a good sculpting steel, even if it is kinda dated? Is Mirage Mirror better typically? Well I'm gonna yay it regardless but I think there's room for conversation, easy!

I don't understand why we keep saying hangarback works with deathmantle? Hangarback's trigger cares about the counters it has, not it's power so it's not like we're looping anything. Maybe I'm missing something. Certainly it's a strong mana sink but I think we want more from it? Help me understand what I'm missing here!

3drinks

I'll populate the two drop rocks this evening or tomorrow morning when I'm off work. That should fill out a better curve. For today we'll put @gsgfdf and @aliciaofthevast on the clock.

Winter Orb yay - 2 nay - 1
Sculpting Steel yay - 1 nay - 0
Hangarback Walker yay - 0 nay - 0

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Well if we're adding in a bunch of two cost rocks, I'm going to go higher. Let's run Khalni Gem which effectively costs two after rebate.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 6 months ago

Yay on Sculpting Steel.
Soft nay on Hangarback Walker, I don't really see how it helps our game plan.
Nay on Khalni Gem, why would we want this effect with such an insane drawback. We still haven't used Hedron Archive, Ichor Elixir, Sisay's Ring, Stonespeaker Crystal, Ur-Golem's Eye or Worn Powerstone.

My nomination is Endbringer, we should have enough mana to draw almost every turn.

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

Cleaning up some picks, adding some votes as we start a new week. I also added a number of two drop rocks to fill the curve, as seen here;
Back to regular picks, records show we're at the end of this cycle of picks with myself on the clock, and then we'll start the next cycle of picks with @TheGildedGoose. And I suppose I'll go with the card I should have said last time, Matter Reshaper.

Sculpting Steel yay - 3 nay - 0
Hangarback Walker yay - 0 nay - 2
Khalni Gem yay - 0 nay - 2
Endbringer yay - 1 nay - 0
Matter Reshaper yay - 0 nay - 0

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 5 months ago

Yea the rocks. Yay.

In defense of Winter Orb and stax, I don't think that anyone is actually going to sleeve this deck up, and even then I don't think it's going to be thrust upon a table of beer and pretzels Magic. Personally, I'm fine with this deck remaining a theoretical ideal rather than an actual deck.

Nay Hangarback Walker as it's not a great combo piece here and Khalni Gem because it's awkward ramp and we can't take advantage of the colored mana.

Yea Endbringer because it's pretty cool and at worst is a mediocre card advantage engine in a deck that desperately needs card draw and Matter Reshaper as a low cost cantrip beater.

My nomination then for today is, and I'm sorry, The One Ring. ~$40 is overbudget a little bit for the deck, but it's a card in print and certainly worth the price tag for powering something up. We need the card draw and this is one of the best CA engines in the format.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 5 months ago

I'll yea Endbringer. And I'll yea the Ring. I don't think we need to feel bad for using it either. Yes it's strong, but we need the raw draw. It works well with Clock and a couple other pieces and it'll keep us in the game. I know there's talk of it being on the ban radar, honestly I hope it stays.

3drinks

I'd wholeheartedly yay the one ring. I'd like some way to reset burden counters, but as it is I don't think we can go back to the age of mind's eye when the one ring exists.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Post by aliciaofthevast » 5 months ago

I support Endbringer, Matter Reshaper, and The One Ring!

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 5 months ago

3drinks

Lots of updates, including some executive decisions from me to include winter orb and call the axe on khalni gem, That should clean up the stack.

Fresh slate, today let's put @Moxnix and @MrBloo on the clock.

Endbringer yay - 4 nay - 0
Matter Reshaper yay - 3 nay - 0
The One Ring yay - 4 nay - 0

Hangarback Walker yay - 0 nay - 3
Khalni Gem yay - 0 nay - 2

MrBloo

Post by MrBloo » 5 months ago

Sonic Screwdriver ? It's a 3 mana rock but it's another untapper we can use with a couple of other bonuses.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 5 months ago

Lets go with Thought-Knot Seer not alot of 4 drops yet and this guy is pretty nice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”