The Community Deck Build Project v7.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Anguished Unmaking (I thought we were genuinely deadlocked, guess there was someone else that hadn't voted yet) and Attrition have been confirmed.

That puts us to 12/14 interaction slots as we potentially close out interaction today with myself and @toctheyounger on the clock. And I think I'm gonna nominate a simple two mv answer because our threes are so clogged, and that's Infernal Grasp.

Anguished Unmaking yay - 3 nay - 2
Author of Shadows yay - 2 nay - 2
Attrition yay - 3 nay - 0
Beast Within yay - 1 nay - 0
Shaile, Dean of Radiance // Embrose, Dean of Shadow yay - 0 nay - 1
Infernal Grasp yay - 0 nay - 0
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
I am popping by to put a word for Author of shadows. First it's not about the card we get, it is nominated as an interaction slot for graveyards. The two other ETB graveyard exiles, namely Agent of Erebos and Angel of Finality, are cheaper but hit only one graveyard. We can consistently count on Author of Shadows exiling all graveyards but ours.
The extra card is just a bonus, yet it results in that reusing this ETB will net us lot more than reusing the other options.
At five though. Isn't that just a bit too slow? How often do we need to hit all yards at once because we are paying a bit of a premium on this. While Agent does only hit one player, it's fairly trivial to re-proc, such as the prior mentioned Spirited Companion (man I gotta stop listening to mtggoldfish lmfao), or Eidolon of Rhetoric and similar. The biggest point I see is since we're already talking Reveillark anyway, Agent is larkable while Author is not. Man what I wouldn't give for Ashiok, Dream Render to be legal here...

I think I've said my piece. If these can be refuted, I'll relent and accept Author of Shadows is actually correct for the job.
cheonice wrote:
1 year ago
Bojuka Bog[/card], scavenger grounds, and Soul-Guide Lantern all get the job done.
Hmm. I think Bog is weak as a sorcery speed single player hit and inevitably players blow it too soon because they need another land drop, but Scav Grounds is good, though maybe not here as I think we're working out of the 'yard a lot? I'm a fan of soul-guide lantern, especially in decks playing Urza's Saga, not sure we're gonna squeeze saga into this 3c deck here because it is a real cost, but if we do, then this card should be strongly considered.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Yay grasp and BW
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

I understand that Agent is Larkable but as you said, hitting graveyards might not be relevant sometimes and we would end up with just a bear. Author can be played aggressively just to get some cards off it. I think that for 1 extra mana it is a good deal.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Yeah Grasp, yea Beast.

I'll nominate assassin's trophy. Catch all removal for a good cost.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
I understand that Agent is Larkable but as you said, hitting graveyards might not be relevant sometimes and we would end up with just a bear. Author can be played aggressively just to get some cards off it. I think that for 1 extra mana it is a good deal.
But there are many situations when Author is just an overcosted draw 1. You still need to pay for the card and you only get one. If he had Flash, he might be playable, but as a sorcery speed answer he will never get any job done.

Henlock

Yes, but compared to Agent of Erebos, it is still better in those situations.
Sure, there's a lot of variance in what we can get, but I'm personally into it. The floor is exiling all our opponents graveyards without touching our.own, getting to choose a card from among them for us to use and a 3/3 body for 5. There's the opportunity of pursuing some value with its ETB and I can't think of a better graveyard interaction to be played aggressively.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Infernal Grasp and Assassin's Trophy are the easiest yays this side of Swords to Plowshares!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

How much is on the table right now??? Yay to Grasp, Trophy, and Beast Within. When it comes to Author, I think it's a cool card and this is the format for cool cards. Repeatable, one-sided grave hate is a good thing to have, and getting some bonus value off of it in a splashy way really speaks to me.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dunharrow

Yay Trophy. Perfect for this deck.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Maybe we need some kind of mass removal, too? Austere Command lets us keep Nikara.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

cheonice wrote:
1 year ago
Maybe we need some kind of mass removal, too? Austere Command lets us keep Nikara.
Oh crap you're totally right. We have zero board wipes!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

3drinks

Well that's gonna close up the interaction slots at a 16/14 count, officially. Namely this is some late votes on older nominations all coming together at once. I still don't like Author of Shadows but prevailing opinion seems to be more in favour of it than not so executively speaking it's going to make the cut.

Let's move on to sweepers, and we'll shoot for 3 slots. We'll put @RxPhantom and @cheonice on the clock for this.

Author of Shadows yay - 2 nay - 2
Beast Within yay - 5 nay - 0
Infernal Grasp yay - 4 nay - 0
Assassin's Trophy yay - 3 nay - 0

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay to Austere. I nominate Toxic Deluge because it good. It real good.

toctheyounger

Yea Deluge. Can confirm, it good.

Yea command too.

3drinks

I'm gonna nay Austere. It's just so much mana and it's not 2015 anymore. We're not hurting for good wipes and this could easily be a Cleansing Nova, Farewell, Hour of Revelation and put the deck so much further ahead. Debatably Merciless Eviction, since the majority seems to like paying for exile so much. The commanders still proc off exile too, not just death so that can't even be a mark against them. I'd probably even spring for Descend upon the Sinful too, though that's not a given I think. Nay, nay, nay.

It's hard to argue against Toxic Deluge for anything other than dollar cost. I do wonder how many times toxic isn't just a more costly Languish though. I think that's at least something to think about.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I'm gonna nay Austere. It's just so much mana and it's not 2015 anymore. We're not hurting for good wipes and this could easily be a Cleansing Nova, Farewell, Hour of Revelation and put the deck so much further ahead. Debatably Merciless Eviction, since the majority seems to like paying for exile so much. The commanders still proc off exile too, not just death so that can't even be a mark against them. I'd probably even spring for Descend upon the Sinful too, though that's not a given I think. Nay, nay, nay.

It's hard to argue against Toxic Deluge for anything other than dollar cost. I do wonder how many times toxic isn't just a more costly Languish though. I think that's at least something to think about.
Honestly of these I think the only one that really rivals is Farewell. None of the others break parity. If we're talking optimal wipes Winds of Abandon is where it's at.

Dunharrow

Yay deluge and command. Again, an argument to put synergy first. sweepers that destroy are much better with Saffi and Lark than sweepers that exile.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Yay to Deluge.
There is an argument for Farewell, though, as we are still short of graveyard hate. There is still no decision for Author, is it?

3drinks

Toxic Deluge and Austere Command have both been confirmed.

Sunday is a pretty slow day, so I'll put myself on the clock, and alongside @Henlock. We're at 2/3 sweeper slots,

Since we've mentioned it, I'm not gonna dance around the bush with it, the elephant in the room is Farewell, so I'll nominate that.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Honestly of these I think the only one that really rivals is Farewell. None of the others break parity. If we're talking optimal wipes Winds of Abandon is where it's at.
Man, a global path to exile|tsr scares the hell out of me, that is so much mana advantage you're giving up.
cheonice wrote:
1 year ago
There is an argument for Farewell, though, as we are still short of graveyard hate. There is still no decision for Author, is it?
I made the executive decision to confirm it as there were more in favour of it than not. Think you and I were the most outspoken about it.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Toxic Deluge and Austere Command have both been confirmed.

Sunday is a pretty slow day, so I'll put myself on the clock, and alongside @Henlock. We're at 2/3 sweeper slots,

Since we've mentioned it, I'm not gonna dance around the bush with it, the elephant in the room is Farewell, so I'll nominate that.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Man, a global path to exile|tsr scares the hell out of me, that is so much mana advantage you're giving up.
cheonice wrote:
1 year ago
I made the executive decision to confirm it as there were more in favour of it than not. Think you and I were the most outspoken about it.
Sounds fine for me. That was my impression as well. In with the crappy but fun Author! More representation for poets! :D

I really like Farewell, but it's another 6-mana sweeper.

I have no opinion on Winds, though. Some seem to love it, but I am hestitant to give my opponent a bunch of lands, if there is no lethal threat.

Tragic Arrogance is probably better than the Gearhulk.

Henlock

@cheonice Yes, it is indeed, but this it's on an ETB that can get nasty. It's also quite a rattlesnake in this deck. Imagine having it under Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
@cheonice Yes, it is indeed, but this it's on an ETB that can get nasty. It's also quite a rattlesnake in this deck. Imagine having it under Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel
Hm, that could be something. If we have a blink or reanimate sub theme, this could get nasty. Let's try it! Yay to the Gearhulk.

3drinks

I don't like the gearhulk. If we want an etb sweeper then sunblast angel is probably better though I'd imagine Cataclysm is way better.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”