If you could make one change in Commander...

WizardMN
Answers: 128
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Out there idea: What about if you deal X (30 or 40?)damage total to the table with your commander you win the game. Then you can track it yourself and it puts it closer to viewed like combo where you're the enemy of the table. If you try to Hatred someone out of the game everyone wants to stop it.

I have no idea if I would even like that but it seems like a more interesting aggro dynamic potentially.
That is interesting to say the least. It does suggest that a game where Voltron is at least one of the decks means it might be more 1v3 than desired. And the idea that players now have a vested interest in not letting someone else get hit (because the whole table loses) actually seems like a negative. The Voltron player can go after Player 1 for the first couple turns, player 2 for the next turn, and player 3 for a turn and everyone loses. So, getting rid of player 3's infinite combo (for example) still means we lose because they are wide open for the last bit of commander damage.

This is obviously a simplistic take on it of course.

I like the idea on the surface but I think the game play turns frustrating where too many catch-22's exist with it since we might have to do more to save an opponent to save ourselves. And, on the selfish side, I would rather let an opponent lose currently if it means I survive. I don't really want to turn more games into Archenemy than necessary.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Yeah, I think that mostly solves for the tracking concern but does have a tendency to create archenemy games, and of course continues with invalidating certain approaches to the game.

I kind of like it from a cuteness perspective in that it's something like, trying to get your commander to ignite their spark or something instead of the current which just doesn't really make any sense. Although that of course doesn't work with walker commanders. Though I really dislike those too lol :)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I don't want commander damage to go anywhere, and if I'm running a deck that can win with it, I track it on pen and paper and it's not that tough. It's also pretty satisfying to get an out of nowhere win with Uncaged Fury.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Out there idea: What about if you deal X (30 or 40?)damage total to the table with your commander you win the game. Then you can track it yourself and it puts it closer to viewed like combo where you're the enemy of the table. If you try to Hatred someone out of the game everyone wants to stop it.

I have no idea if I would even like that but it seems like a more interesting aggro dynamic potentially.
I'll be honest, that sounds pretty miserable. That leads to situations where that player just always goes after the weakest person at the table, but instead of that only killing the weakest person it's killing everyone. I don't want to lose because one of my opponents didn't play a blocker or something. :P
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago

I'll be honest, that sounds pretty miserable. That leads to situations where that player just always goes after the weakest person at the table, but instead of that only killing the weakest person it's killing everyone. I don't want to lose because one of my opponents didn't play a blocker or something. :P
Yeah, that seems significantly worse than current commander damage to me. It honestly doesn't even cut down on bookkeeping that much, since you still have to theoretically keep track of it for every commander. It also adds an extra toxic element to the whole "can I scoop to deny my opponent triggers" question that pops up from time to time, as now there's a huge incentive to scoop rather than let yourself get hit for the final bit of commander damage, lest you screw everyone else over.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 3 years ago

Just in case folks haven't heard us repeat this many times recently, commander damage isn't going anywhere.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Sheldon wrote:
3 years ago
Just in case folks haven't heard us repeat this many times recently, commander damage isn't going anywhere.
Should we interpret that as the rule won't change at all or that some variant will stick around?

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Sheldon wrote:
3 years ago
To be clear, this was not made with the expectation of anything changing. But the topic is "what would we change", and for me, that's Commander Damage. It may serve some purpose, but in my view, that purpose is not sufficient to counterbalance the tedious extra tracking and other drawbacks. That said, I know that changing it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, or at all.

Zealcat
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Zealcat » 3 years ago

I don't have a dedicated Uril-style voltron deck that goes all in on commander damage, but half my decks use commander damage as a kill condition quite often. Closing that avenue off would weaken all 3 decks. I also find commander damage is a good tool to push all in combo decks out of the game quickly. Removing it would just make aggro strategies even weaker.
EDH: Mogis, God of Slaughter || Kefnet the Mindful || Arahbo, Roar of the World || Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca || Prossh, Skyraider of Kher || Yennet, Cryptic Sovereign

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Sheldon wrote:
3 years ago
Has there been any further discussion on combined Commander damage since the Command Zone summit last year?
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Vertain

Post by Vertain » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
3 years ago
Should we interpret that as the rule won't change at all or that some variant will stick around?
I remember this being said about Painter's Servant as well, so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

CrazyPierre
Jasmine Boreal is for real.

Post by CrazyPierre » 3 years ago

I'd honestly go with lowering the starting life total to 30, or 25, but 25 might be way, way too low.
At 30, you would be at 25-24 after a few fetches/shockland entries, which is close enough to 20 that you would actually need to play with more spot removal, Wrath effect instead of just fishing for the combo. It might make cards like Necro a little more reasonable as well, and tweak mana-bases so that City of Brass/Tarnished Citadel etc. might have more of an opportunity cost.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rules and Philosophy”