Double X

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 weeks ago

Will this enter the battlefield with twice X counters?

CARDNAME (Rarity)
XG
Creature - Type
0/0
Ravenous
Ravenous
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 2 weeks ago

The way Ravenous is currently written, no, this does not do that. Ravenous says it enters with X counters. Saying it twice won't double it. You will just have one replacement effect that says "Enter with X counters" and then the second just "Wait, instead of that, enter with X counters". If it said "additional counters" or something it might work but it doesn't so you will need to find a different way to do this.

Legend
Aethernaut

WizardMN wrote:
2 weeks ago
The way Ravenous is currently written, no, this does not do that. Ravenous says it enters with X counters. Saying it twice won't double it. You will just have one replacement effect that says "Enter with X counters" and then the second just "Wait, instead of that, enter with X counters". If it said "additional counters" or something it might work but it doesn't so you will need to find a different way to do this.
How about this? Since the former causes it to enter with X counters and the latter puts X counters on it (or creates tokens) when it enters the battlefield. But assuming counters are chosen, would the number of total counters be twice X?

CARDNAME (Rarity)
XG
Creature - Type
0/0
Ravenous
Fabricate X

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 weeks ago

Yes, two instances of Ravenous would make it enter with twice the +1/+1 counters. This is pretty standard stuff. They both occur separately and both stack. Like, Cetavolver will enter the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters if you pay both costs.

One modifies the enters-the-battlefield event to put an extra X +1/+1 counters on it.
The other further modifies the enters-the-battlefield event to put an extra X +1/+1 counters on it.
In the end, it's entering with twice X +1/+1 counters on it.

Let's note the CR for ravenous does not specify "Multiple instances of ravenous are redundant", which it would do either in a functional or advisory capacity if it was in fact redundant.

Legend
Aethernaut

spacemonaut wrote:
2 weeks ago
Yes, two instances of Ravenous would make it enter with twice the +1/+1 counters. This is pretty standard stuff. They both occur separately and both stack. Like, Cetavolver will enter the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters if you pay both costs.

One modifies the enters-the-battlefield event to put an extra X +1/+1 counters on it.
The other further modifies the enters-the-battlefield event to put an extra X +1/+1 counters on it.
In the end, it's entering with twice X +1/+1 counters on it.

Let's note the CR for ravenous does not specify "Multiple instances of ravenous are redundant", which it would do either in a functional or advisory capacity if it was in fact redundant.
Sweet! Yeah, I thought I was right in thinking it would double the counters but wasn't sure because of "additional blabla". But Volvers answer that question perfectly. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”