Casting plotted spells with flash

Artaud
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Artaud » 2 weeks ago

I have Lilah, Undefeated Slickshot and Wizards of Thay on battlefield. I already have Beacon Bolt and Counterflux Plotted with Lilah's ability. The questions are:
1. Can I cast Beacon Bolt as an Instant with Wizards of Thay ability? Does it bypass "cast as sorcery" of being plotted?
2. Can I cast Counterflux as an Instant? I suspect no since it's still Instant for Wizards of Thay ability.
3. If the answer for both above is NO then is there a way to bypass "cast as sorcery" clause for plotted spells?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 weeks ago
The rules for Plot spell out exactly when you can cast it: on a later turn, in your Main Phase, when the stack is empty. Plotting a card with Flash or being able to cast things as though they had Flash don't get around the inherent restriction of Plot that limits when you can cast the spell. So, no, it is not possible to use an additional permission to get around an explicit restriction as, generally, "can't beats can" in the rules.

Which means that there doesn't seem to be a way to ever get around it. Other than something pulling that card out of Exile back to your hand of course.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 weeks ago

The rules for Plot spell out exactly when you can cast it: on a later turn, in your Main Phase, when the stack is empty. Plotting a card with Flash or being able to cast things as though they had Flash don't get around the inherent restriction of Plot that limits when you can cast the spell. So, no, it is not possible to use an additional permission to get around an explicit restriction as, generally, "can't beats can" in the rules.

Which means that there doesn't seem to be a way to ever get around it. Other than something pulling that card out of Exile back to your hand of course.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”