"Image"

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I guess this is blacks foray into enchantment removal. Back it up with plenty of creature removal first and you can make it work.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

I heard about this mark and the team decided black needs to learn how to remove enchantments

Just what the rakdos colors need

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

So Mortify can now be a mono black card... That's pretty interesting!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Veeeeeery interesting. I've seen MaRo mention they were planning to give black answers to enchantments, but wasn't expecting it so soon. It has always felt a bit odd to me that three colors can deal with artifacts (white, green, and red), but only two can deal with enchantments (white and green) - this has meant that enchantments are usually much more resilient than artifacts are. I don't know how I feel about the color pie change overall, but time will tell.

As for the card itself.... I don't think I've ever seen someone run Tribute to the Wild or Liliana's Triumph - edict effects usually aren't great. On the other hand, this is currently the only answer black has to enchantments (other than colorless removal) so I expect it will see some play - if you can keep the board clear, this is a pretty efficient rate. I know I have a few decks that may want to try it out.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Strictly-better Cruel Edict but probably only really valuable in straight mono-black or Rakdos lists that have literally no other way to handle an enchantment. I don't love edicts in Commander and being sorcery speed makes this a hard sell compared to Innocent Blood (one cheaper, hits everyone), Liliana's Triumph (instant speed, and has possible upside in Liliana tribal), Fleshbag Marauder/Merciless Executioner (provide bodies, trigger sacrifice engines), and Vona's Hunger ,(instant speed, costs one more but high upside with city's blessing). I don't even run all of those in every black list so it'll be a niche include for sure. You will need to run considerable creature removal for this to be a reliable way to juke, say, Worship or Karma or Sphere of Safety which is the reason I want black enchantment hate to begin with.

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
It's too early to say that. I don't think black will be able to directly hit enchantments as efficiently as green or white, the same way black can destroy creatures directly, but green needs powerful creatures on the battlefield to be able to do it.
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
As for the card itself.... I don't think I've ever seen someone run Tribute to the Wild or Liliana's Triumph - edict effects usually aren't great. On the other hand, this is currently the only answer black has to enchantments (other than colorless removal) so I expect it will see some play - if you can keep the board clear, this is a pretty efficient rate. I know I have a few decks that may want to try it out.
I disagree with you here. I've seen both cards used to great effect in Commander. Tribute to the Wild is particularly powerful in the early game to destroy mana rocks such as Sol Ring & friends, and Liliana's Triumph is excellent against that guy who is going to Voltron you out of nowhere. My perception is that people don't play "edict" spells frequently because they think targeted removal is far superior. But it really depends on the situation and the timing in which you cast them.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

Maluko wrote:
4 years ago
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
It's too early to say that. I don't think black will be able to directly hit enchantments as efficiently as green or white, the same way black can destroy creatures directly, but green needs powerful creatures on the battlefield to be able to do it.
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
I disagree with you here. I've seen both cards used to great effect in Commander. Tribute to the Wild is particularly powerful in the early game to destroy mana rocks such as Sol Ring & friends, and Liliana's Triumph is excellent against that guy who is going to Voltron you out of nowhere. My perception is that people don't play "edict" spells frequently because they think targeted removal is far superior. But it really depends on the situation and the timing in which you cast them.
Turn 3-4 Pir's Whim is fun as well. I think the new Black card will find a home. I want to put one in my wife's Thraximundar deck for sure.

I hope Red gets something similar, even though it recently got something that "deals" with enchantments.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Strictly-better Cruel Edict
Not quite. If you really need to get rid of your opponent's last creature, Mire in Misery gives them an out if they can sacrifice an enchantment instead, whereas Cruel Edict does not. Generally, yes, black can deal with the creatures and let Mire in Misery deal with the enchantments, but it is worth keeping in mind that it is considerably worse against voltron decks; if you cast this when a voltron player's only remaining creature is their commander, they'll generally much rather sacrifice an aura (which they'd lose anyway) than their commander. Edicts being able to hit more things is a double-edged sword.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I guess this is blacks foray into enchantment removal. Back it up with plenty of creature removal first and you can make it work.
Literally the only problem with black enchantment removal is removing your own enchantments. (You shouldn't be able to get out of your demonic pacts so easily.) But subverting the power structure (so long as it's not your power structure, I'm not giving up my power, I'm using my power to get what I want) feels very black.

Another way it can be done is "Target opponent may sacrifice an artifact or an enchantment. If he or she doesn't, he or she loses 5 life." (bad, I know) or "Target opponent sacrifices a permanent." (This one has the nice side effect of hurting bad players more when they sacrifice a land.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”