The Great Creature Type Challenge - Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

This thread is for discussion of the ongoing daily contest, the Great Creature Type Challenge, outside of entry posts.

Formatting for the threads is below:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Code: Select all

[b][size=150]Type of the Day: [url=https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/][/url][/size][/b]

Over 280 creature types exist in Magic. Some of them have been more prominent than others. All of them deserve some time in the sun. That's where this daily contest thread comes in. The rules are detailed below:

[b][u][i]To Enter:[/i][/u][/b]

[list][*]Note the type for the day, which will be the creature type directly after the previous day's in alphabetical order.
[*]Design a creature (or tribal) card that has the day's specified creature type. This is the only restriction - as long as you have the right typeline, you can design any card you want. You can include any other types you like, as long as you have the specified one for the day.
[*]Vote for two of the other entrants from the previous day. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)[/list]

[b][u][i]Scoring:[/i][/u][/b]

A running score tally will be kept for all players' totals throughout the length of this contest. In addition, an honor roll of the winners of each day (the champions of that day's creature type) will also be maintained in spoilered form in each day's thread. Once all the creature types have been cycled through, and voting for the final alphabetical type (presently Zubera) is done, there will be a highly prestigious overall winner as well!

[b][u][i]Other Rules:[/i][/u][/b]

Just like any other daily contests, anyone is free to enter as many or as few days as they like and begin entering at any time.

The list of creature types that will be used in this contest is the [url=https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Creature_type#List_of_creature_types]Comprehensive Rules list[/url], which includes "canon" creature types, those which are only used on tokens at this time, ones only used in Universes Beyond or D&D crossover products, and ones only used in Unfinity, the most recent acorn set. If new types are added to the Comprehensive Rules list during the run of this contest, they will be included in a thread if and only if they are alphabetically later than the current day's type.

The penalty for entering without exactly two votes for the previous day's cards will be 7 days probation, during which there will be no restrictions on continuing to enter the contest or score points. However, if a player fails to vote properly again during probation, their card will not be eligible for voting the next day.

Threads will be archived by letter: Once the first day with a type starting with B is posted, for example, all threads for types starting with A will be sent to the Contest Archives.

[b][u][i]Scores:[/i][/u][/b]

[box]
[/box]

[spoiler=Past Champions][/spoiler]

[b][u][i]Note of the Day:[/i][/u][/b]

[b][u][i]Yesterday's Submissions:[/i][/u][/b]

[i](Yesterday's Type: [b][/b])[/i]
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
ApocalypseChive, void_nothing (is there a reference here that I'm not getting or just a bit of open-ended flavor?)
No reference! Just a top-down design based on the idea of some kind of dark agricultural spirit.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Later this month, we'll be getting substantial information on the Universes Beyond: Doctor Who commander decks. Being based on an outside property with its own extensive lore and unique species, there may be a number of new creature types assuming they aren't folded into "Alien" but this is a good time to remind everyone that if new types are added, we will use them if they come after the current day's type but we will not backtrack. Of note, if "Gallifreyan" is used as the race type for the various Doctor legends, we are now past all the G types.

If most are amenable, I will hold a bonus round after the main contest concludes in ~6 months in order to account for any creature types we missed along the way due to new ones being added.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 10 months ago

A bonus round could certainly be fun

Ink-Treader

I, for one, eagerly anticipate Time day.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Or are we going with what's intended and doing Time Lord?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ink-Treader wrote:
10 months ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I'm going to await official word of some kind. As of now it does look like it's bizarrely two separate types as it's not Time-Lord, but I suspect that we'll soon hear of a policy change that subtypes can once again be multiple non-hyphenated words.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Thinking a bit further into the future now that we know that at least several creature types will be added by the Doctor Who Commander decks - with the Final Fantasy Universes Beyond coming next year, a release date presumably to be announced in the August announcement day, and probably LOTS of new creature types with this one (Moogle? l'Cie? Aeon?), we can also assume that for the foreseeable future, Universes Beyond will cause new creature types to be added to the game more regularly than Standard releases do.

I'm wondering if I should think about mini-versions of this contest at regular intervals to account for new creature types. There's also the question of Great Subtype Challenges for other card types, which have less material to draw on, but might pique the interest of some.

Ink-Treader

void_nothing wrote:
10 months ago
Final Fantasy Universes Beyond.
Wait. I don't remember that. But so it is. Huh.

Quite a few Final Fantasy things could be existing creature types, but I do suspect stuff like Chocobos to be their own creature type instead of Bird.

Might not be a bad idea to have intermissions to account for UB

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 7 months ago

Not sure if this the right topic to ask, but since it's very similar: are there any folks willing to participate in the Great Set Challenge? Starting from Alpha, we are going to make cards for a particular set every day. Including relatively big supplemental sets, I guess.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 7 months ago

Raptorchan wrote:
7 months ago
Not sure if this the right topic to ask, but since it's very similar: are there any folks willing to participate in the Great Set Challenge? Starting from Alpha, we are going to make cards for a particular set every day. Including relatively big supplemental sets, I guess.
I know I would be. I'd support this even if it included every new-card release, lol.

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 7 months ago

Raptorchan wrote:
7 months ago
I'm definitely interested.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 7 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
10 months ago
Ink-Treader wrote:
10 months ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I'm going to await official word of some kind. As of now it does look like it's bizarrely two separate types as it's not Time-Lord, but I suspect that we'll soon hear of a policy change that subtypes can once again be multiple non-hyphenated words.
Barging in here to announce that it's now official: Time Lord is currently the only creature-type to consist of two non-hyphenated words.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/featu ... ease-notes
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 7 months ago

According to my maths, you guys are gonna finish this contest around the New Year. Maybe then I'll start it.

Sporegorger_Dragon

In the Sable round, I legit can't tell whether netn10 is trolling, joking or serious, and I hope they never elucidate further.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Hey hey hey, Rosewater's teasers are out, and we have a new creature type coming in Lost Caverns of Ixalan, and it's something we Slug fans have been hankering for quite a while:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SNAIL!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 7 months ago

The following creature types are all confirmed to be added by Lost Caverns:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Capybara, Llama, Snail - this is extra impressive because they are all real-world animals.
One of these may be relevant to the contest - I'm unsure how the timing will work out at this point.

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
7 months ago
I'm unsure how the timing will work out at this point.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Skullcap Snail has been officially unveiled!

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 4 months ago

Since the Great Creature Type Challenge game ended a little over two weeks ago, can this thread be unstickied?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Moving this thread at least temporarily out of the archive because of the interesting rate at which new types are still being introduced. New types from LCI wasn't an anomaly: If you look at the OTJ teaser you'll see at least five new creature types mentioned. And as we now know, many if not most Universes Beyond sets will add some.

With that in mind, it seems like this contest is due for another edition in several months to a year from now - perhaps after UB Final Fantasy with the changes that implies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”