The DCC - March 11th, 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Today you're going to meet Vuk, and tomorrow you will meet Kim. Then it's over, you've met everybody from the army's commanding team, that's to say the protagonists of my first story (with associated custom set) on my custom plane of Vukanat. There is still a lot I haven't told you though, maybe I will tell you all more about it someday. There will also be more stories set there in the future, that's already planned in detail.

Vuksa Kratich (also known as just "Vuk") is the younger brother of the two, three years younger than Kim. There is a very deep bond between the two of them that goes beyond simple brotherhood. Some might call it symbiosis, or love, or even co-dependency. All of those would be true. Between the two brothers, Vuk is the extroverted one, trying to push Kim to open himself to others and to the world, and that's exactly his role in the story. Vuk is also a very positive minded person, even though slightly less than Krest, but nobody can beat Krest on that. Vuk is optimistic, joyous, easygoing, and likes to have fun, provided that nobody gets hurt, either physically or psychologically, but he's also a very determined guy, he will always try everything he can to reach his goals. It's not easy to make Vuk give up.

Vuk also finds himself in a strange position, caught in between a brother (Kim) and a cousin (Derk) that both have mental health issues (more on Kim tomorrow), while Vuk has never experienced any in his whole life, luckily for him. He's always there for either of them though, and he willingly tries to understand what it's like to have to fight against your inner monsters everyday from observing them from the outside of their respective inner fights. It's not easy but he tries his best, and he manages to get pretty close. He understands that as well as a person who never directly experienced it can possibly do. Nothing beats direct experience though, but both Kim and Derk benefit a lot from having someone like Vuk close to them, pushing them towards an optimistic view of things and opening themselves up rather than isolating themselves like their issues would naturally bring them to do. Vuk is confident that one day both Kim and Derk will get better, and doesn't really care whether that will be with or without his help. He's going to try everything he can though, also because losing his brother or just something, anything, happening that forces them to be apart is Vuk's own greatest fear. But Vuk's determination will never allow that to happen, or at least that's what he hopes.

DCC Scroreboard

RattingRots 30 (+7)
netn10 26 (+2)
Rithaniel 22
bravelion83 17 (+2)
OneAndOnly 16 (+2)
marioguy3 11 (+3)
void_nothing 6
archemedesx 5
KB52665 4
MonoRedMage 4

bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, RattingRots

Krest's Empathy GW
Instant (U)
Untap target creature you control and put a +1/+1 counter on it. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to that creature this turn.
"I feel you. Drago is right when he says that life is unfair. Take me for example. I lost my family back when I was eleven. I lived in the streets. I stole to survive. I've been lucky I was adopted, or I don't know if I'd be here to talk to you now. No one deserves even just a fraction of the pain I've had to stand as a child. No one! So, you tell me now. How I can help you?"
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: netn10, marioguy3
Press to Death -- 2B
Instant {C}
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Focus +2 - That creature gets an additional -4/-4 until end of turn instead.
Focus +B - When that creature dies this turn, its controller loses life equal to its mana value.
Focus -2 - Tap that creature instead.
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, RattingRots

Day 8: Turning Haunting
Enchantment (Rare)
Pay 2 life: Create a 1/2 black Skeleton creature token. Active only during combat and only if you are attacked by creatures with power 5 or greater.
Whenever a Skeleton you control blocks, you lose 1 life and scry 1.
RattingRots wrote:
2 months ago
OneAndOnly, marioguy3

Brand of the Underworld B
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature
Whenever enchant creature attacks, its controller loses 2 life.
Pay 2 life: Enchant creature can't block this turn.
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, RattingRots

Spasmodic Mutation G
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Choose a creature you control.
You may rearrange the order of the next effects -
* Switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
* That creature fights target creature you don't control.
* That creature fights target creature you don't control.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Dang, I missed a day.

Bloodvine Totem
Artifact R
: Until end of turn, Bloodvine Totem becomes a 3/3 Plant Horror artifact creature that is black, green, and blue. It gains all abilities of other creatures on the battlefield with toughness 3 or less.
, , Sacrifice Bloodvine Totem: It deals 3 damage to each creature.
archemediesx wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, netn10
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Votes: Rithaniel, RattingRots (though in "Enchant creature" the word "creature" should not be capitalized)

Vuksa's Resolve RW
Instant (U)
Vuksa's Resolve deals 2 damage to any target. Until end of turn, another target creature gets +2/+2 and gains "This creature has first strike as long as it's attacking."
"Kim is the single person I care about the most in the world. Us getting apart is my greatest fear. I will never allow it! I tell you: no one will ever take my brother away from me! Ever!"
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Votes: bravelion83 (though I would order the effects differently) and netn10 (though I would phrase it as "Choose the following in any order")
Wall of Mud -- 1UB
Creature - Wall {U}
Defender, protection from creatures with haste
Whenever Wall of Mud blocks a creature without haste, put a stun counter on that creature.
0/5

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, bravelion83

Ask for Alchemy R
Instant (Uncommon)
Escalate 1u
Choose one or more -
* Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.
* You may discard an instant and a sorcery card. If you do, draw two cards.
* Put a stun counter on target land.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, netn10

Frostmind Totem
Artifact R
: Until end of turn, Frostmind Totem becomes a 1/1 Spirit Bird artifact creature with flying, menace, and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player with more cards in hand than you, draw cards equal to the difference."
, , Sacrifice Frostmind Totem: Target player with more cards in hand than you discards cards equal to the difference. Activate only as a sorcery.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 2 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly , RattingRots
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Votes: bravelion83, Rithaniel

Day 9: Castle Making
Sorcery (Rare)
Draw two cards, then exile cards from the top of your library until you exile cards equal to the highest mana value among permanents you control. You may play those cards until the end of your next turn.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”