The DCC - March 10th, 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

:love:
Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Today you'll meet Krest, a leonin with a very important meaning to me and a very emotional backstory. His role in the group is to be a moral support always available for anyone, regardless whether it's a member of the commanding team or the lowest ranked soldier of the army. He's there to hear you, lift you up, and encourage you at any time should you ever need it, regardless of who you are.

I'll tell you both the meaning and the backstory, also because they are actually linked to each other, they just go together. You might know that I'm a huge fan of Linkin Park. If you didn't, now you know. There is one big defining event in the band's recent history, and that's obviously Chester's suicide in 2017. I wrote my story in 2019, and I wanted to make some tribute to him there. If you look around the internet, you will see that Chester was a very positive person towards everyone, he often laughed and smiled, made jokes to lift everybody up behind the scenes, and was always friendly towards everyone. He left a wife and six (if I recall correctly) children to mourn him, in addition to his friends, bandmates, and simple fans like me. Also like me, he was fighting with inner monsters, and we even have one of those monsters in common, one that I do fight every day against. The monster took his life, but it won't take mine. The character of Krest exists specifically to be my tribute to Chester (notice the similarity between their names, that's fully intentional on my part). I took that positive part of Chester's personality, brought it to an even bigger extreme, and gave it to Krest. Krest's backstory is intentionally a mirror of Chester's, but reversed: Chester died and left his whole family to mourn him. Krest lost all his biological family as a child and he's the one left to mourn his family.

Krest lost first his father to a bandit attack, then his mother to food intoxication, and finally his only little sister because of an incurable disease, all in the span of less than one year. He was the only member of his family left in his family house, and all of that happened when he was just eleven years old (on Vukanat, leonin age more or less at the same rate as humans and all other races except for goblins and elves). He couldn't stand the memories, so he chose to leave the house and go to live in the street. He only took a few clothes with him, and even then, he threw all of them into the river that crosses the city a few days later. He was an orphan child living in the city with no food, money, or change of clothes. So he did the only thing he could do to survive: stealing, though with a lot of guilt. This went on for a few months, a period during which he thought multiple times to end his sufference in the same way as Chester has done, but yet he managed to go on, though just barely. One day he tried stealing a wallet in a market. He managed to take the wallet in his hands, but he was caught by the victim, a fellow middle-aged leonin who ran after him and managed to reach him, touching Krest's shoulder from behind. As Krest felt himself physically touched, he suddenly stopped running, turned towards the victim and gave his wallet back to him. The victim took it back, but he was a good person, seeing that the thief that just tried to steal his wallet was actually just a child, and looked very very badly, like he really needed some help. So the victim chose to stay with him, go sit with Krest under a tree and try to talk to him. At first, Krest stayed silent, but the victim also stayed there silent next to him. He wasn't going away. He wasn't abandoning him, or ignoring him like every other passerby did, and at a certain point Krest notices it, and chooses to tell the victim just his name: "I'm Krest." From there, a conversation started, probably the most important one in Krest's life, where he ends up completely opening himself to the one who was supposed to be just his victim for the day. The victim, moved by Krest and what happened to him, took Krest to live with him in his own house (he lived alone up to then), just a flat, much smaller than Krest's original family house. But just having a roof on his head was enough to Krest in that moment. That fellow middle-aged leonin later officially and legally adopted Krest as his own child. Krest still lives in his flat now as an adult. His now adoptive father raised him and had him go back to school and finish his studies. Krest himself now recognizes his adoptive father as the one who saved his life and taught him the proper way to live. By the law of his country, Krest was given the choice of taking his adoptive father's surname upon finishing his studies, but he refused to do so, keeping his biological father's surname, which is Muchkal, because it literally was the only thing he had left of his biological father. Now, as an adult, Krest is a very positive minded person, who thinks that no one should ever be through the pain he had to go through as a mere child, and takes all the active steps he can to avoid that. He will always help you, no matter whether he knows you or not. He will always have a smile for everyone. He will always support you, comfort you, and encourage you, regardless of everything. You might be the worst person in the world, but if you need it, Krest will always be there for you anyway whenever you need.

As an additional tribute to Chester, I willingly hid all the titles of all 84 songs from Linkin Park's official 7 studio albums in the text of the chapter dedicated to tell Krest's backstory. And what chapter is it in the story? Chapter 7, titled "The joy of being a cat".

Today, Krest is here for you, regardless of who you are.

DCC Scroreboard

netn10 24 (+3)
RattingRots 23 (+7)
Rithaniel 22 (+2)
bravelion83 15 (+1)
OneAndOnly 14 (+1)
marioguy3 8
void_nothing 6
archemedesx 5
KB52665 4
MonoRedMage 4

OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, Rithaniel
Snarling Cur -- 1R
Creature - Hound {U}
Whenever another creature enters, if it has greater size, Snarling Cur fights it. (Size is power plus toughness.)
1R: Snarling Cur gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
2/1
bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots, netn10

Mirka's Cure GU
Instant (U)
Target creature you control gains indestructible and hexproof until end of turn. Creatures blocking or blocked by that creature get -2/-0 until your next turn.
"You have to be able to detach yourself from your hastiness and worries to reconnect with your inner roots. Nature is much slower than what our society demands, and will always protest. Sickness is its means to tell you you're deviating from it. I'll cure you now, but if you ignore that, eventually you'll get sick again. It's inevitable."
RattingRots wrote:
2 months ago
OneAndOnly, netn10

Scarab God's Tomb 2UB
Artifact (R)
Artifact and creature cards in your graveyard have eternalize 4.
Eternalize 5UB (5UB, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie creature with no mana cost. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)

(Yes I'm aware that I changed eternalize by adding the word "creature")
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: netn10: RattingRots

Day 7: Silenced
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant creature you control.
You can't cast spells.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has lifelink.
At the beginning of your end step, you may sacrifice this enchantment. If you do, draw cards equal to half the life you gained this turn, rounded up.
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, RattingRots

Into the Sunset 5WW
Instant (Rare)
You may cast this spell without paying its mana cost if it's the end step.
End the turn. If you paid this spell's mana cost, you gain 20 life.
Each day in Thunder Junction makes promises that tomorrow can't keep.
archemediesx wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: RattingRots , Rithaniel
Last edited by bravelion83 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, RattingRots

Krest's Empathy GW
Instant (U)
Untap target creature you control and put a +1/+1 counter on it. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to that creature this turn.
"I feel you. Drago is right when he says that life is unfair. Take me for example. I lost my family back when I was eleven. I lived in the streets. I stole to survive. I've been lucky I was adopted, or I don't know if I'd be here to talk to you now. No one deserves even just a fraction of the pain I've had to stand as a child. No one! So, you tell me now. How I can help you?"
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Votes: netn10, marioguy3
Press to Death -- 2B
Instant {C}
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Focus +2 - That creature gets an additional -4/-4 until end of turn instead.
Focus +B - When that creature dies this turn, its controller loses life equal to its mana value.
Focus -2 - Tap that creature instead.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Day 8: Turning Haunting
Enchantment (Rare)
Pay 2 life: Create a 1/2 black Skeleton creature token. Active only during combat and only if you are attacked by creatures with power 5 or greater.
Whenever a Skeleton you control blocks, you lose 1 life and scry 1.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 2 months ago

OneAndOnly, marioguy3

Brand of the Underworld B
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature
Whenever enchant creature attacks, its controller loses 2 life.
Pay 2 life: Enchant creature can't block this turn.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Spasmodic Mutation G
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Choose a creature you control.
You may rearrange the order of the next effects -
* Switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
* That creature fights target creature you don't control.
* That creature fights target creature you don't control.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Dang, I missed a day.

Bloodvine Totem
Artifact R
: Until end of turn, Bloodvine Totem becomes a 3/3 Plant Horror artifact creature that is black, green, and blue. It gains all abilities of other creatures on the battlefield with toughness 3 or less.
, , Sacrifice Bloodvine Totem: It deals 3 damage to each creature.
Last edited by Rithaniel 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, netn10
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”