March MCC Round 1 - Assassination (plus OPHTMH Episode 1)

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

MCC-MKM-correct.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Lost in the Maze by Julian Kok Joon Wen)

March MCC Round 1

Assassination

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case Murders at Karlov Manor, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

This month I will also tell a murder mystery story set on Ravnica, though completely independent from the one going on in MKM, and also completely independent from the MCC competition and challenges. It's just an added extra thing for flavor, that you all can try to solve before the final round, when I will reveal the culprit. If that sounds fun to you, you're welcome to try to crack the case before the in-story detective, which you will meet soon enough. If it doesn't, you can just skip it and only care about the challenges and you will still have the normal MCC experience. Not in this paragraph, but starting from the very first words of the first episode in the spoiler below ("On Ravnica, …"), literally everything you read in these story episodes at the beginning of each round this month could be a clue or a red herring. I will reveal it all in the final round. And now, with that said, let the murder mystery story begin!

One pierced heart, two mindful horns - Episode 1/4 (with fixed typos, hopefully all of them)
Show
Hide
Note: if you prefer a pdf version for easier reading, here it is.

One pierced heart, two mindful horns

EPISODE 1

Entering the crime scene

On Ravnica, a long time has passed since the original Guildpact was first written by the paruns and then broken by Agrus Kos, since the Simic were reborn from the Zonots, since the Implicit Maze was run and Jace Beleren became the Living Guildpact, since several guildleaders were killed, or killed again in the case of the Obzedat, since Nicol Bolas invaded the plane with his army of Eternals, including God-Eternals who all found their demise during the War of the Spark, since Niv-Mizzet became the new Living Guildpact on that same day, and even since the recent Phyrexian invasion of the Multiverse. All of that was gone now, and the ones that matter are the ones who are alive today. Today, not yesterday, last week, or even last month. Those are not the ones that count. The ones being made of living flesh and bones, not those who are only bones if they're lucky, or the ones who are made of so many beings fused together that you can't even be sure who or what they are. Normal Ravnican people building a new normality for the plane of Ravnica and for themselves, that's what really matters now.

In a forgotten and unknown neighborhood of the city-plane, far away from the buzz of the Tenth District, a Selesnya loxodon hierarch was holding a speech in a public plaza in front of a crowd of people. Many of them wore no guild colors, while others did. The former were actually the majority, though the number of the latter was also significant enough. Not all the guilds were represented though. The hierarch himself was intentionally pointing out the ones who were present in front of him, accusing all of them of something morally wrong.

"You!", he said pointing his fingers against a human young woman dressed in red and black. "You and your patron do nothing but seeding chaos into our city! With the excuse of keeping him pleased, you also keep the killing going on in your theaters, and you even call it a 'show'! You're using death for the enjoyment of others, but what will happen when you will be the one called to be the volunteer for one of your very well known 'tricks' on stage, as you like to call them? Will you enjoy your own death?"

"And you!" He pointed at a young male elf dressed in black and green. "You too exploit death! You say it's a natural part of life, while at the same time you deal in poisons and dubious agriculture. What's the fertilizer for your plants? Dead bodies? Obviously yes, and obviously ones you've unnaturally killed yourself, not certainly ones who died from actual natural causes. You're even worse than the Rakdos, at least they do it under the light of day…"

"Our shows are always at night!", the woman the hierarch was addressing before shouted. The loxodon ignored her. "...while you do that in the dark of the undercity, both literally and figuratively. Learn not to hide the fact that you're also using death for your own purposes. Life is something you're not supposed to play with. But you're not alone in that. Guess who also plays with life?"

"You!" This time he pointed his finger towards a merfolk woman dressed in green and blue. "You and your abominations are an insult to the nature that both you and we should defend!"
"Just for your information, those that you call 'abominations' are actually called 'krasis', and they are scientific experiments."
"They shouldn't exist at all! And if they do, it's exactly because you have fun playing with life in an unnatural way. Ravnica would be better if you just stopped meshing different species together! Or would you like to be fused with, say, a five-armed spider?"
"Spiders have eight of those, and they are legs, not arms."
"Making it even more unnatural, good! So would you personally like to be fused with an unnatural kind of spider? Because that's exactly how you treat nature. Or mistreat, as I should have actually said. As a tool to use in your horrifying so-called 'biological experiments', that's how you use it!"
"And that's their name because that's exactly what they are, biological experiments for the improvement of nature!"

But the Selesnya hierarch was already too focused on his next targets to reply. He was using both his fingers to point out people in the crowd. His right index finger was indicating a male goblin dressed in red and blue, while his left index finger an old human lady wearing a luxury black fur over white shirts and pants. The goblin instantly became visibly anxious, and had trouble standing still among the crowd. The lady hadn't moved a single facial muscle yet.

"Nature is under no debt and no obligation to adhere to your theories, despite how strongly both of you would like that not to be the case, but unfortunately I have to tell you that's exactly the case." The goblin was already running away, horrified and scared at the same time. The lady still had to move a single facial muscle, like if she just didn't care about what that boring loxodon had to say, and didn't even want to care. "I will just have the Syndicate bankrupt him. Nature might not have debts, but he certainly will, and very soon." Such must have been her thoughts, but she didn't say a single word aloud. It's not that she wouldn't dare to say it, rather that she just didn't care enough to say it.

The loxodon reprised. "And all of you aren't even the worst. I don't see any representatives of the Gruul clans here now, but let me tell you: they are the worst! Their ancient gods! Not a single god of nature or growth, mind you, they are all gods of destruction! The one they call Ilharg! Nothing more than a giant, angry and hungry boar. A boar that's supposed to bring the end of times? Prophesied to bring some kind of End-Raze? A boar is a boar, with its instincts, that's for sure, but one that will supposedly come one day out of nowhere to destroy nature instead of protecting it? Provided that the Gruul even know what protecting something means… A boar that sets grass on fire instead of just eating it as it's supposed to do? I'd really wanna see that! I hope that prophecy actually comes true someday, but I have big doubts about that…" He started laughing. "...which if you prefer me to say it in another way, just means I don't believe it, not even a single word of it! Well, if I wanna keep having some good laughs about it, I hope that at least in that moment I'm still ali—"

A moment. A loxodon body on the ground. An arrow, shot with extreme precision directly at his heart. A second for everybody to turn their heads. A figure running away with a bow in their hand and vials of violet poison coming out of their cloak's pockets. Eyes of a crowd watching… him? Her? Them? Who knows… that figure from the back. A blue and black hooded cloak disguising whoever that figure was. No one knowing who they (maybe?) were. No one chasing after them. A collective shock, and a consequently apparently successful runaway. No one who could recognize that figure anyway. Who could be under their blue and black disguise?

Not a single person from the crowd the Selesnya hierarch was talking to had dared to walk away. All eyes were pointing at the dead loxodon body with an arrow sticking out of his heart. One of the people in the crowd was a young human boy, probably about twenty or so years old judging by his look, with no guild colors displaying on his outfit. He made his way among the crowd until he was right in front of the victim's body. Only then he took the floor and introduced himself.

"Greetings, everybody. My name is Royznod, and I work for the Ravnican Agency of Magicological Investigations. People usually call me just 'Detective Roy'. It's clear that we have a case here…" He took a look at the body with the arrow piercing its heart. "...and we also have a fugitive. I'll go after him right now, but please everybody stay here, I'll be back to ask you questions later."

Roy ran after the hooded figure wearing a blue and black cloak. While Roy was talking to the crowd, the fugitive had gained some distance, but this was Roy's home. He had grown up in this neighborhood and he knew every twist and turn of it. He knew all the shortcuts and the secret passages, while the cloaked figure was clearly not from there, only taking main streets and stopping at most intersections to remind themselves the correct direction to keep running away. That allowed Roy to quickly recover and approach the fugitive from behind. He hadn't had a chance yet to see anything but their back, covered by the blue and black hooded cloak. Roy knew that he had to look behind mere appearances, so while the cloak looked Dimir, he was already guessing whoever was hiding under it was not actually a member of the Dimir.

Roy had almost reached the hooded figure, just a couple steps away from being able to tackle them, when he stumbled on a piece of rock he hadn't seen on the surface of the road. He fell, being projected forward. While falling, he stretched his right arm as long as he could, and that was enough for him to take hold of the bottom of the cloak with his right hand once he had completely fallen on the ground, his belly down on the dirt ground of that road. The hooded figure kept running away, probably without even realizing Roy was holding in his hand the tail of their cloak, which fell down revealing a fellow human male, looking not much older than Roy, with a blonde hair crest and torn leather clothes. As soon as the fugitive realized he wasn't wearing his cloak anymore, he quickly turned around, saw Roy still on the ground with his cloak in hand, and invoked a ball of fire in his hand, throwing it down on the road right in between himself and Roy. A wall of fire immediately formed between the two, and after just a few seconds it extinguished all by itself. The youngster in torn leather was no longer anywhere to be seen, neither by Roy nor by anybody else. He had just disappeared.

At last Roy got back up on his feet, and while he wasn't able to see the fugitive anymore, at least he had seen most of his real body, and most of all he still had his cloak in his own possession. It was clearly a Dimir robe, but the fugitive was evidently not Dimir. If anything, he looked like somebody belonging to the Gruul, judging from his appearance. Roy took a closer look at the cloak in his hands, searching for more clues that might have been there. The cloak had a black background with blue curved motives on it. But there was a third color in there: a dark violet stain at the tail end of the left sleeve, practically on the cuff, even if it was so dark that it meshed almost perfectly with the black background, as if there wasn't actually a third color involved. Noticing nothing else of particular interest on the cloak, Roy made his way back to the crime scene, the plaza where the crowd was still waiting for him to be back, hopefully. If somebody had ignored his advice more than his order and walked away, he didn't really feel like he could have blamed them for doing so.

As Roy was back at the plaza, he noticed that about half of the crowd had indeed ignored his former request and had gone away. Losing potential witnesses, that didn't look like a good start, but Roy was still inexperienced, one of the latest recruits in the Agency. He thought:
"I guess that's the price of getting a piece of evidence: giving up other potential pieces of evidence. Are the people the hierarch was pointing at still here?"
All were except the Izzet goblin, and Roy decided to take the next step in the case by interrogating them.

He started by approaching the Rakdos young girl.
"Hi, boy! You're really nice, I like you. Why don't we spend some time together?"
"We will, but not in the sense you might be implying."
"Yeah, in fact, I didn't mean this investigation, I meant… just to get to know each other, you know?"
"No, you've got it backwards. I want to ask you some questions."
"Me too! Let's start with this one: are you currently engaged?"
"That's not relevant now. Why are you here? I mean, why had you chosen to come here to listen to a Selesnya hierarch's speech?"
"Who cares about the speech? I arrived here and the crowd had already gathered. I just wanted to see what the show of the day was. It couldn't have been anything topping our own shows, and in fact it wasn't."
"Did you know who that hierarch is? Uhm… I mean, was."
"No. I don't know his name, nor I would have wanted to know it anyway. I wasn't certainly going to recruit him for our shows or give him a job in the theater. About you, instead, how would you like to spend some time at our theater? We could go there right now, you know?"
"I've got that you like me, but again, no. Do you work at that theater?"
"Yeah. Performing almost every night. You're invited whenever you want."
"Thank you, but I'm not interested in that kind of shows. It's clear you have nothing to do with this, so if you like your theater so much, you can go back there right now. Again, thank you for your time."
"I do have rehearsals there in a short time. Are you sure you don't want to come with me?"
"Sure. I have something here that will never match the excitement of a Rakdos show: a case to crack. Feel free to go rehearse your show. I have other people to talk to."
"Too bad for you then. You don't know what you're missing."
"I have to find out what I'm missing. Thanks for your offer anyway."
And he turned his back to her, walking away.

Roy reached the old Orzhov lady.
"Good morning, madam. Would you mind if I asked you some questions?"
"Sure, but each question will cost you two zinos. Including the one you've just made me."
Roy sighed.
"I guess you Orzhov have to make money from everything, don't you?"
"That's two more zinos."
"I'll take it as a yes. I'll go straight to the point or this will cost me a fortune…"
"Who says it won't anyway?"
"...did you know that hierarch personally? Why did he point at you specifically out of all the Orzhov members here?"
"Oh, good! A double one! That's four more zinos!"
"If I have to pay money, I'd like to be paying for some actual answers if you don't mind."
The Orzhov lady shrugged.
"The customer is always right. No, I didn't know him, and I don't know why he chose me out of all the few Orzhov here. More questions, please."
"Alright, I've already understood. You're here to gain money by all means necessary, not to kill."
"Is that a question? Could you please reformulate it in the form of a question?"
"No, I can't. I think I'm done with you. It can't be you or anyone else from your guild. You only think about money. What would the Orzhov have to gain economically from killing a Selesnya hierarch? Nothing!"
"Uh, this one is nice! I wasn't expecting another one at the end of your reasoning! Two more zinos!"
"Ok. Waiter, I'm ready for the check. How much is it?"
"Good, another one! That makes twelve zinos, unless you have more of course!"
"No, I don't. Here. I'm not sure how legal it is, but I want to move on. Just take them."
"Thank you. Have a nice day!"

As he turned away from the Orzhov lady, he saw the Simic merfolk already walking towards him cursing the loxodon still lying down lifeless next to them, showing no respect for him despite his death.
"He's just mad! People like him will never understand! I mean, he called our experiments 'horrifying'! Weren't the Selesnya supposed to love nature? Then how is wanting to improve upon it so bad to them? And he didn't even answer me!"
"Well, I admit some of them aren't exactly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen…"
"They are a step towards perfection, not the realization of our final goal. It's trial and error, each new one is better than the ones before it. And once we get to the ultimate life form, only then we will think how to make it good-looking. First function, then form."
"It looks like there might be something in common with the process of solving a case there."
"Maybe you're not that far from us then, aren't you?"
"That's a very good question for me to think about. I'll let your guild know if I ever decide I want to join it. But not for now. Did you know that hierarch before?"
"No, and now I wouldn't want to know him anyway even if he were still alive. I'm so angry at him right now that I could kill him myself if somebody else hadn't already…"
"Ok, so then I guess it wasn't you. Maybe somebody else from your guild?"
"We Simic don't need to shoot arrows at people to kill them. There are better ways, like for example feeding them to one or more of our Sharktocrabs… Maybe they could still have him now after all…"
"I'm afraid his body is evidence and nobody can alter the crime scene anyway. But I'll take your offer under consideration once the body can be disposed of. I'll consider your guild clear for now. In the meantime, don't touch the body in any way, you or anybody else from your guild. Thank you."

Given that the Izzet goblin had already run away in fear, only the Golgari elf was left. "I will have to contact the Izzet somehow later", Roy thought. Then he went to talk to the elf.
"Are you a Golgari assassin?"
"Golgari, yes. Assassin, no."
"But you Golgari deal a lot with death in your guild."
"That's true. Death is just a part of life, and can always feed new life anyway, just like fertilizer helps the growth of a seed into a new plant."
"Golgari agricultural methods are already questionable enough. I'm not sure I want to know more about them."
"Just know that body could still be of use…"
"The Simic have already claimed it once it can be disposed of."
"Too bad then. Can I help you in some other way?"
"Maybe. Can I show you something?"
"Sure."
"This was the cloak the runaway was wearing. I managed to retrieve it. Can you see this violet stain at the end of the left sleeve?"
"Yes, I see it. It blends over the black background but it's still definitely visible anyway."
"Could it be some kind of poison? Your guild knows poisons quite well."
"Indeed. It could very easily be a poison, but it doesn't look like one of ours. This is too rough. We use more care with poisons. Our ones wouldn't leave a visible stain on a piece of clothing. We like our poisons to be invisible."
"Like the Dimir?"
"Yes, I guess that's something our guild might have in common with theirs. But I don't think this is Dimir either."
"The cloak sure is. I mean, just look at its colors."
"The cloak is, but the poison doesn't look like one of theirs to me. And it's certainly not one we Golgari would use either."
"So I guess I can assume for the moment that this was neither your guild nor the Dimir. Which other guilds use poisons?"
"The Rakdos sure could. The Gruul too. Heck, even the Selesnya themselves!"
"You're right, I can't exclude an internal Selesnya feud. They have archers too, and maybe they could have dressed the runaway to look like a Gruul boy, hidden under a Dimir cloak for extra safety..."
"Who knows?"
"Well, thanks for your help I guess."
"You're welcome. Glad I could help."

Roy called the nearest Azorius arrester and told them to send everybody away and take the stained cloak and the body, with the arrow still attached to it, to the evidence lockers in the Agency's headquarters. He didn't need to talk to that arrester to have a contact in the Azorius though. There was another connection that he knew very well, and that he would have very easily had access to if he wanted to talk about this with them, just like there was another one, or even multiple ones, in the Boros. He made a mental note to talk to them later. Now he had to hear from the remaining guilds, maybe the major suspects for different reasons: the fugitive archer looked like a Gruul young man wearing a Dimir cloak, who could have acted on behalf of his own guild or might have been hired by a different one, maybe the same Dimir who could have provided him with the cloak themselves. Then there was the runaway goblin, who clearly belonged to the Izzet, and also the Selesnya themselves, maybe because of some kind of power struggle within the guild. Or maybe whoever hired that archer didn't even belong to a guild. After all, the majority of citizens on Ravnica were guildless, just like Roy himself. That couldn't be ruled out either. But now it was already late, and the night was starting to fall on the city. It was time for Roy to go back home, and then straight to bed to be fresh in the morning and reprise his investigation. But that would have needed to wait for tomorrow.
Hey, you! Yes, you, in the public plaza (of this subforum)! Do you have any idea of who might hide under that blue and black hooded cloak? Show us all! Maybe we can try to exchange our hypothesis and ideas while we wait for Detective Roy to come back...

Main Challenge - Design a creature card that has either disguise or cloak, but NOT both at the same time.

Subchallenge 1 - Exactly one among your card's mana value, power, and toughness is exactly 2. Another one of those values is exactly 3. The last one of those values is exactly 4.

Subchallenge 2 - Choose one or both —

• Your creature is able to kill a fish
(aka a face-down Bubble Smuggler under an opponent's control) while NOT in the combat phase, unconditionally, and also surviving after doing so, even if its controller turns it face up in response to whatever you're doing. For the sake of this Subchallenge, assume you have infinite mana. You do NOT have infinite of any resources other than mana though. (0.5 points) (Please see clarifications.)

• The card's rules text contains both the word "damage" AND the word "face". (0.5 points)

Clarifications (Subchallenge 2, mode 1 updated on March 4rd, 10:40 pm CET to add haywire's questions)
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

• There are two requirements that your card has to meet at the same time to qualify:

1. It's a creature card, which means it has the "creature" card type printed on its type line. A non-creature card that can be animated into a creature does NOT count. As long as your card has the "creature" card type in its type line, it can have any additional supertypes, card types, and subtypes.

2. The card has either the disguise keyword ability or the cloak keyword action in its rules text, but NOT both at the same time. If it has both at the same time, the Main Challenge is failed and the card consequently DQ'ed. Having both is like having none as far as the Main Challenge is concerned.

• Granting disguise and/or cloak to other things does NOT count. The card has to actually have disguise or cloak itself.

Subchallenge 1

• Essentially, you have three variables (mana value, power, and toughness), and you have to assign each of them the number 2, 3, or 4, using each of the three numbers only once. As all people who studied basic combinatorics in their life should understand, there are only six ways this can be done. You have to make one of the following to pass this Subchallenge:
- A 2/3 with mana value 4.
- A 3/2 with mana value 4.
- A 2/4 with mana value 3.
- A 4/2 with mana value 3.
- A 3/4 with mana value 2.
- A 4/3 with mana value 2.

• Any other combination of mana value, power, and toughness does NOT pass this Subchallenge.

• With "power" and "toughness", I mean the printed values, those that you would find in the P/T box in the lower right corner of your card if it were printed for real. Your card can have abilities that can set or modify those values. Here I'm using the verbs "set" and "modify" in their meaning as defined in the CR: for example, the former ("set") is like when you say "CARDNAME's base power becomes 5 until end of turn", while the latter ("modify") is applying + and - bonuses, for example if the card has a static ability that makes it get +1/+1 (or receive a +1/+1 counter) if you have metalcraft, delirium, threshold, or whatever other condition you can think of. Both setting and modifying the card's own printed power and/or toughness with its own abilities are allowed for this Subchallenge. If you wonder where that language ("set" and "modify") comes from, it's layers. Specifically, the four sublayers of layer 7: 7a = CDAs, 7b = P/T setting, 7c = P/T modifying, 7d = P/T switching.

• Your card CAN have all the additional costs, alternative costs, cost increases, and/or cost reductions in its rules text that you want. What matters is the mana value, and that's determined exclusively by the symbols in the card's mana cost as printed. How much mana you actually pay to cast your card does NOT matter, only its mana value as determined according to the CR.

• If present, always consider an X in the mana cost to be 0 to determine its mana value, as usual in any game zone but the stack.

• If your card has disguise, the disguise cost does NOT matter for this Subchallenge. That's not included in the variables checked by this Subchallenge, and if you care, that's just because cloak is allowed as well by the Main Challenge and cloak does not have an associated cost to check here. I actually wanted to also include the disguise cost here, but doing that or including cloak in the Main Challenge are mutually exclusive, so I had to choose one. Given my overall plan for the month, I chose the latter, and given my choice, the disguise cost can't matter here.

Subchallenge 2, mode 1

• Given that we're explicitly not in the combat phase, your creature won't be able to kill the fish via combat damage. If your card needs to attack and be blocked by the fish or to block an attacking fish to kill it, and combat interaction is the ONLY way in which your card can kill the fish, then this Subchallenge mode is NOT met.

Your creature must be able to kill the fish "unconditionally", that means under all possible scenarios outside of combat.
For example, an effect that says "CARDNAME deals damage to target creature an opponent controls equal to the number of creatures you control" will NOT pass this Subchallenge mode, because whether your creature kills the fish or not depends on the number of creatures you control, that must be at least five given that your opponent will turn the fish face up in response. If you have less than five creatures, then that effect does NOT kill the fish, and that's enough for this Subchallenge mode to NOT be met.
Compare that to an effect that says "CARDNAME deals 5 damage to target creature an opponent controls." This WOULD pass this Subchallenge mode, as it will ALWAYS (key word here) kill the fish even if your opponent turns it face up in response.

If your creature can only kill the fish if the fish meets some requirements (such as only if the fish is tapped, only if the fish has attacked or dealt combat damage this turn, only if the fish's controller has drawn two or more cards this turn, only if there is another copy of the fish in its controller's graveyard, etc...) then this Subchallenge mode is NOT met. Your creature has to be able to kill the fish always and unconditionally, that is regardless of the fish's status or any other condition.

• Your card CAN deal noncombat damage to the fish. The only damage that doesn't count for this Subchallenge mode is combat damage, as we're not in the combat phase.

• As we assume you have infinite mana of all five colors and also colorless should it matter, you will always be able to pay the two additional mana for the ward 2 ability of the face-down fish plus whatever other mana cost may need to be paid.

You do NOT have infinite life though, or infinite of any other resources other than mana, so you can't count on those to kill the fish.

• From the discussion thread:
bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
2 months ago
@bravelion83 For March round 1, if my submission has an activated ability involving sacrifice of another creature as a cost and an ability to gain control of Bubble Smuggler, does it satisfy subchallange 2?
As long as it manages to kill the fish under all possible circumstances and even if its controller turns it face up, then yes. If either ability (the sacrifice one and/or the control changing one) has any restriction that might exclude the fish in some circumstances, then no. For example, the following WOULD pass Subchallenge 2, mode 1:

CARDNAME {unknown}UB (probably given the effects?)
Creature — Whatever (?)
Disguise {unknown}UB
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield or is turned face up, gain control of target creature an opponent controls.
{unknown}, Sacrifice another creature: CARDNAME gains indestructible until end of turn.
Some flavor text.
?/?

You can always take control of the fish (with infinite mana to pay the ward 2 cost of the face-down fish and even if your opponent turns it face up in response) and then you can always sacrifice it. Good. Instead, the following would NOT pass Subchallenge 2, mode 1:

Creature — Whatever (?)
Disguise {unknown}UB
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield or is turned face up, gain control of target creature with power 2 or less an opponent controls.
{unknown}, Sacrifice another creature: CARDNAME gains indestructible until end of turn.
Some flavor text.
?/?

You can target the face-down fish to gain control of it (its power is 2 and you have infinite mana to pay the ward 2 cost, so no problem there), but your opponent will always turn it face up in response (it's part of the Subchallenge mode), so when the ability tries to resolve the fish's power is 6 so it's no longer a legal target and it would "fizzle" (be removed from the stack with no effect). You wouldn't gain control of the fish, let alone sacrifice it. The same is true if you move the restriction to the sacrifice ability, the following would also NOT pass Subchallenge 2, mode 1:

Creature — Whatever (?)
Disguise {unknown}UB
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield or is turned face up, gain control of target creature an opponent controls.
{unknown}, Sacrifice another creature with power 2 or less: CARDNAME gains indestructible until end of turn.
Some flavor text.
?/?

Here you would always gain control of the fish, but your opponent will turn it face up in response, so you will gain control of the 6/5 face-up fish. Its power is 6, so you can't sacrifice it because it doesn't have power 2 or less as required by the last ability's activation cost. Thus, Subchallenge 2, mode 1 is NOT met here.

Hope this helps. Adding this to the clarifications spoiler.
bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
haywire wrote:
2 months ago
@bravelion83 for march round 1, if my card only deals 2 damage to the fish, but has an ability like Karlov Watchdog that prevents my opponent from turning it face up, does that satisfy the subchallenge?

edited to add: and is the answer different if my card simply says "Permanents can't be turned face up" to remove questions of conditionality?
It depends. Your opponent will always turn the fish face up in response but only if they're able to of course, like everything else in Magic. You can only do things you're allowed to do. Given that you say that "permanents can't be turned face up", your opponent won't be allowed to turn the fish face up so they won't because they can't, so the fish stays a face-down 2/2 with ward 2, and dealing only 2 damage to the fish will be enough to kill it. Ward is not a problem as you have infinite mana. Any wording that unconditionally prevents your opponent from turning their permanents face up will work for this purpose, but the Watchdog's effect is NOT "unconditional", as it only lets you do it on your turn, so it does NOT count. If you remove all conditionality using a wording like the one you proposed in your last question, then yes, it will always work so Subchallenge 2, mode 1 will indeed be met. For it to be satisfied, you have to be able to do it at any time, regardless of whose turn it is. Hope this helps. Adding this to the clarifications.
bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
haywire wrote:
2 months ago
@bravelion83 sounds good, that's what I assumed. I do have one more question I just thought of on subchallenge 2.

For "kill the fish", does it have to be sent to graveyard? Or do any of exile/bottom of library/top of library/hand etc count? And in the exile case, does permanent exile versus temporary exile matter?
"Kill" here is shorthand for "makes the fish die", and "dies" implies that only the graveyard counts as that's the Magic meaning of the verb "to die" according to the CR. You have to send the fish specifically to the graveyard. Exiling it or going anywhere other than the graveyard does NOT count. Adding this too to the clarifications.

Subchallenge 2, mode 2

• The word "face" does NOT necessarily have to be used in the context of "face up" or "face down", though it can obviously be just that as well.

• The hyphenated "face-up" and "face-down" also count for this specific requirement.

• On the contrary, if your card's name includes one or both of the required words, the card's name being repeated in the rules text does NOT count, as it just stands for "this object" according to the CR.

• All text in italics (including reminder text, ability words, flavor text, and eventual flavor words like those they sometimes put before abilities in Universes Beyond cards) also does NOT count.

• The plural or third-person verb "faces", as well as the past participle "faced", and any other similar variations are NOT allowed. The same is true for the word "damage": for example, the past participle "damaged" is NOT allowed. They have to be the exact strings of characters F-A-C-E and D-A-M-A-G-E with a space both right before (unless they are somehow at the beginning of a line) and right after it (unless there is a punctuation mark there).

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. You can find it in a low size PDF version attached to this post and you can also find the link to the original higher size PDF in my signature. They are the same document, I just had to compress it more to be able to put it here as an attachment as the original file, the one linked in my signature, is too large to be attached here. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, March 6th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Saturday, March 9th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Eventual time extensions required WILL eat time from the next round to realign with the calendar, so please ask them only if you really need them. This is for both players and judges. As a reminder, here is the calendar:
March MCC calendar
Show
Hide
MCC-MKM-calendar.png

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
Ink-Treader

We might or might not need more judges. If you're interested, sign up in the judge signup thread.

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

A reminder to everyone: In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.

BRACKETS

These brackets were determined by dice throwing. Top 5 from each bracket advance to the next round. This is an exception due to the high number of last minute entries. (Thanks everyone!)

Judge: bravelion83

AnotherAlias
haywire
Henlock
KB52665
Komandon
marioguy3
shullz
Subject16

Judge: Ink-Treader

Caspernicus
Freyleyes
kwanyeegor-ii
Lorn Asbord Schutta
MonoRedMage
netn10
slimytrout
void_nothing

Judging may begin right now.
Attachments
Nexus MCC Guidelines and FAQ (low size version for attachment).pdf
Last edited by bravelion83 2 months ago, edited 20 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 months ago

Undercity Huntmaster 2G
Creature — Elf Ranger (R)
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, cloak the top card of your library. (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature with ward 2. Turn it up at any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
At the beginning of your end step, you may pay 2. When you do, each face-down creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature.
2/4

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

The Cozen, Orzhov Contractor 1WB
Legendary Creature - Human Assassin (Rare)
Disguise 2
Lifelink
When The Cozen turns face-up, it deals damage equal to its power target tapped creature.
X, T: The Cozen deals X damage to target tapped creature.
"The first one's on me."
4/2

shullz

Post by shullz » 2 months ago

Spiteful Pacifist
Creature — Human Monk (Rare)
Defender
Disguise (You may cast this card face down for as a 2/2 creature with ward . Turn it face up any time for its disguise cost.)
When Spiteful Pacifist is turned face up, target creature deals damage to itself equal to its power.
Whenever Spiteful Pacifist is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to any target.
2/4
Last edited by shullz 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 2 months ago

Pyromanic Gazer 2UR
Creature — Human Wizard (Rare)
Disguise 1{u/r}{u/r}
When Pyromanic Gazer enters the battlefield or is turned face up, it deals 5 damage to target creature. If 3 or more excess damage is dealt, draw a card.
You may look at face-down creatures and cards in exile as long as sources you control have dealt 3 or more noncombat damage this turn.
"The key to see what is meant to be hidden is sometimes setting ablaze the everything until you find it." — Niv-Mizzet
2/3
Last edited by Komandon 2 months ago, edited 7 times in total.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 2 months ago

Underwater Harborer 2gu
Creature — Vedalken Rogue Mutant (R)
When Underwater Harborer enters the battlefield, you may cloak the top card of your library.
Whenever another creature you control is turned face-up, you may pay any number of times. When you pay this cost one or more times, put that many +1/+1 counters on that creature, then that creature deals damage equal to its power to another target creature.
2/3
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 months ago

Milge, Graverobber 2BR
Legendary Creature — Imp (R)
Flying, haste
Whenever Milge, Graverobber attacks, exile all creature cards from all opponents' graveyards face down. Create a Treasure token.
Whenever Milge, Graverobber deals combat damage to a player, choose a card at random exiled with Milge, Graverobber and cloak it.
She once heard a critic say that comedy is dead.
3/2
Last edited by slimytrout 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 months ago

Spy Network's Recruiter
Creature — Human Rogue (R)
When Spy Network's Recruiter enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature. If it's not face-down, exile it, then cloak it.
, Sacrifice a face-down creature: Cloak a card from target player's hand of their choice. Activate only as a sorcery.
Pulling one string can be enough to cast a wide net of invigilation.
3/2

bravelion83

36 hours left to the design deadline, 7 submissions so far. I'd like to get to 10 within the deadline tomorrow night.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 2 months ago

Innards Igniter
Creature — Goblin Shaman (U)
When Innards Igniter enters the battlefield or is turned face up, up to one target creature deals damage to itself equal to its power plus the number of cards exiled this turn.
Disguise—, Collect evidence 6 (You may cast this card face down for as a 2/2 creature with ward . Turn it face up any time for its disguise cost. To collect evidence 6, exile cards with total mana value 6 or greater from your graveyard.)
Who could've known inner fire would hurt so much.

3/2
Last edited by AnotherAlias 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 months ago

Hooded Sniper 1rg
Creature - Human Archer (u)
1, T: Cloak Hooded Sniper. When you do, it deals 1 damage to any target.
When Hooded Sniper is tuned face-up, untap it.
A moment. A loxodon body on the ground. An arrow, shot with extreme precision directly at his heart.
2/4

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 2 months ago

Jaki, Master Detective {B/R}{B/R}W
Legendary Creature — Human Detective{M}
Lifelink, protection from face-down cards and cards turned face-up this turn
Whenever a card is turned face-up, create a Treasure token.
Disguise {B/R}W
When Jaki, Master Detective is turned face-up, deal 3 damage to each creature.
"Each secret bared, a prize bestowed, in pursuit of truth, the path is sowed... So anyway, I STARTED BLASTING!"
4/2
Last edited by Freyleyes 2 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 2 months ago

Insider Agent 2ub
Creature — Human Detective Rogue (R)
Disguise 1{u/b}{u/b}
Whenever Insider Agent enters the battlefield or is turned face up, you may put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target face-down creature and turn it face up. If you don't, turn Insider Agent and target face-up creature face down. They're 2/2 creatures with ward .
2/3
Render
Show
Hide
Last edited by KB52665 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

haywire

Post by haywire » 2 months ago

Kerat, the Elusive Flame
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard {M}
Prowess
Disguise
When Kerat, the Elusive Flame is turned face up, choose 2 —
  • Kerat deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
  • Turn any number of creatures you control with disguise face down, then put a prowess counter on each face-down creature you control.
  • Exile the top 5 cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may cast noncreature spells from among them.
4/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Oilseas, Callous Polluter
Legendary Creature — Octopus Demon (Mythic Rare)
Disguise
When Oilseas, Callous Polluter is turned face up during your main phase, destroy all Cephalid, Fish, Jellyfish, and Merfolk creatures.
Whenever Oilseas, Callous Polluter deals damage to a creature, you draw a card and Oilseas, Callous Polluter deals 1 damage to you and each other creature you control.
3/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 months ago

Bestial Operatives 5R
Creature - Centaur Minotaur Viashino {R}
When Bestial Operatives enters the battlefield, choose one -
- Cloak a random creature card from your graveyard, then put a +1/+1 counter on each face-down creature you control.
- Bestial Operatives deals 6 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
- Discard two cards, then draw three cards.
2R, Exile Bestial Operatives: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may put a Centaur, Minotaur, or Viashino creature card you own in exile onto the battlefield. If you lose the flip, Bestial Operatives deals 6 damage to each opponent.
6/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Lakavea, Ezrim's Solver 3W
Legendary Creature - Angel Detective (R)
Flying
T: Choose target creature that's colorless or that has power 5 or greater. If you don't own it, destroy it. Otherwise, return it to your hand and create a Treasure token.
3U, T: Scry 1, then cloak the top card of your library.
1R: Target creature gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
Agency methods, firemane fervor.
2/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 months ago

Sidewalk Phytohydra 2G
Creature - Plant Hydra (Rare)
As Sidewalk Phytohydra is turned face up, put a reach counter, a trample counter, and a vigilance counter on it and two +1/+1 counters on each Plant and Hydra you control.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Sidewalk Phytohydra.
At the beginning of each end step, if damage that would have been dealt to Sidewalk Phytohydra was prevented this turn, create an X/X green Plant Hydra creature token, where X is Sidewalk Phytohydra's power.
Disguise 3GG
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

bravelion83

The round is closed.

BRACKETS

These brackets were determined by dice throwing. Top 5 from each bracket advance to the next round. This is an exception due to the high number of last minute entries. (Thanks everyone!)

Judge: bravelion83

AnotherAlias
haywire
Henlock
KB52665
Komandon
marioguy3
shullz
Subject16

Judge: Ink-Treader

Caspernicus
Freyleyes
kwanyeegor-ii
Lorn Asbord Schutta
MonoRedMage
netn10
slimytrout
void_nothing

Judging may begin right now.

Show
Hide

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 months ago

And finished
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - I think Timmy likes this just fine as 4/5 of stats for 4, and a potent way to dump mana. Not too much for Johnny, but there's angles. It is efficient enough for Spike in stats, and the extra G to get the 'bite' effect feels reasonable.
(3/3) Elegance - Seems elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - There may only be one monogreen cloak card, but this could just be monogreen. Rare is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - That's quite a lot of "bite" potential, but it does at least require a critical mass of face-down effects to get a lot of mileage.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - First ability is nothing new. Second ability is a bit more unique, especially for the triggering condition.
(2/3) Flavor - A bit generic. The name works well with the cloaking to be sure, but doesn't really justify the "bite" effect. No room for flavor text.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "face-up" should be "face up" "Face up" is used to denote what a card is becoming, where as "face-up" is used to specify cards that already are face up.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Has only cloak.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - 2, 3, 4 are properly distributed. Contains "face" and "damage". The fact that this needs you to be able to turn another card face up, and that there's no guarantee that you can flip the card that this cloaks makes me feel dubious that this fulfills the other half.

Total: 21/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Its got the stats for Timmy, but they don't like this bolting their own creatures too. There's some potential for Johnny. This is definitely most appealing to Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - It's pretty easy to overlook that this is protected from its own turn face up ability.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Black feels unnecessary, and rather bendy seeing as black doesn't really do mass noncombat damage these days. Just red and white would have been entirely fine. Mythic looks appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - The amount of life this can potentially gain you on flip is rather insane, but otherwise this just seems pushed, but reasonable.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The protection is new, as is that trigger condition for gaining Treasure. Feels quite fresh.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Referencing memes is a bit gauche, and the juxtaposition in the flavor text with what comes before is jarring. Otherwise, this does seem like an interesting set of abilities for a detective.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - The protection should be from "face-down permanents" (or creatures), not cards. I don't think there are any cards that do anything in exile while still face-down. Every instance of "face-up" should be "face up". Should be "it deals 3 damage" not "deal 3 damage"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Has only disguise
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - 2, 3, and 4 are properly distributed. Has "damage" and "face", but Bubble Smuggler can turn face up in response to the damage to survive.

Total: 19/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - The initial stats are a bit underwhelming for Timmy, but that flip effect is really cool. Has some Johnny appeal in the vein of the original. It's a very annoying blocker that Spike can get some value out of, and it does get significantly more valuable if it flips, but it's a bit expensive.
(2/3) Elegance - Some small things here and there, gaining lots of counters, but the +1/+1 counters are distributed differently. Also a little feel bad that you can't (with just 1) hand those counters out to the tokens this will be making. The counters being potentially placed on other permanents as this is turned face up may lead to unexpected results, due to the novelty.

Development
(3/3) Viability - That's all reasonably green, and rare is appropriate. I must note that an "as this is turned face up ability" has never put counters on permanents other than the permanent being turned face up. I don't think the rules oppose it, but it is highly unusual.
(3/3) Balance - On one hand, it's an extremely annoying blocker. On the other, it becomes a very dangerous attacker that is also an even more annoying blocker. Rare will keep it from being all over Limited. Ultimately I don't think it's overpowered, outside of Limited where it's well, rare.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Checking for damage prevention after it has happened is new it looks like. Does general Plant stuff, but feels fairly fresh.
(2.5/3) Flavor - This seems to work alright. It plays differently from the original Phytohydra, and the idea that it's growing out the sidewalk fits well with disguise. No room for flavor text.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - The abilities are ordered incorrectly. The 2nd and 3rd ability should be 1st and 2nd, then Disguise, then the face up effect. That trigger is entirely novel as far as I can tell, but what I can say is that Magic strongly favors contractions, so it should be "would've", not "would have"
(0.5/2) Subchallenges - Only 3 is present. Has "damage" and "face", but can't kill Bubble Smuggler outside of combat.

Total: 20/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Not really a Timmy card. Has some play for Johnny, but ultimately Spike favors this most.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Blue and black are certainly appropriate, as is rare.
(1.5/3) Balance - Stealing creatures on a blinkable creature at this cost is rather concerning, even if is (probably) nerfing the creatures stats. The activated ability isn't an issue by comparison, as the cost compares fine to Dimir Guildmage, but put together this card does more than it probably should, as the creature stealing is already fantastic for this cost.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This does some pretty novel things with existing tech.
(3/3) Flavor - This is overall pretty pleasing.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - The activated ability is extremely novel, since no existing abilities can cloak/manifest out of another player's hand. This does work I think, but I wonder if another, somewhat wordier method would be employed instead.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - 2, 3, and 4 are properly distributed. Doesn't have "damage", but can kill a Bubble Smuggler outside of combat.

Total: 22/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Absolute Timmy appeal. There's enough to intrigue Johnny. Spike finds it interesting. It can dodge removal, though potentially it stays removed and you get the consolation prize of potent burn.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The last ability is a little weird in functionality, but this is otherwise fine.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Cloaking creature cards from your graveyard is definitely black or white, not red, at random or not. Pulling stuff from exile other than the card itself is pretty rare, and something that doesn't happen much still, limited in scope though this may be. Rare is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - It does quite a lot, but for 6 mana and being vanilla in combat, this seems fine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The activated ability is very novel. The EtB not as much, but the first option is pretty unique.
(2/3) Flavor - Generic, though an intriguing collection of creatures, and the flavor of the activated ability is a bit unorthodox (Are they deciding "that's it, I'm done with this"?). Could certainly fit Gruul.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I am quite certain it should be "cloak a creature card from your graveyard at random". The only instances of random without "at" appear to all be Alchemy cards grabbing cards out of the library.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't have the numbers. Does contain "damage" and "face", and can always kill a Bubble Smuggler.

Total: 19.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - More a Timmy and Spike card; no Johnny appeal.
(3/3) Elegance - Quite elegant.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This could definitely be monowhite, though monoblack isn't impossible, merely improbable. Rare is appropriate.
(2.5/3) Balance - Sure, it costs mana, but this is nearly as irritating as Royal Assassin, but with better combat (and life gain attached!). Not a broken card, but I can definitely see this defining what can be played in Standard.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Familiar effects on a different package.
(3/3) Flavor - The name kind of works with disguise, and I actually quite like how the flavor text ties into the abilities without feeling too blunt.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Lifelink should go above the Disguise ability. Maybe the activated ability too, but it sort of reflects the triggered ability.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - Has 2, 3, and 4 properly distributed. Does contain "damage" and "face", but can't kill a Bubble Smuggler unconditionally.

Total: 20.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Maybe a little small for Timmy, but it does enough. Johnny doesn't have much interest. Spike finds it good enough, and appreciates that the Treasure will help with flipping any of the stolen creatures.
(3/3) Elegance - Certainly.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Could be monoblack. Rare is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - Quite good, maybe even a decent Commander. Can definitely get quite a lot of value, especially if it gets to attack more than once.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Suprisingly still only one card that manifests/cloaks from a graveyard (and it does it en masse). Familiar concepts with a twist.
(3/3) Flavor - Quite solid. Not sure how the cloaking fits in, but it's reasonable.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Has only cloak
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - 2, 3, and 4 are properly distributed. Fulfills the "damage" and "face" requirements, but not the "kills Bubble Smuggler outside of combat requirement"

Total: 22.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - A little bit for Timmy, a little bit for Johnny, and a nice package of effects for Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Smiting specifically colorless creatures feels a bit wrong for white (and appears to be new for the color), but everything else is fine. Rare is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - A lot of utility, but the best parts require tapping, so summoning sickness is in play.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - That first activated ability is pretty unique; the rest not as much.
(3/3) Flavor - This works, and I appreciate that the intersecting ability between WU and RW has elements that fit both a detective and a Firemane angel.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Has only cloak
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - 2, 3, and 4 are properly distributed. Has neither "damage" nor "face", but can kill a Bubble Smuggler.

Total: 22/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout - 22.5
void_nothing - 22
Lorn Asbord Schutta - 22
Caspernicus - 21
netn10 - 20.5

kwanyeegor-ii - 20
MonoRedMage - 19.5
Freyleyes - 19
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

bravelion83

Judgments complete. Now it's almost 4 am here in Italy, I've spent the whole evening and night writing these. I can't check these for typos now, I'll do it tomorrow and in the meantime I will trust Word's grammar check, which actually is not usually a good idea... Anyway, it's late and I need to go to bed. So good night, everyone! Please check the notes at the end of this judgment post.

I was secretly hoping that somebody would have designed a Bear creature to kill the fish... As I came up with that Subchallenge, I immediately laughed for what felt like several minutes picturing the image in my mind, and I told myself: "Leo, you just have to include this challenge!" So, that's the reason why it was there, but it looks like nobody fulfilled my secret wish... Well, I guess there are no bears on Ravnica, even if nothing told you that your card had to come from Ravnica, and that wasn't by chance either. I didn't restrict you about the plane your creature had to be from specifically to allow you to make a Bear to kill the fish... No problems though. This is a contest, so you all were right in trying to make the best card you could even if it wasn't a Bear. There is just a sad Lion here... but don't worry, the Lion is often sad, and trust me, he has his reasons why.
A Bear that would have met all challenges, Main and Sub
Show
Hide
Lonely Bear 2G
Creature — Bear (R)
Disguise 3GG (You may cast this card face down for 3 as a 2/2 creature with ward 2. Turn it face up any time for its disguise cost.)
When Lonely Bear is turned face up, create a token that's a copy of it, except the copy doesn't have disguise.
1G: Target creature token you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
Sometimes loneliness is too hard to bear.
2/4

It has disguise but not cloak, meeting the Main Challenge. 2-3-4 is there as requested by Subchallenge 1. It has both the words "face" (in the face up trigger condition) and "damage" (in the last ability), as requested by Subchallenge 2, mode 2. And most of all, it can kill the fish unconditionally all by itself: cast it face down disguised then turn it face up making a disguise-less token copy of the Bear, a companion to make it feel less lonely. Then activate the last ability as many times as needed to have the token copy of the Bear kill the fish by eating... uhm, sorry, I meant by biting it. Three activations (with your infinite green mana) are enough to kill the fish even if your opponent turns it face up in response. And as a bonus, even if your opponent tries to prevent some of that damage, you have infinite mana, so you keep activating the last ability in response to whatever your opponent tried to do to prevent the damage. It was possible. I don't know how this would have done in the rubric, but it's a Bear that not only can kill the fish, but also bite it and eat it! And also, by the way, it's not microtext: it's nine lines and three breaks.
For Uniqueness, I will be using the table of our original intent that I have refound while republishing my article #11 of The Lion's Lair (see Leo's content link in my signature). For reference, here it is again, together with my usual microtext limits that I mention in some of the judgments:
Leo's Uniqueness table
Show
Hide
Source: The Lion's Lair #11 - Monthly (Card Contest) review

3: this is a card that does something never done before, not even on a single card.
2.5: this is a card that has an effect that is rarely seen in modern Magic, but not very often.
2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist.
1.5: this is a card that does something we've already seen but without big innovations.
1: this is a card that does something we've already seen multiple times and doesn't innovate it in any way.
0.5: this is a card that does something we see all the time in real sets, and maybe there is only some little detail we've not seen before.
0: this is a card that does something we see all the time in real sets and in a way we also see all the time in real sets.
Microtext limits (for reference)
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the M15 frame, you can have:
• Up to eight lines with however many breaks you want.
• Nine lines with up to four breaks. If you have more than four breaks, it's microtext.
• Ten lines with up to two breaks. If you have more than two breaks, it's microtext.
• Eleven lines and a single break. If you have more than one break, it's microtext.
• If you have twelve lines of more, it's microtext regardless of breaks.
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the MSE M15 frame you can have at most:
• Eight lines or fewer with any number of paragraph breaks.
• Nine lines with at most four breaks.
• Ten lines with at most two breaks.
• Eleven lines with a single break.
• Everything that is twelve lines or more is microtext regardless of breaks.

March 9th 9 pm CET - Review is over for now, unless further feedback arrives to me before the judging deadline. Thanks to the players who sent me the feedback that made me do this review. This is why judges finishing their judgments on time and possibly early is a good thing, and once again, the way this contest is supposed to work. Added parts are in blue. A few scores have been adjusted, but who is advancing to the next round doesn't change.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
2 months ago
Innards Igniter
Creature — Goblin Shaman (U)
When Innards Igniter enters the battlefield or is turned face up, up to one target creature deals damage to itself equal to its power plus the number of cards exiled this turn.
Disguise—, Collect evidence 6 (You may cast this card face down for as a 2/2 creature with ward . Turn it face up any time for its disguise cost. To collect evidence 6, exile cards with total mana value 6 or greater from your graveyard.)
Who could've known inner fire would hurt so much.

3/2
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes the first ability especially. Johnny might want to pair this with things like Stuffy Doll for the first ability or with things that care about cards leaving the graveyard like those in Lorehold from Strixhaven for collecting evidence. Spike likes the synergy between the abilities and the rate looks good enough for her, at least in limited.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Maybe a bit wordy, but no other problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Rate looks good to me and appropriate for uncommon, after all this is essentially a French vanilla, after the first ability has its effect when this enters or is turned face up only the body is relevant. Certainly playable in limited. Interesting in Standard as high-damage removal. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - From my article - "2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist." That's exactly the case here. We've seen effects having a creature deal damage to itself equal to its power, but not summed to a different and actually unusual variable. We've also obviously seen disguise, but pairing it with another named mechanic from the same set with a good synergy and also the disguise cost having both a mana and a non-mana component together are very nice twists.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems with the name or flavor text. On the contrary, they actually fit pretty nicely with the mechanics.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - When a keyword ability cost has a non-mana component as its last piece, it's always followed by a period/full stop, which is missing here. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Has disguise but not cloak. Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". It kills the fish out of combat by having it deal damage at least equal to its power to itself, which is definitely enough to do it even if it's turned face up in response: mark either 2 damage on the 2/2 face-down fish or 6 on the 6/5 face-up fish and then just let SBAs do their job. Always remember: it's not damage that kills a creature. It's SBAs.
TOTAL 23/25
haywire (reviewed)
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
2 months ago
Kerat, the Elusive Flame
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard {M}
Prowess
Disguise
When Kerat, the Elusive Flame is turned face up, choose 2 —
  • Kerat deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
  • Turn any number of creatures you control with disguise face down, then put a prowess counter on each face-down creature you control.
  • Exile the top 5 cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may cast noncreature spells from among them.
4/2
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy approves. Johnny's attention is attracted by that second mode. Spike always likes the high flexibility of modal effects.
Elegance 1.5/3 - Definitely wordy and requires focus both to read and to play.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie or rarity. Unfortunately, prowess counters don't exist in the current rules even though they would be a very easy addition to the CR:
CR (MKM) wrote:122.1b A keyword counter on a permanent or on a card in a zone other than the battlefield causes that object to gain that keyword. The keywords that a keyword counter can be are flying, first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, shadow, trample, and vigilance, as well as any variants of those keywords.
Prowess is not on that list currently.
Balance 3/3 - Limited bomb as most mythics are. The low toughness is nice for keeping this under control. In constructed I think the high flexibility and the fact that you can choose two and not just one could help find this card a home. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - From my article - "2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist." I've also thought about 2.5 because of the second mode, but it looked too much to me for the overall card. I felt better considering this mostly effects that we've already seen before but the second mode qualifying as the "new twist".
Flavor 3/3 - No room for flavor text, but that's not a problem at mythic. The name is very good and evocative. No real problems here, I guess.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - No room for reminder text but this is mythic so that's fine. The number of modes you can choose is always spelled out as a number word as not a numeral, so here it should be "choose two". (-0.5) The extra line breaks are just due to the use of a list tag instead of the bullet point character (•), so that's just a technical issue of the forum software and clearly not intentional, so no deduction for that though it wouldn't be the way the card would look like if printed for real, but I can't blame it on you. The number of cards exiled in the last mode should also be spelled out as a number word ("Exile the top five card of your library...", -0.5).
Subchallenges 2/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". Dealing 3 damage to the fish is NOT enough to kill it, as your opponent will always turn it face up in response, making it a 6/5. As haywire themselves pointed out in the discussion thread, this is only part of the process. I had mentally processed the card here (not in other areas, specifically here) as if it said "choose one" and not two. But you actually can choose two modes, not just one, and that changes everything, because if you chose the first two modes, then even if your opponent has turned the fish face up (and in this case they must do so before the ability even starts resolving by the way), you turn it face down again with the second mode, and it will still have the 3 damage from the first mode marked on it, so it will be a 2/2 with 3 damage marked on it (ward doesn't matter here) and SBAs will take care of it the next time a player is about to receive priority, sending the face-down fish to the graveyard. This is good and does indeed commit a fish-icide as requested, so I gave you 0.5 points back here.
TOTAL 20.5/25
Henlock (reviewed)
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
2 months ago
Hooded Sniper 1rg
Creature - Human Archer (u)
1, T: Cloak Hooded Sniper. When you do, it deals 1 damage to any target.
When Hooded Sniper is tuned face-up, untap it.
A moment. A loxodon body on the ground. An arrow, shot with extreme precision directly at his heart.
2/4
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - This card is made for Johnny, period. So many tricks he can do with this. I don't feel like Timmy and Spike care too much.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie, or rarity, or the rules. After further research, there is a problem with the rules though. The official CR entry for cloak only allows you to cloak "cards", but on the battlefield there are "permanents", not "cards". On the stack, there are "spells" and not "cards". In the rules, the word "card" means something (that's not a token obviously but that's not the point here) that's anywhere BUT the stack or the battlefield. So you can't cloak permanents from the battlefield, and you also wouldn't be able to cloak spells on the stack. Everything else is fair game though. In this case, I would suggest something like the Origins planeswalkers: exile this creature and then cloak it from exile. Objects in exile are indeed "cards", so that would work. If you just add haste to this card, which you can obviously do in red, to allow it to use the tap ability again immediately as it's un-cloaked the second and following times, or remove the tap symbol from the activation cost (you choose which way you like best, I would probably just add haste personally), then the one-card combo would also still work, so that wouldn't be a problem either. Adjusting the score here accordingly. For reference, this is cloak's definition as it is in the CR:
CR (MKM) wrote: 701.56. Cloak
701.56a To cloak a card, turn it face down. It becomes a 2/2 face-down creature card with ward {2}, no name, no subtypes, and no mana cost. Put that card onto the battlefield face down. That permanent is a cloaked permanent for as long as it remains face down. The effect defining its characteristics works while the card is face down and ends when it's turned face up.
Nothing in the following subrules or in rule 708, "Face-Down Spells and Permanents" allows you to cloak something that's not technically a "card" but a "permanent" on the battlefield, nor that would allow a "spell" on the stack to be cloaked.
Balance 2/3 - No problems in limited, if you're in the right colors you will play this. I can't really see this in constructed except for combo decks built to exploit the ping ability. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - From my article - "1.5: this is a card that does something we've already seen but without big innovations." I feel like this is a perfect definition for this card. We've already seen everything here, just not put together in this exact way. None of the card's pieces are really new here.
Flavor 1/3 - Well, I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. On one side, I'm flattered that you directly took a line from my own story as flavor text, and not just a random line, but one that I spent quite some time crafting specifically to communicate the feeling of the people who were there in the crowd in that moment. Short sentences. Single words. No verbs whatsoever. Silence. A feeling of disorientation. Looking left, then right, then back forward without knowing how you're supposed to feel. Doing it again while writing this judgment not so much to show that I can do it again, but because it's actually how I felt seeing you using my line as flavor text. Not knowing whether the color I'm seeing on the screen in from of me is black or white. Dark or light. Flattered or tricked. A player playing to the judge, is that what I'm seeing here? It was intentional for sure, it's too apparent not to be. Really, I don't know what to do here. Should I judge how I myself wrote that line? It does its job on this card as it does in the story, that's for sure, but I can't say it's original. It's not you who wrote this flavor text, it was me. And while it's a line that I think I did write well, or at least well enough hopefully, I can't say that line was your own creation, as it's supposed to be in this contest, and in fact I think I can remember that it's written somewhere in the guidelines document that your submissions should be your own creation and only your own. I feel like you taking a line directly from the parallel story that I (and not you, that's the point) have written goes against that spirit. I'm not claiming copyright or anything like that, but this flavor text wasn't your creation. It was mine. And not only that, the whole card concept is clearly meant to represent the killer from my story, and I will stop here because of spoilers. I'll just say that I've already made a custom card for him, and you all will see it when I post cards for ALL the major characters from the story in the last episode. So, to everybody: no need to design cards for Roy, the killer, the loxodon victim, and other characters that you're going to meet in the next episodes. I've already done it. I was just waiting for the story to be over to show them off. If my story was a movie, that was supposed to be the stinger during the credits at the end. It's still going to happen, but it will no longer be a surprise, I guess. Let's just say that you made your version of this character. In the end, many Magic real characters have multiple different cards representing them, sometimes even in the same set. Chandra growing up in a core set that now I can't remember which one it was, multiple main characters receiving multiple cards in the Lord of the Rings set, Urza and Mishra in BRO, etc... But the same problem arises: your submission is not actually yours, at least in card concept. And on top of that, do you really think that I don't have any plans for that killer in future episodes? I have a direction I'm going to take him in the next episodes, and while this can be a screenshot of the moment he shoots that killing arrow, who can tell you whether this card concept is coherent with that direction? Well, I could... but I'm the only one to know what's coming in the story, as I've finished writing all four episodes about ten days ago. You don't know what's going to happen to him. I do. Dice gave this card to me, but maybe I wasn't the best judge for this card... The name is good, and luckily not the same that I've chosen for his stinger card that you'll see at the end of Episode 4, and I'll leave it at that because I feel I've already given enough spoilers... All little details, sure, and maybe you can't even understand them without knowing the rest of the story, but... Yeah, let's just end it here. I've also already gone long enough, as is usual to me. The reason for low points here is that this flavor, and especially the flavor text, is not, or at least not completely, your own original creation, as required by the guidelines. From section 5.3.4 - External help: "All cards you submit to this contest must be your own creation."

At least now I know for sure there is someone who actually reads my story, and that's exciting and rewarding to me as its author! Thank you for this! I spent one whole month on it, and now I also know for sure that time wasn't wasted. That's priceless to me as a writer, so thanks again for that. Try to race with Roy to find out more about that hooded sniper who killed that loxodon! Regardless of how this round goes, please don't take this score as a sign that I don't want you to keep reading my story, actually I hope you keep reading it in future rounds anyway. As I said, you'll see this character's card at the very end.

Polish
Quality 1/3 - Hyphen on the type line while some of your direct opponents in this bracket have correctly used an em dash, so -0.5 for that. Reminder text for cloak is missing and can't be omitted on an uncommon, only at rare or mythic and even then only if there is no room for it. (-0.5) A typo: "tuned" instead of "turned". The "r" is missing. (-0.5) Right afterwards, there should be no hyphen between the words "face" and "up". (-0.5) Luckily, I didn't make any typos in the flavor text... or at least, not in that line.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Has cloak but not disguise. Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". A one-card combo to kill the fish, rather convoluted but it works just fine. Let's just ignore any mana payment as you have infinite mana. Also assume this card is adjusted to have haste, or any other solution to allow cloak to work as required by the CR while also allowing at the same time the first ability to be used repeatedly. Start by tapping the sniper to probably exile then cloak the sniper itself from exile, turning it face down, and having it deal 1 damage to the fish, which is now a 2/2 face-down creature with 1 damage marked on it. Now the sniper is cloaked. It's a creature, so you can pay its mana cost to un-cloak it. Normally once you do that, the sniper would still be tapped, but you've just turned it face up by un-cloaking it, so its triggered ability triggers and untaps it. Back to square one. Repeat the cycle to deal another 1 damage to the fish, but as you're about to do that you opponent will turn it face up in response to not let it die. At the end of the second cycle, the fish will be a face-up 6/5 with 2 damage marked on it. Mark 3 more damage on it by repeating the cycle three more times, and then let SBAs do their job. Remember: it's not damage that kills a creature, it's SBAs! Once they do, there you go! You have a dead fish! Good! Hey, everybody! Everybody wake up! The combo is finally over!
TOTAL 16/25
KB52665
Show
Hide
KB52665 wrote:
2 months ago
Insider Agent 2ub
Creature — Human Detective Rogue (R)
Disguise 1{u/b}{u/b}
Whenever Insider Agent enters the battlefield or is turned face up, you may put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target face-down creature and turn it face up. If you don't, turn Insider Agent and target face-up creature face down. They're 2/2 creatures with ward .
2/3
Making a render is always an option you have, but the render is ignored in judgments, only the text card counts, so I'm omitting the render from the quote. Renders are allowed in this contest, as long as the text version of the card is also there, and they are nice to look at, but they aren't judged according to the guidelines.

Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - This card is made for Johnny, period. So many tricks he can do with this. I don't feel like Timmy and Spike care too much.
Elegance 1/3 - The triggered ability requires some focus to read and play and also a pretty big amount of card manipulation. Also, probably a little bit of tracking complexity to add to the mix, even though not too much.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - I see both blue and black here, so no problems with the colors, I'm just not sure the ability is hybrid. I don't think either monoblue or monoblack would be able to do that by themselves. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 1.5/3 - No problems in limited, if you're in the right colors you will play this. I can't really see this in constructed except for combo decks built to exploit the triggered ability. Also, 2/3 for four mana is usually weak in constructed. The high complexity of the triggered ability might make this not the most fun card to play with to some casual players. No problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - From my article - "2.5: this is a card that has an effect that is rarely seen in modern Magic, but not very often." What qualifies here is the way the triggered ability works. I think the last time we've seen something that turns itself and something else face down is Jeskai Infiltrator, back in Fate Reforged.
Flavor 2/3 - One line of flavor text could have fit, so in this case its absence is a problem. (Also see Quality.) The name and general flavor of this card is good, no problems about that.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - MSE shows me there is room for disguise's reminder text here, so it should have been included, and on top of that one line of flavor text would have still fit with the reminder text for disguise if you had correctly put it in, so even that is not a problem. -0.5 for missing reminder text.
Subchallenges 1/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" but not "damage". This will NOT work to kill the fish. The idea was probably to accumulate enough -1/-1 counters on the fish, but your opponent will always turn the fish face up in response to the trigger (it was part of the challenge), which gives the fish four +1/+1 counters. Unfortunately for you, the +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters annihilation rule is an SBA, so it will remove the -1/-1 counter before you get even priority again. I see no one-card combos here that can get around that and successfully kill the fish, unlike with Henlock's card right above yours. So Subchallenge 1 is met, but neither of the modes of Subchallenge 2 is.
TOTAL 16.5/25
Komandon (reviewed)
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
2 months ago
Pyromanic Gazer 2UR
Creature — Human Wizard (Rare)
Disguise 1{u/r}{u/r}
When Pyromanic Gazer enters the battlefield or is turned face up, it deals 5 damage to target creature. If 3 or more excess damage is dealt, draw a card.
You may look at face-down creatures and cards in exile as long as sources you control have dealt 3 or more noncombat damage this turn.
"The key to see what is meant to be hidden is sometimes setting ablaze the everything until you find it." — Niv-Mizzet
2/3
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy really likes this card. Johnny can also probably do something with this, and it definitely reads strange enough, like he likes his cards to read. Spike probably sees this as just removal with a body attached, but that's always been good enough for her if the price (aka the mana value) is right.
Elegance 1/3 - With flavor text, this card is microtext (ten lines and three breaks in the MSE M15 frame). Without it, it would be fine. It's also quite complex and requires a pretty high amount of tracking, as it needs to check all damage dealt in a single turn and also how much excess damage the first ability deals, which is not something players are used to.
Development
Viability 2/3 - I see both blue and red here, so no problems with the colors, I'm just not sure the abilities are hybrid. In fact, after further consideration, the triggered ability at least is not hybrid for sure. Maybe the last ability, but the one right above it certainly not. I don't think either monoblue or monored would be able to do this by themselves. Monoblue certainly can't do the triggered ability by itself. At first I had been fooled by the "draw a card" at the end, but that's actually a direct damage ability, and blue can't deal direct damage, that's a break, not even a bend. That's the reason why Psionic Blast has become Char. As for monored, it would be much more likely to use impulsive draw or rummaging rather than just card drawing. So neither monoblue nor monored could do the triggered ability by themselves, thus hybrid here is wrong. The disguise cost should also have been traditional gold and not hybrid, just like the mana cost correctly is. Adjusting the score accordingly, though you still get to advance in fifth place. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - Playable in limited. In constructed, usually four mana for a 2/3 is on the weak side, but here it comes with a 5-damage built-in burn spell that can also draw you a card, and that might indeed be enough to make up for that. I can see Izzet decks trying this. The relatively high complexity, with the excess damage check plus tracking something unusual, might make this not the most fun card to play with to some more casually-oriented players, but other than that I don't see any other problems in casual, and none in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - From my article - "3: this is a card that does something never done before, not even on a single card." While I do remember cards caring about excess damage being dealt, I can't remember caring about the specific amount of excess damage. But what really pushes this to full points here is the last ability. I just can't remember anything existing working like that.
Flavor 2/3 - Flavor text unfortunately doesn't fit (see Elegance and Quality too), even if it's quite good. No problems with the name or the general flavor of this card.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - Not including reminder text for disguise was the right call, as this is a rare and MSE shows me there would be no room on the card. No deduction for that. Unfortunately, flavor text wouldn't fit either, but I've already taken care of that in Elegance and I'm not going to penalize you twice for the same mistake, so no deduction here for that as well, even though that doesn't mean microtext is allowed. A piece is missing in the excess damage sentence: "...excess damage is dealt this way, draw a card." (-0.5) Two problems in the flavor text: "the everything" should just be "everything" without the article (-0.5), and the attribution should be on its own line with no space after the em dash. (-0.5)
Subchallenges 2/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". No excess damage will be dealt as your opponent will turn the fish up in response, making it a 6/5, but 5 damage will succeed the fish-icide anyway, and that was all that was required.
TOTAL 19/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Oilseas, Callous Polluter
Legendary Creature — Octopus Demon (Mythic Rare)
Disguise
When Oilseas, Callous Polluter is turned face up during your main phase, destroy all Cephalid, Fish, Jellyfish, and Merfolk creatures.
Whenever Oilseas, Callous Polluter deals damage to a creature, you draw a card and Oilseas, Callous Polluter deals 1 damage to you and each other creature you control.
3/2
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy wants to play big sea creatures, not destroy them. Johnny and Spike both like this, especially for the last ability.
Elegance 2.5/3 - A bit wordy but otherwise fine.
Development
Balance 2/3 - This is not a Wrath. Merfolk are a bit more common than the rest, but there aren't a lot of creatures with those creature type, especially at the same time in any given Standard. What's very interesting instead, especially from a competitive point of view, is the repeatable card advantage that the last ability can give you, especially over the course of multiple turns. It comes at a rather big cost, but some control decks might want this. Not the best mythic for limited, but mythics aren't about limited, or at least limited should not be all about mythics. Damaging yourself might not be the most fun gameplay for casual players. No problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - From my article - "2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist." The new twist being the batching of different kinds of sea creatures.
Flavor 3/3 - No room for flavor text, so not including it here is actually correct, and both the name and the overall flavor of this card are very good.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - MSE shows me not including reminder text for disguise is the right call, as adding it turns the card into microtext, so no deduction for that. No other problems here.
Subchallenges 1.5/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". I'm not giving you the fish kill though. Yes, it's true that I said that your opponent will always turn it face up in response, but that player is not supposed to just be a dummy. All they have to do to avoid their fish dying is NOT turning it face up in response so that is stays "a mysterious creature" with no creature types, avoiding being killed by the first triggered ability. I guess this is a "spirit of the challenge" problem. Based on the conditions I gave you, that is your opponent always turning the fish face up in response to whatever, the letter would be met, so you'd get +0.5, but no reasonable real-life opponent would do that in a real game and that makes the assumption unrealistic, it would never happen in a real game, so I would also give you a -0.5 for breaking the spirit of the challenge, and those cancel out anyway. So you get points from Subchallenge 1 and the second mode of Subchallenge 2, but NOT from the "kill the fish" Subchallenge mode. Sorry.
TOTAL 21/25
shullz (reviewed)
Show
Hide
shullz wrote:
2 months ago
Spiteful Pacifist
Creature — Human Monk (Rare)
Defender
Disguise (You may cast this card face down for as a 2/2 creature with ward . Turn it face up any time for its disguise cost.)
When Spiteful Pacifist is turned face up, target creature deals damage to itself equal to its power.
Whenever Spiteful Pacifist is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to any target.
2/4
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I don't think Timmy cares too much. Johnny has tricks to do with damage redirection here. Spike probably sees this as just removal with a body attached to it, but often that's just good enough to her.
Elegance 2.5/3 - A lot of abilities that are each very easy to understand if taken by themselves, but might require a little bit of focus when put all together.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with rarity or the rules. For a card to have a hybrid cost, both monocolors have to be able to do everything by themselves. Monowhite can do all of this by itself, that's for sure. The problem is the last ability in monored. Damage redirection feels way more white than red. This is probably printable with that being an acceptable bend, but it's still a bend. After further research, it turns out that actually the problem would be more monowhite than monored. First, it's definitely acceptable in Boros hybrid as Spitemare exists. Monored has cards like Mogg Maniac, Brash Taunter, Blazing Sunsteel, and Ill-Tempered Loner // Howlpack Avenger. Monowhite usually pairs this kind of effect with damage prevention, preventing some amount of damage and then dealing that much damage to something else. Examples of this are: Comeuppance, Divine Deflection, Vengeful Archon, and Phyrexian Vindicator. I've also considered Harm's Way, which works a little differently but it's almost identical in functionality: instead of preventing damage and then dealing the same amount of damage, it uses a replacement effect to replace the damage event, which achieves the same result as damage prevention as the damage event never actually happens, and that's the point. That's not what's going on here in the third ability. The damage event does happen and then another damage event happens because of the first one. That's actually the way monored does this, as shown in the examples above. So the same reasoning from my original judgment applies, only with reversed colors. It is indeed an acceptable bend, but for white, not for red. The net result is no score change here, but a more detailed explanation, which I guess never hurts.
Balance 2/3 - The last ability is the core of this card. You want to block with this. This is made for blocking: high toughness, defender, a way to deal damage anyway and discouraging attacks... All of this is good but it usually has a problems: it slows down games rather than pushing them towards their conclusion. This is the kind of cards that some players do enjoy but are best delivered in small doses. In limited you will play it a lot of times just as removal thanks to the third ability, but in constructed it doesn't really play the way that white-red cards usually do, which could be at the same time a good and bad thing. It distinguishes itself from the mass but it might be hard to find a home for, and that will usually be a combo deck anyway. The unusual play style might turn some Boros casual players away. No problems in multiplayer, on the contrary, the choice of target for the last ability looks more interesting there than in traditional duel, where you will just choose your single opponent and that's it.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - From my article - "1.5: this is a card that does something we've already seen but without big innovations." We've seen cards that have a creature deal damage to itself. We've seen Stuffy Doll. We've just never seen them together, but I don't feel like that's enough to qualify as a "new twist".
Flavor 2/3 - No real room for flavor text according to MSE, so no problems there. No problems with the name in a vacuum either, I just don't think it fits the mechanics particularly well: this Monk deals a bit too much damage to feel like a pacifist to me... but maybe it's just me.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - The name should be bolded, and that's a very-known requirement, so -1 for that. You can still make a link bolded, the forum software allows that just fine, and in fact I've even done that in my signature, so I know for sure that's supported. Also, renders are nice to look at but they're ignored when judging a card in the MCC.
Subchallenges 2/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". It kills the fish out of combat by having it deal damage at least equal to its power to itself, which is definitely enough to do it even if it's turned face up in response: mark either 2 damage on the 2/2 face-down fish or 6 on the 6/5 face-up fish and then just let SBAs do their job. Always remember: it's not damage that kills a creature. It's SBAs.
TOTAL 18.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
2 months ago
Undercity Huntmaster 2G
Creature — Elf Ranger (R)
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, cloak the top card of your library. (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature with ward 2. Turn it up at any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
At the beginning of your end step, you may pay 2. When you do, each face-down creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature.
2/4
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes the last ability. Johnny can definitely find things to do with this one. Spike immediately thinks about pairing this with fetchlands in older formats.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Balance 3/3 - Certainly playable in limited. I won't be surprised to see monogreen decks trying this as removal in constructed, especially if they have some way to play multiple lands a turn, like green decks tend to have. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - From my article - "2: this is a card that does something we've already seen but in a new way or with a new twist." Landfall and biting are nothing new. The new twist here is calling out specifically and only your face-down creatures to bite.
Flavor 3/3 - No room for flavor text, so not including it is correct. Name and general flavor are definitely more than good enough.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - In the reminder text, "Turn it up" is missing the word "face", which ironically was one of the requirements in Subchallenge 2, even though it wouldn't have counted because it's reminder text. -0.5 for typo.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Has cloak but not disguise. Good.
Subchallenges 1.5/2 - 2-3-4 is there. It has "face" and "damage". I'm NOT giving you the "kill the fish" one though, as your creature can only kill the fish conditionally, specifically you only kill the fish if you have at least three face-down creatures, dealing a total of 6 damage to the fish, which your opponent has turned face up in response. It's a 6/5 now, so three 2/2 face-down creatures are needed to kill it, and under ordinary conditions, this card only gives you one from the landfall ability. Not even a fetchland would be enough, as it would give you only two landfall triggers for two face-down creatures. The only way a single face-down creature could do it by itself is if Tezzeret is involved, and that's really just a corner case. So no fish-icide, I'm sorry.
TOTAL 23/25
Results after review (bold advance)
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias: 23
Subject16: 23
marioguy3: 21
haywire: 20.5
Komandon: 19

shullz: 18.5
KB52665: 16.5
Henlock: 16

A reminder to everybody:

Judgments are only final in the moment of the judging deadline.

Both I and my co-judge have been able to make a whole day in advance, which is HUGE!

First, thank you so much, @Ink-Treader! We've done it! It really felt like what we were doing with Ryder on January, and that's perfect! Again, amazing job, Ink-Treader! Now let's do it just three more times! :)

Second, it allows more than enough time before the judging deadline for players to ask for clarifications while it matters! That is, while they can actually have some effect on the scores if they manage to convince us to adjust them, which we should absolutely be open to do until the judging deadline. We're not used to this, but this is the way things should be!

Everyone, please remember to write your eventual feedback to your judge via pm if it involves any third parties. Otherwise, you can just post it in the discussion thread and that's fine.

Round 2 will only be posted after the judging deadline, when judgments are final.

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”