New Challenge Every Day - February 18th: Golem, Juggernaut, or Construct from Ravnica. Alara, or Tarkir

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 months ago

Today's Challenge: Golem, Juggernaut, or Construct from Ravnica. Alara, or Tarkir

.::To Enter::.
In a single post:
  • Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)
  • Make a card that fits the current challenge.
  • Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.
Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points. In case of a further tie, the IIW of the earlier poster will be used.

.::Scoring::.
shullz 43 (+3)
Ink-Treader 38 (+3)
netn10 37 (+2)
Rithaniel 35 (+3)
OneAndOnly 31 (+0)
Caspernicus 29 (+2)
void_nothing 28 (+1)
Komandon 24
AnotherAlias 18
KB52665 17 (+0)
somedue1019 13
YoTed 12 (+4)
TessaMTG 7
LandellXil0cent 6
.::Note of the Day::.

Since this thread is going up late, the round will be a bit shortened and tomorrow's thread will be posted earlier than this.

.::Yesterday's Submissions::.

Battle with a land on the back
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: YoTed, Caspernicus
Battle for Fern Valley -- 3G
Battle - Foray
(As a Foray enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, exile it. You may then put it into play transformed, or add mana equal to its pillage value. That mana doesn't empty as steps and phases end.)
When Battle for Fern Valley enters the battlefield, you may reveal any number of cards in your hand. Add one mana for each color amongst cards revealed this way.
{4}
/////
Fern Valley
Land
Pillage WUBRG
T: Add one mana of any color of a permanent you control.

Next: Old television shows as Magic cards
Caspernicus wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Ink-Treader, YoTed

Raid of Lambholt 1b
Battle — Ambush (U)
(You protect this Ambush. Your opponents may attack it. When it's defeated, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed under the control of the player whose turn it is. You may cast an Ambush at any time you could cast an instant.)
Destroy target creature with power 3 or less. It becomes night.
/////
Fields of Lambholt
Land
: Add . Activate only if it's day.
, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Add and gain 1 life. Activate only if it's night.
Pasture by day, hunting grounds by night.

IIW: Cards with alternative non-mana costs
netn10 wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

Kaer Morhen Defend Itself 2WW
Enchantment Battle - Saga War (Mythic)
(You defend your Wars. As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. If it's defeated, exile it, then put it onto the battlefield under your control transformed to the bad ending.)
Each opponent must attack Kaer Morhen Defend Itself each turn if able.
I — Create three 1/1 white Witcher creature tokens with prowess and ward 1.
II — For each Witcher creature you control, destroy up to one target creature with power 3 or greater.
III — Exile this Saga, then cast it transformed to the good ending.
{3}
///
Ruins of Kaer Morhen
(Bad Ending) Land (Mythic)
T: Add C.
T: You draw a card for each opponent you have and each opponent draws a card.
///
Kaer Morhen Have Prevailed
(Good Ending) (W) Sorcery (Mythic)
Put a +1/+1 counter, an indestructible counter and an hexproof counter on each Witcher creature you control.

IIW: Saga creature/battle/artifact/land
shullz wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Ink-Treader, Rithaniel

Attack on the Fomori Fortress GUU
Battle — Conquest (Rare)
(As a Conquest enters, choose a player to protect it. Other players can attack it. When a player defeats it, exile it, then put it onto the battlefield transformed under that player's control.)
Creature spells of the player who protects this battle cost less to cast.
Following the flow of mana, the planeswalkers descended onto the island to face the barbaric giants protecting it.

//

Turri Island
Legendary Land — Island (R)
Turri Island enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add UU.
{2/G}{2/U}, : Look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.
Victorious at last, the planeswalkers ascended the keep of the ancient fortress to claim their mana haven.

IIW: A spell without cost (not )
YoTed wrote:
3 months ago
Vote: Shullz, netn10.

IIW: Trap cards.
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 months ago
Vote: YoTed, Rithaniel

Scavenging of Maravale Fen BB
Battle (U)
(You protect this.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove two defense counters from Scavenging of Maravale Fen, then return target creature or artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
When the last defense counters is removed from this, transform it.
//
Bloodstained Fen
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add B.
Picked clean of corpses and arms, but the blood spilled in the Maravale Fen never washed away.

IIW: Cost reduction that isn't mana
Rithaniel wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: shullz, YoTed (though I don't know if that's too much energy to be giving)

Aspiration of Nonten
Battle - Turning Point R
(You protect Turning Points you control. Put a defense counter on this during your upkeep.)
Tip 6 (When this battle has six or more defense counters on it, transform it.)
Whenever one or more defense counters are removed from Aspiration of Nonten, you gain that much life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
//////////
Nonten's Grand Garden
Land R
: Add .
: Create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
, : Plants you control gain hexproof and have base power and toughness 4/4 until end of turn.

IIW: A card with a mana cost that has never appeared on any card.
KB52665 wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Shullz, netn10

The Battle at Argoth uuuu
Legendary Battle — Duel (M)
(When you cast a Duel, designate an opponent as your foe and you become theirs. They create a double-faced token that's a copy of this card on either side. When either is defeated, exile it and transform the other.)
Whenever a player attacks your foe or a permanent they control, that player creates a 0/0 colorless Construct artifact creature token with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control." It's goaded for the rest of the game.
At the end of combat on your turn, if you have more life than your foe, draw a card.
////
Fyndhorn, Beneath the Ice
Legendary Land
When Fyndhorn transforms, exile all nonland permanents that aren't legendary.
, Tap an untapped legendary permanent you control: Add ccc.

IIW: Revamp a Portal 3 Kingdoms legend or an Arabian Nights "legend" that hasn't seen a new card (ie. Stangg from Legends in Dominaria United).
void_nothing wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Caspernicus, Ink-Treader

Xander's Lost Deed 2B
Battle - Eviction (R)
(This battle can't be attacked, but players may discard a financing card, sacrifice a financing permanent, or pay 2 and exile a financing card from their graveyard to deal 2 damage to this battle. When it's defeated, return it to the battlefield transformed under your control.)
When Xander's Lost Deed enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. Choose a nonland permanent card there. That player discards that card.
///
Shadow Hostel Passageway
Land (R)
T: Add UB or BR.
3UBR, T: Return target permanent card from an opponent's graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. Activate only as a sorcery.

Citizens, Treasures, and lands are financing.

IIW: Archers
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10, KB52665
City Sweeper - 2(R/g)(r/g)RG
Artifact Creature - Juggernaut Vehicle
City Sweeper atacks each turn if able.
Whenever City Sweeper attacks, if it wasn't crewed this turn, destroy target non-creature artifact.
Whenever City Sweeper becomes blocked by a Vehicle, if it was crewed this turn, destroy that Vehicle.
Crew 2
5/6

Note: Yes, it's both an artifact creature (all the time) and a Vehicle. This just means that you can choose to crew it or not. It has different effects it it attacks while bring crewed, as opposed to attacking uncrewed.

Next Magic-powered household objects
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

YoTed
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by YoTed » 3 months ago

Vote: netn10, void_nothing

IIW: Insect tribal.

shullz

Post by shullz » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10, Rithaniel
@netn10: At first I wasn't sure about the 3 sided card, but with the two endings not having a lot of text on them. I can really see the Kamigawa flip design coming back for the backside of Wars.

IIW: Battles that are not protected by a player.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 months ago

Votes: void_nothing, shullz
Comments
Show
Hide
I LOVE every single battle from yesterday. Every single one. Good job, you made me realize just how much design space exist in this card type!
@shullz I glad you like it :) Also 3 sided cards exist in other games, maybe Magic can be next.
Ethernium Behemoth RGW
Artifact Creature - Construct Beast (Rare)
Creatures spells you cast with power 5 or more and artifact spells you cast cost WUB less to cast. This effect also reduces the amount of generic mana you pay but no less than one mana.
WUB: Exile Ethernium Behemoth from the battlefield or from your graveyard, then return it to the battlefield tapped under your control.
5/5

IIW: Blink effect

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 3 months ago

Votes: Caspernicus (Should read "When ~ enters the battlefield,"), netn10

Effigy of Enlightenment 3
Artifact Creature — Golem (U)
Prowess
Trample
Effigy of Enlightenment can't attack unless its power is 6 or greater.
3/3

IIW: Revamp a Portal 3 Kingdoms legend or an Arabian Nights "legend" that hasn't seen a new card (ie. Stangg from Legends in Dominaria United).

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 months ago

Vote: netn10, void_nothing

Guardian of Arashin 2{G/W}{G/W}
Artifact Creature - Golem (U)
Vigilance
When Guardian of Arashin enters the battlefield, bolster 2. Then, if you have less life than another player, bolster 2.
2/5

IIW: Cost reduction that isn't mana

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10, Ink-Treader

Mouldering Gold Keeper
Artifact - Golem U
Delve (Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for .)
When Mouldering Gold Keeper, if was spent to cast it, put a lifelink counter on it.
When Mouldering Gold Keeper, if was spent to cast it, put a trample counter on it.
When Mouldering Gold Keeper, if was spent to cast it, draw a card.
3/3

IIW: Legendary Turtle, Frog, or Slug
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, KB52665

Horde Battlewagon 1RW
Artifact Creature - Juggernaut (R)
Trample, vigilance
Effects always treat you as though you've attacked with a creature this turn (even on opponents' turns).
B, Pay 2 life, Sacrifice another artifact or creature: Horde Battlewagon gets +2/+3 until end of turn.
3/2

IIW: What if an existing legendary creature became a vampire?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 3 months ago

Votes: shullz, KB52665

Insurgent's Dragonoid 5
Artifact Creature — Dragon Juggernaut (U)
Flying, protection from Dragons
Insurgent's Dragonoid attacks each combat if able.
: Insurgent's Dragonoid gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
In the absence of trust from the living dragonlords, the outcasts of Tarkir made their own gods.
4/4

IIW: A card that has or grants flanking, rampage or wither.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”