NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 4 months ago

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Compton's Cookoff 2GU
Enchantment - Saga
Whenever one or more lore counters are placed on this saga, create that many food tokens and that many 0/1 white goat creature tokens.
Non-goat creatures can't attack as long as you control a goat.
| - Grulovian Drowned Egg - Tap target creature and put a stun counter on it.
|| - Strawberry Jam Croque Madame - Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control
||| - Lumberstack - Create a 1/1 green insect creature token with flying and deathtouch, then create a number of those tokens equal to the number of goats you control.

IIW: Mechanics from MKM

I'm at a loss, since I don't understand the referents. I know a lot of dinners (in America, at least) have a Lumberjack Breakfast, which is usually lots of pancakes, waffles, or French toast; your choice of sausage or bacon; eggs however you prefer; and coffee by the bucketful. Not a lot of sweets, other than maple syrup.

I don't mind the "thing does X when it does what it naturally does, " but I wonder about the utility of it - is it any different than "When X enters, and at the beginning of your upkeep..."? Partly because i feel Magic has taken a turn lately with rules-within-rules, which makes understanding the game more difficult for better players.

Stun counters sounds very much like a heavy, starch- laden breakfast. Insects make me worry about your diet. :P

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
4 months ago
Orgg Lumberjack
4{B}{R}
Creature - Orgg Warrior (U)
Haste
Whenever Orgg Lumberjack attacks, you may sacrifice it. If you do, destroy target Forest or nonbasic land.
5/5
They had to stop using orggs because too many of them were killed by the tree falling on them.

IIW: Lizard
A callback (?) to Orcish Lumberjack? I'd think making it some version of a saboteur ability (ie, when it deals combat damage) would be sufficient. Early saboteur abilities traded combat damage for an effect, so maybe that's appropriate here. Also, wouldn't B/R be biased against white? I could see changing the ability to "Destroy target Forest or Plains" and it would still be fine.

Ulka wrote:
4 months ago
Lumberjack Fantasies {R/G}
Kindred Instant - Lumberjack
Until end of turn target creature gain "T, Sacrifice a Forest: Add three mana in any combination of R and/or G." and becomes a Lumberjack in addition to its other types.
"Jhoira often seems to be daydreaming during classes on natural magics. I wonder what she is dreaming about. —Barrin, progress report

IIW: Not so Dramatic Returns
Thank you for changing this to Kindred. Still think it's a flawed lmplementation by Wizards. Nice shout-out to the aforementiondd Orcish Lumberjack. R/G Ritual for "Tap a creature, sac a land" seems a little weak. I'd consider making it an Aura and adding a P/T buff.

Or, y'know, make it a chainsaw. Inb4 UB: Friday the 13th...

spacemonaut wrote:
4 months ago
Garenbrig Woodsman 2RG
Creature — Human Ranger (R)
Protection from wolves
Whenever Garenbrig Woodsman deals combat damage to a permanent or player, add that much mana in any combination of and/or . Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
: Garenbrig Woodsman gains first strike until end of turn.
3/3

IIW: A faction overlap with Fungus or Skeletons, like Xavier Sal, Infested Captain
.....whaddaya think this is, the MCC? This is a perfectly reasonable card, appropriate mana cost, nice shout out in the ability (does remind me of Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion or Sakiko, Mother of Summer, though, so -0.5 points for that). The protection ability is a little trinkety, as is the first strike, but it might make a difference in Limited.

I love it so much I hate it!

But, I have to give mad props to Sporegorger_Dragon for their cleave card last time; I'm STILL laughing at that one, that's how good and goofy it is. If any card gets remembered in 2100, it's that card. So while I wasn't too sold on the Orgg...

....nope, can't do it. Garenbrig Woodsman it is. Great card, spacemonaut!

Next Round: A faction (kindred?) overlap with Fungi or Skeletii.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 months ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
4 months ago
I'm at a loss, since I don't understand the referents. I know a lot of dinners (in America, at least) have a Lumberjack Breakfast, which is usually lots of pancakes, waffles, or French toast; your choice of sausage or bacon; eggs however you prefer; and coffee by the bucketful. Not a lot of sweets, other than maple syrup.

I don't mind the "thing does X when it does what it naturally does, " but I wonder about the utility of it - is it any different than "When X enters, and at the beginning of your upkeep..."? Partly because i feel Magic has taken a turn lately with rules-within-rules, which makes understanding the game more difficult for better players.

Stun counters sounds very much like a heavy, starch- laden breakfast. Insects make me worry about your diet. :P
I mean, I included the link to the page so you could understand better, but it's a mental world from Psychonauts 2, styled after a cooking competition. I didn't want to include the goat and food tokens on each chapter ability, since I felt like that would bog the card down too much with text, so I put it as a static ability. The final dish gives insects because a potential warning about the final dish is that it can become a stack of bees if improperly cooked, mostly because of the self judgement of the person who's mental world is there.

chetoos

Relic of the Mycotyrant 2GB
Creature - Fungus Skeleton
Whenever another nontoken fungus enters the battlefield under your control, you may return target creature card from your graveyard with mana value less than or equal to the number of fungus you control to the battlefield with a finality counter on it. It's a skeleton in addition to its other types.
Whenever another skeleton etbs, create a 1/1 black and green fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
3/3

Last edited by chetoos 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 4 months ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
4 months ago
A faction (kindred?) overlap with Fungi or Skeletii.
When referring to the synergy between creature based on their types, it is called typal, as in "Goblins typal deck", or the "ub Limited archetype is Zombie typal."

When referring to the now defunct card type formerly known as tribal, the new term is kindred.

Decomposing Stump
2{B}{G}
Creature - Zombie Treefolk (U)
When Decomposing Stump enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token and a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
Each other creature you control that is a Fungus, Plant, or Saproling gets +1/+1.
Descend 8 -As long as there are eight or more permanent cards in your graveyard, each of those creatures gets an additional +1/+1.
2/2
The decaying wood sustains a lush reef of verdant life that puppeteers the dead snag.

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

OneAndOnly

Gah, no one uses "typal." Not even WotC. It's a rocket that failed to launch.

Frankly, I tend to conflate them, because "kindred" is, by its very nature, a "typal" mechanic.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 months ago

The intention of this prompt is a faction overlap. Boros has an established Soldier faction, what if there were a Fungus and/or Skeleton Boros soldier? (Their individual color identity might change.) Kaldheim has an established Elf faction, what if one of them got blasted to the realm of Skeletonization and came back? Xavier Sal is a captain who became fungus but remained a pirate. There's zombies, demons, other well established factions on various planes.

Kindred is a good new type name, and typal was shared as useful internal terminology with advantageous in circumstances like "equipment typal" while doubling at enabling us to retire tribal as a term, but the prompt isn't inherently about either of those things.

Take a faction you like and heck up a member of it a lil bit and show me what that looks like. Other skeleton and/or fungus cards will also be accepted because I don't want you to have to worry if it's faction-y enough.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Shroomnose Snubhorn
2{B}{G}
Creature - Fungus Dinosaur (U)
Whenever Shroomnose Snubhorn or another nontoken Dinosaur you control dies, create a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
Descend 4 -If there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard, create two of those tokens instead.
4/3

OneAndOnly

Moldy Bones -- 1BB
Creature - Skeleton Fungus Wizard {U}
1BB, T: Exile target creature card in a graveyard. Create a token copy of Moldy Bones. If that creature card was black, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
3/2

If I Win: "Choose a teammate. That player wins the game."

chetoos

Sidisi, vizier of spores 2BGU
Legendary Creature - Zombie Fungus Snake (Naga is a defunct creature type.)
Whenever a Sidisi attacks or enters the battlefield, mill 3 cards.
Whenever a creature card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, create a 1/1 black and green fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
Sacrifice X fungus: return target creature card with mana value X from your graveyard to the battlefield. Put a finality counter on it. X can't be 0.
Without Silumgar's protective magics, spores in the court's undead servants grew into a terrifying new collective.
2/6

chetoos

@spacemonaut judge!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

judging now!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Relic of the Mycotyrant 2GB
Creature - Fungus Skeleton
Whenever another nontoken fungus enters the battlefield under your control, you may return target creature card from your graveyard with mana value less than or equal to the number of fungus you control to the battlefield with a finality counter on it. It's a skeleton in addition to its other types.
Whenever another skeleton etbs, create a 1/1 black and green fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
3/3

There's a lot of things going on here that make this feel a little over-elaborate. Granted, I am a little sleep deprived and worn out today, but I will be a little bit worn out a lot of the nights I play Magic. A logical flow of this card is when I get a fungus → I search my graveyard and get something back → it's finalised → it's a skeleton → i get a fungus, but not a fungus that will trigger the previous thing that got me the skeleton. But if the thing I recurred was also a fungus, I do this again. That's a lot! It also has a lot of potential to empty my graveyard every time I cast a fungus if I'm playing any fungus tribal, albeit with finality counters. This might be a card that wants me playing funguses and skeletons, but really it just wants me playing funguses and fungus skeletons.
4 months ago
Decomposing Stump
2{B}{G}
Creature - Zombie Treefolk (U)
When Decomposing Stump enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token and a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
Each other creature you control that is a Fungus, Plant, or Saproling gets +1/+1.
Descend 8 -As long as there are eight or more permanent cards in your graveyard, each of those creatures gets an additional +1/+1.
2/2
The decaying wood sustains a lush reef of verdant life that puppeteers the dead snag.

You got in by the skin of your teeth there with the Fungus token. I really like this twist on a decomposing, undead Treefolk having a sort of ... malignant but definitely life-cycle-thriving-y effect on its surroundings. Nice choice of phrasing on the anthem and descend ability.
4 months ago
Shroomnose Snubhorn
2{B}{G}
Creature - Fungus Dinosaur (U)
Whenever Shroomnose Snubhorn or another nontoken Dinosaur you control dies, create a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
Descend 4 -If there are four or more permanent cards in your graveyard, create two of those tokens instead.
4/3

That's an adorable name for a fungus dino. Really nicely designed uncommon and a very clear draft signpost.
OneAndOnly wrote:
4 months ago
Moldy Bones -- 1BB
Creature - Skeleton Fungus Wizard {U}
1BB, T: Exile target creature card in a graveyard. Create a token copy of Moldy Bones. If that creature card was black, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
3/2

If I Win: "Choose a teammate. That player wins the game."
That's cute as hell. What a great spore wizard. I'd play it.
chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Sidisi, vizier of spores 2BGU
Legendary Creature - Zombie Fungus Snake (Naga is a defunct creature type.)
Whenever a Sidisi attacks or enters the battlefield, mill 3 cards.
Whenever a creature card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, create a 1/1 black and green fungus creature token with "This creature can't block."
Sacrifice X fungus: return target creature card with mana value X from your graveyard to the battlefield. Put a finality counter on it. X can't be 0.
Without Silumgar's protective magics, spores in the court's undead servants grew into a terrifying new collective.
2/6

(Hooray for finally getting the Naga → Snake errata!! Oddly it's still not on Gatherer, maybe they're waiting for MKM's release to drop those changes for Paper, but whatever that's not any kind of sticking point here.)

Picking out Sidisi for a Fungus spin is a great call, and this is a great callback to the great original timeline version of her. I like the flow of these abilities, this works really well and is pretty clean, and gives us a steady supply of funguses to work with for reanimation. This also benefits fungus tribal (whenever you sac actual fungus creatures, you get tokens back, sorta maybe getting two-for-one that way) but in a way that would feel just fine without playing fungus tribal, which is a nice surprise.

HM: Shroomnose Snubhorn
Winner: @OneAndOnly for Moldy Bones

Next: "Choose a teammate. That player wins the game."

chetoos

Door to Everything 5
Artifact
Door to everything enters the battlefield tapped.
wwuubbrrgg, : Choose a teammate, that player wins the game. You and up to one teammate may pay for this cost together.
As long as Door to Everything is untapped, creatures your team control get +1/+1 and have vigilance, first strike, and trample
The doorway into the hall of fame in Kylem is called the Door to Everything, since that's everything those competing want.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Battlewise Veteran 2RW
Creature — Minotaur Warrior (MR)
Ward
Whenever your team attacks, up to one target attacking creature gains double strike until end of turn.
Whenever a creature your team controls deals first strike damage to an opponent, put a proudness counter on Battlewise Veteran.
, Remove ten proudness counters from Battlewise Veteran: Choose a teammate. That player wins the game. Activate only as a sorcery.
4/3

IIW: Nonblack Demons, Horrors, & Nightmares

OneAndOnly

Looking for a few more submissions. Come and get your fresh submissions here!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

i'm just gonna do a riff on team stuff while we're at it

Crackling Helix 1RW
Instant (U)
Lightning Coil deals 2 damage to any target and you gain 2 life.
Team spell (When you cast this spell, each other player on your team copies it. They may choose new targets for the copies.)

chetoos

Azra Fixer 2br
Creature - Azra Rogue
Ward - Discard a creature card.
Whenever a creature card is put into your opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it with a Fix counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if the total mana value of cards your opponents own in exile with fix counters is 30 or more, choose a teammate. That player wins the game.
"I can get you to the top, but you've gotta work for it, so it doesn't look suspicious."
3/3

IIW: What's a mechanic you want to see in a return to Llorwyn?

OneAndOnly

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Door to Everything 5
Artifact
Door to everything enters the battlefield tapped.
wwuubbrrgg, : Choose a teammate, that player wins the game. You and up to one teammate may pay for this cost together.
As long as Door to Everything is untapped, creatures your team control get +1/+1 and have vigilance, first strike, and trample
The doorway into the hall of fame in Kylem is called the Door to Everything, since that's everything those competing want.

Nice riff on another famous Door -- and I'm not talking about Jim Morrison. (Or Ray Manzarek.) It's also a cute mini-Akroma's Memorial (or Eldrazi Monument).

While "creatures your team control" is Oracle legit, I find I prefer the slightly wordier "creatures controlled by a player on your team." -- the English major objects to what seems a pronouncement of communal control over a singular object. It's similar to the change from "your creatures" to "creatures you control" (which distinguishes them from creatures you own).

"Assist" for ability costs isn't quite covered in the manual, but it's easy to understand. Ten mana across two players doesn't seem that difficult a reach, however, so perhaps increasing the cost (three mana of each color?) or creating some other hoop to jump through would be a good idea. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of DtN because it often reads as "Much mana: Win the game," which goes against the point of playing a game ... clever interaction!

spacemonaut wrote:
4 months ago
Battlewise Veteran 2RW
Creature — Minotaur Warrior (MR)
Ward
Whenever your team attacks, up to one target attacking creature gains double strike until end of turn.
Whenever a creature your team controls deals first strike damage to an opponent, put a proudness counter on Battlewise Veteran.
, Remove ten proudness counters from Battlewise Veteran: Choose a teammate. That player wins the game. Activate only as a sorcery.
4/3

IIW: Nonblack Demons, Horrors, & Nightmares
"First strike damage" doesn't show up in Oracle, but I know what you mean. Other players might not, though, given that the creature is dealing double strike damage! It's probably a good idea the Veteran doesn't have first strike or double strike itself.

I would change "proudness" to "pride" tokens-- that just reads better in English. Ten creatures with first strike dealing damage to opponents does seem a little low bar (especially because you could deal damage nine times to one player, then only once to a second, and still win the game). Tha tbeing said, it would be interesting to see what would happen if the tokens shared a type with some other kind -- oddly, experience counters come to mind -- though it would mean limiting gaining a counter to once a combat.

spacemonaut wrote:
4 months ago
i'm just gonna do a riff on team stuff while we're at it

Crackling Helix 1RW
Instant (U)
Lightning Coil deals 2 damage to any target and you gain 2 life.
Team spell (When you cast this spell, each other player on your team copies it. They may choose new targets for the copies.)

I think Team Spells might need to cost more, given that (depending on the format) it automatically creates two or three additional copies at no cost. I could see this being assist + "Each player that assisted this spell may copy it."

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Azra Fixer 2br
Creature - Azra Rogue
Ward - Discard a creature card.
Whenever a creature card is put into your opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it with a Fix counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if the total mana value of cards your opponents own in exile with fix counters is 30 or more, choose a teammate. That player wins the game.
"I can get you to the top, but you've gotta work for it, so it doesn't look suspicious."
3/3

IIW: What's a mechanic you want to see in a return to Llorwyn?
30 mv of creatures is an interesting benchmark -- assuming an average MV of 3, that's ten cards ... but it overlooks any land, enchantments, and so on. It gets a little cheaty with heavy mill (Traumatize alone might win the game) or red burn-to-a-crisp spells.

Of the cards submitted, though, this feels like it has the least reason to invoke the Team.

The member of my team who wins is -- spacemonaut, with Battlewise Veteran!

Next:: Nonblack Demons, Horrors, & Nightmares

chetoos

Barlus, Son of Lurrus WW
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Cat
As an additional cost to cast Barlus, sacrifice a nontoken permanent with mana value 2 or less, or pay
Lifelink
When Barlus enters the battlefield, exile target permanent card from your graveyard with mana value less than or equal to Barlus's power. When Barlus leaves the battlefield, put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control.
2/2

IIW: Mechanics you'd like to see in a return to llorwyn

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Alternate prompt: Nonwhite angels & Esper hydras

chetoos

Traxa, new hire 3bg
Legendary creature - angel citizen
Flying, deathtouch
Whenever you sacrifice a nontoken creature with haste you own, you may pay 2 at the beginning of your next upkeep. If you do, exile that card from your graveyard and create a token of that's a copy of that creature. It gains haste, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step
Blitz 2bg
"Does the new girl look familiar?"
"Never seen her before." - ognis and ziatora

4/5

False Hydra Xwub
Creature - Hydra horror
Ward - pay for each card exiled with False Hydra
When you cast False Hydra, choose up to X target creature and/or planeswalker cards from opponent's graveyards. Exile those cards as False Hydra enters the battlefield.
If a creature or Planeswalker an opponent controls would die, exile it instead.
False Hydra gets +1/+1 for each card exiled with it and has all activated abilities of cards exiled with it
0/0

Iiw: "its mutate cost is ..."
Last edited by chetoos 4 months ago, edited 5 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Dreamdozing Mola
2{U}
Creature - Nightmare Fish (C)
When Dreamdozing Mola enters the battlefield, choose one-
-Target player mills two cards.
-Target player shuffles up to two target cards from their graveyard into their library.
2/3

IIW: Common creatures

OneAndOnly

Technicolor Bleurrghh -- 1UUUU
Creature - Horror {R}
Protection from colors it is not
At the beginning of your upkeep, each creature becomes a random color or combination of colors. (There are 25 different combinations. Randomize appropriately.)
At the end of your turn, tap each creature that shares a color with Technicolor Bleurrghh.
4/7

If I Win: Bandage variants

chetoos

OneAndOnly wrote:
4 months ago
Technicolor Bleurrghh -- 1UUUU
Creature - Horror {R}
Protection from colors it is not
At the beginning of your upkeep, each creature becomes a random color or combination of colors. (There are 25 different combinations. Randomize appropriately.)
At the end of your turn, tap each creature that shares a color with Technicolor Bleurrghh.
4/7

If I Win: Bandage variants
If you count no colors as a combination, there are 32 different combinations.
@spacemonaut judge?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

I'll be judging in the morning, wanted to give this one a little time and it's definitely had it o/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”