Locked Previous topicNext topic
Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 4 months ago

CCL January Round 3

"Crossfire"

Double Negative, illustrated by Paolo Parente
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Top 6 players from rounds 1-2 can participate in this round.

Theme

This is Planar month of CCL. This month, we'll focus on unexplored parts of Dominia aka known (or less known) multiverse.

Challenge
Design a modal DFC card with two non-tribal spells of the same type on two card faces belonging to two different planes.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You may check MtG wiki to read about modal DFC cards.
  • Available spell types are artifact, creature, planeswalker, enchantment, battle, instant and sorcery. (Lands aren't spells.)
  • One spell per card face, 2 total.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
This round is for top 6 players from rounds 1-2. Your submissions are due Thursday, January 25th, 23:59 EST.
Players
@AnotherAlias
@MonoRedMage
@Ink-Treader
@void_nothing
@slimytrout
@Yan_MTG

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 3 - 9)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 10 - 16)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 18)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (January 19 - 24)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due January 30)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 31-February 04)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 07)
  • Final (February 08-12, winner determined by public poll February 13-19)
Last edited by Raptorchan 3 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 months ago

Urban Explorer GW
Creature - Human Scout (R)
Nonbasic lands your opponents control enter the battlefield with an additional stun counter on them.
Whenever Urban Explorer attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each nonbasic land defending player controls.
"I can see more buildings standing in one spot than traversing all of Zendikar!'"
2/2
///
Wild Adventurer RG
Creature - Elf Scout (R)
Whenever you tap a basic land that entered the battlefield this turn for mana, add one mana of any type it could produce.
Whenever Wild Adventurer attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each basic land you control.
"Not even Gruul turf is this untamed!"
2/2

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 4 months ago

Mij'Nuh, Damned
Legendary Creature — Demon (M)
Menace
At the beginning of your end step, if you descended this turn, you lose 1 life and draw a card. Then, if your life total is less than or equal to half your starting life total, you may pay . If you do, transform Mij'Nuh, Damned.
Mij'Nuh seeked many years for a path out of his eternal damnation in the Abyss. Finally, he found his salvation, although perhaps he would of had more luck staying in the Abyss.
3/4

//

Dihada, Masterful Manipulator
Legendary Creature — Demon Warlock (M)
Vigilance, lifelink
When this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Dihada, Masterful Manipulator, choose a nonland permanent type. Each opponent chooses a permanent of that type they control. You gain control of that permanent. Repeat this process two more times.
Dihada, seeing Mij'Nuh's potential, traveled down into the Abyss and liberated him, putting Mij'Nuh into her eternal debt.
6/6
Last edited by AnotherAlias 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 months ago

I think folks are maybe mistaking what is meant by "type" in this challenge? Both of the above entries fit the challenge because they're creatures on both faces, but I believe they don't need to share creature types if you don't want them to.

Rakdos Raid 2{b/r}
Battle — Skirmish (U)
(As a Skirmish enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, return it to your hand.)
When Rakdos Raid enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 red Devil creature tokens with "When this creature dies, it deals 1 damage to any target."
{3]
///
Kolaghan Counterattack 2BR
Battle — Skirmish (U)
(As a Skirmish enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, return it to your hand.)
When Kolaghan Counterattack enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to all creatures. Whenever a creature dealt damage this way dies this turn, you may pay 1 life. If you do, draw a card.
{4}

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Skyclave Recharger 1GW
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Flash
When Skyclave Recharger enters the battlefield, attach it to target creature you control.
If equipped creature would be dealt damage during your turn, instead prevent that damage and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Equip 3GW
"Easy to trust in ancient kor litho-tech." - Ardenn
///
Phyrexian Discharger 2U
Artifact (R)
Flash
1B, T, Sacrifice an artifact or creature: You gain life and mill cards equal to the sacrificed permanent's mana value. Create a tapped Powerstone token for each artifact card milled this way and a 1/1 colorless Phyrexian Thopter artifact creature token with flying for each creature card milled this way.
"We distrust Phyrexian designs at our peril." - Rona
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 months ago

Bogardan Wingfinder R
Creature - Goblin Shaman {R}
Haste
Manticore and Phoenix spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
1/1
//
Akoum Worshipfinder 2RR
Creature - Manticore
Flying
Whenever one or more Goblins you control die, you may search your library for a Manticore or Phoenix card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
3/3

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 months ago

Round is closed.
@MonoRedMage
@AnotherAlias
@Ink-Treader
@void_nothing
@slimytrout

Each player judges all other contestants.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 months ago

MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
An interesting pairing of creature types. Not too weird on the Goblin, but the Manticore referencing Phoenixes feels kind of weird, but Dominaria and Zendikar are known to have both.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Clever, I didn't know the Abyss was a plane. These designs are both pretty cool, though neither feel particularly red. Considering that you have to pay UBR to transform anyway, you could perhaps have made Mij'Nuh monoblack.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
The Equip cost on the Equipment feels a bit high, though I suppose it gives some breathing room for the opponent if they remove the creature, in case of any spicy combos. The Discharger is pretty cool, offering some substantial value, especially if you can populate the deck with artifact creatures.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Skirmish's are a cool idea, and these designs seem reasonable.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. AnotherAlias
3. void_nothing

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 months ago

Just a top 3 for now.

Top 3:
3rd: void_nothing
2nd: Ink-Treader
1st: slimytrout

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 months ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader - Zendikar-Ravnica (Gruul?) exchange program, huh. These make for effective mirrors of one another, with the hosing ability seemingly being a bit better than the ramp, but honestly I think Wild Adventurer's specific pump while attacking is a bit over the curve.

AnotherAlias - Geyadrone Dihada is still deep lore even though she's gotten two planeswalker cards by now. Both sides look reasonable for their cost and Dihada certainly has a fun mind game of an ETB ability, but unfortunately this doesn't quite work under the current rules; modal DFCs can't transform (CR 712.9).

slimytrout - Interesting pair here, and there are many gimmicky battle types that have been design on this forum with their own rules since MOM but skirmish, being basically "repeat this ETB!", is especially well-suited to an MDFC. I think different colors rather than the same would have shown more varied design space, but I do like the hybrid versus traditional gold dynamic.

MonoRedMage - Sure, both of these designs are fine. Manticores and Phoenixes aren't the biggest tribes so it's nice to give them a little boost I suppose. As for tying them to Goblins... not sure that works quite as well as it did for Dragons in Alara.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. AnotherAlias
3. Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 months ago

We're past deadline already, but I give you time until 23.59 EST today.
@MonoRedMage
@slimytrout

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 months ago

Top 3 -
1 - slimytrout
2 - Ink-Treader
3 - void_nothing

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 months ago