Henzie - Toolboxing Since '23

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

I don't have a better name for this deck at the moment. :?

I decided to build another Jund deck with a lot of the cards I removed when I swapped to Windgrace in favor of a focused lands matter strategy. With Henzie I can do all the creature feature reanimate shenanigans I want to and my cards can have a home again, yay!

If you don't see some usual staples here it's because I like to cast different cards in each of my decks. I think we now have a high enough denisty of "good" cards in the format to try different things or just pick cards with higher synergy. For this deck that means I prefer effects on bodies. Also, some stuff is in here simply because I own it or just like the card.

I opted against running Sneak Attack or other ways of cheating out creatures. Instead I want to really focus on Henzie's blitz mechanic, which means casting him multiple times or doubling up on the cost reduction with things like Shadow in the Warp. Naturally Henzie will die as board wipes resolve, but I do think cards like Myth Unbound can be helpful.

This is very much a work in progress however, so I would appreciate your suggestions!
Decklist

WIN CONDITIONS

LANDS

Basics

Approximate Total Cost:

WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

I just want to chime in that after playing Henzie for about a year, my feelings have been:
*The decks feels like it plays best when you can drop Henzie on turn 2 or 3, then start blitzing the following turn (or turn 2 Bloom Tender, turn 3 Henzie + blitzed 4 drop).
*If you subscribe to the above strategy, setup pieces that cost more than 2 mana become rather difficult to get into play. I've cut nearly everything that isn't a blitzable creature. You can take a turn off blitzing to setup the following turns, but a lot of the setup pieces aren't as impactful as simply dropping a creature with a powerful ETB/attack/damage/LTB effect, possibly some decent combat damage, and then a cantrip.
*Mana dorks have been more valuable than the 3-mana cost reducers, because they help get Henzie down a turn earlier, then help blitz stuff, and finally can be used as sac fodder or as blockers when needed (Henzie often feels like it has trouble defending itself).
*Some of your blitzers, especially the 4-mana ones, seem to be kind of low-impact (Grief, Avalanche Riders) in that they only affect one opponent, in a somewhat minor way.

I've got my list in my signature if you want to have a look.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”