@mtgnexus Community Deck Project v11.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

New Year, Same Activities!

What *IS* the community build-a-deck? Inspired by a subject on the MTG Nexus commander forums, this project takes a randomly determined legend (and partner, or background, if the random button falls on an applicable legend) where we work together on the deckbuild process. For the sake of historical reference, each finished deck will be archived on my Moxfield as well as carried over in each new iteration of this thread. There are some rules involved, though;

1. I will start the deck with a randomly determined legendary creature or legendary planeswalker that can be a commander. In the event of pulling a partner, I will randomly determine what it's paired with from all the available partners pool. I may reroll the random commander in some cases, because no one wants to see a full build for such all-stars as Tobias Andrion, of course.
2. Two randomly determined users from a list of those active in the game will be chosen each day if discussion is strong on previous cards, and they will nominate a card for the day's discussion. Majority yays/nays in twenty-four hours is enough to confirm or reject a card, or three yay/nay if the project has a lot of participants.
3. In the interest of streamlining, let's not abstain from cards. Just a yay/nay and why that's the case so that there would be fewer "executive actions" taken as cards clog up the queue. Present an alternative that we can comment on and vote in, in place of an abstain vote instead.
4. This aim is about communication and cohesion, if you don't agree with a direction or card choices, SPEAK UP, and let's talk it over. Preferably with more than a one sentence quip. If we can't communicate effectively, this project will fail every time. I'm fascinated by the progress we've made as our own little AI machine brains have more and more begun to recognize how each other is thinking and how we can complement what each other is doing...or not doing. Looking back on the earlier iterations to present is such a fun process!
5. Let's aim for a "higher than mid, lower than high" power level. I'm all for expression, but decks should be functioning on their own power in random pickup games. Card suggestions should be more intricate than art-containing-chairs tribal, but not as parasitic as ThOracle-Consult either.
6. Let's talk tutours! Since they're such a polarizing card type, let's limit the mana value of them to 3mv, or 2mv in the event of them being specialized (a la rampant growth|mir or Eladamri's Call).
How cool would it be if some number of us actually took these decks and brought them into their paper world? Let's try to leave the Reserve List stuff out, as well as keep the spell selections to ~$35. No one wants to look up one of these and feel demoralized because every deck has a Grim Monolith or Gaea's Cradle, after all.
7. Each finished deck will go on to my Moxfield to live forever as "@mtgnexus Community Deck Project {deck number}" for reference point.
8. I reserve the right to amend these guidelines as we go, should questions arise.

* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v1.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v2.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v3.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v4.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v5.0b
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v6.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v7.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v8.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v9.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v10.0
* @mtgnexus Community Deck Build Project v11.0

Without further ado, the commander selections randomly determined for v11.0;

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

Henzie
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

I do think that's the most open ended commander of the three, without leaning into some trite mana combo like Marath or...everything that Miirym does. I'm with Henzie.

What's the over-under on this becoming modern Boomer Jund anyway?

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

I like Henzie a lot. For 3 mana he does so much and probably everything you could want out of jund archetype. He grants cost reduction, haste, card draw, and a sac outlet. fill the deck with powerful etbs and death triggers and you're golden.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 4 months ago

Ohh, marath is something I haven't seen in quite a few years. Like a hardened scales deck yeah? Bet we can build it like modern scales so I'll vote that!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”