January MCC Round 3 - Ideals Unattainable

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Ryder
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ryder » 4 months ago

(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Learn from the Past by Chase Stone.)

January MCC Round 3

Ideals Unattainable

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
—Christopher Reeve

Main Challenge - Design a permanent card with a mana cost that includes "you win the game" in its rules text. Additionally, your card is exactly the color displayed near your name in the pairings section (see below).

Subchallenge 1 - The card is Common or Uncommon.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card has a lower mana value than that of your opponent's.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main challenge:
It must include an ability that ends the game and results in you winning it. No word plays such as "...unless you win the game" are allowed.
Please mind the "with a mana cost" clause. Lands don't work here. Neither does Lotus Bloom.
C means colorless.

Subchallenge #1
Self-explanatory.

Subchallenge #2
This is the versus round, the only entry your card is compared against here is the one from your direct opponent.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, January 20th 2024, 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Tuesday, December 23rd 2024, 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

PLAYERS & SCORES
@Raptorchan 41
@Freyleyes 35
@Subject16 33.5
@haywire 33.5
@Komandon 33
@Caspernicus 29

PAIRINGS
Raptorchan W vs B Caspernicus
Freyleyes U vs R Komandon
Subject16 G vs C haywire

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 4 months ago

Knight of Horizons ww
Creature — Human Knight (U)
Vigilance
2www, t: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Plains card. Put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle. If no land cards were revealed this way, you win the game.
2/3

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 months ago

Belrig, Daring Cartographer 1G
Legendary Creature — Gnome Ranger (U)
Whenever Belrig, Daring Cartographer enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Map token. (It's an artifact with "1, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Target creature you control explores. Activate only as a sorcery.")
Whenever a creature you control explores, venture into the dungeon. Then if you completed three or more dungeons with different names, you win the game.
2/2
Last edited by Subject16 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 4 months ago

Risk-Ridden Plot
Enchantment (U)
Cumulative upkeep—Pay 2 life
Hexproof
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, if Risk-Ridden Plot has 5 or more age counters on it, you win the game.
Incredible risk yields incredible reward—or spectacular failure.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 months ago

Akki Stonespeaker 1R
Creature — Goblin Shaman (uncommon)
R, T, Sacrifice an artifact or land: Exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
3RR, Sacrifice Akki Stonespeaker: Deal damage to target player or planeswalker equal to the number of nonland permanents you own in exile. If you own ten or more nonland permanents in exile, you win the game instead. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/1
Last edited by Komandon 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 months ago

Judge reminder to @Freyleyes and @haywire that the design deadline is in about 18 hours from this post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 4 months ago

Ashiok, the Waking Dream 1U
Legendary Planeswalker — Ashiok {U}
Whenever an opponent puts one or more cards from their library into their graveyard, put a loyalty counter on Ashiok, the Waking Dream.
0: Each player mills three cards. Then they draw a card.
-16: You win the game.

haywire

Post by haywire » 4 months ago

Timepiece of Failed Futures 1
Artifact {U}
Timepiece of Failed Futures enters the battlefield tapped.
t: You lose the game, then you win the game.
"Oh, that future? Nah, it's no good. The city gets leveled, which sort of goes against your goal of trying to save it. But it does beat the invasion after that, so maybe there's some potential."
—Didri, vedalken chronomancer

Ryder

The round is closed.
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
4 months ago
Knight of Horizons ww
Vigilance
2www, t: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Plains card. Put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle. If no land cards were revealed this way, you win the game.
2/3
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Spike enjoys an above-the-curve early beater (0.5). Johnny would try to win with it and mill, but is a little put off by WWW, White doesn't do mill (0.5).
(1.5/3) Elegance - At 5 mana the land doesn't matter. You'd activate this for the "win game" effect only, which is a shame (-1.5).

Development
(2/3) Viability - White doesn't do hard ramp (-1). Win the game would be hard / rare enough to get (pun not intended) to make is okay'ish at uncommon. Good job here.
(3/3) Balance - Seems fine, Huatli's Raptor, Murasa Rootgrazer and Sylvan Advocate are all better.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Not being able to find a Plains is a... unique win condition. EDIT: A land, not a Plains.
(3/3) Flavor - A knight traveling the world untill he sees it all. Lovely.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - It's missing "and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order" (-1). EDIT: Actually, that is incorrect. Aspiring Champion has the right wording.
(1/2) Main Challenge - Met.
(1/2) Subchallenges - An uncommon.

Total: 17/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Caspernicus wrote:
4 months ago
Risk-Ridden Plot
Enchantment (U)
Hexproof
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, if Risk-Ridden Plot has 5 or more age counters on it, you win the game.
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Only Johnny would play it, but oh boy, he WOULD play it!
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty clear despite the precombat main phase trigger being a rare one.

Development
(0.5/3) Viability - Black is right, hexproof works on the right card - Lich's Mastery approves. However, this is something you never want to open / draft in Limited, which should make it a Mythic. Even at Rare it would be too low. Shoot! Additional -0.5 penalty to give a net loss when coupled with the subchallenge bonus.
(2.5/3) Balance - Feels just right... for 1v1. Getting this out early in Commander would be crazy (-0.5).

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Mostly old effects, new combination, hexproof on black is the fresh part.
(2/3) Flavor - It's quite generic, can't tell much else about it.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - 5 → "five" (-0.5).
(1.5/2) Main Challenge - Met! Bonus +0.5 for turning a drawback mechanic into a wincon, I like it.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 17/25

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
4 months ago
Whenever an opponent puts one or more cards from their library into their graveyard, put a loyalty counter on Ashiok, the Waking Dream.
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy sees "Win the game" and just wants to activate it badly. Johnny sees a cheap mill and dredge engine that he can build around in many ways. Spike is excited about a cheap card advantage engine.
(2.5/3) Elegance - I needed a second pass to get the "one or more" (-0.5).

Development
(1/3) Viability - Blue is fine. Raw "win the game" is a bit problematic as it probably should never exist in such form (-0.5). This is at least Rare material. Additional -0.5 penalty to give a net loss when coupled with the subchallenge bonus (-1.5).
(2/3) Balance - I really don't think you should be allowed a mill engine, a dredge engine and a CA engine all in a 2 mana package. You don't even have to choose (-1).

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Two-sided mill coupled with card draw is a very cool package!
(3/3) Flavor - I can almost grasp what exactly is going on with the "waking dream", which is probably exactly the feeling it should induce. Not getting it in full feels like actually getting it. Interesting.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Could have used "mills one or more cards". Infernal Genesis says the "Then they..." wording is good.
(0.5/2) Main Challenge - Eh, straight up "Win the game"? At -16? The main challenge is the most uninspired part of the card...

Total: 19.5/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
4 months ago
Akki Stonespeaker 1R
R, T, Sacrifice an artifact or land: Exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
3RR, Sacrifice Akki Stonespeaker: Deal damage to target player or planeswalker equal to the number of nonland permanents you own in exile. If you own ten or more nonland permanents in exile, you win the game instead. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/1
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't like sacrificing his own permanents. Johnny wants to self mill and pair it with Tormod's Crypt. Spike appreciates an opportunity to turn excess lands into value cards.
(2/3) Elegance - Its main use is ditching lands. The second ability caring about nonland permanent feels off. It's trying to do too many things at once. Lacks focus (-1).

Development
(2/3) Viability - Red is good. It's a bit funny, as I deem this card Rare material, but not for the "win the game" reason. It simply has too much going on for an uncommon. For that reason, no additional penalty.
(2/3) Balance - This is not an effect that should appear on a 2 power 2 mana card. To keep the first ability at R, the card would need to be around 4. At 1R, 2 might be fine, if it was a proper rare.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Sacrificing stuff for impulsive draw is unheard of.
(2/3) Flavor - Can't help myself thinking it's a name and the card is missing the Legendary supertype.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - Players don't deal damage, should be "Akki Stonespeaker deals damage" (-1). Permanents outside of the battlefield should be referred to as "permanent cards" (-1).
(2/2) Main Challenge - A new and interesting win condition. Might even act as an anti-graveyard hate. Well done.

Total: 18/25

Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 months ago
Whenever Belrig, Daring Cartographer enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Map token. (It's an artifact with "1, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Target creature you control explores. Activate only as a sorcery.")
Whenever a creature you control explores, venture into the dungeon. Then if you completed three or more dungeons with different names, you win the game.
2/2
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Spike would play this as an awesome cheap value card. Johnny could use a map or two.
(3/3) Elegance - It's a well-designed card that works quite elegantly within its area.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Definitely green. This should be a rare, though (-1). Same as with Komandon, it's not because of the "Win the game" effect, but the overall complexity / completeness of the card. No additional penalty.
(3/3) Balance - I'm mostly alright with this being a slightly pushed legend. "Win the game" is just the icing on the cake, exactly as it should be.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Except for the "win the game", it's known elements put together in a new combination.
(3/3) Flavor - Excellent, Gnome subtype puts it over the top. Love it.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No problems here.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Using Dungeons feels innovative, nice!
(1/2) Subchallenges - An uncommon.

Total: 20/25
haywire (DQ)
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
4 months ago
Artifact {U}
"Oh, that future? Nah, it's no good. The city gets leveled, which sort of goes against your goal of trying to save it. But it does beat the invasion after that, so maybe there's some potential."
I see what you did there. Platinum Angel was my first idea. Then Angel's Grace. And then Donate and Mindslaver. Cool.
But at uncommon? This is worse than One with Nothing. Getting this in multiples in Limited would be disgusting.
Way too narrow to print in any normal set really.

Results
Show
Hide
Raptorchan: 17
Caspernicus: 17

Freyleyes: 19.5
Komandon: 18

Subject16: 20
haywire: DQ
Last edited by Ryder 4 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 months ago

Judgments complete. I haven't reread these and I have to go to bed now (it's past 11 pm here in Italy right now), so I apologize for any typos that might have escaped Word's grammar check. I'll reread these tomorrow, but I wanted to get them out asap.

Please refer to this post in the discussion thread for haywire's DQ: viewtopic.php?p=857489#p857489

Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
4 months ago
Knight of Horizons ww
Vigilance
2/3
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy is excited by a card that's at the same time a good creature and a win condition. Johnny has big challenges to solve both in deckbuilding and gameplay. Spike just treats this as a good French vanilla while completely ignoring the activated ability, knowing that it's almost impossible to win the game by using that.
Elegance 1/3 - I've had to read the card multiple times to get how the activated ability works. At first, I went "how can you reveal no land cards if you're revealing the Plains you're looking for?" I thought it was supposed to be "if no other land cards". Then, after several readings, I got it, or at least I think I got it (see Viability and Balance). I've been a Magic player continuously since original Ravnica in 2005, almost twenty years by now, almost half my life, I can only imagine how a new or less experienced player would be confused by the activated ability. The rest of the cards is perfectly clear, it's that ability that's the problem.
Development
Viability 1.5/3 - No problems with the color pie. I think this, like most cards this round, should be a rare. How often is it that you see "you win the game" on an uncommon? And on top of that, there are also complexity issues that heavily push this card towards rare. Technically, this works in the rules. It just create huge problems in deckbuilding if you want to actually try to win by using the activated ability (see Balance).
Balance 1/3 - Ignoring the activated ability, the rate here is very good, just two mana for a 2/3 with vigilance. That's strong in limited, and could maybe see some play in constructed White Weenie decks. But unfortunately I can't just ignore that ability. If you get to fetch a Plains, things end there and everything's good. But it you want to win using that ability, not only you can't find the Plains you're looking for, because that would already be revealing a land card, but you can't reveal any lands at all. Failing to find the Plains means you're revealing your entire deck, and so revealing no lands, which is the win condition, means there can't be any land cards in your whole deck. You have to play a deck with no lands, which is not viable in any format except maybe in Vintage by using Moxes, or Moxen, whatever the plural of the word Mox is, and even then, those are restricted, so that's only five mana-producing cards. What's the rest of your mana base? You can't make a whole mana base out of cards like Simian Spirit Guide, Manamorphose, and such. And if you play no lands in your deck, you just won't be able to cast your spells. This would be a nightmare especially in casual, where fun is a key factor, and playing a deck with no lands is not fun, as it prevents you from casting your spells. This is a card that could really use just being a French vanilla, removing that activated ability altogether. If you want to save that's salvageable, you could change "no land cards" to "no land cards other than Plains". That would mean you could actually play at least Plains in your deck while being able to actually win through that ability. Those White Weenie decks I was mentioning before could actually play this and try to use the ability to win. At least you would have an actually playable deck.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - This card functions in a very unique way, it looks like cascade and discover at first, but it's something that you want to MISS. Normally, missing a cascade is bad, here it's what you want.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is good, but there is plenty of room for flavor text here. MSE tells me that up to four lines would have fit in the M15 frame.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 0.5/2 - The letter of the challenge are met just fine. The spirit less so, because winning by using this card is almost impossible, or anyway not realistic, as it requires you to play a deck with no lands at all. (See Balance.)
Subchallenges 1/2 - Uncommon but higher mana value than your direct opponent.
TOTAL 15/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Caspernicus wrote:
4 months ago
Risk-Ridden Plot
Enchantment (U)
Hexproof
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy doesn't care and doesn't like to pay any life, especially high amounts. Very interesting card to Johnny. Spike could maybe consider this in a control shell, but for other uses it might be a bit too slow and appropriately risky.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 1/3 - Hexproof is not black. Not even tertiary. The latest mechanical color pie article says it's primary blue, secondary green, and tertiary white. No black is found in the section about hexproof, even though I get why this card mechanically wants it. I think this would be perfect as a blue-black gold card. No way this is uncommon, this has to be at least a rare for so many reasons: board and tracking complexity, especially in multiples, unusual gameplay, high risk, etc... At least I see no problems with the rules (that's where the 1 point comes from, out of the three things this section is about: color pie, rarity, rules, you've got only this one clear).
Balance 1.5/3 - You need to pay 30 life to win with this (2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10 = 30), so you have to either play a high amount of life gain to offset that, or play a format that naturally starts above that, aka only Commander (starts at 40 life). I can't literally think about any other format where this would be playable by itself, without the need for life gain. Also, if you win with this, barring proliferate and similar counter manipulation, it will be on turn 6 at best: you play this on turn 1 and then wait 5 more turns while paying more and more life on upkeep. This card is much more suited for control decks rather than aggro, a good aggro deck wants to win before reaching turn 6 or beyond. If you're the beatdown and you have to go the late game, you're probably going to lose the game before you can even try to win with this. Control decks are also more likely to already want to play life gain, so that's further incentive to do that: gain life and stall the game until you reach turn 6 (at best). Another detail I noticed is that this triggers at the beginning of your main phase, not your upkeep, and that's correct, as otherwise you could stack the abilities the wrong way and having to pay 10 life before winning. This way, instead, things are naturally occurring in the order that they want to happen: you put the fifth age counter and pay 10 life on your upkeep, and only immediately after that the triggered ability triggers and makes you win the game. No risk of stacking the abilities wrong. The risk here is another one, and I think the flavor text is a perfect expression of the high risk of playing with this card.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - I feel like this is a perfect example of a default score here. It mixes known elements in a technically new way, though without introducing anything particularly new or original.
Flavor 3/3 - This is indeed a very risky card, and its flavor reflects that very well.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - A period/full stop is missing at the end of the cumulative upkeep cost, see for example Glacial Chasm and the Oracle text of old cards such as Inner Sanctum. (-0.5) The numeral 5 in the last ability should be written out as a number word ("...has five or more are counters...", -0.5). Cumulative upkeep is not evergreen, so it needs reminder text. It's only at rare or mythic that you can omit it for lack of room. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 1/2 - Letter and spirit of the challenge are met just fine. No additional bonus here because the creativity here lies more in the use of the mechanics than in the approach to the challenge.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Uncommon and lower mana value than your direct opponent.
TOTAL 16/25

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
4 months ago
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes both planeswalkers and milling. Johnny could find some milling combos. Spike wouldn't want to ever touch this card, it's just too slow to her.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie. If we follow WAR's pattern, this should be a rare. In WAR, uncommon planeswalkers had one non-loyalty ability and only one loyalty ability. Rare ones had two loyalty abilities and mythic ones had three in addition to the non-loyalty one. I can think of only one other uncommon planeswalker: Chandra, Novice Pyromancer in M20, but that feels more of a justified exception rather than the norm. It was a vertical cycle of Chandra at different ages in a core set themed after her. Those were very specific circumstances. No problems with the rules.
Balance 1.5/3 - This looks innocent enough, but we know the story of the only two-mana planeswalker in Magic history: underpowered up to the point of being unplayable just because they wanted to keep it at two mana. Since then, planeswalker have always had a mana value of at least three, and it can't be by chance. In a normal duel, I don't feel this would be different. In multiplayer it gets better as you have multiple opponents milling at the same times, so the triggered ability giving him loyalty counters can trigger multiple times on each of your turns, making getting to 16 loyalty much easier and faster. Also, they usually avoid explicitly writing "you win the game" as a planeswalker's ultimate, preferring to make abilities that put you in a very good position to win soon rather than just outright winning the game. Milling is usually not viable even as a limited strategy, would this be enough to make it viable? Honestly, I don't think so.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - A milling-based planeswalker. Nothing new. Default score.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Strange to see Ashiok without black, certainly possible as Ashiok is blue-black, but still strange, especially given that Ashiok's most recent card was mono-black (Ashiok, Wicked Manipulator from Wilds of Eldraine). Milling as a mechanic feels like a good fit for Ashiok as a character.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - I don't see why the triggered ability can't simply be worded as "Whenever an opponent mills one or more cards, put a loyalty counter..." (-0.5) The 0 ability should have been worded as "Each player mills three cards, then draws a card." There no precedent with this exact sequence of actions, but that's easily implied from cards like Invasion of Amonkhet or Witherbloom Command. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 1.5/2 - +0.5 bonus for creative approach to the Main Challenge by willingly choosing to make a planeswalker, which is known to be the hardest card type to design, or at least it was before the release of battles.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Uncommon but has the same mana value as your direct opponent's card, and "equal" is not "lower". Subchallenge 2 doesn't have an "or equal to" in its wording.
TOTAL 17/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
4 months ago
Akki Stonespeaker 1R
2/1
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes this for damage, but is not a fan of sacrificing things and having to give up casting spells. Johnny can find other ways to get cards into exile other than by using the first ability. Spike may like this in a deck focused on sacrificing artifacts for value, and she's also the most likely out of all three to be actually willing to sacrifice lands too to the first ability.
Elegance 2.5/3 - A bit wordy but still very easy to understand.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie. I think this, like all other cards this rounds, should be rare and not uncommon, but I admit this is probably the closest one to actually feeling uncommon. Big problems with the rules but only because of wrong terminology, which I will penalize in Quality. If this were written in the correct way, the rules would have no problems with it. No point in penalizing twice for the same mistakes.
Balance 2.5/3 - Costs and rate all look good to me. Certainly playable in limited. For a two-mana 2/1 to be playable in constructed, it takes a lot of upside. Winning the game could be enough, but you have to give up casting ten spells to get there, which actually looks like a huge drawback when you say it like that. For sure, this is an incentive to build a red deck that's not all about aggro, which does feel nice every now and then. I see no particular problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Default is 1.5. A very nice twist on impulsive draw, worth +1.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The name is good and reflects the mechanics well enough. According to MSE, a couple lines of flavor text would have fit in the M15 frame, but I admit this card does indeed look better without it from an aesthetic point of view, so not a big problem.
Polish
Quality 0/3 - In the last ability, you can't have damage without a source. I guess this card is meant to be the source of the damage itself, in which case it would have to be worded as "...Sacrifice Akki Stonespeaker: It deals damage...". This is a functional mistake, as again, you can't have damage with no source, so -1. Also, in exile there are no "permanents", there are "permanent cards", so the correct wording is "...the number of nonland permanent cards you own in exile." This is also a functional mistake because "permanents" only exist on the battlefield, and it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the different kinds of objects that can exist in the various zones, so -1 for this as well. Then you do it again (it should be "If you own ten or more nonland permanent cards in exile..."), showing that the previous instance was not just a typo but again, a fundamental misunderstanding. -1 for the second instance of the same functional mistake, with the aggravating circumstance of repetition. I'm really sorry.
Main Challenge 1.5/2 - +0.5 bonus for creative approach with exploiting impulsive draw in a way that actively makes you NOT want to cast the card you exile.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Uncommon but has the same mana value as your direct opponent's card, and "equal" is not "lower". Subchallenge 2 doesn't have an "or equal to" in its wording.
TOTAL 17.5/25

Subject16 (automatically advancing)
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 months ago
2/2
You're automatically advancing because your direct opponent has been DQ'ed, but I will judge your card anyway.

Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy is a huge fan. Johnny can probably do something unintended with the tokens and use unexpected ways to make his creatures explore. Spike sees this as a bear with potentially huge upside, and she approves.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Three different mechanics (Map tokens, explore, venture into the dungeon) that actually come together very nicely to make a whole package that feels very nice. It's still three different mechanics together, so it's maybe a little on the complex side of things.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. As all cards this round, I think this should be a rare. Bears with upside are fine at uncommon, but I feel like the upside being "you potentially win the game" is a bit too much for uncommon.
Balance 3/3 - It requires dungeons and explore to be together in the same set, which hasn't happened so far but I feel like it could hypothetically happen in the future, the flavor is indeed very close. I don't feel like the mechanical pairing would be as easy though. Possible, sure, but it has to be done well. The "venture into the dungeon" mechanic does NOT allow you to choose Undercity as the dungeon to venture into, only the three original dungeons from AFR. Given that they happen to be three, the last ability essentially asks you to complete all the existing dungeons that you can choose. Good job with that, it gives a very nice sense of completion. Provided that both mechanics appear together in the same set, this looks playable for sure in limited and maybe in constructed too, it's a bear with significant upside. With the same premise, I don't see problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Default is 1.5. +1 for the mechanical pairing of explore with venture into the dungeon, which I honestly had never thought of before as a custom card designer, and you managed to make it feel perfectly natural.
Flavor 3/3 - The strongest area of this card by far. You explore dungeons and make maps out of your explorations. Just perfect.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 1.5/2 - Giving you a +0.5 bonus for creative approach as you didn't just have the card directly win you the game, but rather there is an additional step in the middle. The card does let you win, but not directly.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Uncommon but higher mana value than your direct opponent.
TOTAL 21.5/25
haywire (DQ) (edited)
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
4 months ago
Artifact {U}
This card was posted one hour after the design deadline. This is the difference between Boros and Azorius when enforcing the law: the Azorius apply it literally, the Boros know when to close one or both eyes. I am Boros on this, but I'm not the host this month, so if the Azorius say you're DQ'ed for being just one hour late, that's what I, as a Boros, have to regretfully apply. I will still judge your card as normal, except in Main Challenge of course (that needs to be a zero for this to be a DQ).

Design
(1/3) Appeal - No one is interested in a card that makes them lose the game. Maybe Johnny could try to figure out someway for the losing part to not happen, like pairing this with Platinum Angel: if you have the Angel on the battlefield, the "you lose" part can't happen, so nothing happens for that part and the ability actually gets to resolve its second part, which results in you winning the game.
EDIT - It turns out this was the actual intent behind this card design. It also turns out that you can do it with Cloudsteel Kirin in Standard. This doesn't really change anything here, it's still a card that requires other cards with a very specific effect to function, and there aren't that many in existence with that effect. Yes, one could be in Standard, but could you really play a Standard deck with 4x Cloudsteel Kirin and 4x this card? Then what else do you play, a control shell to try to stall the game until you can assemble this combo? Yes, it's Johnny's paradise, but it's still too narrow to use practically. Maybe in older formats where you can have more redundancy with the "can't lose" effects, but you still need those. You can't build a deck with this card and not include "can't lose" effects. It forces your choices in deckbuilding rather than giving you options to build different decks. I'm sorry, but my opinion on this card doesn't change, it's too A + B and too narrow.
Or he could Donate this to an opponent and then somehow force them to activate the tap ability to make them lose. But Timmy and Spike just don't care at best and hate this card at worst.
(1/3) Elegance - The text is apparently easy to understand, but its consequences might be not. You can't win if you've already lost. If you've lost, you've lost. There is no coming back to win. Some players might think they actually get to lose and then win, because they might remember other effects interacting in a different way (see Viability).

Development
(0/3) Viability - This is not viable to print as is, at all. It's not that there are problems with this being colorless, and not even with the fact that this should at the very least be a mythic if printed for real (which again, I, as a real Wizards editor, would forbid), but with the rules. The problem underlying all this judgment is that if you ever activate the tap ability, you lose the game, period. When you lose, you lose. You're no longer in the game, so you're not there anymore to win afterwards. The "then you win the game" part will never happen, as you're already out of the game and thus can't be affected by resolving spells or abilities anymore. Here are the rules from the CR (LCI edition, still the most recent one at the time of this writing) supporting this interpretation:
CR (LCI) wrote: 104.3e An effect may state that a player loses the game.
That's preceded by three rules saying you can lose the game as a state-based action if you have 0 or less life, if you're required to draw a card from an empty library, or if you have ten or more poison counters. Those are SBAs, so they are only checked at specific times, aka whenever a player is about to receive priority, and that's why, for example, you can survive if you go below 0 life but end up again above zero before you get priority, like for example during the resolution of a single spell or ability.
(See for example the famous case of Judge Dave having to explain why a parody song by MTGRemy is wrong. That song was a parody of one of my favorite songs of all time, "The way" by Fastball, that becomes "The play", involving Sword of Hearth and Home and Abyssal Persecutor, a combo that according to MTGRemy wins you the game on the spot, but it actually doesn't work in the rules exactly because SBAs are only checked at predetermined times and not continuously, as Judge Dave explains. I'm a big fan of both Judge Dave and MTGRemy, so I'm happy I get to quote both of them in one of my judgments! Thank you for giving me this opportunity!)
But losing the game due to an effect, like on this card, is NOT an SBA, so it happens immediately, like conceding the game (104.3a). But even if that were not the case, what happens when a player would win and lose at the same time?
104.3f If a player would both win and lose the game simultaneously, that player loses the game.
You would lose anyway. One could argue that here there is a sequence: first you lose and then you win, but that's even worse because there are no simultaneous effects there, you just lose before you win. But even if they happened at the same time, you'd lose anyway. This is a card that might cause some players to think that they can come back after they lose to win, but what it actually does is just making you lose. Written like this, and under the current rules, this card is just unprintable. I don't see how it could make it past the rules team.
(0/3) Balance - No matter the format, limited or constructed, casual or multiplayer, this is a card that functionally reads "T: You lose the game." That's it. Who would ever want to play that? This is worse than One with Nothing, with that at least you're still technically in the game though with no cards in hand anymore.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The tap ability is definitely unique, too bad it doesn't work as intended. But if we're talking Uniqueness, you get full points for that. If it worked, this card would be as memorable as Mindslaver, a card that everybody still knows today, but was originally printed almost twenty years ago.
(3/3) Flavor - The flavor here is not only very good in all its elements (so full points here), but also ironic, as this card is actually a failed present, given that the tap ability works the opposite of what was clearly intended.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All good as far as grammar and templating are concerned. See Viability for the real problems.
(0/2) Main Challenge - Besides this card having been posted only one hour too late, this would have very probably been a low score anyway. The Main Challenge asked you for a card that won you the game, but this one actually makes you lose it before you can win it. This would have been the opposite of what the Main Challenge was asking anyway.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Uncommon and lower mana value than your direct opponent.

Total: 13/25 DQ

Results
Show
Hide
Raptorchan: 15
Caspernicus: 16

Freyleyes: 17
Komandon: 17.5

Subject16: automatically advancing (would be 21.5)
haywire: DQ (would be 13/25)
Last edited by bravelion83 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Ryder

Final results:
@Caspernicus (33 total) mounts an astonishing comeback, having been 12 points down from rounds 1 & 2 compared to his opponent. You fought well, Raptorchan (32 total).
@Freyleyes's Ashiok (36.5 total) edges out Komandon's Stonespeaker (35.5 total).
haywire's unfortunate disqualification didn't matter in the end as @Subject16 (41.5 total) left everyone else in the dust this round!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”