December MCC Round 3 - Ingenious Crafting

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 5 months ago

MCC-LCI.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Orazca Puzzle-Door by Cristi Balanescu.)

December MCC Round 3

Ingenious Crafting

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case The Lost Caverns of Ixalan, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Sorry for the uninspired round title, but I needed one and this one was the first that came to my mind, you all will have to make do. Just like that, I have no intro paragraph this round, so let's go straight to the interesting part: the challenges.

Main Challenge - Design a DFC with craft on the front face.

Subchallenge 1 - The craft materials canNOT include objects with the artifact card type in the type line. Restrictions not based on card types are allowed even if they can include artifacts.

(This forbids not just "craft with artifact" but anything that might include an object that has the artifact card type as part of the materials, like for example "craft with a permanent", "craft with Golem", of "craft with land". Again, this only matters for restrictions based on card types in the type line, so things like "craft with a card with mana value 4 or less" are allowed even if artifacts with such mana value exist. Restrictions based on card types that have never included artifacts are also fine, like "craft with a Planeswalker". See clarifications for more examples.)

Subchallenge 2 - The mana component of the craft cost and the card's mana cost do NOT share any colors.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: In January we are trying some changes. Those do NOT apply here for December, but there is one, and only one of them, that I've decided we're going to try already in this round: the pairings for Round 3 keeping into account the scores from the previous two rounds. As I post the pairings at the end of the design phase, I will post the combined scores of all players from the first two rounds, and the pairings will be 1st vs. 6th, 2nd vs. 5th, and 3rd vs. 4th. Yes, this implies you already know who you will be up against if you want to make the math work yourself before I officially post it when the design deadline for this round comes. I'm just not telling it officially until then.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

Should be self-explanatory enough.

There are two requirements that have to be met at the same time:
1. The card is a DFC (of the transforming kind, otherwise there is no point in it having craft).
2. The card has the craft mechanic printed on its front face.

As long as there is the craft mechanic on the front face, both the rest of the front face and the back face can be and do whatever you want.

As for the scores, this kind of Main Challenge is essentially binary: it's either fully met (both the above requirements are met at the same time, 2/2), or not met at all (either one or both of the requirements are not met, that's a 0/2 and a DQ). There is no middle ground here, so the MC score should always be either 2/2 or 0/2 (with consequent DQ in this last case).

Subchallenge 1
bravelion83 wrote:
5 months ago
Raptorchan wrote:
5 months ago
@bravelion83
"Subchallenge 1 - The craft materials canNOT include artifacts. (This forbids not just "craft with artifact" but anything that might include an artifact as part of the materials, like for example "craft with a permanent".)"

I'd like to clarify something. If "craft with a permanent" doesn't satisfy the subchallenge because it can include artifact, the same is true for "craft with one or more nonlands", "craft with creature", "craft with land" and even "craft with enchantment", because artifact creatures/lands/enchantments also exist, right?
Correct, but that matters only for restrictions based on card types. If the restriction is based on something other than card types, then it's allowed, like for example:
• "craft with a card with mana value 3 or greater" (even if there are existing artifacts with such mana value, but what matters is the mana value and not it being an artifact)
• "craft with one or more red cards" (even if there are existing red artifacts, but again, what matters here is the color, not the artifact card type)

Even restriction based on card types are allowed if they can't possibly include an artifact considering only real Magic cards, like the following:
• "craft with planeswalker" (there are no existing planeswalkers that have the artifact card type in addition to the planeswalker one)
• "craft with Aura" (as far as I know there are no existing "Artifact Enchantment — Aura")
• "craft with Saproling" (there are no existing "Artifact Creature — Saproling", neither card nor token)
• "craft with Squirrel" (there are no existing "Artifact Creature — Squirrel" in black border, again, as far as I know, the only one is Steel Squirrel but it's silver border so it doesn't count)

I still have to write the clarifications spoiler, sorry about that, but this post goes straight into it.
bravelion83 wrote:
5 months ago
Komandon wrote:
5 months ago
I thought I read on it craft with challenge. That it can't be a creature for one of the DFC faces. Not just the card you crafts can't be artifacts. Was it removed. I'm sorry my memory is getting worse.
I'm sorry but I can't understand the question here. There is no problem with one or both faces being an artifact and/or creature. That Subchallenge only cares about what you're using to craft, not the characteristics of either face. I hope to have involuntarily answered this way, but if that's not the answer, could you please reformulate your question? Thanks.
Komandon wrote:
5 months ago
Thank you. That is the answer. I was confused since I thought it use to have that restriction and now I didn't see it. Maybe I mistook it for an older challenge.
bravelion83 wrote:
5 months ago
Subject16 wrote:
5 months ago
bravelion83 wrote:
5 months ago
for example:
• "craft with a card with mana value 3 or greater" (even if there are existing artifacts with such mana value, but what matters is the mana value and not it being an artifact)
• "craft with one or more red cards" (even if there are existing red artifacts, but again, what matters here is the color, not the artifact card type)
Would something like "craft with a historic permanent" fall under this category? Or does historic being intrinsically tied to types/subtypes/supertypes (one of which being specifically artifacts) make it incompatible with the subchallenge?
The latter, "historic" is just a shorthand for a batch of things that are found on the type line, so it counts as "a restriction based on card types", that means one that do NOT count for Subchallenge 1. If you're doing anything based on things found on the type line, then Subchallenge 1 isn't met. You have to care about things other than what is found on the type line.
I feel like I've explained it enough in the above posts quoted from the discussion thread, and also by slightly rewording the challenge in a nonfunctional way. If you have more questions after reading the posts above and the reworded version of the challenge, feel free to ask in the discussion thread.

Subchallenge 2

This should also be self-explanatory enough. The craft mechanic always has a mana component associated to it and printed on the card. Take that mana component and compare it with the card's mana cost. The two costs can't share any colors.

Generic, colorless, and nonexistent mana costs can't share any colors because they have none. Remember the usual adage: "colorless is not a color". You can't share the lack of something with anything by definition.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. You can find it in a low size PDF version attached to this post and you can also find the link to the original higher size PDF in my signature. They are the same document, I just had to compress it more to be able to put it here as an attachment as the original file, the one linked in my signature, is too large to be attached here. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, January 10th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Sunday, January 14th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@Caspernicus
@Komandon
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Raptorchan
@slimytrout
@Subject16

EDITS
January 7th - Slight rewording of Subchallenge 1 for clarity. Also, added Raptorchan's question and my answer in the clarifications spoiler.
January 8th - Added Komandon's and Subject16's questions and my answers in the clarifications spoiler. Also, the rest of the clarification spoiler has been written as well. Sorry for the delay in doing that. I usually do it before posting the round, but as you probably know if you've followed my recent posts, there are other things IRL in this period also requiring my attention...

BRACKETS

Total scores of the first two rounds:
slimytrout: 23 + 22.5 = 45.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 22.5 + 21.5 = 44
Subject16: 21 + 22.5 = 43.5
Caspernicus: 21 + 21.5 = 42.5
Raptorchan: 21 + 21 = 42
Komandon: 21.5 + 19 = 40.5

This means that this round's pairings are:
slimytrout vs. Komandon
kwanyeegor-ii vs. Raptorchan
Subject16 vs. Caspernicus

Both judges will judge all cards. The player with the highest combined score in this round will advance to the final round. Judging may begin right now.
Attachments
Nexus MCC Guidelines and FAQ (low size version for attachment).pdf
Last edited by bravelion83 5 months ago, edited 11 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 5 months ago

Azor's Workshop
Legendary Land (R)
t: Add c.
t: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to cast planeswalker spells, spells with craft or activate craft abilities.
Craft with planeswalker 2wu (2wu, Exile this land, Exile a planeswalker you control or a planeswalker card from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
//
Prototype of Immortal Sun
Legendary Artifact
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, choose two —
• Until your next turn, target planeswalker loses all abilities.
• Draw a card.
• Add one mana of any color.
• Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 5 months ago

Cordyceps Wayfinder 1G
Creature — Fungus Shaman (uncommon)
When Cordyceps Wayfinder enters the battlefield, mill three cards, then you may return up to a land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Craft with a basic Swamp 3BB(3BB, Exile this creature, Exile a basic Swamp you control or a basic Swamp card from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
1/2
///
Cordyceps Infection (black)
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-1, has deathtouch and is a black Fungus in addition to its other colors and types.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 5 months ago

Historian's Tome
Artifact (R)
: Copy target activated or triggered ability you control from a battle or Saga source. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Craft with one or more battles and/or Sagas 3WB (3WB, Exile this artifact, Exile one or more battles and/or Sagas from among permanents you control and/or cards in your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
///
Book of Legendary Feats (white & black)
Artifact
Saga spells you cast have read ahead. (As you cast a Saga spell, choose a chapter and start with that many lore counters. Skipped chapters don't trigger.)
Whenever you cast a battle spell, create a 2/2 white and black Knight creature token with menace.
, : Cast an exiled battle or Saga card used to craft Book of Legendary Feats without paying its mana cost. Activate only as a sorcery.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

About 36 hours left to the design deadline. We're still missing submissions from the following players:
@kwanyeegor-ii
@slimytrout
@Subject16
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 5 months ago

Shuna, Gold-Plated Golem 3
Legendary Artifact Creature — Golem (R)
Ward 1
Permanents you control have "T: Add one mana of any of this permanent's colors."
Craft with multicolored WUBRG (WUBRG, Exile this artifact, Exile a multicolored permanent you control or a multicolored card from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
3/3
///
Shuna's Sanctum
Legendary Artifact
Ward 5
Each multicolored creature you control gets +1/+1 for each of its colors.
T, Exile target multicolored card from your graveyard: Create a 0/0 Golem artifact creature token that's each of the exiled card's colors. Activate only as a sorcery.
Last edited by slimytrout 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 5 months ago

Soulless Gnome 2
Artifact Creature — Gnome (U)
Whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you gain 1 life.
Craft with one or more nonartifact creatures 4B (4B, Exile this artifact, Exile one or more other nonartifact creatures you control and/or nonartifact creature cards from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
1/3
///
Soul-Fueled Abomination
• Artifact Creature — Gnome Horror (U)
Menace
Whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, each opponent loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards used to craft Soul-Fueled Abomination.
It used to yearn for a soul of its own. Now it wants to rid Ixalan of them.
4/4

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Only @kwanyeegor-ii is left at about 12 hours from the design deadline.

Show
Hide

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 5 months ago

Chantlomul, Abyss Beacon 2B
Legendary Artifact Creature - Bat Gnome (Mythic)
Flying
When Chantlomul, Abyss Beacon enters the battlefield, search your library for a nonland permanent card, reveal it, and put it into your hand, then shuffle. You lose life equal to that card's mana value. If it's a world enchantment card, create a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.
Craft with one or more world enchantments 1RGWU
It combines clockwork with the power of Aclazotz, allowing shadowy insights.
2/1
/DFC/
Chantlomul, Multiverse Imbued
(WUBRG) Legendary Artifact Creature - Dinosaur Gnome (Mythic)
Flying, double strike, deathtouch
Chantlomul has all abilities of each card exiled with it.
Creatures with flying you control get +1/+1 for each card exiled with Chantlomul
1: Chantlomul loses an ability of a card exiled of it of your choice until the beginning of your next turn.
3/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

The round is closed.

BRACKETS

Total scores of the first two rounds:
slimytrout: 23 + 22.5 = 45.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 22.5 + 21.5 = 44
Subject16: 21 + 22.5 = 43.5
Caspernicus: 21 + 21.5 = 42.5
Raptorchan: 21 + 21 = 42
Komandon: 21.5 + 19 = 40.5

This means that this round's pairings are:
slimytrout vs. Komandon
kwanyeegor-ii vs. Raptorchan
Subject16 vs. Caspernicus

Both judges will judge all cards. The player with the highest combined score in this round will advance to the final round. Judging may begin right now.

Judgments complete. Waiting for @void_nothing's ones to progress to the final round.

I haven't reread these yet, so, as usual, sorry for any typos.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
5 months ago
Shuna, Gold-Plated Golem 3
Legendary Artifact Creature — Golem (R)
Ward 1
Permanents you control have "T: Add one mana of any of this permanent's colors."
Craft with multicolored WUBRG (WUBRG, Exile this artifact, Exile a multicolored permanent you control or a multicolored card from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
3/3
///
Shuna's Sanctum
Legendary Artifact
Ward 5
Each multicolored creature you control gets +1/+1 for each of its colors.
T, Exile target multicolored card from your graveyard: Create a 0/0 Golem artifact creature token that's each of the exiled card's colors. Activate only as a sorcery.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes pretty much everything here. Johnny can use both the mana from the front face and the tokens from the back face in unusual ways. Spike likes this in ramp decks, though I'm not sure how often she will actually craft this.
Elegance 2/3 - Some players might be left perplex by the 0/0 token, not realizing it gets buffed by a different ability of the same face. The rest of the text is a bit long but still easy to understand.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Manalith costs three mana, which is the standard for artifact mana ramp these days. This is a Manalith with multiple significant upside, that turns all your permanents into Manaliths and also has a back face, which is rightfully hard to reach. I can easily see this played both in limited and constructed, and I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - The whole package is technically new, but is mostly made up of all things we've seen before, just arranged in a new way.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The names are both very good. MSE tells me that technically up to two lines of flavor text could have been included on both faces, but I agree the card looks better without it.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 22/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
5 months ago
Cordyceps Wayfinder 1G
Creature — Fungus Shaman (uncommon)
When Cordyceps Wayfinder enters the battlefield, mill three cards, then you may return up to a land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Craft with a basic Swamp 3BB(3BB, Exile this creature, Exile a basic Swamp you control or a basic Swamp card from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
1/2
///
Cordyceps Infection (black)
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-1, has deathtouch and is a black Fungus in addition to its other colors and types.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Not the best for Timmy. There are things he likes (regrowing lands, Mind Controlling his opponents' creatures, etc...) and dislikes (milling himself, low power in the front face, losing life himself in the back face, etc...) at the same time. Johnny has already fallen in love with this card. Spike can also find uses for this, even though I think those uses are more likely to involve the ETB on the front face with self-mill and regrowing lands more than crafting.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The text is a bit long but still very easy to understand.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Black is tertiary in Mind Control but it can do it, so no problems with the color pie. I could also see this at rare, but it's probably fine too as a strong uncommon. No problems with the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - The base rate is fine: two mana for a 1/2 with such an ETB ability looks fine. Mind Control costs indeed five mana in its base form. Here I would say it needs to cost a little bit more as it's the back face of a DFC and doesn't take an additional slot in your deck, but there are drawbacks that allow the mana value, which in this case is the mana component of the craft cost, to stay the same (you get the creature but smaller, the -1/-1 here is actually a drawback, as is obviously the life loss from the last ability). Playable in limited, and maybe constructed too if self-mill is viable in the format. Mind Control effects might be notoriously a bit unfun in casual. No problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nothing really new here. One could think the black Mind Control is new, but black is already secondary in that effect.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Names are perfect and already tell a story by themselves. I want to prize that. According to MSE, up to three lines of flavor text could have fit on the back face.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. No basic Swamps are also artifacts in Magic's history so far.
TOTAL 21.5/25

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
5 months ago
Chantlomul, Abyss Beacon 2B
Legendary Artifact Creature - Bat Gnome (Mythic)
Flying
When Chantlomul, Abyss Beacon enters the battlefield, search your library for a nonland permanent card, reveal it, and put it into your hand, then shuffle. You lose life equal to that card's mana value. If it's a world enchantment card, create a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.
Craft with one or more world enchantments 1RGWU
It combines clockwork with the power of Aclazotz, allowing shadowy insights.
2/1
/DFC/
Chantlomul, Multiverse Imbued
(WUBRG) Legendary Artifact Creature - Dinosaur Gnome (Mythic)
Flying, double strike, deathtouch
Chantlomul has all abilities of each card exiled with it.
Creatures with flying you control get +1/+1 for each card exiled with Chantlomul
1: Chantlomul loses an ability of a card exiled of it of your choice until the beginning of your next turn.
3/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes the back face a lot, and he also likes to search his library for big creatures or ramp, but "lose life equal to its mana value" is a big letdown to him. Johnny loves the tutor effect on the front face and messing with abilities on the back face. Spike also likes the tutor part a lot. She might see the back face as a finisher.
Elegance 1/3 - The front face is microtext: ten lines and three breaks. It also mentions World enchantments, and most of people playing Magic today probably don't even know what those are. I do, don't worry. The back face is not technically microtext but it's still very long and also complex. The separation of colors between the mana cost and the mana component of the craft cost helps, but it's not enough to make up for that.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - The only problem here is the color indicator on the back face. They are already hesitant to print 3-colored color indicators, let alone a five-color one. The back face should have had no color indicator but a CDA stating that "CARDNAME is all colors" instead. No problems with the color pie or with this being a mythic.
Balance 1/3 - The rate and costs here look all good, but there is a problem: this is only playable (not technically, but in the sense that you get the full value out of it) in a format where there are World enchantments, and I think that's only Legacy and Vintage, and other formats, like Commander, where legality is based on those. In Modern there are already none, let alone in more recent formats, and I honestly can't see them printing more of them today. That's a big problem. I see no other ones in this areas, but that's a big one.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - It interacts with World enchantments and the way the back face works does feel original.
Flavor 2/3 - Names and card concept are good, but flavor text should not be there. It's its fault if the front face is microtext, it wouldn't be without it. It's good, but it doesn't fit in the text box.
Polish
Quality 0/3 - Hyphen instead of em dash on the type line while your direct opponent got it right instead. (-0.5) According to MSE, they type line is too long on both faces. (-0.5 twice) Having no reminder text for craft was the good call on a mythic with no room, but despite that, this is still microtext. No deduction for that here as I've already done it in Elegance and I'm not penalizing you twice for the same mistake. Templating errors on the back face: "card exiled with it" should always be "exiled card used to craft Chantlomul" (-0.5 three times). If Chantlomul already has gained the abilities thanks to the second line of the back face, with the last ability you're actually making one of the exiled cards used to craft Chantlomul lose an ability, not Chantlomul itself, as I think the intent was. You should just drop "of a card exiled of it" from the last ability. (-1 for functional mistake plus -0.5 for that extra "of it" in the wording I've just quoted.)
TOTAL 15.5/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
5 months ago
Azor's Workshop
Legendary Land (R)
t: Add c.
t: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to cast planeswalker spells, spells with craft or activate craft abilities.
Craft with planeswalker 2wu (2wu, Exile this land, Exile a planeswalker you control or a planeswalker card from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
//
Prototype of Immortal Sun
Legendary Artifact
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, choose two —
• Until your next turn, target planeswalker loses all abilities.
• Draw a card.
• Add one mana of any color.
• Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes planeswalkers, so a land that helps him cast them is something he definitely appreciates. He's not a fan of exiling his own planeswalkers to craft this, but sometimes it will be helpful, like if you have an additional copy of that planeswalker in your hand that you want to play for example, at least craft gives him a use for the old copy that's already on the battlefield and that would have been lost to the legend rule. Definitely open-ended enough for Johnny. Spike likes this both for mana production and deck thinning, as the back face won't take an extra card slot.
Elegance 3/3 - The shortest text of the round, and I want to prize that. It's also perfectly understandable and a single reading is enough to get what is does.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - The only problem is the "add one mana of any color" on the back face, that requires white and blue mana to reach, and that ability is in neither of those two colors. You could see it tied to being a land on the front face, but it still looks out of place to me on the back face. All the rest is good here.
Balance 3/3 - A land with multiple restriction on the front face, that looks good enough, potentially for constructed too, not just limited. An artifact with a repeatable "command" on the back face looks very powerful, especially when you don't have to dedicate any card slots for it in your deck, the only requirement besides colors of mana is having though planeswalkers in your deck to make the craft cost worth it, and there are decks, including but not limited to the so-called "Superfriends" deck, that fit with that description. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - There are new ideas here, like for example restricting mana on a card type and a specific ability at the same time, and also a "command" on a permanent.
Flavor 3/3 - While working in his workshop on Ixalan to create the Immortal Sun, Azor knew it would have required a planeswalker spark, and had already foreseen it in his prototype. Very good flavor, and it fits perfectly in to existing canon.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - A comma is missing in the second ability between the words "craft" and "or". Magic uses the Oxford comma. (-0.5)
TOTAL 23/25

Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
5 months ago
Soulless Gnome 2
Artifact Creature — Gnome (U)
Whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you gain 1 life.
Craft with one or more nonartifact creatures 4B (4B, Exile this artifact, Exile one or more other nonartifact creatures you control and/or nonartifact creature cards from your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
1/3
///
Soul-Fueled Abomination
• Artifact Creature — Gnome Horror (U)
Menace
Whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, each opponent loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards used to craft Soul-Fueled Abomination.
It used to yearn for a soul of its own. Now it wants to rid Ixalan of them.
4/4
Design
Appeal 2/3 - A bit small for Timmy on the front face, but he likes all the rest. Johnny can build potentially infinite life gain or life loss combos very easily with the triggered abilities on both faces. Some Spikes might like this, but I don't think they will ever exile more than one creature to craft to avoid increasing the card disadvantage.
Elegance 1.5/3 - The triggers and kind of effect being the same on both faces theoretically helps. The effects are not optional though, which can cause memory issues. I can see a lot of judge calls in tournaments for missed trigger.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - This is self-balancing in a way: if you want to increase the life drain on the back face you will have to also increase the card disadvantage due to crafting this with a lot of cards. That's nice. Playable in limited thought I'm not sure about constructed. "Each opponent" on the back face is obviously relevant in multiplayer. I see no problems with this card in casual.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing really new here.
Flavor 2/3 - MSE shows me up to four lines of flavor text could have fit on the front face. The names and card concept are good.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - Confronting the craft materials with the reminder text, the word "other" is missing in the craft materials. It's true that it can never be this card anyway because you're already exiling it for the rest of the craft cost, but I'm convinced that if this card were printed for real, the word "other" would also be in the craft materials, at the very least for clarity. (-0.5) On the back face, the word "exiled" is missing between "of" and "cards used to craft". (-0.5)
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. To quote Ralph Wiggum: "nonartifact creatures aren't artifacts!" Thanks, Ralph.
TOTAL 18/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Caspernicus wrote:
5 months ago
Historian's Tome
Artifact (R)
: Copy target activated or triggered ability you control from a battle or Saga source. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Craft with one or more battles and/or Sagas 3WB (3WB, Exile this artifact, Exile one or more battles and/or Sagas from among permanents you control and/or cards in your graveyard: Return this card transformed under its owner's control. Craft only as a sorcery.)
///
Book of Legendary Feats (white & black)
Artifact
Saga spells you cast have read ahead. (As you cast a Saga spell, choose a chapter and start with that many lore counters. Skipped chapters don't trigger.)
Whenever you cast a battle spell, create a 2/2 white and black Knight creature token with menace.
, : Cast an exiled battle or Saga card used to craft Book of Legendary Feats without paying its mana cost. Activate only as a sorcery.
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy likes this in a vacuum, Johnny absolutely loves this, especially the copying ability, and Spike likes the free casting ability on the back face at the very least. Everyone dislikes that this is essentially a blank card in a deck that doesn't have a lot of Sagas and/or battles. Sagas are deciduous, but battles have only ever been in one set so far.
Elegance 2/3 - The text is a bit long and there is some board complexity to be taken into account here.
Development
Viability 1.5/3 - So, this is a card associated with white and black. Let's see. Copying abilities is blue and maybe green. Yes, Sagas are enchantments and white is primary in interacting with enchantments, but I'm not sure that's enough. Giving read ahead to Sagas just feels blue to me. Any color could create a 2/2 token, but menace pushes it towards black and red. Casting spells for free is also blue. I feel like overall I've mentioned a lot the other colors, not white and black. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 1.5/3 - Rate and costs look fine to me. This just needs to be in an environment with a lot of Sagas and/or battles. It would have felt at home in MOM, much less in LCI. This is true for both limited and constructed. I see no additional problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Explicit battle interaction is definitely new, though it will inevitably happen at some point in the future. Putting together battles and Sagas is also new.
Flavor 1.5/3 - Everything's fine here, but the colors are what doesn't fully convince me. White represents Sagas, that's clear. Does black represent battles? If so, I think red would have better flavorfully. You wouldn't have lost anything, and actually you would have gained in other areas too: red can copy abilities on the front face, and also has menace on the back face (the tokens), so you wouldn't even have to change that. I see red as a much better flavor fit rather than black for this card. If you think in terms of the Strixhaven colleges, this card concept is much more Lorehold than Silverquill.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. The only artifact Saga that exists (Greatest Show in the Multiverse) is acorn/silver border, so it doesn't count as precedent here.
TOTAL 18/25

Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 22
Komandon: 21.5

kwanyeegor-ii: 15.5
Raptorchan: 23

Subject16: 18
Caspernicus: 18

Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Commodore Guff players certainly want this card! Beyond that, it's mostly a Jxnny-Spike card - Txmmy likes planeswalkers for their ultimates, not necessarily in the abstract.
(2/3) Elegance - The front face's mana of any color ability is a bit wordy, owing to the different things the mana can be used for. The back face also has four modes, which adds to the complexity.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely rare, definitely a legendary artifact, and the back face's abilities all have something WU to them.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, pushed but fair - any land with this amount of utility is strong, but ultimately the craft ability is relatively narrow given the number of planeswalkers in a given Standard. I'd say this card would get Commander use however.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Obviously this is a homage card, and the land face is just another variant of an old idea (tap for colorless for anything, tap for any color for a specific purpose), but there are also unique features such as craft on a land, a unique craft material, and the back face's command-style ability.
(3/3) Flavor - Function definitely matches the flavor. The back is reminiscent of the original The Immortal Sun and the colors of the color identity help tie the card to Azor.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Mana ability should say "Spend this mana only to cast a planeswalker spell or spell with craft or activate a craft ability." Also, it feels like the name of the back face should be "Prototype of the Immortal Sun".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny/Spike card - Txmmy has little reason to care but both other psychographics would have a place for this.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Front face is very understandable, back face is just a bit wordy.

Development
(3/3) Viability - While gain-control abilities are tertiary in black, I feel like doing it this way fits in-color. So colors and rarity are alright in my opinion.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing objectionable here - a Mind Control is strong but the back side of this card is mostly a downgrade on your usual gain-control effects, with a weaker creature and losing life every turn for the upsides of deathtouch and possibly getting better typal synergies.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Draws on past precedent but the resulting card is unique.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Pretty clear flavor to mechanics matchup and even a good flavorful reason for the craft ability, but if this is meant to be an Ixalan mycoid, they certainly control people without any relationship to real-world cordyceps fungi, so the flavor's a bit off there.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - That first ability should say "you may return up to one", but then again you only need to say "you may return" or "return up to one", not both. The ability is just formatted is "craft with" and there's no need for an "a". Finally, the back face is missing a comma: "Enchanted creature gets -1/-1, has deathtouch, and is a black Fungus..."

Total: 20.5/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Definite appeal for Txmmy and Jxnny. For Spike it'd depend on what Sagas and battles were in the Standard environment, but in general they do like copying powerful abilities.
(2/3) Elegance - Front face is generally fine even if copying abilities has inherent complexity to it. Back face has three abilities that, while all individually simple to understand, are somewhat wordy.

Development
(3/3) Viability - There's not really any specific color pie place for these effects, but WB feels decent enough and this is definitely a rare.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - depends entirely on specific other cards, so if this is powerful, it's only because the Sagas and battles available are OP.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Interacting with Sagas and battles together is unique, but we already have a card that grants read ahead in Barbara Wright.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The flavor explains the mechanic of putting Sagas and battles together well enough, but something's just missing for me - maybe it's just that the names feel too generic.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Saga spells having read ahead is basically pointless, since you make the read ahead choice after the object is no longer on the stack and therefore no longer a spell, and you'd have to give the ability to permanents - see the aforementioned Barbara Wright.

Total: 22.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - The kind of ramp you can get out of the front face and the game-ending splashiness of the back face actually appeal to everyone.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Front face is relatively simple, with the back face being more complicated, especially with the tracking complexity of representing what colors the Golem tokens are.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a rare, definitely an artifact, and it does have a five-color feel to it.
(2.5/3) Balance - The mana ability that front face grants is a bit worrisome - I would say in enchantment decks specifically that don't have summoning sickness to worry about for many of their permanents it's a very hefty amount of ramp. Otherwise, a suitably high craft cost for a very strong back face.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Definitely a mashup card of past effects - Knight of New Alara comes to mind - but the full package is unique.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The title "Gold-Plated Golem" feels kind of underwhelming for what's clearly a significant and powerful artifact creature.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - The activated ability of the back face should not say "target" because it's in a cost.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done (there are multicolored artifacts, but this doesn't check for permanent types).

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - The back definitely appeals to Txmmy, and Jxnny likes anything that says "from anywhere". Spike is maybe sort of tempted to craft the back side with five or seven cards and then self-mill into a win, but ultimately that might be more steps than they would like.
(3/3) Elegance - Very easy to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Uncommon is appropriate. Front face feels like a (colorless) artifact, a la Soul Net, possibly with a tinge of black, and back face is monoblack indeed. Bravo!
(2.5/3) Balance - The back face scales to potentially absurd levels, but only if you have a lot of creature cards to exile. Still, that's sometimes trivial to do...

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Takes some inspo from the likes of Dreadhound, but also has unique features.
(3/3) Flavor - I like this a lot and "Gnome Horror" is kind of a wild typeline.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 23/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Who out of the psychographics is a big fan of enchant worlds world enchantments? Maybe Vorthos? Since this is only about the core three I will point out that despite the power of the ETB ability, Spike's not exactly all about world enchantments.dek, and it's a bit complicated to get to the huge beater on the back side for Txmmy. Jxnny is who this card is mostly for, but half points from the others.
(0.5/3) Elegance - Front face is fine, if wordy. Back face... oof, that losing-abilities ability is a sleeper judge-call bomb. This is a card that feels complex simply for the sake of being complex.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Front face feels black, back face feels suitably WUBRG, and the rarity is right, but I have to ding a viability point simply for involving world enchantments. It's hard to imagine a set where those would be brought back, after all.
(2/3) Balance - What are the best cards to use as craft materials here? Concordant Crossroads is an obvious pick. This card effectively makes its own Serra Aviary. And then serious griefer cards like The Abyss and Nether Void, which can be turned off on the controller's turn. Not OP by itself, craft materials are very obscure, but if you're using the right (or wrong) ones this can be a shockingly obnoxious commander.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Have to give you full points here.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Definitely some good Ixalan references, but hard to wrap my head around.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Missing a period on the back face and I'm really not sure how to word that losing-abilities ability.

Total: 18.5/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Final scores:

slimytrout: 22 + 22 = 44
Komandon: 21.5 + 20.5 = 42

kwanyeegor-ii: 15.5 + 18.5 = 34
Raptorchan: 23 + 21.5 = 44.5

Subject16: 18 + 23 = 41
Caspernicus: 18 + 22.5 = 40.5

The finalists are slimytrout, Raptorchan, and Subject16. Final round to come in a few minutes.

As a final comment, I will say I liked a lot to make the Round 3 pairings based on scores from the previous rounds, it felt fair to me and overall it looks like it went very smoothly. I think I might do it again the next time I host (probably in March for the MKM month). For now, out of the changes being tried in January (that again do NOT apply to December rounds except this specific one that I decided to try early), I admit this is the one I like the most. I'm still reserving judgments on the other ones, but that doesn't matter here in December. Going to prepare the final round right now.

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”