What do you think of my EDH guides website?

OneOfThoseBeebles
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneOfThoseBeebles » 5 months ago

Hello there everyone. Happy new year!

About a year ago I hopped on the forums to join in on a discussion that was going on about my EDH guides. That was a fun exchange! In the meantime I was able to realize a website for them. I recently figured it would be nice to come back here to continue the conversation and ask you what you think of the site. Perhaps it can even be a contender for the Commander Resources sticky 🤞? Who knows!

I would love to hear what you think. You can find it at https://www.edhmultiverse.com

GL & HF,

Beebles

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 5 months ago

Having two rows of numbers instead of one is definitely a clearer way in describing a deck. I'm a 3-3.

OneOfThoseBeebles
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneOfThoseBeebles » 5 months ago

If you say so… Of course we both know using numbers to describe decks is not useful at all, unless everyone knows and uses the same system. I don't blame you for thinking this would be the intended use of my guides, because this seems to be the predominant presumption people have about power level guides. But the site clearly states (like three times) that is not the indented use here. Instead I argue for different applications for power level guides.

Using only numbers to align on an EDH game like only using restaurant review scores to get on the same page about where we want to go for dinner tonight. It's not an appropriate means for getting on the same page about the preferred table experience. It doesn't work for a "social first" format. The categories and rankings might still be useful for your own personal understanding of the EDH landscape and to assess where your different decks fall, but they're not suitable as the go-to language for aligning on the game itself.

During a pregame talk, instead of using the numbers (or labels like "low", "mid" or "high"), players can use these guides to assess the preferred gameplay experience of the group without having to refer to the guides themselves. They can do so by using the universally observable expressions of the gameplay experience that the guides present: the things you can actually see happening during the game. Such as: "What is the critical turn range we're aiming for?" (at what turn range do we expect players to go for a winning play) and "how much can we tolerate other players preventing us from playing our game?" (what level of interaction and/or denial are we ok with). That is using language everyone can understand and doesn't require the table to all master any chart or the meaning of a set of unit-less numbers.

In other words, the aim of these guides is to teach people how they can align on games without having to use numbers, categories, or having to share a glossary with the rest of the table. Their use is to help individuals change their behavior. Not to standardize levels of play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”